The Utica Comets Thread | Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Still no official word on the Utica call-up for Edler. Biega was not at a.m. practice, Pedan and Robak were. Question answered. Hope the one game conditioning stint was adequate. Then again WD has to play him in oredr for it to matter. Go Bull Dog, Arf! Arf!

Grenier was in the well this morning so it's obvious as well that he's been returned.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still no official word on the Utica call-up for Edler. Biega was not at a.m. practice, Pedan and Robak were. Question answered. Hope the one game conditioning stint was adequate. Then again WD has to play him in oredr for it to matter. Go Bull Dog, Arf! Arf!

Grenier was in the well this morning so it's obvious as well that he's been returned.

So Grenier is back in Utica....you're telling me he was flown across the continent to sit in the pressbox at Denver and the back to Utica?...surely not....but I guess this means Baertschi must be back...and Biega headed back to VanCity....their planes might have passed by each other in the skies....Benning's call-ups from Utica are head-skaker at the best of times.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So Grenier is back in Utica....you're telling me he was flown across the continent to sit in the pressbox at Denver and the back to Utica?...surely not....but I guess this means Baertschi must be back...and Biega headed back to VanCity....their planes might have passed by each other in the skies....Benning's call-ups from Utica are head-skaker at the best of times.

Benning secretly claims all the frequent flyer miles and doles them out to friends and family.

It's definitely true of Grenier.
The return of D-men to Utica this season is just a Benning pulling the rug out from under the Comets fan base.

Stecher assigned to Utica.
Attends the meet and greet the Comets night in preseason.
Plays all 4 road games to start the season.
Called up just before the first game is played in Utica.

Reassigned to Utica on 11/2. He reports to utica instead of St. John's. Will rest up Monday with the rest of the team and practice on Tuesday. Great get to see him on 11/5!

No! NO! No! Recalled on 11/4!!!

Alex Biega, the old Bull Dog, ex-Comets captain assigned to Utica for a reconditioning stint (up to 10 games) on 11/25.
Plays for the Comets in Toronto on 11/26.
Cool we get to see him on 11/30!

No! No! No! Recalled on 11/29!!!

Is this a riot or what?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol....Well I guess Grenier isn't complaining because he got his NHL salary for sitting in the Denver Airport and then in the pressbox for a game....hopefully by now the Canucks have cushions in the pressbox, embroidered with the moniker: "reserved for members of the Utica Comets".:laugh:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
UticaComets; said:
When Jake came to Utica fresh out of juniors and played 10 games with the Comets during the playoffs he hit everything in sight but did next to nothing with the puck. Now he does a little more with the puck (but is capable of so much more) and plays a passive game avoiding contact when ever he can.

IMO,

Jake's game is to hit and the number of hits Jake makes has direct correlation to how happy Jake is as a hockey player.

I conclude this because from what I've read and heard, it's been his recipe for success up till now and why he got drafted so highly.

Now, not only is he down in Utica, he's been asked to stop hitting (based on his most recent interviews).

While I'm not absolving Jake of any culpability, I think our idiot management who are supposed to be smarter than Jake hasn't done Jake any favors with how they have managed him.

I also think there is the potential that Linden and Jimbo has irrevocably damaged the relationship between the Canucks and Jake and Jake's player development trajectory will be in limbo until something drastic changes.

Just like how these two idiots have damaged MY relationship with the Canucks right now. Right now, my relationship with the Canucks are well into the negatives. It's pretty sad actually how poorly I see Linden especially. I saw him getting into his white Escalade in Yaletown the other day and I literally felt disgust. So if I'm feeling the way I'm feeling, and Jake actually has to work for these clowns, I think I can empathize a little bit with how Jake potentially feels.

UticaComets; said:
Is he even the best forward right now in Utica? No and it's not even close. He is the third best player on his line which consist of two guys on AHL contracts....Curtis Valk and Darren Archibald.

How has Jake looked so far? Like a player who is disinterested in being here and putting in a minimal effort. The first step in the process will be when he can stay on the ice for a whole shift instead of consistently coming off early and often at the wrong time considering where the puck and his teammates are.

This isn't a new phenomenom :(

https://streamable.com/b50a

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Lol....Well I guess Grenier isn't complaining because he got his NHL salary for sitting in the Denver Airport and then in the pressbox for a game....hopefully by now the Canucks have cushions in the pressbox, embroidered with the moniker: "reserved for members of the Utica Comets".:laugh:

Now, come on Stecher is up for the second time and likely will stay.

Megna called up 10/24 and still there over 30 days later and has played a whopping 6 games.

Chaput was recalled on 11/7 and he has played 10 games already.

LaBate was recalled on 11/21 and has logged 3 games.

Only one forward sits tonight so at least 2 of these 3 get another game. Maybe all 3 if Skille sits one out.

The Grenier call-up was not the norm and the Comets truly need him in spite of his mind bending forced passes and flubbed shots from shift to shift.

The truth is they really HAVE TO HAVE the other 3 above to have a chance of competing for a play off spot. Also, if they should get in Stecher HAS to be papered for the Comets regardless of how many NHL games he plays. I don't want to hear last season's Hutton tale of how he played a whole season and needs to rest up for next season. Boeser should be signed to an ATO and play as well as any other top prospect who should become available. The Comets lineup below the top 7 or 8 forwards will still be very weak in the goal scoring department and a couple in that top group will have their problems as well and could slide down and push out the bottom weak links like Carcone, Cassels, Kunyk, and Hulak as examples.

All players hope to complete their season in the playoffs long after the regular season ends and getting tired never enters their minds. Don't use that lame excuse again to cover that Weisdumb forgot to do it!

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Now, come on Stecher is up for the second time and likely will stay.

Megna called up 10/24 and still there over 30 days later and has played a whopping 6 games.

Chaput was recalled on 11/7 and he has played 10 games already.

LaBate was recalled on 11/21 and has logged 3 games.

Only one forward sits tonight so at least 2 of these 3 get another game. Maybe all 3 if Skille sits one out.

The Grenier call-up was not the norm and the Comets truly need him in spite of his mind bending forced passes and flubbed shots from shift to shift.

The truth is they really HAVE TO HAVE the other 3 above to have a chance of competing for a play off spot. Also, if they should get in Stecher HAS to be papered for the Comets regardless of how many NHL games he plays. I don't want to hear last season's Hutton tale of how he played a whole season and needs to rest up for next season. Boeser should be signed to an ATO and play as well as any other top prospect who should become available. The Comets lineup below the top 7 or 8 forwards will still be very weak in the goal scoring department and a couple in that top group will have their problems as well and could slide down and push out the bottom weak links like Carcone, Cassels, Kunyk, and Hulak as examples.

All players hope to complete their season in the playoffs long after the regular season ends and getting tired never enters their minds. Don't use that lame excuse again to cover that Weisdumb forgot to do it!

To be fair Megna hasn't been a healthy scratch. He was injured in one of the first couple games he played, went on IR and is now back playing again.

Talking about sending players back to the Comets for the playoffs? You are a lot more optimistic than me lol. Golf season will start early in Utica next April.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
To be fair Megna hasn't been a healthy scratch. He was injured in one of the first couple games he played, went on IR and is now back playing again.

Talking about sending players back to the Comets for the playoffs? You are a lot more optimistic than me lol. Golf season will start early in Utica next April.

Not if Travis can help it.

IN GREEN I TRUST!

LOL Agree it's more than a tall task at the moment, but you will note I did say "IF"! Many people around here picture me as a pessimist with nothing but negatives posts. So I will take this as a major compliment. double LOL

I did know Megna was injured, but how can I post without putting in something so someone is able to insinuate I'm negative?

Numbut

Nov 29, 2016
IMO,

Jake's game is to hit and the number of hits Jake makes has direct correlation to how happy Jake is as a hockey player.

I conclude this because from what I've read and heard, it's been his recipe for success up till now and why he got drafted so highly.

Now, not only is he down in Utica, he's been asked to stop hitting (based on his most recent interviews).

While I'm not absolving Jake of any culpability, I think our idiot management who are supposed to be smarter than Jake hasn't done Jake any favors with how they have managed him.

I also think there is the potential that Linden and Jimbo has irrevocably damaged the relationship between the Canucks and Jake and Jake's player development trajectory will be in limbo until something drastic changes.

Just like how these two idiots have damaged MY relationship with the Canucks right now. Right now, my relationship with the Canucks are well into the negatives. It's pretty sad actually how poorly I see Linden especially. I saw him getting into his white Escalade in Yaletown the other day and I literally felt disgust. So if I'm feeling the way I'm feeling, and Jake actually has to work for these clowns, I think I can empathize a little bit with how Jake potentially feels.

This isn't a new phenomenom :(

https://streamable.com/b50a

Wow just wow, STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR HIM AND BLAMING MANAGEMENT!!!

How about these guys, they seem to have figured out what management is saying;

Tryamkin - Worked his ass off in gym while benched, didnt seem to have trouble with limited English in figuring out what willy was saying!

Stetcher - Understood from the get go, WORK MY ASS OFF AND SWEAT!

Horvat - Again work my ass off every shift

Hutton - Again work my ass off every shift

Biega - OMG I am in the NHL - because I worked my ass off when called up

The list goes on, Guance, Menga, Shille, Chaput and Labate.

How about this one;

Kassian - I cant understand what management wants??? Guess we know now he was partying to much and needed a couple other teams to tell him as well.

Really guys stop with the excuses, Virts only has himself to blame.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

Tryamkin - Worked his ass off in gym while benched, didnt seem to have trouble with limited English in figuring out what willy was saying!

How about this one;

Kassian - I cant understand what management wants??? Guess we know now he was partying to much and needed a couple other teams to tell him as well.

Don't you go calling a spade a spade around here.;)

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

How about this one;

Note that Kassian and Virtanen are both "powerforward" archtype characters. They might not know how to develop them.. the only one they ever did was Bert, and I don't think any of the current staff can be credited with one... also... what was Bert's biggest negative?

But you're not wrong. What do Kassian and Virtanen have in common? Their meatheads that just don't get it... that were probably also rushed prospects. Right now, Virtanen is heading towards Kassian 2.0, with stylistic differences obviously.

....so whoever it was who said we can trade him for Prust... well... don't be shocked if we add a 5th.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica back on the ice tonight vs the Rochester Americans at the Utica Aud, game time 7 pm eastern.

Rosheseter will have their top 2 scorers back from Buffalo, #1 Cal O'Reilly and #2 Cole Schneider. They have been in Buffalo for a bit and missed the last 2 Comets games. They are still the 7th and 8th best point getters in the AHL. The Amerks sport a record of 7-11-0-1 for 15 points and sit in 6th behind the 5th place Comets with the same point total at 7-10-1-0.

Grenier has been returned, but Biega was recalled.

The Comets are relatively healthy with Sautner and Negrin now game ready.
Zalewski, Bachman, and McPherson are still out injured. That basically means the Comets are without a top forward in Zalewski.

They are, however, still missing Chaput, Megna, and LaBate playing with Vancouver. LaBate was a scratch last night. Barring future injuries to forwards, the Comets will get a forward returned for every Vancouver forward who comes off the injury list. That will still be a while because the injuries are major - broken rib (Hansen), knee rehabbing (Rodin), shoulder (Dorsett). So what the Comets have right now is what they will have for some time until Z is healthy and/or someone like Pelletier falls in their laps again.

Demko is slated to go once again. He's won his last 4 starts.

Pelletier will make his first appearance on home ice since returning to the Comets after a 2-year European hiatus. He was a fan favorite with the Comets in their first season.

Travis will have a plethora of D-men to select from since all are healthy. 3 of the 9 will have to sit. This should create a bit of competition for ice time. A couple of guys who got ice time recently and played well, Nilsson and McEneny will make this situation tougher for Travis going forward and that's a good thing. Each played one of the past weekend games with a full roster available and that included Biega on Sunday.

I look to see Valk's line remain as is:

Archi/Valk/Virtanen

I think we see Grenier move onto Pelletier's line:

Kunyk-Roy/Pelletier/Grenier

I'd move Bancks back with Hamilton. That line was very good in their game vs Syracuse last Friday:

Bancks/Hamilton/Rendulic

That leaves one line to be constructed from all of the rest the rest. I see Cassels getting the last line:

Hulak/Cassels/Carcone - This line has been together the last couple games.

That would leave Roy or Kunyk to skate the LW with Pellets and Grenny. Kunyk was there in Grenier's absence. I'm not sure which winger Green trusts the most. Kunyk has put up 2 goals and 4 points in 8 GP to Roy's 3 assists in 9 GP.

Billins/Shields
Robak/Subban
Pedan/Nilsson

A lot of guessing on the D. He could play any of the 9. The 3 not on my guess list are all LHD. I've selected the 3 who SHOULD be the best of the 6 LHD. Green can put any two of them together as he often has.

3 hours will determine how close I am with the lineup.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Well they have Virtanen skating with Hamilton and Bancks on the energy line. Virtanen threw a couple hit. But inadvertently took a high sticking penalty. Pretty uninspired first period. Comets 6-3 on shots. Rendulic has replaced Virtanen on that top line

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Well they have Virtanen skating with Hamilton and Bancks on the energy line. Virtanen threw a couple hit. But inadvertently took a high sticking penalty. Pretty uninspired first period. Comets 6-3 on shots. Rendulic has replaced Virtanen on that top line

If this doesn't send a message than idk what will

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Complete borefest here at the aud. 2-0 Amerks... shots are even.. building is about 70 degrees.... two bottom feeder teams that look like exactly that.....

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Utica back on the ice tonight vs the Rochester Americans at the Utica Aud, game time 7 pm eastern.

Rosheseter will have their top 2 scorers back from Buffalo, #1 Cal O'Reilly and #2 Cole Schneider. They have been in Buffalo for a bit and missed the last 2 Comets games. They are still the 7th and 8th best point getters in the AHL. The Amerks sport a record of 7-11-0-1 for 15 points and sit in 6th behind the 5th place Comets with the same point total at 7-10-1-0.

Grenier has been returned, but Biega was recalled.

The Comets are relatively healthy with Sautner and Negrin now game ready.
Zalewski, Bachman, and McPherson are still out injured. That basically means the Comets are without a top forward in Zalewski.

They are, however, still missing Chaput, Megna, and LaBate playing with Vancouver. LaBate was a scratch last night. Barring future injuries to forwards, the Comets will get a forward returned for every Vancouver forward who comes off the injury list. That will still be a while because the injuries are major - broken rib (Hansen), knee rehabbing (Rodin), shoulder (Dorsett). So what the Comets have right now is what they will have for some time until Z is healthy and/or someone like Pelletier falls in their laps again.

Demko is slated to go once again. He's won his last 4 starts.

Pelletier will make his first appearance on home ice since returning to the Comets after a 2-year European hiatus. He was a fan favorite with the Comets in their first season.

Travis will have a plethora of D-men to select from since all are healthy. 3 of the 9 will have to sit. This should create a bit of competition for ice time. A couple of guys who got ice time recently and played well, Nilsson and McEneny will make this situation tougher for Travis going forward and that's a good thing. Each played one of the past weekend games with a full roster available and that included Biega on Sunday.

I look to see Valk's line remain as is:

Archi/Valk/Virtanen

I think we see Grenier move onto Pelletier's line:

Kunyk-Roy/Pelletier/Grenier

I'd move Bancks back with Hamilton. That line was very good in their game vs Syracuse last Friday:

Bancks/Hamilton/Rendulic

That leaves one line to be constructed from all of the rest the rest. I see Cassels getting the last line:

Hulak/Cassels/Carcone - This line has been together the last couple games.

That would leave Roy or Kunyk to skate the LW with Pellets and Grenny. Kunyk was there in Grenier's absence. I'm not sure which winger Green trusts the most. Kunyk has put up 2 goals and 4 points in 8 GP to Roy's 3 assists in 9 GP.

Billins/Shields
Robak/Subban
Pedan/Nilsson

A lot of guessing on the D. He could play any of the 9. The 3 not on my guess list are all LHD. I've selected the 3 who SHOULD be the best of the 6 LHD. Green can put any two of them together as he often has.

3 hours will determine how close I am with the lineup.

Billins and Nilsson not dressed.... not helping matters....

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets loose 2-1. Evan mceneny with his first AHL goal, Valk and Virtanen with the assists. Team was horrible the first two periods. That plus Two mistakes cost them the game. Grenier tries to stick handle through 3 Amerks inside his own blueline and it ends up in the net. Then late in the 2nd Robak cuts off O'Reilly as he cuts to the net , then stands and watched instead of knocking him off the puck. Comets did show up for the third, but deserved to loose this mess...... Virtanen starting to get more involved.......

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Comets loose 2-1. Evan mceneny with his first AHL goal, Valk and Virtanen with the assists. Team was horrible the first two periods. That plus Two mistakes cost them the game. Grenier tries to stick handle through 3 Amerks inside his own blueline and it ends up in the net. Then late in the 2nd Robak cuts off O'Reilly as he cuts to the net , then stands and watched instead of knocking him off the puck. Comets did show up for the third, but deserved to loose this mess...... Virtanen starting to get more involved.......

Thanks. Baby steps ... Kid needs lots of ahl time

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Good to hear he's more involved, but looks like they gave the other assist to Archibald.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Good to hear he's more involved, but looks like they gave the other assist to Archibald.

I thought that would get changed when they announced the assists to Valk and Virtanen instead of Valk and Archibald. Jake made a good play by driving hard to the net but by the time the Comets finally scored Valk and Archie had both played the puck and got it out to McEneny.

Jake was more engaged tonight and didn't seem to be short shifting himself like he had been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad