The Utica Comets Thread | Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Game a testimony to the ignorance of our organization

Virtanen does nothing of any kind of sustained nature. His effort level and IQ are dismal. Every shot he does get is a muffin into the goalies crest. His motto seems to be that if at first you don't succeed, just quit. Looks confused, unfocused and remains a target for the other team. Lamely accepts any trash meted out to him acting the part of a lost puppy.

How does a player like this get drafted 6th overall? Go ask Dim Jim and the rest of our scouts.

Jensen plays like a stud. Best player by far in this game. Would clearly be on the Canucks at this point. Of course, traded for the dreadful and clueless Etem. And naturally we had to throw in a draft choice to get this deal done.

How does a deal like this get made? Well when you have professional management like NYR does, it isn't difficult take old Jim and bend him over badly.

You can forget about tanking, forget the wild dream some prospects are going to save us, and forget about any meaningful moves at the deadline. This franchise is going nowhere with dunces like Benning and his cohorts in charge.

Edmonton staggered around for years making horrible deals, horrible drafts with bonehead management and we will do the same. Fans should demand a thorough house cleaning.

Rough.

Yeah I didn't think much of Jensen or that trade but given our abhorrent depth and the plugs on our roster I think I need to re-assess that deal.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Jensen wouldn't be producing the same if he was still in Utica. I'm sure I will get bashed for this but IMHO Green is overrated when it comes to developing prospects.

Considering we've had zero successful prospects develop under him I don't think that's much of a stretch.

This "Travis Green will sort Virtanen out" nonsense.... :laugh:.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Considering we've had zero successful prospects develop under him I don't think that's much of a stretch.

As a Comets fan first I like the fact that Green emphasizes winning over developing but I would be less than honest if I didn't recognize that fact and think it's Green putting his quest for an NHL coaching job over developing NHL players for Vancouver.

Demko didn't dress for back to back games with the flu and Bachman got on a hot streak. Now Demko has been pretty much stapled to the bench (one start in the last nine games) because he has been winning with Bachman. I can't believe Vancouver management is allowing this to happen.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
As a Comets fan first I like the fact that Green emphasizes winning over developing but I would be less than honest if I didn't recognize that fact and think it's Green putting his quest for an NHL coaching job over developing NHL players for Vancouver.

Demko didn't dress for back to back games with the flu and Bachman got on a hot streak. Now Demko has been pretty much stapled to the bench (one start in the last nine games) because he has been winning with Bachman. I can't believe Vancouver management is allowing this to happen.

Yep I agree. This has been pretty obvious since he refused to play Virtanen/Hutton a couple years ago, and now he has Virtanen (our #4 prospect) skating with career AHL plugs and Demko (our #3) riding pine. Really have no clue why anyone thinks otherwise, because I guess Baertschi once went on one of his many hot streaks while down there.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Yep I agree. This has been pretty obvious since he refused to play Virtanen/Hutton a couple years ago, and now he has Virtanen (our #4 prospect) skating with career AHL plugs and Demko (our #3) riding pine. Really have no clue why anyone thinks otherwise, because I guess Baertschi once went on one of his many hot streaks while down there.

tbf, i'd like to see how many quality future nhl forwards are down in Utica...lets see.....
nope i see no one :(

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

All you have to do is go back and listen to the radio interview with Baertachi at the time of the trade. He was ecstatic about getting out of the Calgary organization. Green inherited a highly motivated skilled player at the end of the season on a mission to prove something.

Green does a great job of taking a suspect lineup and turning them into a hard working grind it out unit that probably wins more often than they should. But does he really develop prospects for the NHL? I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Game a testimony to the ignorance of our organization

Virtanen does nothing of any kind of sustained nature. His effort level and IQ are dismal. Every shot he does get is a muffin into the goalies crest. His motto seems to be that if at first you don't succeed, just quit. Looks confused, unfocused and remains a target for the other team. Lamely accepts any trash meted out to him acting the part of a lost puppy.

How does a player like this get drafted 6th overall? Go ask Dim Jim and the rest of our scouts.

Jensen plays like a stud. Best player by far in this game. Would clearly be on the Canucks at this point. Of course, traded for the dreadful and clueless Etem. And naturally we had to throw in a draft choice to get this deal done.

How does a deal like this get made? Well when you have professional management like NYR does, it isn't difficult take old Jim and bend him over badly.

You can forget about tanking, forget the wild dream some prospects are going to save us, and forget about any meaningful moves at the deadline. This franchise is going nowhere with dunces like Benning and his cohorts in charge.

Edmonton staggered around for years making horrible deals, horrible drafts with bonehead management and we will do the same. Fans should demand a thorough house cleaning.
Good post and offers some food for thought.

I do subscribe to the belief that the Virtanen pick was decided before Benning (Gallagher tweet about ownership involvement, MS's point about GM's not bearing credit for the first draft), but Benning obviously bears some fault there as well, either by supporting the decision or simply not opposing that decision.

I'd be surprised to see Jensen playing that well. Never really saw anything in him, and I don't think losing him is some major issue. Of course, if the decision is symptomatic of a larger flaw in this management team's pro evaluation, then that's worrying.

I'd definitely like to hear more of your thoughts on this management's deals/drafts as a whole. Source of light in these dark times.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another meh game by Virtanen from the sounds of things....the guy who deserves another shot on the Canucks fourth line is Archie....having a great season...can't believe he wouldn't bring more to the table as a grinder and occasional scorer than just anybody else the Canucks are auditioning on the fourth line.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Well he's not been given much to develop. Virtanen has been ass and was ass before he got dumped to the ahl.

Demko is the goalie coach's job. He's struggled with the step up.

The only guy that could have had more was Hutton and that was only a few games late in the year.

Gaunce and Shinkaruk made progress especially in their second years. Jensen rounded out his game. None of these are high end products though.

Garbage in garbage out.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Another meh game by Virtanen from the sounds of things....the guy who deserves another shot on the Canucks fourth line is Archie....having a great season...can't believe he wouldn't bring more to the table as a grinder and occasional scorer than just anybody else the Canucks are auditioning on the fourth line.

They'd have to sign him first.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Come on! Demko was sick enough to require a PTO 2 straight games.
You think he was hale and hardy right after those 2 days? This particular illness kicks the **** out of the recipients for a good two weeks. He might have felt well enough to sit on the bench, but to perform at a top notch professional level would be highly questionable.

Then Bachman went on a terrific run. Green has been rotating them all along except for 2 instances. Demko got a run when Bachman was hurt and when Bachman returned, he sat while the run lasted. Then Demko sat a couple while Bachman ran his streak out.

Demko started the last game before the break. Bachman got the start last night. Tuesday Demko will go and Friday Bachman will get Toronto and so on. A real outstanding game may net either guy an extra start and if he keeps going he will be ridden. That's the way it's been done forever especially with a rookie goalie.

As to his not giving prospects the proper development tell me who that might be.

2013/14:
Grenier - 68GP, PP time, 17G/22A

Darren Archibald - considered a prospect then, but showed he was not top 6 quality and mustered 10G/12A as a grinding winger with DeFazio who put up 17G/17A

Frank Corrado - 59 GP with time out for trips to Vancouver. Played in all situations.

Nick Jensen - Pouted for a month because Vancouver demoted him. Then became a one man team every time he went on the ice. Passed to no one and griped when no one passed to him and then decided defense was not a necessary task intended for his indulgence. Face it he had a serious attitude problem in his first year.

Alex Friesen had trouble looking like he even belonged in the league.

Kellan Lain was no prospect. All you had to do was watch him for a couple shifts. He was big, could hit, and that was it. He couldn't skate at this level and his future years here and elsewhere would bear me out.

Tell me who else might have been abused in that season. The prospects were not exactly blue chippers.

2014-15:

Grenier in yr 2 puts up 43 points and proves he has little idea of what to do when he doesn't have the puck and defense is something he is still trying to figure out. Green fixes that with him and with Jensen and as Stevie Y learned a ways into his career, in order to be a complete hockey player you have to play both ends of the rink and it sometimes means you sacrifice a little offense in order for that to happen.

When Baertschi arrives O'Reilly gets Jensen and Grenier.
Friesen gets to center Baertschi and Conacher.

Corrado gets big ice time all season when he's not sitting in the Vancouver press box. In the playoffs, he gets hurt and comes back to play injured and does a great job playing hurt all the way to the final game. Except for those who need to know the rest of us aren't aware of the severity of his injury.

Who else was a serious prospect? Shinkaruk and Gaunce are rookies.
Shink plays the first half of the season conditioning on the fly while recovering from a serious injury and surgery. Yet he plays 74 of the team's 76 games, scores 16 goals and 31 points most accrued in the second half of the season. Gaunce also played 74 games and put up 11G/29Pts. He is being used as a LW because that's what Vancouver wants. His skating is not the best and he takes shifts off.

The Comets play 23 playoff games. Grenier puts up 15 points, Friesen 10 while centering Conacher and Baertschi, Shink plays every playoff game and musters 4G/6Pts and Gaunce plays 21 and puts up 4G/9Pts.

Just exactly how are these prospects being deprived of top opportunities to develop? Feel free to point out any I left out.

2015-16:

The kids are supposed to take over and shoulder the heavy loads.

Shinkaruk does what he was expected to do when healthy, lights up the league and leads his team offensively with 21G/39 Pts in 45 GP and is traded.

After the trade Grenier leads the team in points in his 3rd season as a Vancouver prospect in Utica.

Gaunce puts up 38 Pts in only 46 GP due to up and down stints with Vancouver.

At one point Gaunce ends up centering Shink and Grenier.
With Shink gone Gaunce picked up Higgins.

Jensen skates in some combination with Vey, Gaunce, Grenier, Shinkaruk, Friesen, and Archibald.

By mid season Vey is gone, and Gaunce spends a lot of time in Vancouver, Shink and Jensen are traded, the team is loaded up with PTOs and Friesen is centering a line with Kenins on his left and Bancks on his right. An AHL trade at the AHL deadline brings in TJ Hensick to center Grenier and Labate.

Cassels is a major disappointment since he comes to camp with no off season work, out of shape, and rehabbing an injury yet Green plays him in 67 games and he totals 7 points. His newcomer partner is Joe LaBate, big boy, heavy hitter, not the fastest afoot and far from a slick puck handler. He plays 66 games and gets 10G/10A/20Pts.

Mike Zalewski, unsigned by the Canucks after one season, gets enough prime opportunities and plays so well that Vancouver has to reconsider and give him a new contract.

Subban plays 67 games and puts up 11G/36Pts in a rookie season where he is also trying to learn how to play D on the fly.

Pedan has been given every opportunity to shine when he's here. He may be the most brain dead defender I've seen since Sauve. He's a much better D-man, but makes the same kind of head scratching passes, puck muffs, and turnovers trying to run with the puck. The only thing keeping Andrey from the next level is Andrey and his hockey IQ.

Sautner was not good and still isn't. He wasn't drafted and his play has shown why. In spite of this fact he got 50 games last season due the manpower debacle. He got more of a chance than he would have in a regular situation and could have made some real hay, but that didn't happen.

2016-17:

Grenier is still here and once again is #1 in points with 14G/35Pts.

An ECHL grad on his third AHL contract and a journeyman third line, energy, hitter, fighter let go by Vancouver after his ELC and signed twice now to AHL contracts by the Comets are 2nd and third in team scoring. Valk has 12G/30Pts and Archibald has 14G/29Pts.

These three comprise the first line and none are really prospects, though by definition Grenier is and Valk could be.

Subban playing in every offensive situation is an AHL All-Star and 4th in team scoring with 10G/24Pts.

Evan McEneny in his 3rd pro season, but first in the AHL has been given more and more responsibility. He is getting PK and PP duty and handling it well and putting up points.

Cassels gets all kinds of ice time and has managed 7 points in 37 GP. He has been given the added responsibility of killing penalties.

Carcone is the same issue as Cassels. Lots of ice time and little production, 6 points in 35 GP.

Sautner was injured for a big spell and has played 22 games has 2 assists and is the weakest defender in any combination of 6 Green dresses for any game, but he keeps getting game time.

Zalewski began the season coming off a serious concussion at the end of last season and 10 games in it's likely he suffered another. He has played 15 games since returning and has 7 points in that time. His game looks like the old Z right now, so we'll see where that takes him.

Demko has played 22 games to Bachman's 20. Pretty much what I would expect in a season as a rookie paired with a vet being paid $575,000 and under contract for the 2017-18 season. They are going to be a tandem this season and when it's over will be close to having played the same # of games as long as neither is injured or goes into the tank.

So, as far as I can see, the prospects who have been assigned to Utica over a 4-yr period have been small in number and many short on talent. Green has given all who made the roster adequate ice time and increased their responsibilities with time. I don't see any way that any of these guys would have been excelling at a higher level under another coach. There have been very few, if any, top of the experts' "NHL players to be" list assigned to the Utica Comets. Subban was close, but Demko is the actual first one and now the epitome of underachieving top draft picks is in town. Gaudette may be the next with high hopes as Boeser likely makes the Canucks out of camp based on Benning's past history.The rest were all hopefuls, but only some of the fan base really had them pegged as anything really special. Those who were labeled are already there and spent very little if any time here.

As to wanting to win, there is not one coach in this league who isn't putting a team on the ice for any other purpose. Their job is to win with what they are handed while playing the prospects accordingly. They are measured by what they can do with said rosters.

I have been round and round with every one of these guys in past posts so I am not going to start up again with any of them. I simply stand by my opinion that Green has given every one of them ample ice and a long enough leash to have become what they could be. Most of the results do finally come down to their efforts, not the coach's.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Jensen wouldn't be producing the same if he was still in Utica. I'm sure I will get bashed for this but IMHO Green is overrated when it comes to developing prospects.

I don't know how overrated he really is. Comet fans for the most part seem to think he's doing a great job and to them, that's probably correct. I'm thinking a lot of 'nucks fan are realizing that Utica hasn't really produced anything for the main team in 4 years so they probably aren't as high on Green (as they were 2 years ago).

Of course when compared to WD, i think most 'nucks fan will prefer just about anyone over WD at this point. You probably can pick a random poster on the forum and fans would be happy if that person became our coach as long as WD gets fired... :laugh: Of course a few games later, the same fans will want that coach fired. :popcorn:

Personally i wouldn't mind Green being our coach @ the NHL level but i'm at the point where i want him gone in the AHL level as soon as we leave Utica (sooner if we stay in Utica for more than 1 year). He seems to have good support in Utica so if we're only staying 1 more year, then he should finish what he started (and hopefully Utica ends with a championship). Again this is due to his track record or lack of record on development.

Also again i agree that Utica probably hasn't had a lot of prospects to work with but Jensen is a prime example of Green failing to develop what he had. Jensen looked so much better in Hartford than he did in Utica. HS also looks better for the Heats than he did for the Comets (tho he was looking good for the Comets before the trade).

Its not just prospects either, Taylor Fedun has looked good for the Sabres this year and has been more productive with both Worcester Sharks/OCK Barons (before Utica) and Rochester (now). So Green doesn't always get the most out of his players, he does for some players but not always

There's also example of players just not developing at all. Kenins for example was actually better for 'nucks than Utica (roughly same number of games during his rookie year) and regressed last year (partly because of injury but at the same time i don't think utica/Green helped at all). He's actually worst now than he was before he signed with us (he resigned with Zurich and has less points than his rookie year in Swiss A). Virtanen looks like he'll be another player ruined by the organization (like Kenins and not just Utica but the whole organization which includes Utica) because his stock has been dropping and dropping pretty quickly the last 2 years (or i guess mostly since World Jr last year).

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I'm not going to quibble with any of your points BG but I'd ask for the converse. Where are the examples of prospects that have developed well under him? After all, the claim was that he was good at developing young players. I am asking for the evidence of this.

Guys like Cassels and now Virtanen have been huge disappointments in Utica. The successful players we've had in Horvat, Hutton, Stecher and Tryamkin have all skipped Utica for the most part.

Maybe it's not fair but I can't help but feel that if Boeser goes to UTica next year he'll be strapped to Wacey Hamilton and people will wonder why he has 3 goals in 20 games or something.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

So which group of forwards would you have him with?
He is not with Bancks and Hamilton any longer. He is with Pelletier a career play maker and Kunyk. I don't know how to label Cody, but I know plug isn't it. He's offensively a better Carcone.

The other so called top line is Darren Archibald and Alex Grenier centered by that historically sound ECHL play maker Curtis Valk.

Then there's Cassels between Carcone and Rendulic.

Tell me where you think he should go.

Jake skated with Valk and Archibald as well as Pelletier both before being put on Hamilton's line with Bancks. Zalewski's health has allowed him to be reunited with Bancks and Hamilton. Now Jake is back with Pascal. After the Valk line, all the other lines have at least one weak link when it comes to scoring.

To be perfectly honest it doesn't seem to matter who Jake skates with, he always seems lost. He gets shots with any of them. He hangs for long stretch passes. He hovers around the perimeter of puck battles. He gets knocked around by whatever group of opponents are on the ice. No team is putting together a special group to skate against Jake. He makes any opponent's job pretty easy to defend against him, by his mostly weak play or lack of involvement.

His good efforts, which are there every game, are just way outnumbered by the not so good shifts. If he puts together a full effort for an entire game, we will see just what Jake has to offer. That's what I'm waiting for before I even begin to assess his chances at the next level. Bo showed it in one shift. Baertschi took a couple of games until he realized Greeen wanted him to play "his" game. Then it was obvious what talent he had. Marksrtom was standing above the rest about half way into his season here. Rodin took one game to display his innate talent on both ends of the ice. I'm hoping Jake has something to show us as to what his whole package is.

If we are all honest about this, the player Jake is supposed to be should be making every player he skates with better. It's not the other way around. If the Comets have to keep mixing and matching to find the best possible players to enable Jake to succeed his career is not going to be bright. This is the 6th overall pick in the NHL. He should not find it difficult to succeed in the AHL. I say succeed. I will never use the term dominate for any player. However, he should be showing why he was a #1 and why he doesn't belong here and he is miles from that right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know, when you look at the AHL rosters of other NHL teams they look remarkably similar to the Comets.....a sprinkle of AHL veterans; later round draft picks or college UFA's who were basically "hopers' when they were drafted or signed.....then maybe 2-3 legitimate NHL prospects.

It's a fact that for most of the NHL bottom-feeders, their first-round draft picks rarely if ever see much of the AHL. I know the AHL is considered a 'development league', but just not seeing very many high-end NHL players who actually developed there, unless there's an NHL lockout or we're talking about goalies who seem to need the AHL to adjust to pro hockey.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Thank you for the Jensen assessment. I have been stating the ignorance of this trade and have met only with, "Nah", "poo poo", "waaah", "a meaningless harmless trade" "No harm done in a good try by Benning to get something for a guy going nowhere." Jensen was coming into his own when traded and he's been proving it. He didn't need a "change of scenery" just a little more patience.

No way Jensen produces like this under Green if he were still in Utica.

Bottom line is that Jensen is the leading goal scorer on a very bad team. Put Jensen back on a team where he is required to play solid two way hockey and you can cut his goals by at least 50%.

He had his chance in Canucks colors, but chose to pout instead...

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

Demko was sick the first half of that streak. I thought Demko would get two outta the three on that homestand. Lots of games coming up, and I'm sure Demko will get his share.

Bachman has a long history of being inconsistent.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Demko was sick the first half of that streak. I thought Demko would get two outta the three on that homestand. Lots of games coming up, and I'm sure Demko will get his share.

Bachman has a long history of being inconsistent.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Bachman has had some hot streaks in the AHL before, particularly in the playoffs.....but as a smaller goalie, sounds to me like he's starting to get beat up high again....very vulnerable to shots just under the bar....but he's under contract for another year and will be exposed in the expansion draft since every NHL team has to make a goalie available to Vegas.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Oh, by the way Jake got 10 games in those playoffs. Couldn't last 20 seconds/shift and amassed a whopping one assist.

Don't know about what fate Hutton would have met. Benning took him back to Vancouver to prepare for the next season. I do know that the six guys who were out there were the best overall in the playoffs in regards to goals allowed. Their 52 GA were second to the Monarchs' (the Cup winner) 45, but the Comets played 4 more games. The average turned out to be 2.36 GA by the Monarchs and 2.30 GA by the Comets. Based on the stats I'll stand by Green's decision. The defense did not lose the playoffs.

The first 2 games went to OT. 2 of the other 3 were also one goal games. They lost because their scoring let them down. The guy they looked to lead them, Baertschi, had 2 goals. Conacher, the other guy they traded for specifically to add to the offense for the playoffs, had 1. Jensen and O'Reilly had 2 each. Grenier, Corrado, and Acton had one each.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Oh, by the way Jake got 10 games in those playoffs. Couldn't last 20 seconds/shift and amassed a whopping one assist.

Don't know about what fate Hutton would have met. Benning took him back to Vancouver to prepare for the next season. I do know that the six guys who were out there were the best overall in the playoffs in regards to goals allowed. Their 52 GA were second to the Monarchs' (the Cup winner) 45, but the Comets played 4 more games. The average turned out to be 2.36 GA by the Monarchs and 2.30 GA by the Comets. Based on the stats I'll stand by Green's decision. The defense did not lose the playoffs.

The first 2 games went to OT. 2 of the other 3 were also one goal games. They lost because their scoring let them down. The guy they looked to lead them, Baertschi, had 2 goals. Conacher, the other guy they traded for specifically to add to the offense for the playoffs, had 1. Jensen and O'Reilly had 2 each. Grenier, Corrado, and Acton had one each.

What does any of this have to do with Green developing prospects?

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site

Completely agree. :handclap:

The management here has not given Utica much to work with, and I feel for Utica fans for not really having any quality exciting young players to cheer for.

But I don't see the supposed magic that Green works with his players at all. He prefers vets to a fault (Hutton sitting, now Demko sitting) and I don't see him giving young guys much of a chance in what is mostly a development league. Management up here being awful doesn't absolve Green to me - I wouldn't want him to be the next Canucks coach at all. The whole situation is frustrating, from Benning to Willie D to Green himself.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Completely agree. :handclap:

The management here has not given Utica much to work with, and I feel for Utica fans for not really having any quality exciting young players to cheer for.

But I don't see the supposed magic that Green works with his players at all. He prefers vets to a fault (Hutton sitting, now Demko sitting) and I don't see him giving young guys much of a chance in what is mostly a development league. Management up here being awful doesn't absolve Green to me - I wouldn't want him to be the next Canucks coach at all. The whole situation is frustrating, from Benning to Willie D to Green himself.

Not for nothing, but the moves Green made and the lineup he went with was able to pull this crap team outta last place and into a playoff spot....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad