The Two Stromes

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that we on this board are gripping the stick too tight, just like the team. Myself included. I just reread my posts on the Nylander thread. Jeesh. As if we had a chance.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Like they say, if you don't shoot you can't score, and you might sneak one in here and there, but you need quality shots. Most were pissed when DT was coaching and we were out shot almost every game, but we held the other teams to the outside. The shots were low quality. Same with us and the Ducks. How many of those 40 shots were quality?
Volume of shots usually correlates to volume of scoring chances. Again, most goals are not pretty any more. They are deflections and rebounds, to get those you need more shots. Ducks won by using Tip strategy of outside shots and great goal tending. It works in the short term but only if your Goal tender is the best player on the ice, which he won't be every night. I'll take 40 to 20 shots any day regardless, we win way more than we lose that way.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Volume of shots usually correlates to volume of scoring chances. Again, most goals are not pretty any more. They are deflections and rebounds, to get those you need more shots. Ducks won by using Tip strategy of outside shots and great goal tending. It works in the short term but only if your Goal tender is the best player on the ice, which he won't be every night. I'll take 40 to 20 shots any day regardless, we win way more than we lose that way.

I'm with you on this. I just wish they'd try to get some more close-in scoring chances. I'm so dang tired of perimeter shooting. Yes, shooting from the point gives the puck more opportunity to do random things that might fool a goalie, but shooting close in restricts the goalie's chances to recover and make a second save.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm with you on this. I just wish they'd try to get some more close-in scoring chances. I'm so dang tired of perimeter shooting. Yes, shooting from the point gives the puck more opportunity to do random things that might fool a goalie, but shooting close in restricts the goalie's chances to recover and make a second save.

The volume of shots at distance seems like a problem, but they also did not bury the close high quality chances they did have. Perlini's couple missed ones in game 1 were in close quarters. OEL had a couple PP opportunities in his favorite shooting lanes he either flubbed or let get taken from him.

There are shot distance charts out there, might be worth a look to see if the reality matches the eye test.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don’t like just looking at his shot totals from the Dallas game and concluding that he’s producing so much more than others.
I don't think anyone does but at the same time Cousins should not be leading the team in shots, especially the first game of the season when in theory everyone should be ready to roll and hyped to play. Being picky with your shot selection is great and all but not when the end result is 0 or 1 shot on goal, especially if you're supposed to be a top 6 forward. I don't think it was coincidence that Stepan and Panik has 9 and 7 SOG's the next game and the team in general outshot Anaheim by a wide margin. Quality is certainly better than quantity but I'm willing to bet stats show the team with the most SOG's typically comes out on top more often than not. I don't know, maybe I'm still a little scarred from the Boedker years but I'm so f***ing sick of watching Coyotes who won't shoot the puck with regularity.

Lyndon Slewidge

Aug 1, 2011
My question to you guys is, why is everyone down on this guy? 2 games in after he was more than a ppg in the A last year?

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
My question to you guys is, why is everyone down on this guy? 2 games in after he was more than a ppg in the A last year... Disappointed that he wasn't ready to go when he was 18 or? It's okay to cook your prospects!
We're nervous...we're really f***ing nervous. I don't think you understand just how bad Coyote luck is, things go exceptionally wrong around here.

btw...here's a fun stat...the top 11 players in the 2015 NHL entry draft have all become good NHL'ers except for 2...Dylan Strome and Lawson Crouse...both Coyotes.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My question to you guys is, why is everyone down on this guy? 2 games in after he was more than a ppg in the A last year?

The biggest reason is that he was drafted 3rd overall in his draft class, and everyone else in the top 10 are already star players or will be soon. It's an existential angst, compounded by many many years of bad luck, worse karma, and franchise difficulty - we largely feel we aren't allowed to have nice things, so the fact that Strome has eventually figured it out at every level doesn't resonate well with a group of fans who feel like we're owed a little bit of good fortune for once.

I mean, Shane Doan took a few years to come around too, but that was a long time ago... :D

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly. That's called quality shots my friend. IF we had 40 SOG and most were quality, we would have beaten the Ducks. Don't get me wrong, Gibson is a great goalie, but we made him look good. The Ducks also had like 20 blocked shots. The Ducks knew how to beat us and played a good road game. I don't expect us to get near 40 shots a game that's for sure. I think we'll be fine. Just need that first win to relieve the pressure.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think anyone does but at the same time Cousins should not be leading the team in shots, especially the first game of the season when in theory everyone should be ready to roll and hyped to play. Being picky with your shot selection is great and all but not when the end result is 0 or 1 shot on goal, especially if you're supposed to be a top 6 forward. I don't think it was coincidence that Stepan and Panik has 9 and 7 SOG's the next game and the team in general outshot Anaheim by a wide margin. Quality is certainly better than quantity but I'm willing to bet stats show the team with the most SOG's typically comes out on top more often than not. I don't know, maybe I'm still a little scarred from the Boedker years but I'm so ****ing sick of watching Coyotes who won't shoot the puck with regularity.
I would imagine if the shot total is lopsided the team with the most shots usually win.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think anyone does but at the same time Cousins should not be leading the team in shots, especially the first game of the season when in theory everyone should be ready to roll and hyped to play. Being picky with your shot selection is great and all but not when the end result is 0 or 1 shot on goal, especially if you're supposed to be a top 6 forward. I don't think it was coincidence that Stepan and Panik has 9 and 7 SOG's the next game and the team in general outshot Anaheim by a wide margin. Quality is certainly better than quantity but I'm willing to bet stats show the team with the most SOG's typically comes out on top more often than not. I don't know, maybe I'm still a little scarred from the Boedker years but I'm so ****ing sick of watching Coyotes who won't shoot the puck with regularity.
Stepan and Panik want to rewarded like Cousins and be on the same line as Keller. :laugh:

Lyndon Slewidge

Aug 1, 2011
We're nervous...we're really ****ing nervous. I don't think you understand just how bad Coyote luck is, things go exceptionally wrong around here.

btw...here's a fun stat...the top 11 players in the 2015 NHL entry draft have all become good NHL'ers except for 2...Dylan Strome and Lawson Crouse...both Coyotes.

Well he had a damn good year last year so maybe he's not as far off in that race as you think... Is there a reason management had him in the A last year or are they just patient and wanted him there a year for development regardless of where he was at?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well he had a damn good year last year so maybe he's not as far off in that race as you think... Is there a reason management had him in the A last year or are they just patient and wanted him there a year for development regardless of where he was at?

He was plainly not very good in his first stint last season (made the roster out of camp). Linemate issues and other problems like the team being a complete disaster aside.
His second call up they decided to play him at wing for....reasons. It was very stupid and they should still feel bad about it. Strome was still not good though I don't particularly blame him for that one.
His third call up at the end of the season he was pretty good. I think people have a tendency to overrate how good it was, but it was pretty good. 8 points in 10 games.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
How do you think the others from that draft class would have done last season in the AHL?? I predict they would have obliterated the scoring title. A few had more NHL points last season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He doesn't gel well with the current style of the team and the coaching staff has only recently shown faith in him. Who knows how long that lasts?

I made a post awhile back about what good company his production in the AHL put him in but people want instant results.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The criticixm of Strome is essentially that he has developed slower than his contemporaries from the top of his draft. This leads to the concern that he has a much lower ceiling than those drafted around him.
I've seen nothing to change my opinion that he needs a full year of full time significant minutes to see if he is just slow to mature or a real draft day mistake.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Because he looks like a #3 pick that is a bust now. If the draft were held again today, Strome would be a second round pick and thats what he is worth if he is traded today. Strome has the talent and skills to still be an impact player at the NHL level but every year, every game that goes by, his chances for success diminish. He has been up and down at least 4 times, 2 different coaches, 2 different systems. He kills it in the AHL so there is hope for him to be a 2C maybe at the NHL level.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I would imagine if the shot total is lopsided the team with the most shots usually win.
Not really. A road team comes in and if it gets the lead it goes into a bit of a shell and tries to keep things around the perimeter. Which is exactly how the Ducks won. they have a very good group of D and a lot of two way forwards. they are light years ahead of the Yotes in terms of balance. They understand how to put together a playoff team.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
interesting how some opinions are trickling in that Strome could be a bust. I was a man on an Island for a long time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not really. A road team comes in and if it gets the lead it goes into a bit of a shell and tries to keep things around the perimeter. Which is exactly how the Ducks won. they have a very good group of D and a lot of two way forwards. they are light years ahead of the Yotes in terms of balance. They understand how to put together a playoff team.
I said "usually" wins.

Reactions: azcanuck

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Y'all do realize that more goals are being scored from further out in the league, thus far this season? Or are you not paying attention?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Have you noticed how many guys are battling around the net? Not much on the Yotes front and this is where the problem lies.
Yes, I've noticed and won't argue that we need more net front presence. But anyone who's been watching other games should agree that more goals are being scored from further out, we've ran into better net minding than some other teams for certain. So, seems silly to constantly carry on about shot selection, particularly when you don't score on 100% of the shots you don't take. Can't believe I just used a Gretzky quote - I feel shame.

Reactions: azcanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad