The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Just read the news this morning.

I'd say big LOL at those saying it's a done deal AND those saying Vinny won't come here ever.

I think MB will submit an offer, maybe a reasonable one. We have cap space no problem and can manage that.

But then, really, it will be up to Vinny. Another team will offer more than the Habs, that's almost a given.

Vinny will be a Habs if he really wants to. The rest is pure speculation. Just journalist saying what they think and what they supposedly 'heard'.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Just read the news this morning.

I'd say big LOL at those saying it's a done deal AND those saying Vinny won't come here ever.

I think MB will submit an offer, maybe a reasonable one. We have cap space no problem and can manage that.

But then, really, it will be up to Vinny. Another team will offer more than the Habs, that's almost a given.

Vinny will be a Habs if he really wants to. The rest is pure speculation. Just journalist saying what they think and what they supposedly 'heard'.

+1 Marc Bergevin will do his job by submitting an offer. After that it's up to Lecavalier to accept it or turning down it. No headache there.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
How early can he be signed? Could it happen today? I really don't know the rules on these things.

From my understanding, when the FA market opens, which means july 5th.

But I'm probably wrong, because I suck at this.

Analyzer*

Any player bought out cannot sign until July 5th.

There's a 2 day period (July 3rd and 4th) where teams can talk to the UFAs, but no contract can be signed until July 5th.

Also, Brad May is apparently reporting that Lecavalier WON'T sign in Canada.

It is Brad May, though...

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
From my understanding, when the FA market opens, which means july 5th.

But I'm probably wrong, because I suck at this.

Nope you're right! Teams can only sign him on July 5th but since he's being bought out, teams could start talking to his agent as soon as Vinny was advised. This rule has to do with the buyout thing.

Renaud Lavoie ‏
@RenLavoieRDS 14h All teams can talk to Vincent Lecavalier and his agent Kent Hughes. No contract can be signed before July 5th. #RDS

Last edited:

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal

There's a 2 day period (July 3rd and 4th) where teams can talk to the UFAs, but no contract can be signed until July 5th.

Ah ****, I was really hoping for some Vinny trade drama at the draft...

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010

I'm pretty positive that as soon as he bought out, teams can contact his agent to know if there's any interest.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Vinny is exactly the player the habs need for the next 3-4 years.
Vinny already has a condo in montreal, already knows everyone here, already knows MB and a few other in the habs management, already has 1/2 his family here in Montreal already has his secret personal workout gym on Donegani if MB offers him to match any offer and he still refuses! what will that tell you about Vinny.

Analyzer*

I'm pretty positive that as soon as he bought out, teams can contact his agent to know if there's any interest.

They can for those bought out. The other part was meant for regular ufas (?)

I should have specified. My bad.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Is Vinny married to a French Canadian? At this point it should be about family for him. That will be the big draw here.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Do these buyouts UFAs have any 'rights' that can be traded for?

I guess not, but it would be nice for TB to get a conditional 5th round pick. That would be the most expensive 5th round pick ever! :laugh:

And, ladies and gentlemen, we just reached over 1000 posts on Vinny. The main board is around 860 posts and TB board is at 244.

So yeah ---> we are :loony: (not like it's newsworthy at this point)

CoconutHockey*

The 2 day period does not apply for UFA that have been bought out by their team. Teams can start talking to these players as soon as they clear waivers & become UFA.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Is Vinny married to a French Canadian? At this point it should be about family for him. That will be the big draw here.

That may be the big factor, actually. He's married with two kids.

You guys think only about hockey. Hockey is a given for him. He's gonna play for the next 4-5 years anyway. So he actually thinks about having a stable situation WITH his wife and kids.

Mama Lecavalier will complain that she doesn't see her grandchildren enough and a deal will be signed, for all we know. :laugh:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The 2 day period does not apply for UFA that have been bought out by their team. Teams can start talking to these players as soon as they clear waivers & become UFA.

That would make sense, because they can't re-sign with their team, so they don't have any 'rights'.

And Gomez would still be waiting... :laugh:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That may be the big factor, actually. He's married with two kids.

You guys think only about hockey. Hockey is a given for him. He's gonna play for the next 4-5 years anyway. So he actually thinks about having a stable situation WITH his wife and kids.

Mama Lecavalier will complain that she doesn't see her grandchildren enough and a deal will be signed, for all we know. :laugh:

Plus it's not like the team sucks. We're not the Flames here.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
All the stars are aligned to have him sign in MTL... but it is really up to him. I am 100% certain that Bergevin will make a strong offer.

He'll be glorified if he accepts it or villified if he doesn't.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Plus it's not like the team sucks. We're not the Flames here.

Exactly. A few years ago he might have thought "I don't want to go to a team on the fall..." but now that the Habs have turned it around he can say "Hell yeah, this team is getting better" and he could provide a great mentor role to a lot of our young guys, plus he could still get great top 6 minutes. Plus the hero coming home stuff...

I really hope he signs with the Habs (or if he plans on going back to TB soon-ish and doesn't pick the Habs, I hope it's the Blackhawks).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Exactly. A few years ago he might have thought "I don't want to go to a team on the fall..." but now that the Habs have turned it around he can say "Hell yeah, this team is getting better" and he could provide a great mentor role to a lot of our young guys, plus he could still get great top 6 minutes. Plus the hero coming home stuff...

I really hope he signs with the Habs (or if he plans on going back to TB soon-ish and doesn't pick the Habs, I hope it's the Blackhawks).

Some teams might give him the opportunity to be "the guy", but I think he's passed that. I don't think he's capable anymore, and he probably realizes this too. Now the Catch 22 is the Habs would not need him to be the guy, but the media might proclaim him to be. This is the drawback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad