The Troops are Coming

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It depends to me if we get an offer for him I'd probabky take it. He'd get between 1 and 2 million. 1.5+ is a 2nd round compensation, 1.5-1.1 is 3rd. I don't think a team would give up that for Gally. But I would re-sign him and not let him be a UFA. For a few reasons

1) He's young a lot of fans are talking about how much they love seeing Backlund develop as a young player. Galiardi is 25, Backs is 24. He has a few years to develop more.

2) Not long enough sample size He did change teams and is ajusting to systems still but as the article mentioned he hasn't played on the PP at all. He was playing on the PP with SJ. Hispoint preduction would increase if he played there. He did well with the Sharks. It also could just be an off year.

3) He's had more defensive starts He's been askedto play a more gritty, defensive style. On SJ a team with lots of scoring Galiardi had more offensive starts than he does now with CGY. More defensive starts

4) Players he's played with this year is much worse than SJ Top 5 players he was with SJ, Pavelski, Burns, Thorton, Boyle, Stuart. CGY is Colborne, Stajan, Backlund, Brodie, Wideman. When CGY's competing he would step up easily with injuries or slumps. He doesn't look out of place with top players. With Monahan or McDavid :naughty: or Jankowski he'd be back at his pace.

5) He's played vs harder competition Gally has had to face the opponents team's top 6 the vast majority of time. He's playing vs top players where as Hudler, Colborne, Monahan etc are playing against joe blow called up from the Chicoutimi Baguetts.

6) He plays a gritty game We need that tupe of play. He hits, blocks shots, wins the little battles and he's one of our best PKers

A few other tnoughts. He leads the league in penalty differantial and the Flames in shot differential. He might be our fastest player in Byron isn't in.

This was outside of that article. A lot more to the article then the PP time. That was one paragraph out of maybe 8

To quote directly from that article that you posted:

[fieldset=Random blog]Galiardi is scoring about 1.13 points per 60 minutes played. Of the 12 "regular" forwards (i.e. everyone who's played in more than ~45% of the games), he sits 10th - only Bouma (1.00) and McGrattan (0.91) are behind him. That doesn't seem to be the fault of where he is starting his shifts (49.5%, 6/12), who he is playing with (7/12), or who he is playing against (7/12).[/fieldset]

So that completely contradicts your points 3 and 5, and also makes me question whether you actually read the article.

Points 2 and 4 are both arguments as to why his points total was inflated on San Jose. I'm not sure what direction your logic is trying to take here, but saying that he's only capable of producing when he's spoon-fed the best possible opportunities is absolutely not a reason to keep him on the team. If he is going to improve as our team improves, can the same not be said about any other player on our team?

Finally, whether or not he plays a gritty game is not something I'm fully decided on. He hits at about the same rate as Matt Stajan and Lee Stempniak. I would say that his physicality is about average. He is a hard worker and a good forechecker, but we can find that in many other players who make better decisions with the puck.

I'm confused by what you mean by "that was one paragraph out of 8." I checked the page again, and there is no link to any other paragraphs or anything. I have to assume that was written to be a standalone piece, and in it, exactly two arguments are made in Galiardi's favour: he isn't given powerplay time, and he draws penalties. I addressed both.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
All I'm saying is from what I've seen of him, he'll at best be a smaller David Moss, or a slower Lombardi. Lots of spunk but kills plays upon touching the puck.

Whenever I see the morning lines I look to see who's being punished on a line with him.

I feel he lacks hockey smarts, makes mistakes along the boards, is offside on 50% if his rushes and can barely finish when given the opportunity.

That's my opinion anyway.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I still think the sections about shot differential and penalties drawn are very valid, and that he's useful for at least a while as a result of that. I'd definitely re-sign him until we have some guys who have grown into solid defensive forwards.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Be the GM of the Flames

Currently we know that Burke is looking for a GM of the team. Lets play the game if I were GM of the team I would?

This is a good thread for contract info

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1642675

Like to hear more realistic answers Such who should be our backup goalie. If Cammy leaves who replaces him. I have not watched a lot of hockey this season so I do not know who is considered hot commodity and who is not. Like to hear from Flames fan.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Currently we know that Burke is looking for a GM of the team. Lets play the game if I were GM of the team I would?

This is a good thread for contract info

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1642675

Like to hear more realistic answers Such who should be our backup goalie. If Cammy leaves who replaces him. I have not watched a lot of hockey this season so I do not know who is considered hot commodity and who is not. Like to hear from Flames fan.

I believe Burke would sign his old buddy Gustavsson from FA or make a deal for Cam Ward.

To replace Cammy and Hudler who I'd like to trade are 2 of Sobotka, Downie, Iggy, Callahan.

Players who should be in the NHL are Mark Cundari and Max Reinhart in my eyes. Like Detroit I'd like to see Granlund 1-2 more years in AHL and Wotherspoon one more year because D-men have so much to work out in their game he needs one more year after he gets a taste of the NHL. Oh and forgot Sven. NHLer next year. Was on pace for 45 points this year and is scoring a lot now. Plus his D is fine.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
:flames 2014/2015 ROSTER
BLUE=NEW
RED= up from junior

RYAN CALLAHAN (6.25) - MIKAEL BACKLUND (1.5) - CURTIS GLENCROSS (2.55)
PAUL BYRON (1.25) - SEAN MONAHAN (.925) - JOE COLBORNE (1.5)
DANY HEATLEY (2.25) - SAM BENNETT (.925) - MATT READ (.9)
LANCE BOUMA (1.2) - MATT STAJAN (3.125) - MAX REINHART (.618)
X: Brian McGrattan (.75), David Wolf (.875)

T.J BRODIE (2.125) - MARK GIORDANO (4.02)
MICHAEL STONE (1.2) - ERIC GELINAS (1)
KRIS RUSSELL (2.125) - LATISLAV SMID (3.5)
X: Mark Cundari (.75)

KARRI RÄMÖ (2.75)
ANY BACKUP (1)

Too lazy to calculate the cap

This gives up 4 defensivly sound centers that would be able to compete with any team. We have many young players growing including Sean Monahan who is able to grow with some good young talent that's fast and big. (Colborne and Byron).

Very strong D corps. And Rämö has earned the starting job.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
For next year I realistically would like to see

Byron - Backlund - Cammy (5M x 3 years)
Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Bouma - Knight - McGratton
Reinhart

Gaudreau, Knight, Reinhart in
Jones, Galiardi, Westgarth out

Brodie Giordano
Russel Niskanen (5.1M x 6 years)
Smid Wideman

Niskanen in
Butler out

Ramo
Gustavsson (2M x 3 years)

and October 1st I'd have a 4.8M x 7 year deal waiting for Brodie.
with a 4.2M x 5 year deal tabled to Backlund.

I'd have Smid, Wideman, and Hudler all on the trade block looking for 2015 top 70 picks or a big physical young Dmen that projects similar to Seiloff.

I think Johnny may beat Sven and Granlund for an NHL spot next year though it will be an uphill battle for him as Sven has numbers in the NHL and Granlund puts up a good argument for being the Heat's best (as good or possibly better than Reinhart).

If we get Bennett/Ekblad there is a chance they'll see 9 games in the NHL but outside of those 2 I can't see anyone else even getting a look on a Burke team.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
For next year I realistically would like to see

Byron - Backlund - Cammy (5M x 3 years)
Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Bouma - Knight - McGratton
Reinhart

Gaudreau, Knight, Reinhart in
Jones, Galiardi, Westgarth out

Brodie Giordano
Russel Niskanen (5.1M x 6 years)
Smid Wideman

Niskanen in
Butler out

Ramo
Gustavsson (2M x 3 years)

and October 1st I'd have a 4.8M x 7 year deal waiting for Brodie.
with a 4.2M x 5 year deal tabled to Backlund.

I'd have Smid, Wideman, and Hudler all on the trade block looking for 2015 top 70 picks or a big physical young Dmen that projects similar to Seiloff.

I think Johnny may beat Sven and Granlund for an NHL spot next year though it will be an uphill battle for him as Sven has numbers in the NHL and Granlund puts up a good argument for being the Heat's best (as good or possibly better than Reinhart).

If we get Bennett/Ekblad there is a chance they'll see 9 games in the NHL but outside of those 2 I can't see anyone else even getting a look on a Burke team.

I'd like to see a new forward and I really think going straight to NHL would hurt Gaudreau.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Mines like this....

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Bennett - Monahan - Colborne
Wolf - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Kight - McGrattan

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Smid - Stone

* Baertschi for Stone + 3rd
* Once Glencross, Stajan and Jones get injured

Bennett - Backlund - Hudler
Wolf - Monahan - Colborne
Granlund - Knight - Reinhart
Bouma - Arnold - McGattan

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Mines like this....

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Bennett - Monahan - Colborne
Wolf - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Kight - McGrattan

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Smid - Stone

* Baertschi for Stone + 3rd
* Once Glencross, Stajan and Jones get injured

Bennett - Backlund - Hudler
Wolf - Monahan - Colborne
Granlund - Knight - Reinhart
Bouma - Arnold - McGattan

I love Stone but not worth giving up Baerschi. I don't think Bennett is ready for 1st line dutiea

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
People are saying he's the most NHL ready prospect in the draft

I haven't heard that at all. I've heard that Ekblad and maybe Draisaitl and Reinhart are NHL-ready, but there seems to be a prevailing assumption that the rest will be going back to junior (though there are always one or two surprises).

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I love Stone but not worth giving up Baerschi. I don't think Bennett is ready for 1st line dutiea

I don't think Granlund - Knight - Reinhart would fair very well either but it's injury call up slots. You don't have to kid yourself, thinking the Coyotes will just give up Stone for scraps. He's 6'3, 200 pounds, RD, with 21 points in 70 games at 23, on the Coyotes. They have the exact same situation on defence that we have on LW. Realistically, I think we'd be lucky to get the + right now. Stone's value is less than Brodie's but Sven doesn't come close to returning a Brodie at this point IMO.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I haven't heard that at all. I've heard that Ekblad and maybe Draisaitl and Reinhart are NHL-ready, but there seems to be a prevailing assumption that the rest will be going back to junior (though there are always one or two surprises).

It's so hard to say at that age! Hell, he could roll into camp at 6'2 and 200 pounds! It'd be really hard for any of the bottom 4 teams to say a 6'2, 200 pound Sam Bennett wasn't ready for the NHL lol!

Last edited:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Isn't Bennett around 180? It's not only the size factor, just to mature as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad