The Two Stromes

Discussion in 'Arizona Coyotes' started by RemoAZ, Oct 5, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. RemoAZ

RemoAZ Free Strome

No I'm not talking about his brother. Anybody that watched the first game of the season saw the completely different player he turned into playing with Keller. We've had arguments on the board about this many times. Does the player have to shine with crap line mates to earn better line mates or is it up to the coach to get the right line combinations to get the most out of the player? I think if it's a super star, like the two we missed out on in McDavid and Matthews, they will be good playing with anyone and even elevate the players on their lines. But what about a young player one step below them still looking to establish himself? Is it fair to say the coach needs to put them in a position to succeed to help them develop?

We saw Turris banished to the 4th line then leave and immediately become a #2 because he was given that opportunity. Now we see Strome get on a line with Keller and he looked stronger, faster and just plain more talented right away. Was it because he was excited and energized by the opportunity or does he need better line mates (like Domi last year) to shine? I think it's an interesting subject and hopefully one we will see the other side of with Strome continuing to play with Keller (because we've seen enough of him as a 4th line grinder to know that won't work imo).

Thoughts/opinions?

2. hbk

hbk Registered User Sponsor

Home Page:
    if we don’t like the style of play Strome plays then we shouldn’t have drafted him. He is who he has always been. The sooner we realize that we can’t morph him into a different style the better. I just get the sense we ordered steak and we’re upset because it’s not chicken.

3. azcanuck

azcanuck Registered User

He's right Strome would struggle on the forth line. He does not create his own opportunities. He is the type that will enhance better players if he can continue to elevate his own game. I have always had doubts he could.

4. GiveAFlyingPuck

GiveAFlyingPuck Try going to the net.

Could have been A Tale of Two Stromes

It was the best of hockey, it was the worst of hockey.

5. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

I like Strome and thought he did well yesterday after he got moved up the lineup, but I really didn't like his game when he wasn't generating chances. How is a guy who is 6'3, 215 so weak that it makes him lose so many puck battles? Makes me think he'd be well suited centering a line with guys like Crouse and Fischer.

DoanStopBelievin likes this.
  6. ducky

ducky Registered User

Renewable energy
    I would like to see Keller - Strome - Fischer

Jmmack, Sthlmyote and RemoAZ like this.
  7. SniperHF

SniperHF Premium Administrator

I didn't particularly think Strome played all that much better when his linemates were leveled up, guess this will be my contrarian take of the day.
    He was a positive force on the ice in the first and his line wasn't the one making all the dumb mistakes in the 2nd. One can say he should be more involved up and down the ice and that might true, but the results kinda matter no? His line both before and after the lines were jumbled was keeping pace with Dallas.

I see it as that he ended up *looking* better after was more due to the team around him getting their legs under them than any change in Strome's game before or after.

My biggest takeaway from his night was that he just seemed to turn on after the preseason where frankly he looked disinterested. Not that I thought he was great last night, but above his average.

8. Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree Turning a new leaf

Greatness in game 1 didn't come to any player of either team.

9. cobra427

cobra427 Registered User

Strome and Keller on the same line at this point in their careers would get killed on D as they won't be facing the other teams 4th line. Strome has be decent when he doesn't have the puck in the O zone, he has to do something else or at least not hurt the team. When we don't have the puck or he doesn't have the puck, I don't see him completing a check, digging hard in the corners, back checking hard, causing a turnover, anything? Many will say that isn't his skill set and I agree, but he has to be decent at other things to stay in the NHL.

Will Strome get more points with Keller? yes. Will the team give up more points? Yes. Its a balancing act for Tocc, trying to get some scoring and not get killed on D at the same time. I see the problem but I also see the upside. I hope Strome can come along and Tocc can get the right line combinations so he is effective but not hurting us.

10. SR

SR Registered User

Am I the only one that saw no difference in his play last night than I have before? Asking for myself.

BUX7PHX and Mosby like this.
  11. XX

XX Sticky Icky Icky

He was invisible in the first but noticeably better as the game went on. His line was constantly applying pressure.

This is not a Keller type player that's a threat to score a hat-trick in their first game. Strome will take probably the entire year to piece it all together. As long as there is progress I don't see the harm in carrying him. This is a team that is playing Kempe as a regular right now.

Strome's skillset is really pretty rare and more linemate dependent than most. He really should be the 2C until Chucky comes back. Dvorak would fit better on the 3rd line, and it's important to push Richardson as far down as possible.

CC96, Jagged Ice, Yandover and 2 others like this.
  12. Lilhoody

Lilhoody Registered User

• His FO's were substantially better. I'll take incremental progress.
    • I caught most of the game on the radio, but manged to get to a TV for some of the second and third periods. From the shifts I saw, I noticed him more than I had in previous games. That said, I may have been watching more closely.
    • He isn't 215lbs

13. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

Probably you and Cobra.

I think most of the team started slow but that could have been the Stars coming out hot in their home opener. Overall, this is a pretty good description of Strome. What I noticed was that his skating was much improved and he didn't coast nearly as much and was involved in the play. He went looking for the puck instead of just waiting for it. Now, we will see if he can do that consistently.

Sthlmyote likes this.
  14. johnchayka89

johnchayka89 Don’t Fail the Plan...

Manager
    Home Page:
    It’s hard for me to accept the concept of the need to play with better players to be effective. You could say that about any average hockey player.

It is what it is... but there is nothing there to be excited about. I see long and painful wait for him to be anything like we hope him to be.

We need impact players now .

Yandover likes this.
  15. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

Easier said than done. Who do you suggest? Who are we going to trade?

16. Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree Turning a new leaf

No sir. A pass first center will play best, turn the puck over least when he has finishers who are in a position to receive a pass and turn it into a shot. If Strome is with two energy guys he will have to hold on to the puck too long and end up coughing it up more often.

And yes, we need impact players. I’ve been on that bandwagon for quite some time.

Here’s a thought - play Keller and Strome together in home games where he can be sheltered due to the pair’s defensive deficiencies.

ducky, Sthlmyote and Imaravencawcaw like this.
  17. moosemeister

moosemeister Registered User

Lmao his user name AND avatar hahaha

18. rt

rt DingDongTippIsGone! Sponsor

Wennberg and Torts maybe had enough of each other? Maybe Strome+Stuff for Wennberg? He’s got that center/winger “optionality” we like so much.

Mosby likes this.
  19. johnchayka89

johnchayka89 Don’t Fail the Plan...

Manager
    Home Page:
    The situation is not perfect, but I guess we will have to deal with it for now.
    Just venting the frustration... 3rd OA... ya know...

Thank god for Clayton Keller.

20. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

Probably should've taken the deal when CBJ offered 8OV, Wennberg, and Milano for 3OV.

21. rt

rt DingDongTippIsGone! Sponsor

What?!?!??? Did that really happen!?!?? Gah!!!!!

ducky likes this.
  22. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

Trying to find the tweet. Portzline had it. Now that I think of it, it may have been Rychel, not Milano. But definitely 8+Wennberg. We turned down that deal as well as Hamilton for 3OV.

23. SniperHF

SniperHF Premium Administrator

Strome was highly thought of enough by basically the entire hockey community that not making this trade only looks bad in hindsight. It was the right call at the time on both counts.
    The case at the time to trade 3OA was not very good at all unless it was trade back to 4-5 because you could get one of the other 2.

3OA with how Strome was considered at the time was plainly more valuable than either of those deals, especially to a team on a full nuke it rebuild.

KG likes this.
  24. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

I think CBJ was trading up for Werenski

25. KG

KG Registered User

Yeah, Strome was considered a franchise C that would have gone 1OA in any other draft with two generational talents ahead of him.