The Two Stromes

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There were always concerns about Strome's skating but it was believed he was so skilled with such a high hockey IQ that it would not hamper him .

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Am I the only one that saw no difference in his play last night than I have before? Asking for myself.

I didn't see a whole lot of difference between the two games, but that is not a bad thing. Last year in the early stages of the season, you kind of knew there was this "deer in headlights" type of look that he had at times. The game has slowed down enough to where he is not a liability out there, which was the case in his first stint last year (but being brutally honest, most players were liabilities through the first 20 games last year). He was active, doesn't have a lot of strength, but he had some good work on the boards and defensively. He's had a few shots from bad angles, so he is doing what needs to be done. Looks like a 3rd liner who is developing, but the jump from last year to this is encouraging.

Reactions: Fyreman

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I didn't see a whole lot of difference between the two games, but that is not a bad thing. Last year in the early stages of the season, you kind of knew there was this "deer in headlights" type of look that he had at times. The game has slowed down enough to where he is not a liability out there, which was the case in his first stint last year (but being brutally honest, most players were liabilities through the first 20 games last year). He was active, doesn't have a lot of strength, but he had some good work on the boards and defensively. He's had a few shots from bad angles, so he is doing what needs to be done. Looks like a 3rd liner who is developing, but the jump from last year to this is encouraging.
I guess it depends who you talk to if he is playing like a 3rd liner or not. If you ask RT, he will agree, but he is also the same person that put Cousins on the first line. Going into a fourth year of a rebuild and Cousins is playing on the first line, Chayka has failed miserably. rt called it cute, I call it stupidity. Keller was struggling at C and you put a player like Cousins on that line. Don't get me wrong, I like Cousins and the way he plays and it's not his fault he was playing on the first line, but come on. Now, getting back to Strome :)He has improved 100% from his play last year, even from his last stint. IF he can do that on a consistent basis he will be fine.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
There were always concerns about Strome's skating but it was believed he was so skilled with such a high hockey IQ that it would not hamper him .
I have to ask- Is this "high hockey IQ" overated?? I like Strome, but wow, the HHIQ can only go so far.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I guess it depends who you talk to if he is playing like a 3rd liner or not. If you ask RT, he will agree, but he is also the same person that put Cousins on the first line. Going into a fourth year of a rebuild and Cousins is playing on the first line, Chayka has failed miserably. rt called it cute, I call it stupidity. Keller was struggling at C and you put a player like Cousins on that line. Don't get me wrong, I like Cousins and the way he plays and it's not his fault he was playing on the first line, but come on. Now, getting back to Strome :)He has improved 100% from his play last year, even from his last stint. IF he can do that on a consistent basis he will be fine.
Jakey, you are reaching big time on Strome. I hope he has played well enough to stay in the NHL but I am not so sure. I could see Strome scratched or sent to the AHL, wouldn't surprise me. He isn't a lock on this team like DVO is when he comes back from injury. And, at least Cousins contributes, completes a check and wins a puck battle here and there. I wish and hope you are right in that Strome has improved 100%. I don't see it and his ice time doesn't reflect it either, again hope your proven right:)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I have to ask- Is this "high hockey IQ" overated?? I like Strome, but wow, the HHIQ can only go so far.

The idea is that you can't teach hockey smarts; you can have a ton of skill but misuse it or fail to learn how to apply it.

Enver Lisin was, for a time, my favorite Coyotes forward because he had wheels for days. The guy was lightning quick and had a gloriously quick release on his wrister. I thought for sure that he was gonna be a star. But it turns out he couldn't figure out the right position to be in to take advantage of his superiority over his opponents. He'd outrace the other team's players but get to the crease area and simply not know where to put the puck. Or he'd end up in totally the wrong spot on the ice after his breathless skate down-zone, find himself isolated, or in a bad position to pass or shoot, or what have you.

So I still put a lot of stock in hockey IQ. I think (hope) Strome will be able to think his way out of not having the top-level speed and agility of his peers. But his time is running out to prove me right.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I've said STrome wouldn't make it here due to two factors:
He is not quick and he is not strong on the puck. Two very bad flaws to have together. Time and space in the NHL are different then junior/minors.
That being said he has played better in the opening two games. He was on the ice the last minute of the last game. One thing for certain he needs to play with good players. He does not create by himself. (like a Domi)
I'm holding out hope I was wrong.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jakey, you are reaching big time on Strome. I hope he has played well enough to stay in the NHL but I am not so sure. I could see Strome scratched or sent to the AHL, wouldn't surprise me. He isn't a lock on this team like DVO is when he comes back from injury. And, at least Cousins contributes, completes a check and wins a puck battle here and there. I wish and hope you are right in that Strome has improved 100%. I don't see it and his ice time doesn't reflect it either, again hope your proven right:)
Cousins has no right to be our first line winger. IF he is going to be on the first line on a consistent bases, this will be the last year I watch the Coyotes. I have often said, you have to stick with your team through thick and thin, but if RT thinks Cousin is good enough to be on our first line there is no hope for this team. Keller was almost invisible last game. Wonder why? As far as Strome goes, he has played as well as any other C and better than some. When DVO comes back, I move Keller back to wing, and when Chucky gets back Richardson can take a seat. The kids are our future, so lets play them.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've said STrome wouldn't make it here due to two factors:
He is not quick and he is not strong on the puck. Two very bad flaws to have together. Time and space in the NHL are different then junior/minors.
That being said he has played better in the opening two games. He was on the ice the last minute of the last game. One thing for certain he needs to play with good players. He does not create by himself. (like a Domi)
I'm holding out hope I was wrong.
Strome is much better on the puck, but he has to be better.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Cousins has no right to be our first line winger. IF he is going to be on the first line on a consistent bases, this will be the last year I watch the Coyotes. I have often said, you have to stick with your team through thick and thin, but if RT thinks Cousin is good enough to be on our first line there is no hope for this team. Keller was almost invisible last game. Wonder why? As far as Strome goes, he has played as well as any other C and better than some. When DVO comes back, I move Keller back to wing, and when Chucky gets back Richardson can take a seat. The kids are our future, so lets play them.

When he had Strome out there with Keller and Fischer at the end of the 2nd I was so hoping he'd stick with that line for a while. Would love to see those guys together. Unfortunately, Tocc doesn't seem to want to put a line together to maximize scoring potential. Seems silly when they'd gone 5 periods in a row without a goal. If ever there was a time to go all out for offense, it sure seemed like the 3rd period of this game was it.

Reactions: rt

cobra427

May 6, 2012
RT doesn't think Cousins is a first line winger either. I am sure he is trying different combinations to see if anything will work. On Strome's performance so far, we just disagree, but I hope you are right. I doubt Richardson sits, he has been solid.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Strome needs to play with skilled players because he plays the puck to the correct space - where his wingers should be going. Playing with low IQ guys is defeating that strength. It is why he does not mesh well with Perlini.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm guessing RT put Cousins on the first line as a political move. Sure he was rewarding Cousins for hustle and compete level but I also think it was supposed to be commentary on the effort level of players who are supposed to be more talented. Sure Cousins doesn't really belong on the top line but Cousins also shouldn't lead the team in SOG but that's exactly what happened in Dallas.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I'm guessing RT put Cousins on the first line as a political move. Sure he was rewarding Cousins for hustle and compete level but I also think it was supposed to be commentary on the effort level of players who are supposed to be more talented. Sure Cousins doesn't really belong on the top line but Cousins also shouldn't lead the team in SOG but that's exactly what happened in Dallas.

I agree Cousins puts in the effort and his playing top line minutes is to show others they need to earn those minutes through effort, but I feel his awareness is so poor along with his stick handling and passing that when he’s pressured his first thought is to just shoot it. His shot selections aren’t great but it’s the best outcome you get out of him if a defender closes on him. The higher talent players aren’t going to just throw it at the net for some minuscule percent chance from the blue line just because pressure is coming so you’re more likely to see a giveaway or errant pass, however, they’ll actually generate something meaningful once in a while.

It’s like Cousins is so averse to a bad outcome that he just takes the easy way out with little payout. I don’t like just looking at his shot totals from the Dallas game and concluding that he’s producing so much more than others.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When he had Strome out there with Keller and Fischer at the end of the 2nd I was so hoping he'd stick with that line for a while. Would love to see those guys together. Unfortunately, Tocc doesn't seem to want to put a line together to maximize scoring potential. Seems silly when they'd gone 5 periods in a row without a goal. If ever there was a time to go all out for offense, it sure seemed like the 3rd period of this game was it.
I agree, but I would have put Keller back with Stepan. That line is proven it can score.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree Cousins puts in the effort and his playing top line minutes is to show others they need to earn those minutes through effort, but I feel his awareness is so poor along with his stick handling and passing that when he’s pressured his first thought is to just shoot it. His shot selections aren’t great but it’s the best outcome you get out of him if a defender closes on him. The higher talent players aren’t going to just throw it at the net for some minuscule percent chance from the blue line just because pressure is coming so you’re more likely to see a giveaway or errant pass, however, they’ll actually generate something meaningful once in a while.

It’s like Cousins is so averse to a bad outcome that he just takes the easy way out with little payout. I don’t like just looking at his shot totals from the Dallas game and concluding that he’s producing so much more than others.
If his name were Keller/Perlini you would like his shot total better. Any shot is a good shot, rebounds and lose pucks is how you score in todays NHL. We need to shoot, a lot, take every shot you can at this point.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
RT doesn't think Cousins is a first line winger either. I am sure he is trying different combinations to see if anything will work. On Strome's performance so far, we just disagree, but I hope you are right. I doubt Richardson sits, he has been solid.
Then why not put Keller with Stepan? We haven't scored and that line is proven. Richardson won't sit, he is what he is, a third liner at best, same as Cousins.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
SOG mean nothing. It's the quality of shots that count. Any player can shoot the puck at the net from the blue line. Putting Cousins on the first line after one game is nothing short of crazy. We could have easily won that first game. If a certain player is not giving the effort, sit them. If RT wanted to reward Cousins, put him or his line on the ice for the opening face off every period. Instead, he put him with his best forward who was invisible most of the game. Wonder why?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Good post. There is no doubt Cousins puts in the effort.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If his name were Keller/Perlini you would like his shot total better. Any shot is a good shot, rebounds and lose pucks is how you score in todays NHL. We need to shoot, a lot, take every shot you can at this point.
Like they say, if you don't shoot you can't score, and you might sneak one in here and there, but you need quality shots. Most were pissed when DT was coaching and we were out shot almost every game, but we held the other teams to the outside. The shots were low quality. Same with us and the Ducks. How many of those 40 shots were quality?

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Like they say, if you don't shoot you can't score, and you might sneak one in here and there, but you need quality shots. Most were pissed when DT was coaching and we were out shot almost every game, but we held the other teams to the outside. The shots were low quality. Same with us and the Ducks. How many of those 40 shots were quality?
I guess I'm in the thinking of more shots equals more scoring chances. Given it a lot of thought, yeah, I absolutely HATED being out shot EVERY single game AND losing. DT had his style- which was boring. Dump and chase, dump and chase. Jakey53, you are right, the shots with DT's coaching were LOW quality, that and out shot = MEH.

I guess I have the ideology of a telemarketer- the more cold calls (shots) you can make, your increased chances of making a sale (goal). Weak analogy? Yes, but it's the best I can do.

One other thing I've observed, NO net presence, NO crashing the net, NO body shielding the goalie, NO ability for a put back- equals NO goals AND NO wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad