The Two Stromes

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Where is that quote?

"He's been one of our bright spots. He's good on the face-offs. I think this is the best he's played defensively. I think what he learned last year really went a long way for him ... We need him to continue to grow and to score goals and help us drive the offense. He's shown some nice strides. We're pretty happy with him." -GMJC

Could be a backhanded compliment. Like saying my guitar playing is the best it's ever been.

'Yotes Notes: Chayka Addresses Goal-Scoring Slump

cobra427

May 6, 2012
"He's been one of our bright spots. He's good on the face-offs. I think this is the best he's played defensively. I think what he learned last year really went a long way for him ... We need him to continue to grow and to score goals and help us drive the offense. He's shown some nice strides. We're pretty happy with him." -GMJC

Could be a backhanded compliment. Like saying my guitar playing is the best it's ever been.

'Yotes Notes: Chayka Addresses Goal-Scoring Slump
FO% and better D will keep him in the line up, glad they are happy with him. Strome will get his points, he is too good with the puck in the O zone not to score.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and MIG

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
There's only one Strome now. He's a disappointment. I know he gets limited minutes but he is making boneheaded plays with the puck, gets stripped of the puck way to easily, and he just won't make a hit. He reminds me of a cornerback who doesn't like to tackle. Rather than hit a player against the boards and challenge for the puck, Strome slows down in his last stride, turns his body away from the play and gently bumps into the boards right next to the guy with the puck.

Strome has a real lack of compete and plays not to get hurt. Unless this guy's nursing a separated shoulder he needs to go. I would dump him faster than Domingue.

Sad. Really sad. I was really hoping for the kid to work out, even though my eyes told me from the start of the season that there was a problem.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
There's only one Strome now. He's a disappointment. I know he gets limited minutes but he is making boneheaded plays with the puck, gets stripped of the puck way to easily, and he just won't make a hit. Sad. Really sad. I was really hoping for the kid to work out, even though my eyes told me from the start of the season that there was a problem.
I would like to know how we missed SO BADLY on Mitch Marner or even Mathew Barzal, hell I'll even throw in Pavel Zacha.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I would like to know how we missed SO BADLY on Mitch Marner or even Mathew Barzal, hell I'll even throw in Pavel Zacha.

True, but I bet most teams had Strome top 5.

He reminds me of a cornerback who doesn't like to tackle.

At least those types of cornerbacks are fast and cover a receiver. If Strome was speedy but shied away from contact that would be one thing, but he's slow AND not physical.

What are his pluses? Good on the dot and supposedly good hockey IQ. Not enough in this league.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Why is Dylan Strome currently the #1 search for both 5 minutes ago and 1 hour ago on hockeydb.com? Whenever I see that, I figure the guy did something noteworthy in the previous night's game, or got moved.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Why is Dylan Strome currently the #1 search for both 5 minutes ago and 1 hour ago on hockeydb.com? Whenever I see that, I figure the guy did something noteworthy in the previous night's game, or got moved.
My guess is fans are starting to see what former players are doing on other teams. Look at Domi and now surprisingly Duclair. I was on the MN boards the other day and they were talking about trading for him. I bet Bruce Boudreau would find a way to fit him in nicely with the Wild. He was elite in the OHL and did great in Tucson. The only place he sucks is in Glendale. I thought I'd never say this but we need to move him. He needs to go and become Dylan Strome someplace else.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
My question is at what point does RT's ability to develop young talent come into question? What can we point to and say that he really does a good job at it or knows what he is doing with developing players?

Almost every young player on the team is regressing under the 2nd year of RT. Some way more than others. It's almost as if the longer a young player plays on the Yotes, the worse they get. Some players are doing much much better away from the team (Domi) up to this point. I don't know how much of that is just a slump (early enough in the season for things to change), but it's certainly not encouraging.

With the amount of high end picks that are in the group he's had access to coaching... the success rate should end up being better than it is right now, I would assume.

I still think it would be silly to sell low on Strome, but the way RT is using him, probably not going to have a choice unless something changes.

Heck, no individual on this team right now is flourishing with whatever is happening offensively. Seems unfair to lay blame at one young player's feet that somehow he isn't the one that can when no one else is. Leading goal scorer is Brad Richardson... after 20 games... with a whopping 6. Offense is so spread out and not consistent... (especially considering the Short handed goals).

But hey, let's run another player with talent out of town and then the coach can lament that he doesn't have talented enough players playing for him. That's Coyote's hockey.

I'd like to draft a guy with talent one time, and then have them turn out great and actually be a star here in AZ.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My guess is fans are starting to see what former players are doing on other teams. Look at Domi and now surprisingly Duclair. I was on the MN boards the other day and they were talking about trading for him. I bet Bruce Boudreau would find a way to fit him in nicely with the Wild. He was elite in the OHL and did great in Tucson. The only place he sucks is in Glendale. I thought I'd never say this but we need to move him. He needs to go and become Dylan Strome someplace else.

Strome for JEE would be a fairly even swap at this point.

Chayka has also shown interest in Kunin in the past. His value is probably down right now after his injuries.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Because we needed a C more than we needed a player like a Dougie Hamilton, or some shit like that.

So, let's say that we never drafted Strome and instead traded the #3OA for Hamilton and a 2nd round pick in 2015. Here is how we could have drafted going forward:

2015: 2nd round (#35 from Carolina): Sebastian Aho, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, Daniel Sprong, and Brandon Carlo were all available. What if we take Carlo and we don't really need to take a D the next year

2016: 1st round (#7): Keller, 1st round (#20): German Rubtsov, Henrik Borgstrom, Tage Thompson, Brett Howden were all available. Since we wouldn't have had to move up for D in the deal with Detroit, we would be primarily looking at centers. Each one of these centers (with this year being their first year in the AHL or better) is actually fairly close to Strome's totals in his 1st AHL year to this point:

Howden (18-19): 0.60 ppg in 20 games with NYR in NHL
Thompson (17-18): 0.60 ppg in 30 games with SAR in AHL, 0.22 ppg in 41 games with STL in NHL
Borgstrom (18-19): 1.00 ppg in 14 games with SFT in AHL
Rubtsov (17-18): 0.71 ppg in 14 games with LVP in AHL
Strome (17-18): 1.06 ppg in 50 games with TRR in AHL, 0.43 ppg in 21 games with AZC in NHL

2017: 1st round (#23): PO Joseph could still be the pick with Ryan Poehling, Morgan Frost, Shane Bowers, or Eeli Tolvanen. Since we spent the 2015 draft picking up two defensemen, we would have gotten our 2nd defenseman in Joseph with Chychrun being the first the previous year. So we could go in many different directions.

Our defensive depth looks a little more like this if we do that deal and don't pick up Chychrun. We could also argue that trading for Demers or Hjalmarsson would have been unnecessary at that point, so maybe it would have been a deal for F depth with teams looking to move salary out (in this case, we wouldn't have dealt for Demers and looked to deal McGinn elsewhere for RW depth or late draft picks:

OEL-Hamilton
Goligoski-Hjalmarsson
Connauton-Carlo

Lyubushkin

Has Chychrun been that needed in the lineup, when healthy? I don't see that much of a difference between that group and the one that doesn't have Hamilton/Carlo and replaces with Chychrun/Demers. Even if we didn't have Carlo (thereby replacing him with Demers), we could have picked up any of those three forwards and been in a much better position offensively. Obviously, this also means our offense doesn't have Strome, but honestly, has Strome been so vital as a player that we couldn't survive without him? At least this way, the #3 pick appears to have been put to reasonable use and we would have felt some sort of return on our investment. Cause right now, I have trouble projecting the return at this point. I don't think it can be said for certain that he is a top 10 type of pick, let alone top 3.

Reactions: Yandover

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strome is certianly changing my outlook on drafting. I’m looking for guys who have wheels, play the game with guts and swagger, and then I’m trying to find the guys in that category with the most skill. Someone like Peyton Krebs, as an example, is probably a lot higher on my list than he would have otherwise been if we hadn’t watched Strome struggle to make an impact in the NHL. I want wheels and piss and vinegar to go along with skills.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Strome is certianly changing my outlook on drafting. I’m looking for guys who have wheels, play the game with guts and swagger, and then I’m trying to find the guys in that category with the most skill. Someone like Peyton Krebs, as an example, is probably a lot higher on my list than he would have otherwise been if we hadn’t watched Strome struggle to make an impact in the NHL. I want wheels and piss and vinegar to go along with skills.
Excellent!! I'm extremely tired of hearing about this 'High hockey IQ' crap.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Sounds kind of like Max Domi...

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Sounds kind of like Max Domi...
Max is definitely that type of player but he wouldn't have 25 points on this club so what are we doing wrong? Domi is scoring at the level of Connor McDavid. Mitch Marner has 28 points and tied with McDavid. Dylan Strome has five points. It would be nice to figure this out before Hayton gets up here and gets stuck on RT's 4th line.
Luke Kunin is piss and vinegar and was a PPG player in Wisconsin and the AHL and if Strome isn't given a chance trade him to the Wild for Kunin. The Wild would make that trade.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Max is definitely that type of player but he wouldn't have 25 points on this club so what are we doing wrong? Domi is scoring at the level of Connor McDavid. Mitch Marner has 28 points and tied with McDavid. Dylan Strome has five points. It would be nice to figure this out before Hayton gets up here and gets stuck on RT's 4th line.
Luke Kunin is piss and vinegar and was a PPG player in Wisconsin and the AHL and if Strome isn't given a chance trade him to the Wild for Kunin. The Wild would make that trade.
Kunin has been .58ppg at the AHL level.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Excellent!! I'm extremely tired of hearing about this 'High hockey IQ' crap.

Careful what you wish for. People are constantly complaining about say Perlini's hockey IQ and to a lesser extent Fischer's.

I think the problem is not so much what we're focusing on, but that we seem to ONLY focus on it. We need a mix of different types of players in the prospect pool.

Virtually all our drafted D going back like half a decade are the same except Bahl and Chychrun. Softish puck movey guys with high hockey IQ and stick work. Certainly need our share of those. Heck our team is basically full of them now except Bush and Hjalmarsson (and really other then that he's a SAH guy he's not terribly far from that mold either).

Wingers are basically the same. We have a grand total of 1 player in the system who I think could reliably turn into a board working player with the skill to translate it into points. And he's already on the team. Everyone else is a softish off the rush player who is pass first. Even someone like Domi who has that extra personality edge was basically the same way playstyle wise. He'd just go off every once in a while physically.

This was something I was very concerned about, especially at wing, starting with Tocchet's system being implemented. Because it seems this team is only capable of playing one way. And when the other team is dictating the pace, which is going to happen at least sometimes, the Coyotes basically can't deal.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad