The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Ah well

the dream was nice while it lasted.

Sad that we cant even lure hometown guys to the city. Even with new management. I should say, witout overpaying.

IF the reports are true, would love to hear his reasoning, as we know for fact that the habs want to bring him in.

Well supposedly Jagr was very interested in Montreal in the past, but it wasn't neutral.

Nobody really knows how these negotiations go though. For all we know Vinny was given a free oil well in Texas and never considered anywhere else. For all we know he's signing in Montreal tomorrow.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Gio,Cammy,Cole..

That being said I was most surprised we got Prust. :laugh: A lot of teams wanted him.
Of course it's untrue to say we never get any UFAs. But the hyped up ones? Think Hull, Shanahan, Briere, Hossa, Richards, Suter, Parise, etc.

The guys you named weren't the "it" guys. They were good and important signings though, not disputing that.

Last edited:

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Why?

He's a UFA, he gets to decide where he signs, just like every other UFA...

There's no need to get emotional about it.

That being said, I'd love to have him here, but I don't feel like he's obligated to...

You cant say all your life that you love a city and that it would be a dream to play with your childhood team and dont sing with them when you have the opportunity to do it. When they are a really good team and when they want you.

If he says no and sign somewhere else it just shows that he is a lier and that we never should have applaud him like we did at the allstar game. Cauze what he said was BS.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 38s
I could be totally wrong, but gut feeling says Boston, Dallas and Detroit top options for Lecavalier if Montreal is a No... but guessing...

LeBrun hasn't jumped on the Dallas train. But he's speculating.

Will some tell Pierre Detroit is OUT of VL running....published in print....done
He isnt goin to Detroit

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Vinny is NOT the answer. He's a short-term fix to a much longer-term need.

I like Vinny. I'd be good with a two-year deal, assuming Bergevin is planning to stock the team for a playoff run in 2014. But if we're planning to peak in three years, Vinny's contribution starts to look very small, while his supposed $5M cap hit starts to look very, very big. Precisely what we DON'T need.

Move on...

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 38s
I could be totally wrong, but gut feeling says Boston, Dallas and Detroit top options for Lecavalier if Montreal is a No... but guessing...

LeBrun hasn't jumped on the Dallas train. But he's speculating.

Lol our chances are good, the way I see it...

- Habs or boston
- Habs or Dallas
- Habs or Detroit

Sounds like we have more chances than any other team.

I think some reporters don't want to talk about MTL because it's too obvious.

Though I remember the jagr to pens reports.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
For all we know, Vinny really wants to play for Montreal, but Bergevin insists on a 2 years contract @ 2.85M per...

I mean, he had some success with this approach in the past. :sarcasm:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
For all we know, Vinny really wants to play for Montreal, but Bergevin insists on a 2 years contract @ 2.75M per...

I mean, he had some success with this approach in the past. :sarcasm:

Bergevin is surely offering Vinny a bridge contract...:D

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Vinny is NOT the answer. He's a short-term fix to a much longer-term need.

I like Vinny. I'd be good with a two-year deal, assuming Bergevin is planning to stock the team for a playoff run in 2014. But if we're planning to peak in three years, Vinny's contribution starts to look very small, while his supposed $5M cap hit starts to look very, very big. Precisely what we DON'T need.

Move on...

the cap will go up.
Gionta, Markov wont be around.

Cap hit of 5 mil wont sink us

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why would Boston be willing to spend $5M on a 33-year-old Vinny and not on a 27-year-old Horton? Makes no sense; Chiarelli's crunched for cash.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Option A ) get swarmed by journalists and fans for the 4-5 years you play here

Option B) be universally hated by every hockey fan from your home city and jeered any time you visit.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Why would Boston be willing to spend $5M on a 33-year-old Vinny and not on a 27-year-old Horton? Makes no sense; Chiarelli's crunched for cash.

Because that's not the reality at all and it's just mindless speculation ahead of July 5th.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Option A ) get swarmed by journalists and fans for the 4-5 years you play here

Option B) be universally hated by every hockey fan from your home city and jeered any time you visit.

If by swarmed by journalists you mean get peewee league questions once a week from whiskey-nosed, lazy journalists who'd rather focus on charity drives, your family and/or your off-ice contributions, then yeah, your two options seem about right.

Apr 28, 2010
I really dont want Vinny in montreal. I dont think he fits in. Am I the only one? Dallas is a perfect place for him.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Horton told Boston he was going to test the market. Rumors are his wife prefers the hot weather

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
You cant say all your life that you love a city and that it would be a dream to play with your childhood team and dont sing with them when you have the opportunity to do it. When they are a really good team and when they want you.

If he says no and sign somewhere else it just shows that he is a lier and that we never should have applaud him like we did at the allstar game. Cauze what he said was BS.

That doesn't make him a liar. It just means like 99.9% of professional athletes, childhood dreams are non-factor.

Professional athletes don't think like fans do. Their emotional investment is in their own game and their teammates that change every year, not sentimental loyalty.

Just because Lecavalier is from Montreal doesn't mean he wants to subject his family to 24/7 media attention. His kids have grown up mainly in Florida. I love Montreal and would rather live there than where I live now, but I can see how I'd think differently if I had a family to worry about. I have no idea what language he speaks with his kids at home, but I'm guessing they spent their entire lives going to English speaking schools in the U.S.

And of course Montreal could only have short term plans for him, while other teams are offering him more certainty.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Maybe Lecavalier doesn't want to come here because he is scared of Renaud Lavoie. Maybe they aren't really friends and Lavoie stalks him like Jee stalks Pyretta.

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
I was bored...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 7

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I really dont want Vinny in montreal. I dont think he fits in. Am I the only one? Dallas is a perfect place for him.

Since the lockout, we've had ONE well-sized top6 centre and his name was Robert Lang.

A 6'4" top6 centre fits the Hab as well as anything could fit in with anything. Legos. Ikea pieces. Me with the cool kids. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->