The Utica Comets Thread | Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
3rd holding call of the period for the Comets. This time it's Subban going off.

Luckily the Comets kill that one and the period ends still tied 1-1.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
3rd holding call of the period for the Comets. This time it's Subban going off.

Luckily the Comets kill that one and the period ends still tied 1-1.

2 were for holding. Bancks was called for slashing.

1-1 after 1st
SOG 13-12 Hartford

Hartford is #11 GF in the AHL vs Comets who are #24 in GF
Hartford is #30 GA in the AHL vs Comets who are #16 in GA.

Too many lazy penalties. Surrendering 3 PPs in a period while getting none yourselves is a formula for failure.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
2 were for holding. Bancks was called for slashing.

1-1 after 1st
SOG 13-12 Hartford

Bridgeport is #11 GF in the AHL vs Comets who are #24 in GF
Bridgeport is #30 GA in the AHL vs Comets who are #16 in GA.

Thanks for the correction. Zilch said holding the second time but I thought he indeed said slashing the first time.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Forwards:
Archibald/Valk/Grenier
Kunyk/Pelletier/Virtanen
Bancks/Hamilton/Zalewski
Carcone/Cassels/Rendulic

D-pairs:
Billins/Shields
Pedan/McEneny
Robak/Subban

Goal - Bachman

2nd underway

Comets to the PP
0:55 of the period
Comets with the 21st best PP

:15 left on the PP and the Wolf Pack
2 great saves by Halverson.

SCORE!!!!!!!!!! Archi on the PP.
2-1 Comets
Archibald(13) from Bancks(8) and Valk(18)

Good stop on Carcone in front.

Pedan still a victim of his own bad passing when he's not pressed.

Valk's line pressing. Get a line change, but Cassels line can't keep it up.

Half the period now gone.

Jensen. Go figure. 2-2. #20 on the year for Nick. We couldn't have used those goals here. Again, his trade opposite was waived, picked up, waived again, unclaimed, sent to the AHL, injured his knee after 1GP, had surgery, and is out for an unknown period of time. Real great value for the Canucks.

Archi stopped in close.

Now it's 4 on 4 and the Comets suck at it.

Yup, that's right. Now another goal for Hartford.
3-2 Tigers.

2 on 1 for the Comets, but no dice. Second time Carcone has had a great chance and comes up empty.

Comets are playing well when in possession, but are playing very weak when not in possession. Proof of this is that only Pelletier has been on the ice for more than one of the 3 GA. Their weak puck skills and lack of scoring talent is killing them.

Carcone's game is normal for him. All over the ice. Getting knocked down a lot. Making a lot of checks, but not getting much out of it. Scoring chances, but no finish.

Comets SCORE!! They celebrate. No goal signal from the ref. Now to review. This is big.Only one ref and the only call he can make is if it passed the goal line. Shouldn't be hard to determine if the camera has it. They only have an overhead view. As I figured NO GOAL. Can't tell because the goalie is laying in the net so you can't see the puck. No conclusive evidence. So, Comets DON'T SCORE.

Now, Bancks is gone again. This time for high sticking. Comets PK doing the same thing as always. Break things up, block shots, goalie makes saves, and the Comets CANNOT clear the puck.

Period ends and it's 3-2 Hartford.

SOG 13-5 Comets, but goals scored are 2-1 Hartford. I rest my case in my assessment above.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Jensen scores his 20th of the season, in his 40th game, to tie it right back up.

Now Fontaine scores to put the Pack up 3-2. Yikes.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Grenier scores to tie it! He punched in a rebound of a Jordan Subban shot.

Looks like the ref didn't make a signal, though. They're reviewing it...

No goal. Inconclusive.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jensen scores his 20th of the season, in his 40th game, to tie it right back up.

Now Fontaine scores to put the Pack up 3-2. Yikes.

Wow!...Jensen with his 20th....sure is a lucky thing Etem is making such a vital contribution for us and that we still owe the Rangers a 6th rounder:sarcasm:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Wow!...Jensen with his 20th....sure is a lucky thing Etem is making such a vital contribution for us and that we still owe the Rangers a 6th rounder:sarcasm:

Jensen definitely looks like he's slowly coming along but that's one trade I don't mind, even if we're now left empty handed...again. Jensen just wasn't progressing with us. Who knows if he turns into a Ranger or if he remains a minor league mainstay for them. Seems like he's found a place as the go to guy for the Wolf Pack.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jensen definitely looks like he's slowly coming along but that's one trade I don't mind, even if we're now left empty handed...again. Jensen just wasn't progressing with us. Who knows if he turns into a Ranger or if he remains a minor league mainstay for them. Seems like he's found a place as the go to guy for the Wolf Pack.

OK fine....I get the fact that even though the Comets could desperately use a 20 goal scorer right about now, Jensen probably needed a change of scenery....but why does Jimbo always have to flush away draft picks with these 'nothing' deals?...also means you're 'empty-handed' in the future as well.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
OK fine....I get the fact that even though the Comets could desperately use a 20 goal scorer right about now, Jensen probably needed a change of scenery....but why does Jimbo always have to flush away draft picks with these 'nothing' deals?...also means you're 'empty-handed' in the future as well.

Not sure Jensen would have 20 with the Comets. He needed a fresh start with a new coach and a different system. He wasn't progressing under Green who was trying to turn him into a grinder.

Rendulic just scored his 4th tonight after getting 16 last year. Green's system is great for grinders but doesn't seem to get the most out of offensive minded players.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Regardless if Jensen would ever have been a Canuck his trade with a draft pick was a useless trade for the Canucks and also cost them a draft pick which the Canucks obviously don't need. The Rangers have used Jensen this season and he is contributing big time for their farm.

He was a prospect no matter what you thought his chances were. One thing for sure, his play on the RW here would have been a huge upgrade over Rendulic and who knows what could have evolved from there. I know it would have ended up better than useless Etem.

The farm does still matter even though many fans not concerned at what happens here don't accept that fact. It's not from a fan basis I make this statement. It's important to the growth and development of prospects no matter how many or few are present. Gutting the farm will not pay dividends in the future. Sooner or later it will catch up with them.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not sure Jensen would have 20 with the Comets. He needed a fresh start with a new coach and a different system. He wasn't progressing under Green who was trying to turn him into a grinder.

Rendulic just scored his 4th tonight after getting 16 last year. Green's system is great for grinders but doesn't seem to get the most out of offensive minded players.

Yep, that theory loses a lot of weight, when applied to describe Shinkaruk and Baertschi. I have watched Rendulic all season and he cannot handle the puck in traffic. Perhaps he has scored in the past with better line mates. Green's success or lack thereof with goal scorers might have a lot to do with the fact that the majority of players assigned here have been very weak in offensive skills and the skill types have been lacking in the play making type line mates.

In the first season Pelletier(22G/62Pts) and Ferriero(19G/39Pts) put up decent numbers with a real offensive starved group, but Grenier, DeFazio, Stuart all got 17 and Jensen got 15. O'Reilly amassed 45 Pts in 52 GP

In year 2 DeFazio got 21, Grenier and Jeffrey got 17, and Shink got 16 in spite of playing terribly. Baertschi got 15 points in 15 GP, Conacher got 16 in 20 GP and O'Reilly put up 61 points. That's all regular season.

Last year on a terrible team with 0 play making centers. Shink had 21 goals and 39 points in 45 GP, Grenier 48 pts, Gaunce had 38 points in 46 games including 17 goals.

What I'm saying is that the actual offensive guys have put up decent numbers under terrible circumstances for guys who are supposed to score. The majority of players that have been assigned here in 4 seasons were plumbers, blacksmiths, masons, and other various blue collared workers with very few high level offensive skills. That makes it very difficult for young offensive guys especially to have success. Put more skilled players into Green's mixing bowl and you'd see more production. They play the "Green style" because he has to create a way for low skilled teams to find some success. Give him some blue chip kids and some top level AHL vet forwards and you would see more goals. The majority of the Comets have not been goal scorers in the first place.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Regardless if Jensen would ever have been a Canuck his trade with a draft pick was a useless trade for the Canucks and also cost them a draft pick which the Canucks obviously don't need. The Rangers have used Jensen this season and he is contributing big time for their farm.

He was a prospect no matter what you thought his chances were. One thing for sure, his play on the RW here would have been a huge upgrade over Rendulic and who knows what could have evolved from there. I know it would have ended up better than useless Etem.

The farm does still matter even though many fans not concerned at what happens here don't accept that fact. It's not from a fan basis I make this statement. It's important to the growth and development of prospects no matter how many or few are present. Gutting the farm will not pay dividends in the future. Sooner or later it will catch up with them.

I agree its a bad trade for the team but its probably a good trade for Jensen. He has been a lot more productive with Hartford than he was with Utica. Of course you can say the same thing for about 2/3 of Bennings move (being bad/horrible asset management, etc).

Last year, he had 12 points in 27 games with Utica and 25 points in 41 games for Hartford.

As far as NHL contribution, i guess Etem has 12 points vs Jensen's 0 since the trade... not that its much of anything considering last year should've been a rebuilding year so those 12 points are meaningless (and in terms of asset management, we lost a prospect and a 6th rounder for nothing).

In the end, its a bad move but compared to some of Benning's other moves, this one isn't all that bad (and we have nothing to show for it... :laugh: ). Heck if you're mad about that move... considering the Forsling move since he would likely be a top pairing D on Utica right now (that or Stecher being in Utica).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sorry I haven't been maintaining a running commentary for the 3rd, but this game had every feel for the way the Comets play when they are not really into it. The 3rd has played out this way exactly. The poor skill sets are not conducive to comeback hockey. This was the worst team in the league and scoring 2 goals, excuse me now 3 goals with the net empty, but with 6 skaters. The Comets don't win faceoffs and there are 12 seconds left. Lose the draw and that's it.

Comets lose it 4-3.

SOG 36-24 Comets, but the kind of shots many of those are make it a lot less impressive than the numbers might indicate. the shots were actually 9-9 in the period when they needed to score 2 goals.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
1st period was shaky with lots of scoring chances for Hartford with an edge
2nd period was all Rendulic for some reason. Utica shouldve came with like 2 more goals here
3rd was back in Hartford favor with an edge
thought Bachman shouldve had a few goals back though the play was perfect (Jensen's individual snipe and a rebound goal)
didnt see a whole a lot of Virtanen in the 3rd. did he get shaken up?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game a testimony to the ignorance of our organization

Virtanen does nothing of any kind of sustained nature. His effort level and IQ are dismal. Every shot he does get is a muffin into the goalies crest. His motto seems to be that if at first you don't succeed, just quit. Looks confused, unfocused and remains a target for the other team. Lamely accepts any trash meted out to him acting the part of a lost puppy.

How does a player like this get drafted 6th overall? Go ask Dim Jim and the rest of our scouts.

Jensen plays like a stud. Best player by far in this game. Would clearly be on the Canucks at this point. Of course, traded for the dreadful and clueless Etem. And naturally we had to throw in a draft choice to get this deal done.

How does a deal like this get made? Well when you have professional management like NYR does, it isn't difficult take old Jim and bend him over badly.

You can forget about tanking, forget the wild dream some prospects are going to save us, and forget about any meaningful moves at the deadline. This franchise is going nowhere with dunces like Benning and his cohorts in charge.

Edmonton staggered around for years making horrible deals, horrible drafts with bonehead management and we will do the same. Fans should demand a thorough house cleaning.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Game a testimony to the ignorance of our organization

Virtanen does nothing of any kind of sustained nature. His effort level and IQ are dismal. Every shot he does get is a muffin into the goalies crest. His motto seems to be that if at first you don't succeed, just quit. Looks confused, unfocused and remains a target for the other team. Lamely accepts any trash meted out to him acting the part of a lost puppy.

How does a player like this get drafted 6th overall? Go ask Dim Jim and the rest of our scouts.

Jensen plays like a stud. Best player by far in this game. Would clearly be on the Canucks at this point. Of course, traded for the dreadful and clueless Etem. And naturally we had to throw in a draft choice to get this deal done.

How does a deal like this get made? Well when you have professional management like NYR does, it isn't difficult take old Jim and bend him over badly.

You can forget about tanking, forget the wild dream some prospects are going to save us, and forget about any meaningful moves at the deadline. This franchise is going nowhere with dunces like Benning and his cohorts in charge.

Edmonton staggered around for years making horrible deals, horrible drafts with bonehead management and we will do the same. Fans should demand a thorough house cleaning.

Thank you for the Jensen assessment. I have been stating the ignorance of this trade and have met only with, "Nah", "poo poo", "waaah", "a meaningless harmless trade" "No harm done in a good try by Benning to get something for a guy going nowhere." Jensen was coming into his own when traded and he's been proving it. He didn't need a "change of scenery" just a little more patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad