The truth about this team

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sure they do...

Nathan Beaulieu: 0 goals, 6 pts in 37 games
Douglas Murray: 64 pts in 518 games
Francis Bouillon: 149 pts in 776 games
You can't be ****ing serious. Go jump in the lake with this crap.
Please tell me how Beaulieu's numbers beat the ever living **** out of the other 2?
Murray and Cube had the worst possession numbers in the league. It was so bad in the Boston series that Murray's possession numbers came out like we were shorthanded. In one of those games we were outshot at a rate of 10 to one with him on the ice.

You'd have to be a complete ****ing idiot to play him over Bealieu but that's what Therrien did.
Now, don't get me wrong, Murray and Bouillon were bad (especially Murray) but Beaulieu was not a better option than these guys defensively.
You have no clue what you're talking about.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=0&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Out of 276 blueliners Douglas Murray came in 264th and Cube comes in 246th. Both were absolutely dreadful. And of the 12 guys coming in below Murray seven of them played 25 games or less. Neither of these guys produced any offense either making them arguably the worst guys in the league.

As for Beaulieu he's 216th. Now that sounds bad until you consider that much of the time he was saddled with Murray and Cube as his partner. Let's see how these numbers break out in with our without you.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1758&withagainst=true&season=2013-14&sit=5v5

When Murray is paired with Beaulieu his Corsi for % jumps three points to 43.7. Without him that number falls to 40.8. Beaulieu on the other hand jumps to 47.5 without Murray.

Cube absolutely killed Beaulieu's numbers. Split them up though and Beaulieu comes out at 50.6 which is pretty damn good rookie or not when you consider this was a bad possession team. Cube comes out to 44.3 without Nate.

Beaulieu lugged these guys around like a weighted anvil. Murray (who he was paired with most of the time) was carried on Beaulieu's back when they were together.

BTW, they barely got to play together but when they did Nate and Subban were fantastic. Nate puts up a 60 rating when he was with PK.

So yes, there were options. The option was to play a guy who actually put up decent numbers when not paired with two of the worst blueliners in the league instead of playing - two of the worst blueliners in the league!

Instead of doing this, MT played these guys and when he did get around to playing Beaulieu he stuck them with these lugs and made him carry them. And again, you shouldn't need these stats to see that Beaulieu was a hell of a lot better than they were and a much, much better option. When he wasn't saddled with Cube the guy actually had a positive Corsi so how the hell was he not an option? And how the hell is it that we're playing Allen now?

It goes back to what I said, these are just obvious bad mistakes. Anyone should be able to see this stuff. How our coach doesn't is beyond me. One thing if we were playing Tinordi over Beaulieu - reasonable people could disagree on this. But Cube, Murray or Allen? You've got to be smoking the funny stuff.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Beaulieu is young and fresh.

It's more about his offensive potential than his offense.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't know. Don't know enough about Babcock's ways to pass judgment on him.
But I have a feeling you're just waiting to go on a rant more than anything.
I have a feeling you read my post before you commented on it :sarcasm:. My post wasn't about attacking you as a poster, at least I didn't mean it that way. You're one of the best kriss, I just disagree with you here.
I guess I was right about the rant part. :laugh:
Just to be clear. You agree that Therrien isn't great. So now it's more about me and how I'm telling others that he's really not great that you have an issue with. Cool story but I won't waste much time on it.
No, it's not about you, it's about everyone always feeling when a teams not playing well the default is the coach. Did Therrien change his system last night? Or is this what he's be hoping for all along?
How would you know if a great coach would improve things or not? What do you base yourself on, I mean, actual things like player development, usage, deployment, strategies, etc, to base your opinion on?? To be clear saying ''coaches gets fired, ups and downs'' isn't an argument.
To add to that, we've also seen coaches get fired and their teams improve with another coach.
I don't really believe there are great coaches, there are different coaches, all with their strong points and weaknesses. Some of the usage has been questionable, from callups to roster decisions. This happens on every team in the league though.

Yes, which is a flawed way of operating. That's why you're here telling people coaching doesn't matter because no matter what, they'll get canned.
But that's not an analysis on how good a coach is.
My argument isn't that coaches suck because they get fired eventually or that it doesn't matter because they get fired eventually, but this is just a bit of proof of how silly the arguments are. Paul MaClean Jack Adams winner 2 years ago, unemployment line now. Did he forget how to coach?

Players win games. Definitely. And coaches coach those players. Evaluation how the people employed to coach those guys isn't limited to how often other coaches have gotten fired.

Most players have long developed before the coach gets a hold of them. I don't think Therrien ices the best team on any given night, but sometimes there can be a reason for that, ie Sekac, over Bourque/Moen, I think the staff new all along they were moving those 2 out or that they were at least on a short leash, so they wanted to give one more opportunity to a couple guys who showed signs as a Hab. Pretty normal, even if it's painful for the fans.
Ya they can say whatever they want it doesn't mean it's translating to the ice.
It doesn't have to be that Therrien is telling them to dump the puck behind the Dman and be ''first on puck''. If his breakout strategies don't work, the players are going to dump it. Just like if you're being pressured in your zone, you're told since your peewee days to throw it off the boards, never the middle, right?
And if your team has issues executing for over a year, then you need some blame.
Unless you think the team just isn't good. But then we have the 12-13 season to go by and we know we can play a much better possession game. I mean, if that wasn't evident enough for you just by looking at the roster.
His breakout strategies look fine some games, poor in others, as witnessed last night, this is more than likely a performance/execution problem then a reqorking the strategy every other night.
There's no way to know really. Maybe they are. Maybe not. I really doubt Bergevin signed Sekac only to see him scratched 6 games into the season despite looking pretty good out there, so we could put Moen or Bourque in.
Management and Coaching are not always on point. It's not because it's not made public that life is peachy and they're in lock step as you say.
It also doesn't mean that they're not. No way to know.
But Therrien has favored vets over youngsters. That's not new. Bergevin said in the off season that he didn't mind leaving spots for the kids and went as far as to suggest he'd even be fine taking a step back because of it (assuming they'd take two forward later).
No there isn't, so why do we praise everything MB and bash everything MT, the truth is MB has the power to dictate who is on the roster and who isn't. I never said they agree on everything, I'm sure MB cringes every once and awhile on a decision made by MT, but he wouldn't have extended him for 4 years if they were completely out of step. A coach favoring vets? Wow, which coach doesn't?

So I think Bergevin wants to bring options to his coach. Then gives him the rope he needs. I doubt they agree on everything.
Sure, and I think they were work a little closer with each other then many let on. Not always agreeing, but important things like which roster to use is done together imo, maybe not every callup MB consults MT, but I'm sure they discuss these things.

This isn't about you, in general, fans always blame the coach, the media as well. It's foolish imo.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I have a feeling you read my post before you commented on it :sarcasm:. My post wasn't about attacking you as a poster, at least I didn't mean it that way. You're one of the best kriss, I just disagree with you here.

No, it's not about you, it's about everyone always feeling when a teams not playing well the default is the coach. Did Therrien change his system last night? Or is this what he's be hoping for all along?

I don't really believe there are great coaches, there are different coaches, all with their strong points and weaknesses. Some of the usage has been questionable, from callups to roster decisions. This happens on every team in the league though.

My argument isn't that coaches suck because they get fired eventually or that it doesn't matter because they get fired eventually, but this is just a bit of proof of how silly the arguments are. Paul MaClean Jack Adams winner 2 years ago, unemployment line now. Did he forget how to coach?

Most players have long developed before the coach gets a hold of them. I don't think Therrien ices the best team on any given night, but sometimes there can be a reason for that, ie Sekac, over Bourque/Moen, I think the staff new all along they were moving those 2 out or that they were at least on a short leash, so they wanted to give one more opportunity to a couple guys who showed signs as a Hab. Pretty normal, even if it's painful for the fans.

His breakout strategies look fine some games, poor in others, as witnessed last night, this is more than likely a performance/execution problem then a reqorking the strategy every other night.

No there isn't, so why do we praise everything MB and bash everything MT, the truth is MB has the power to dictate who is on the roster and who isn't. I never said they agree on everything, I'm sure MB cringes every once and awhile on a decision made by MT, but he wouldn't have extended him for 4 years if they were completely out of step. A coach favoring vets? Wow, which coach doesn't?

Sure, and I think they were work a little closer with each other then many let on. Not always agreeing, but important things like which roster to use is done together imo, maybe not every callup MB consults MT, but I'm sure they discuss these things.

This isn't about you, in general, fans always blame the coach, the media as well. It's foolish imo.

Great post...heaven forbid anybody brings common sense into this board.

Most posters are all about their agenda and when the team loses it's only Therrien, DD, Gilbert or Allen's fault...

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Sure they do...

Nathan Beaulieu: 0 goals, 6 pts in 37 games
Douglas Murray: 64 pts in 518 games
Francis Bouillon: 149 pts in 776 games

Please tell me how Beaulieu's numbers beat the ever living **** out of the other 2?

Now, don't get me wrong, Murray and Bouillon were bad (especially Murray) but Beaulieu was not a better option than these guys defensively.

In 15 games this year, Beaulieu has a Corsi Relative of 16.0, nearly 7 points higher than the next best D Subban. Yes, he's played in a sheltered role, but the fact of the matter is that when he's on the ice, we have the puck. His abilities in the offensive zone are very needed by our team right now, as the rest of our D are too slow to keep up. His play in transition is great too as he can actually skate the puck out of the zone, or make a crisp tape to tape pass on the fly.

As for his production, a lot of that has to do with his horrible 4.9% on ice shooting percentage and his impossibly low 967 PDO. Give him more time and a consistent spot in the lineup, and the team will benefit.

I'd be interested in knowing the teams record with him in the lineup this season so far... I wouldn't be surprised if the situation is similar to when Sekac was benched for 7 games and the team kept losing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Also, this argument that Patches would get more points if he played with a better centerman has the implication that Patches is capable of making plays. He isn't! Not on a regular basis. Stick handling and passing are not Patches forte. Speed (without the puck) and his shot
are his bread and butter assets. They are world class. But In many other aspects of the game he is average at best.

Any centerman you place with Patches will result in one of two scenarios.

1) That centerman becomes another DD who looks to set up Patches and the centermen's numbers will suffer.

or

2) Patches numbers will decline because the new centerman won't want to become Patches feeding machine.
Have you changed your mind yet?

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm suggesting there is not much separation at all. Mike Babcock does nothing to improve this team imo. Fans always think they have the answers, more often than not they're completely full of ****.

You can continue this I know the system is **** mantra if you like, I don't take what you say here seriously at all. I've played hockey all my life, watched hockey all my life, the same as you. You trying to tell others in the same boat it's just their failed understanding of the system that is the problem like you're some kind of higher authority on the subject is laughable.

Do I think Therrien is a great coach, absolutely not, do I think having a great coach would drastically improve things, absolutely not.

Coaches from all teams eventually go from hero to zero and vice versa, the only thing determining this evaluation is the quality of the lineup.

Coaching doesn't win games, players do.

The players themselves have stated the preferred system of today is to carry the puck in the zone. Habs players have said this, you cling way too much to a few words spoken on 24/7. If you believe Therrien is telling the players to hand possession over to the opposing team on purpose then you're a fool, I'm sorry to say. This is a problem of execution and maybe a bit of coaching, but coaching is so low on the totem pole here.

Management, not just the coach have decided to ice the wrong players. MT isn't alone here. MB can send Allen/Weaver to the minors any time he wants. Instead of doing so, he is in lock step with Therrien sending better player off to the minors. It's management, not just the coach here.

It's the I am smarter than you because I understand possession stats....There is no direct correlation between possession and team tactics/strategy. Somehow in the equation we forget talent, size and skill. Totally agree that the difference between NHL coaches is minimal and even if a new coach brings results, most of the time they are short lived. You are what you are as a collective.

Breath of fresh air Tourist (and habsfanatics)- thanks

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's the I am smarter than you because I understand possession stats....
You shouldn't need to see possession stats to know that Murray was crap or that DD shouldn't have been used the way he was. If you can't see that for yourself, then yes everyone here apart from Monctonscout is smarter than you are.
There is no direct correlation between possession and team tactics/strategy.
Actually, there is. The Devils have always had good possession numbers even without a whole lot of talent. They get the most out of what they have. They don't dump the puck in or try for low percentage stretch passes all the time.
Somehow in the equation we forget talent, size and skill.
Nobody's forgotten about it. That's actually the crux of our argument here actually... PLAY your best players in the roles they should be in. And we haven't seen that.
Totally agree that the difference between NHL coaches is minimal and even if a new coach brings results, most of the time they are short lived. You are what you are as a collective.

Breath of fresh air Tourist (and habsfanatics)- thanks
Most people would agree that the difference most coaches bring is minimal. To an extent I agree with it... But some coaches are flat out terrible and when you have one like that he can kill you.

You don't have to "know everything" to know that MT has been ****ing terrible for us. For the first time ever - EVER - he put together a lineup that everyone here agreed with. And what happened? We played our best game since I can't remember when.

You don't have to be a genius to see that putting your best players on the first line makes sense. And you don't have to be a genius to see that you should have Subban out in critical situations. How smart do you have to be to not put Cube on the PP or in the lineup at all to begin with?

These are OBVIOUS, PLAIN AS DAY mistakes. We've needlessly handicapped ourselves for a long time now. This lineup is a hell of a lot better than we've shown but it's been held back. For a long time now we've heard nonsense and excuses as to why our best players can't be in prominent roles - last night you saw the result of actually putting our best players there.

Are we going to play like that every night going forward? No. There will be games where we get smoked still. But at the very least we're putting our best lineup forward now. And at least now we can get some sense of what this team is capable of. Because I don't care what anyone says its a hell of a lot more capable than getting totally outshot every night.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But it should be about me seeing how you're quoting me. If you're going to lump every single fan in the same bubble then you can say people are complaining about everyone all the time. It's like saying I'm always criticizing every player. So if you're quoting someone, shouldn't you stick to how consistent this poster has been with regards to the topic at hand?
I didn't have an issue with Martin. I didn't like his system much because it was a bit boring, but I recognized its effectiveness. Where we finished with such a mediocre group is pretty impressive. I applauded Therrien in the 12-13 season for changing his ways and seemingly improving his coaching. But that changed last year.
As for last night, we limited Vancouver to 6-5-5 shots. If that's what Therrien is trying to get his guys to do, he's been failing 99% of the time because it almost never happens that we limit teams to such a low total.
Vancouver was finishing a 7game road trip in like 12 days. I suspect that had more to do with it.

That's fine. I also look at how players progress. Ours haven't really. It's taken a lot of time for the obvious to happen as well (Galch at center).
He's also managed to turn one of the most exciting players in the NHL and a Norris winner into a disappointing, reined in weird Dman.
I also look at the structure. How quick and efficient are we at transitioning up, what do we do in the zones, etc.
I can't speak for the other coaches, just ours, and I'm seriously not impressed.
I was under Martin. I was the first year of Therrien. I haven't been these past two seasons.
No he didn't forget how to coach but he changed and for the worse. You didn't listen to Murray's press conference? He said he had a meeting with MaClean after last season saying that the players didn't like how he had become a lot more of a hard ass mean coach in his 2nd year. He was singling out players. Being a lot more difficult with some of the veterans. He told him that the guys love the old Paul ''they want him back''. Murray said he would reevaluate Paul after the first 20 games, and then Paul made this quote saturday that sealed his faith. He clearly lost the room and wasn't going to get it back. It was worsening, Murray had warned him.
Coaches get fired for various reasons.

Well, maybe, maybe not. Were they showcasing Bouillon and Murray last year? No. Yet Therrien repeatedly used them over Beaulieu who had shown he's above them.
Did the same this year with Allen/Weaver.
But even if you want to say that it is an execution problem, we have been executing poorly for most nights. Had we not, our possession numbers would be top tier. They're not. They weren't last year, and they're not again this year. So if your team has such difficulty executing, then you need to point at coaching.
I'm a S&C coach. If my athlete cannot perform a squat correctly after a year of training, is it his fault or mine? If a group of athletes cannot perform a group task together better than they did a year ago all the while training hard in between, who's fault is it?
We were a worse team under Martin but somehow executed better..? There's no reason for us to be having problem executing, we're not Buffalo or Edmonton.

I understand you grow tired of pointing the finger at the coach, which is fine, but it doesn't mean that people are wrong.
I'm sure they got along well, are they still? I don't know. Things can change pretty fast as I'm sure you know.
It's one thing to favor a guy like Gomez over Eller, it's another to do it with Murray/Allen vs Beaulieu.

Last edited:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
But it should be about me seeing how you're quoting me. If you're going to lump every single fan in the same bubble then you can say people are complaining about everyone all the time. It's like saying I'm always criticizing every player. So if you're quoting someone, shouldn't you stick to how consistent this poster has been with regards to the topic at hand?
I didn't have an issue with Martin. I didn't like his system much because it was a bit boring, but I recognized its effectiveness. Where we finished with such a mediocre group is pretty impressive. I applauded Therrien in the 12-13 season for changing his ways and seemingly improving his coaching. But that changed last year.
As for last night, we limited Vancouver to 6-5-5 shots. If that's what Therrien is trying to get his guys to do, he's been failing 99% of the time because it almost never happens that we limit teams to such a low total.
Vancouver was finishing a 7game road trip in like 12 days. I suspect that had more to do with it.

I didn't mean to lump everyone in together, some complaints are fair, some I feel are over the top. I don't think Therrien is the brightest coach in the world, but there are worse imo.

Maybe the reason it was failing was because of the roster he was icing and they weren't good enough on a typical night to do what they did last night and the system wasn't the problem afterall? I have np with him starting the year with DD/Patches, most coaches would have done the same, he was a little late to change it up, but DD did put up 51 points in his last 60 games. I wasn't expecting him to be producing the little that he has either, it's not just the production, he's not playing well, but had a nice game last night.

That's fine. I also look at how players progress. Ours haven't really. It's taken a lot of time for the obvious to happen as well (Galch at center).

Not that obvious, I still think he'll have plenty of struggles there, great game last night, but the book is still out on this. If in another 10 games he's resembling last night, I'll gladly admit I was wrong and he is ready. Some people will cling to the idea until the bitter end, if a better solution is proven, I'll happily admit it.

He's also managed to turn one of the most exciting players in the NHL and a Norris winner into a disappointing, reined in weird Dman.

I'm not seeing it tbh, PK struggled for a bit early on, but he's rounding into form. I think PK might be making a conscious decision to change his game as he feels he's one of the new leaders on the team. We don't know if this is the coaches doing for sure, that's part of the problem, you speak like this is a fact, there could be more than one reason for this. Could be coaching, could be PK, could be both.

I also look at the structure. How quick and efficient are we at transitioning up, what do we do in the zones, etc.
I can't speak for the other coaches, just ours, and I'm seriously not impressed.
I was under Martin. I was the first year of Therrien. I haven't been these past two seasons.

I look at all these things too, in fact, watching the games it's impossible not to. I seen a team struggling to make plays, whatever reason for that, I don't know, system/performance, a bit of both. I've seen Markov tee up some pretty nice one-timers to the opposition which is quite unusual for him. I've seen the guys losing confidence and doing things they don't normally do. I don't think this is the coach.

No he didn't forget how to coach but he changed and for the worse. You didn't listen to Murray's press conference? He said he had a meeting with MaClean after last season saying that the players didn't like how he had become a lot more of a hard ass mean coach in his 2nd year. He was singling out players. Being a lot more difficult with some of the veterans. He told him that the guys love the old Paul ''they want him back''. Murray said he would reevaluate Paul after the first 20 games, and then Paul made this quote saturday that sealed his faith. He clearly lost the room and wasn't going to get it back. It was worsening, Murray had warned him.
Coaches get fired for various reasons.
Both the players and Paul said they got along fine, but if he was a good coach, he would have done things differently, surely. Or perhaps Ottawa just doesn't have a good team, and overachieved the year he won the Jack Adams, was the over-achievement a result of coaching or variance. I've never seen anything spectacular about him even when he won coach of the year.

Well, maybe, maybe not. Were they showcasing Bouillon and Murray last year? No. Yet Therrien repeatedly used them over Beaulieu who had shown he's above them.
Did the same this year with Allen/Weaver.
Again, Therrien, repeatedly used him? Where was the GM at, asleep at the wheel? He gives the coach the players. He could have given Therrien a different roster, he didn't, so imo, some of this criticism is misguided, it should fall on both, Therrien likely preferred the 2 vets, as many stubborn coaches do, but MB could have changed the roster at any point he wanted to and if he didn't like the direction the coach was going he certainly didn't need to extend him.

But even if you want to say that it is an execution problem, we have been executing poorly for most nights. Had we not, our possession numbers would be top tier. They're not. They weren't last year, and they're not again this year. So if your team has such difficulty executing, then you need to point at coaching.
I'm a S&C coach. If my athlete cannot perform a squat correctly after a year of training, is it his fault or mine? If a group of athletes cannot perform a group task together better than they did a year ago all the while training hard in between, who's fault is it?

Depends, we usually mask alot of our problems through special teams. There is more than one way to win. I'd prefer we had a team that dominated it's opponents 5vs5 every night rather than relying on the pp, but we haven't been that team very often, our pp struggles and so do we typically.

I would say about you being a S&C coach if that scenario were to happen then it would probably be a bit of both. Perhaps your client is a bit difficult, feels he knows better and doesn't take advice well, maybe you have to find a different way to convey your message to this individual. Maybe, there is absolutely nothing you can do, depends on the circumstance.

I'm a little careful about citing our positive possession in a shortened season as proof everything has changed, maybe we were never that team, others took us lightly, whatever. There's alot of changing parts every year, new addons, players getting older, younger players maturing. Not to mention all the other teams looking to improve their respective roster. I'm not a Therrien fan, but he does some things well imo, the team is resilient and seem to goto battle for one another, I think he deserves credit for that.

We were a worse team under Martin but somehow executed better..? There's no reason for us to be having problem executing, we're not Buffalo or Edmonton.
Nothing is static, like I said, others improve as well. It's not as simple as we did better then with less. Things change, but Martin was a pretty good coach, I suppose.
I understand you grow tired of pointing the finger at the coach, which is fine, but it doesn't mean that people are wrong.
Maybe some of what they say is right. I don't really care what others do, but it gets to the point where nothing new is said and no matter what is happening the fingers are pointed in the same direction, to me, that is short-sighted and not at all a thoughtful evaluation.

Personally I don't think Therrien is the greatest coach, some of what everyone says is true, how much is the debate here.

I'm sure they got along well, are they still? I don't know. Things can change pretty fast as I'm sure you know.

Well of course, so why keep reciting what JM did and what MT did a couple years ago during a lockout season?
It's one thing to favor a guy like Gomez over Eller, it's another to do it with Murray/Allen vs Beaulieu.

I agree, seems like management was on the same page here, no?

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't mean to lump everyone in together, some complaints are fair, some I feel are over the top. I don't think Therrien is the brightest coach in the world, but there are worse imo.

Maybe the reason it was failing was because of the roster he was icing and they weren't good enough on a typical night to do what they did last night and the system wasn't the problem afterall? I have np with him starting the year with DD/Patches, most coaches would have done the same, he was a little late to change it up, but DD did put up 51 points in his last 60 games. I wasn't expecting him to be producing the little that he has either, it's not just the production, he's not playing well, but had a nice game last night.
Sure, there are worse. That's not really an argument though.
It wasn't the roster, unless of course you think this roster is a bottom tier possession one that can't outshot or outchance their opponents on most nights. I don't. As I said, we had worse rosters in the past and did better. So we don't really need to guess. We know we could be better.
And if you want to mention roster decisions, then it's on him as well. He decides who goes in or not, and who plays where. He's the one that puts Bouillon on the PP, or sits PK with 5min left, or puts Murray/Allen in over Beaulieu, etc.

Not that obvious, I still think he'll have plenty of struggles there, great game last night, but the book is still out on this. If in another 10 games he's resembling last night, I'll gladly admit I was wrong and he is ready. Some people will cling to the idea until the bitter end, if a better solution is proven, I'll happily admit it.
It is obvious when you look at the fact this kid just strives towards creating plays. The more room you have, the better you'll be. He has more room at center, not only will that help him create, but he'll be able to pick up even more speed.
So yes, I would keep him at center regardless. I'm utterly convinced it is what's best for both him and the team.
I'm not seeing it tbh, PK struggled for a bit early on, but he's rounding into form. I think PK might be making a conscious decision to change his game as he feels he's one of the new leaders on the team. We don't know if this is the coaches doing for sure, that's part of the problem, you speak like this is a fact, there could be more than one reason for this. Could be coaching, could be PK, could be both.
If there is only player that we can be certain was told to change by the coach, it's PK.
Therrien said from day 1, get rid of the triple low 5. He said he wants to make PK into a better person. He also said that PK is good (the year of the Norris) but he wants him to be great. He said he wants PK to learn how to be a leader. He needs to play the clock better/more. Countless and countless of comments from the coach that point towards him wanting to change PK.
PK doesn't go for the big hits anymore..can't even recall the last time he tried. He rushes the puck a heck of a lot less. He's still an awesome talent but I personally preferred the old PK.

I look at all these things too, in fact, watching the games it's impossible not to. I seen a team struggling to make plays, whatever reason for that, I don't know, system/performance, a bit of both. I've seen Markov tee up some pretty nice one-timers to the opposition which is quite unusual for him. I've seen the guys losing confidence and doing things they don't normally do. I don't think this is the coach.
Markov kicking the puck with his skate and ending up on an opponent's stick resulting in a goal isn't something the coach tells him to do. Of course not.
Nobody here is arguing that every single bit of bad play is a result of bad coaching.
But we are a team that constantly get outshot, outchanced, with terrible possession.
You can say it's because we just aren't that good, but I disagree. There's no reason for us to be in the bottom tier, even if you don't like our guys.
And again, if you want to then look at execution. Well, if you can't execute things after a year, then it falls on the coach, especially knowing we don't have a group of guys that are hard to coach/don't listen.
Both the players and Paul said they got along fine, but if he was a good coach, he would have done things differently, surely. Or perhaps Ottawa just doesn't have a good team, and overachieved the year he won the Jack Adams, was the over-achievement a result of coaching or variance. I've never seen anything spectacular about him even when he won coach of the year.
Players can say anything, especially when the coach is still around. Just like Gainey said Carbo was his best hire just like a week or two before firing him.
Ottawa didn't have a good team. It doesn't mean PM did everything good and deserved a pass. Clearly, from what Murray said, PM had lost it.
Again, Therrien, repeatedly used him? Where was the GM at, asleep at the wheel? He gives the coach the players. He could have given Therrien a different roster, he didn't, so imo, some of this criticism is misguided, it should fall on both, Therrien likely preferred the 2 vets, as many stubborn coaches do, but MB could have changed the roster at any point he wanted to and if he didn't like the direction the coach was going he certainly didn't need to extend him.
Bergevin gave Therrien Sekac-Beaulieu-Tinordi.
Sekac was sat after 6 games. Beaulieu-Tinordi in AHL. Therrien wants help on the PP, Bergevin gets him Gonchar, a proven PP performer. PP goes nowhere, why? Because the roster isn't the problem. It's the same at ES.
Last year, Bergevin brings in Vanek. Therrien decides to use him in a role Vanek himself said he was never used to playing in. His addition also just barely helped us improve our possession numbers. How crazy is that?

Depends, we usually mask alot of our problems through special teams. There is more than one way to win. I'd prefer we had a team that dominated it's opponents 5vs5 every night rather than relying on the pp, but we haven't been that team very often, our pp struggles and so do we typically.
Well, that's exactly it. You can see that we struggle at ES, we also struggle on the PP. So what is keeping us afloat?? It's not the system, it's not the special teams. So what's left? Talent. That's what's saving our *****.
Precisely why people are saying Therrien sucks. He's not doing a good job, he's just being saved by the talent and depth on this team.
I mean, it's not 100% all bad. He does some good things, but overall, it's not quite good.

I would say about you being a S&C coach if that scenario were to happen then it would probably be a bit of both. Perhaps your client is a bit difficult, feels he knows better and doesn't take advice well, maybe you have to find a different way to convey your message to this individual. Maybe, there is absolutely nothing you can do, depends on the circumstance.
Well ya, sure, if you noticed that one or two of them were bad vs 18 others. But if you see that it's 2-3 that are good vs 17-18 that are having difficulties, then you'll blame me. That's what we're seeing here. Very little progression from the majority of our players.

I'm a little careful about citing our positive possession in a shortened season as proof everything has changed, maybe we were never that team, others took us lightly, whatever. There's alot of changing parts every year, new addons, players getting older, younger players maturing. Not to mention all the other teams looking to improve their respective roster. I'm not a Therrien fan, but he does some things well imo, the team is resilient and seem to goto battle for one another, I think he deserves credit for that.
I will say that a big reason we struggled a little more in 13-14 is because we opted to kill a solid defensive 4th line. In 12-13, we could use Halpern-Moen-Armstrong-White on the bottom line for defensive duties. That gave Plek-DD some shared offensive responsibilities, with Eller getting a more sheltered role with rookies.
In 13-14, we opted to bring in a goon in Parros, we had to put a dead weight offensive veteran in Briere on the 4th line as well, it was a line with no identity.
So Therrien turned to Plekanec to take on massive defensive duties. Seriously. If you observe how Plekanec was being used, he was getting the role of a prototypical 3rd line checker except with even more ice time. At the same time, Therrien killed his depth by rendering Eller completely useless offensively sticking him Bourque and a grinder.
So I will say part of it was the poor decisions from management to not understand the importance of having a trustworthy 4th line available to you, but at the same time, Therrien took some stupid coaching decisions that made the situation even worse. And there really isn't any excuse for the lack of organization and structure when we played in our zone. It's just terrible hockey. That's on the coach.
This year however, there's no excuse. Our guys should be playing much better at ES. Defensively, nothing is different either. If they turn it around, I will give props to Therrien. Until then, it's on him.

Well of course, so why keep reciting what JM did and what MT did a couple years ago during a lockout season?
To show you that my opinion is not a general one made up from bias.
I agree, seems like management was on the same page here, no?
Or they gave him the rope he wanted to possibly hang himself with.
You can go back to my Gonchar example. Therrien can ask Bergevin for PP help. He gets a nice simple deal in bringing Gonchar, a proven PP performer, here. What happens? Nothing. So, do we have to go after someone else?
You have Markov and PK. After them you have Gilbert-Beaulieu. All four of these guys are good enough to get a PP going from the point. We have enough skill up front to take advantage of playing with an extra man.
It's all about our strategies. It's not the guys not executing, you can't possibly think that. We have the puck for full minutes in the opposition's zone, heck I remember us having it for like 1:50! Yet all we do is cycle it around and try to set up the point. Always. So don't tell me it's a lack of execution. It's a systematic issue.
Just look at the 5 on 3 yesterday. Complete control is their zone, PK and Markov, both stayed high at the blue trying to get their shots set up despite having a ton of room to come closer. It was Pejorative Slured.
And I've seen enough of PK-Markov to know that they're not PP stupid. If they see the room in front, they don't usually sit back.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The truth is the Habs have played well enough to be in position for the playoffs, but one bad week can see them on the edge fighting for a playoff spot. There cannot be any passengers on NHL teams or they will not make the playoffs, the Habs included even with Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gallagher, and Galchenyuk all healthy. Parity does make it very difficult for any team that loses focus or suffers injuries, the Habs have depth which helps, but rookies can't replace losing any veteran for long stretches.:nod:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Sure, there are worse. That's not really an argument though.
It wasn't the roster, unless of course you think this roster is a bottom tier possession one that can't outshot or outchance their opponents on most nights. I don't. As I said, we had worse rosters in the past and did better. So we don't really need to guess. We know we could be better.
And if you want to mention roster decisions, then it's on him as well. He decides who goes in or not, and who plays where. He's the one that puts Bouillon on the PP, or sits PK with 5min left, or puts Murray/Allen in over Beaulieu, etc.

It is obvious when you look at the fact this kid just strives towards creating plays. The more room you have, the better you'll be. He has more room at center, not only will that help him create, but he'll be able to pick up even more speed.
So yes, I would keep him at center regardless. I'm utterly convinced it is what's best for both him and the team.

If there is only player that we can be certain was told to change by the coach, it's PK.
Therrien said from day 1, get rid of the triple low 5. He said he wants to make PK into a better person. He also said that PK is good (the year of the Norris) but he wants him to be great. He said he wants PK to learn how to be a leader. He needs to play the clock better/more. Countless and countless of comments from the coach that point towards him wanting to change PK.
PK doesn't go for the big hits anymore..can't even recall the last time he tried. He rushes the puck a heck of a lot less. He's still an awesome talent but I personally preferred the old PK.

Markov kicking the puck with his skate and ending up on an opponent's stick resulting in a goal isn't something the coach tells him to do. Of course not.
Nobody here is arguing that every single bit of bad play is a result of bad coaching.
But we are a team that constantly get outshot, outchanced, with terrible possession.
You can say it's because we just aren't that good, but I disagree. There's no reason for us to be in the bottom tier, even if you don't like our guys.
And again, if you want to then look at execution. Well, if you can't execute things after a year, then it falls on the coach, especially knowing we don't have a group of guys that are hard to coach/don't listen.

Players can say anything, especially when the coach is still around. Just like Gainey said Carbo was his best hire just like a week or two before firing him.
Ottawa didn't have a good team. It doesn't mean PM did everything good and deserved a pass. Clearly, from what Murray said, PM had lost it.

Bergevin gave Therrien Sekac-Beaulieu-Tinordi.
Sekac was sat after 6 games. Beaulieu-Tinordi in AHL. Therrien wants help on the PP, Bergevin gets him Gonchar, a proven PP performer. PP goes nowhere, why? Because the roster isn't the problem. It's the same at ES.
Last year, Bergevin brings in Vanek. Therrien decides to use him in a role Vanek himself said he was never used to playing in. His addition also just barely helped us improve our possession numbers. How crazy is that?

Well, that's exactly it. You can see that we struggle at ES, we also struggle on the PP. So what is keeping us afloat?? It's not the system, it's not the special teams. So what's left? Talent. That's what's saving our *****.
Precisely why people are saying Therrien sucks. He's not doing a good job, he's just being saved by the talent and depth on this team.
I mean, it's not 100% all bad. He does some good things, but overall, it's not quite good.

Well ya, sure, if you noticed that one or two of them were bad vs 18 others. But if you see that it's 2-3 that are good vs 17-18 that are having difficulties, then you'll blame me. That's what we're seeing here. Very little progression from the majority of our players.

I will say that a big reason we struggled a little more in 13-14 is because we opted to kill a solid defensive 4th line. In 12-13, we could use Halpern-Moen-Armstrong-White on the bottom line for defensive duties. That gave Plek-DD some shared offensive responsibilities, with Eller getting a more sheltered role with rookies.
In 13-14, we opted to bring in a goon in Parros, we had to put a dead weight offensive veteran in Briere on the 4th line as well, it was a line with no identity.
So Therrien turned to Plekanec to take on massive defensive duties. Seriously. If you observe how Plekanec was being used, he was getting the role of a prototypical 3rd line checker except with even more ice time. At the same time, Therrien killed his depth by rendering Eller completely useless offensively sticking him Bourque and a grinder.
So I will say part of it was the poor decisions from management to not understand the importance of having a trustworthy 4th line available to you, but at the same time, Therrien took some stupid coaching decisions that made the situation even worse. And there really isn't any excuse for the lack of organization and structure when we played in our zone. It's just terrible hockey. That's on the coach.
This year however, there's no excuse. Our guys should be playing much better at ES. Defensively, nothing is different either. If they turn it around, I will give props to Therrien. Until then, it's on him.

To show you that my opinion is not a general one made up from bias.

Or they gave him the rope he wanted to possibly hang himself with.
You can go back to my Gonchar example. Therrien can ask Bergevin for PP help. He gets a nice simple deal in bringing Gonchar, a proven PP performer, here. What happens? Nothing. So, do we have to go after someone else?
You have Markov and PK. After them you have Gilbert-Beaulieu. All four of these guys are good enough to get a PP going from the point. We have enough skill up front to take advantage of playing with an extra man.
It's all about our strategies. It's not the guys not executing, you can't possibly think that. We have the puck for full minutes in the opposition's zone, heck I remember us having it for like 1:50! Yet all we do is cycle it around and try to set up the point. Always. So don't tell me it's a lack of execution. It's a systematic issue.
Just look at the 5 on 3 yesterday. Complete control is their zone, PK and Markov, both stayed high at the blue trying to get their shots set up despite having a ton of room to come closer. It was Pejorative Slured.
And I've seen enough of PK-Markov to know that they're not PP stupid. If they see the room in front, they don't usually sit back.

I don't disagree with much of what you say kriss, there are some things we don't agree on and some things that you seem to think you know for sure. We're not there, we don't know the inner workings, your Gonchar example,I dunno, was anyone expecting much out of this guy? I was expecting slightly better than Kabs, he just not a very good dman anymore. I'd prefer either kid over him, he hasn't been bad, but he's just not that good. He looked like a world beater for 2 or 3 games and his play has slowly been regressing in my view. Something expected there. I think MB removed a contract from the team that was not part of the team moving forward, Gonchar was the cost to do this.

Anyways, great discussion, but I don't feel like quoting everything you say over again and just keep spinning our wheels here.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Have you changed your mind yet?

After one effing game where he's awarded an assist on Gally's great shot for basically just being Patches and we gotta award him points well because he's Patches, and an empty netter where instead of helping out on the defensive side he was planted on the opponent's blue line during a 6 on 5 attack. I wonder how many will have the guts to point it out when he pulls that stunt during an important season game or a payoff game and the opponents score?

Patches played well and with some life IN THAT GAME but I'm not gonna wet my pants after one game. I still think Patches is overrated. In some ways he reminds me of Semin in that he scores lots of goals but those goals usually just pad his record and when the going gets tough well the tough just go away. When Patches shows up for important games and series and delivers then I will change my mind. Until then I consider Patches a good hockey player not an elite one.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
A season is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Therefore, with the record the team had early on, it is quite normal that the coaches gave all the chances in the world to the veterans to get it going, gave all the chances in the world to the system to be successful, and gave all the chances in the world to the players playing on the PP to succeed.

Now the team is struggling, and we're seeing major changes. So I don't know where the hate for MT comes from. He does make changes, and bold ones. Sekac plays in every situation, DD isn't the first line center and doesn't play on the PP, Galchenyuk is playing C, Subban is back with Makov, both PP waves have changed and generatye more chances even if they're not too successful.

For the system in used, well I think it is normal that the coach sticks to it until they have the certitude that it doesn't work even if everybody execute it well. Then you can change it. But the coaches know better that us if their system is well applied or not.

The lack of offense? Well to me, it has more to do with the Defense than the offense. The offense has enough talent to score enough goal to be a top tier team. But beside Subban and Markov, nobody is able to generate anything from D. The team has a #1 (Subban), a #2-becoming-a-#3 (Markov), and a bunch of #5-6-7.

To a lesser extend, the lack of offense also comes from the limited offensive upside the Centers have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're bad by any means, I'm just saying none as the type of talent to generate top level offense. Galchenyuk might change that, but he's still only 20, so patience is the key word with him.

Now Bergevin has got rid of some deadwood and brought some over-the-hill veterans on D (I think he didn't have any choice given the player he was trading). Like I said, a season is a marathon, not a sprint. So it is quite normal that the coaches are working with these vets to see exactly what they have in hands. Then if it doesn't work, I see no reason they won't do bold changes like they just did for the offense. It is a matter of time.

Enjoy the show, guys. It is like a TV series. The story doesn't end with each episode. With the recent changes, we can say the first act is over. Now we're in the second act... The longest one.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
After one effing game where he's awarded an assist on Gally's great shot for basically just being Patches and we gotta award him points well because he's Patches, and an empty netter where instead of helping out on the defensive side he was planted on the opponent's blue line during a 6 on 5 attack. I wonder how many will have the guts to point it out when he pulls that stunt during an important season game or a payoff game and the opponents score?

Patches played well and with some life IN THAT GAME but I'm not gonna wet my pants after one game. I still think Patches is overrated. In some ways he reminds me of Semin in that he scores lots of goals but those goals usually just pad his record and when the going gets tough well the tough just go away. When Patches shows up for important games and series and delivers then I will change my mind. Until then I consider Patches a good hockey player not an elite one.
I was talking about your assertion that he wouldn't score as many points with a better center. And your other assertion that the center's numbers would suffer as well...

As for Max being "elite" - as everyone has said, that depends on your definition of elite. He's not superstar that's for sure. But he's a top line LW and there's zero reason to believe he can't set up plays as well as finish them.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A season is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Therefore, with the record the team had early on, it is quite normal that the coaches gave all the chances in the world to the veterans to get it going, gave all the chances in the world to the system to be successful, and gave all the chances in the world to the players playing on the PP to succeed.
I'm sorry but I gotta disagree with you, this is on the coach.

These changes should've been made LAST season.

The team didn't play well last year. The idea that you should just muddle along and let your goalie save your ass is ridiculous but that's what we've done. A coach is responsible for everything outside of goaltending - that's his ****ing job. And if the team isn't playing well he should work to fix it.
Now the team is struggling, and we're seeing major changes. So I don't know where the hate for MT comes from. He does make changes, and bold ones. Sekac plays in every situation, DD isn't the first line center and doesn't play on the PP, Galchenyuk is playing C, Subban is back with Makov, both PP waves have changed and generatye more chances even if they're not too successful.
Sekac? Wasn't he the guy we benched for seven games for no reason?
For the system in used, well I think it is normal that the coach sticks to it until they have the certitude that it doesn't work even if everybody execute it well. Then you can change it. But the coaches know better that us if their system is well applied or not.
It didn't work last year. Why would it work this season? Esp when you're playing inferior players in top roles?
The lack of offense? Well to me, it has more to do with the Defense than the offense. The offense has enough talent to score enough goal to be a top tier team. But beside Subban and Markov, nobody is able to generate anything from D. The team has a #1 (Subban), a #2-becoming-a-#3 (Markov), and a bunch of #5-6-7.
How about Beaulieu? He had positive possession numbers when not paired with either of the two worst blueliners in the game? He can skate with the puck and set up plays. He should've been in the lineup last season but we leave him in Hamilton. Why? So we can ice two terrible blueliners and then this season we've seen Allen over him.

This is just flat out dumb.
To a lesser extend, the lack of offense also comes from the limited offensive upside the Centers have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're bad by any means, I'm just saying none as the type of talent to generate top level offense. Galchenyuk might change that, but he's still only 20, so patience is the key word with him.
How do we know what Eller's offensive upside is to begin with? He's outscoring DD at 5 on 5 and he's been in a checking role with terrible linemates for the most part. Pleks was relegated to a defensive dishrag last season too. Only one guy (our worst offensive center outside the 4th line) has gotten the opportunities.

Our centers are a lot better offensively than they've been able to show.
Now Bergevin has got rid of some deadwood and brought some over-the-hill veterans on D (I think he didn't have any choice given the player he was trading). Like I said, a season is a marathon, not a sprint. So it is quite normal that the coaches are working with these vets to see exactly what they have in hands. Then if it doesn't work, I see no reason they won't do bold changes like they just did for the offense. It is a matter of time.

Enjoy the show, guys. It is like a TV series. The story doesn't end with each episode. With the recent changes, we can say the first act is over. Now we're in the second act... The longest one.
MB has done a good job for the most part and I'm excited as anyone about the changes going forward. This IS a good team we just haven't played like one because of the way we've been set up. But Beaulieu's in the lineup (even if he's not getting much ice) and the lines are set up properly. If we stick with things this way I think we'll play better going forward. But DD should never see 1st line minutes again, nor should he be on the PP.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't disagree with much of what you say kriss, there are some things we don't agree on and some things that you seem to think you know for sure. We're not there, we don't know the inner workings, your Gonchar example,I dunno, was anyone expecting much out of this guy? I was expecting slightly better than Kabs, he just not a very good dman anymore. I'd prefer either kid over him, he hasn't been bad, but he's just not that good. He looked like a world beater for 2 or 3 games and his play has slowly been regressing in my view. Something expected there. I think MB removed a contract from the team that was not part of the team moving forward, Gonchar was the cost to do this.

Anyways, great discussion, but I don't feel like quoting everything you say over again and just keep spinning our wheels here.

It doesn't have to be one or the other really. They wanted to get rid of contracts, but they also wanted help on the PP. Considering it took them 20 games before reorganizing our position on the PP, it's fair to assume they targeted Gonchar for the PP. I'm not too sure but I think I heard Bergevin or Therrien also mention Gonchar's PP performance too.
So yea I'm pretty sure they expected him to produce there.

It was a good discussion indeed and yea, after a while splitting up posts takes forever.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
It doesn't have to be one or the other really. They wanted to get rid of contracts, but they also wanted help on the PP. Considering it took them 20 games before reorganizing our position on the PP, it's fair to assume they targeted Gonchar for the PP. I'm not too sure but I think I heard Bergevin or Therrien also mention Gonchar's PP performance too.
So yea I'm pretty sure they expected him to produce there.

It was a good discussion indeed and yea, after a while splitting up posts takes forever.

I think they were hoping for positive results, but not expecting much. NB was already here and barely given a look. That's on both parties imo.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think they were hoping for positive results, but not expecting much. NB was already here and barely given a look. That's on both parties imo.

I don't really know if it's on both parties. Bergevin said in the off season he was willing to take a step back if it meant leaving our kids here and living with their mistakes.
So, either he went back on his words or Therrien didn't feel the same.
No way for us to really know but going on the information that's available to us. I would imagine this is more of Bergevin realizing Therrien isn't playing the kids, so instead of having them rot in the press box or play for 9min a game, send them down and give him veterans signed for deals ending this year.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't really know if it's on both parties. Bergevin said in the off season he was willing to take a step back if it meant leaving our kids here and living with their mistakes.
So, either he went back on his words or Therrien didn't feel the same.
No way for us to really know but going on the information that's available to us. I would imagine this is more of Bergevin realizing Therrien isn't playing the kids, so instead of having them rot in the press box or play for 9min a game, send them down and give him veterans signed for deals ending this year.

I see no point in guessing here. Ultimately Bergevin runs the team, if he wants NB in the lineup getting an opportunity like he said then he could have made it happen. Having Gonchar is a good addition (depth wise), but he's being overused already. I'll point the blame at Therrien for that, because he dictates those decisions once the roster is set, but if MB thought we had an internal solution to the PP in NB, then he wouldn't have traded for Gonchar other then to remove the extra year on the contract from Moen.

My point is, we don't know, yet we throw the criticism all on MT here, and imo MB is equally to blame. It's his damn roster.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I see no point in guessing here. Ultimately Bergevin runs the team, if he wants NB in the lineup getting an opportunity like he said then he could have made it happen. Having Gonchar is a good addition (depth wise), but he's being overused already. I'll point the blame at Therrien for that, because he dictates those decisions once the roster is set, but if MB thought we had an internal solution to the PP in NB, then he wouldn't have traded for Gonchar other then to remove the extra year on the contract from Moen.

My point is, we don't know, yet we throw the criticism all on MT here, and imo MB is equally to blame. It's his damn roster.
Gonchar was just an example of a player that is supposed to help in a department but didn't. You can blame him for it, or you can point the system.

Well I don't have a problem with the roster. I like it. Certainly room for improvement, like any other, but I like it. We can play better. Anybody can blame left or right, at the end of the day, I think we can agree that we should be playing better than we have.

Personally, I believe it's mostly on Therrien for the numerous opinionated reasons I listed in the various posts above.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Gonchar was just an example of a player that is supposed to help in a department but didn't. You can blame him for it, or you can point the system.

Well I don't have a problem with the roster. I like it. Certainly room for improvement, like any other, but I like it. We can play better. Anybody can blame left or right, at the end of the day, I think we can agree that we should be playing better than we have.

Personally, I believe it's mostly on Therrien for the numerous opinionated reasons I listed in the various posts above.

I agree that most of the struggles can be laid at Therrien's feet.

What is really funny, though, is Therrien trying to take some credit for inserting Galchenyuk into the center position at exactly the right time in his development. It came off as disingenuous at best.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I agree that most of the struggles can be laid at Therrien's feet.

What is really funny, though, is Therrien trying to take some credit for inserting Galchenyuk into the center position at exactly the right time in his development. It came off as disingenuous at best.

That's because he's an egomaniacal thug.

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
The whole Beaulieu/Tinordi over Gonchar rants are hurting my ears. There's a lot of blame going to MT but it's generally an unknown written rule/code that a vet of Gonchar's age & history will get the call by the team acquiring him. It's almost like it should be called the "not being an ******* to the vet code".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad