The Troops are Coming

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Girgensons is the better one IMO, he's a Bergeron mold of player and can play wing but is best suited in the middle. I think the Sabres take Reinhart, don't forget they have Zadorov to. They have lots of good forward prospects but none the caliber of Reinhart. The friggin' Oilers will probably take Ekblad then I have to learn to hate him to along with Nurse.

Girgensons will definitely be comparable to Bergeron but he won't be nearly as good. I'm not going to hate Ekblad if he gets drafted by Edmonton, he's a great defenseman.

Trae

Calgary
Side note, if Iginla comes back hr won't be wearing the C. Its Giordano's now.

I agreed at first, but the reason I had Iginla with the 'C' because I almost feel like Giordano is the type of character guy who would just give it back without hesitation out of respect. I'd be 50/50 on it.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I agreed at first, but the reason I had Iginla with the 'C' because I almost feel like Giordano is the type of character guy who would just give it back without hesitation out of respect. I'd be 50/50 on it.

It's Giordano's room now, it wouldn't be right for the team. Iginla could still lead in his own way.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's kind of weird to see so many people think that the Sabres, or whoever picks first, will draft based on current need as opposed to simply getting the best player available, as every single GM, scout and professional states repeatedly is the established practice.

This draft is eerily similar to last years albeit with much less hyped prospects. At the beginning of last year, MacKinnon was widely considered to be the top choice. By mid-year, Jones became the favourite, with Drouin having a meteoric rise. All of which lasted right until the Avs announced they were taking MacKinnon. Reinhart, Ekblad and Bennett seems to be following a very similar story.

Trae

Calgary
It's kind of weird to see so many people think that the Sabres, or whoever picks first, will draft based on current need as opposed to simply getting the best player available, as every single GM, scout and professional states repeatedly is the established practice.

This draft is eerily similar to last years albeit with much less hyped prospects. At the beginning of last year, MacKinnon was widely considered to be the top choice. By mid-year, Jones became the favourite, with Drouin having a meteoric rise. All of which lasted right until the Avs announced they were taking MacKinnon. Reinhart, Ekblad and Bennett seems to be following a very similar story.

Happens every year, Reinhart is going first, no doubt.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Girgensons will definitely be comparable to Bergeron but he won't be nearly as good. I'm not going to hate Ekblad if he gets drafted by Edmonton, he's a great defenseman.

I kind of disagree, at least to an extent. When you say not nearly as good, how do you view Bergeron? He's a 60-65pt top 6 center. He's an elite defensive center, and the top FO man in the league.

I view Girgenson's ceiling to be around a 50-65pt top 6 center, that is excellent defensively. Whether or not he becomes elite defensively and a top FO man is yet to be determined.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I am jealous of Buffalos future core. I am especially jealous of their future top d pairining of Ristolainien and Zadorov. Unreal, is all i have to say.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I am jealous of Buffalos future core. I am especially jealous of their future top d pairining of Ristolainien and Zadorov. Unreal, is all i have to say.

I bet Edmonton thought the same thing when they had all these high end players.

I don't think I put much thought into 'future' cores until then perform at the NHL level for a few years.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I wouldn't mind something like this next season, but some aspects consists of us winning the lotto and Boston winning a cup and ultimately unrealistic haha :sarcasm:

Will be easier to make roster wishlists when the trade deadline and draft lotto are done:

Baertschi - Monahan - Iginla (C)
Backlund (A) - S. Reinhart - Hudler
Glencross - M. Reinhart - Granlund
Bouma - Stajan - Colbourne

McGrattan

Giordano (A) - Russell
Brodie - Wideman
Smid - Gilbert

Breen

Ramo
Ortio

Gone: Cammalleri, Stempniak, Jones, Galiardi, Westgarth, Byron, MacDermid, B. Jones, Butler, Smith, O'Brien, Berra, MacDonald

As for AHL, something along the lines of:

Street - Knight - Ferland
Gaudreau - Arnold - Poirier
Jooris - Agostino - Hanowski
Bancks - Gordon - Olsen

Wotherspoon - Billins
Seiloff - Ramage
Kulak - Cundari

Gillies
Roy

Obviously would love to target Girardi or Callahan but I don't think its happening for us. Also, I didn't make trade scenarios so the roster is missing potential roster players coming back in trades.

I love it. That's a pretty exciting 2014/15 season for the Flames and Heat.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Players Traded: Cammy, Stempniak, Butler, and Galiardi
Players Signed: Statsny, Setoguchi, Quincey

Calgary Flames

Hudler - Statsny - Setoguchi
Backlund - Stajan - Colborne
Glencross - Monahan - Jones
Bouma - Street - McGrattan

Giordano - Russell
Brodie - Wideman
Smid - Quincey

Abbotsford Heat
Gaudrea - Reinhart - Knight
Granlund - Agostino - Poirer
Hanowski – Arnold - Ferland
Byron – Gordon – Jooris

Wotherspoon – Seiloff
Ramage – Billins
Culkin – Kulak

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Not sure if the Flames will make some moves this deadline. Here's a blog that, while mostly irrelevant opinion, outlines the notion that the Flames will push for the playoffs this season.

The Calgary Flames have hired a certain group of personnel who will not accept anything but a players best effort, and as such, will not accept any excuse or reason for losing. As I’ve made reference to several times throughout my blogs, Bob Hartley is one such man who holds the above notion very close to his heart. At no point in time will he allow his team to accept that they are rebuilding and that losing is to be expected under such circumstances.

It simply won’t happen folks; and for those who are in favor of tanking in order to draft high are going to be disappointed.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Exactly why I love Hartley. I've said this before, this is probably the best coach we have had in a very long time. For sure since Darryl and I feel since Page.

Last edited:

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Players Traded: Cammy, Stempniak, Butler, and Galiardi
Players Signed: Statsny, Setoguchi, Quincey

Calgary Flames

Hudler - Statsny - Setoguchi
Backlund - Stajan - Colborne
Glencross - Monahan - Jones
Bouma - Street - McGrattan

Giordano - Russell
Brodie - Wideman
Smid - Quincey

Abbotsford Heat
Gaudrea - Reinhart - Knight
Granlund - Agostino - Poirer
Hanowski – Arnold - Ferland
Byron – Gordon – Jooris

Wotherspoon – Seiloff
Ramage – Billins
Culkin – Kulak

Looks good, but where's Sven?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Exactly why I love Hartley. I've said this before, this is probably the best coach we have had in a very long time. For since Darryl and I feel since Page.

I have been on the Hartley bandwagon since the beginning and will continue to do until whenever he leaves.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows

That's why I'm not getting too wrapped up in where the Flames finnish. Seems to me that nobody really knows who the best player is among the top 4. And still lots of hockey left in the CHL. Things can still change. MacKinnon didn't pass Jones until last years Memorial Cup IMO. I could see one of the top 15 having a long playoff run and being a big riser. Hopefully it's Virtanen.

Ekblad and Draisaitl fill the Flames needs best IMO.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I am extremely jealous for exactly this reason. Those are two of my absolute favorite prospects in all of hockey right now and Buffalo looks stacked on D going forward.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

It looks good now but I won't be jealous until they pan out. Remember how good Myers was going to be, and yet he has been terrible the last 2 years. Like I said I won't be jealous until they can actually turn these prospects into something.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So after seeing some of the callups, here is what I think we could likely see as our lineup next season.

FORWARDS:

Hudler (UFA) = 4.0 - Backlund = 1.5 - Cammalleri = 5.5

Baertschi = 894k - Monahan = 925k - Colborne (UFA) = 600k

Glencross = 2.55 - Stajan = 3.125 - Jones = 4.0

Bouma = 577k - Reinhart = 618k - Galiardi = 1.25

Granlund = 767k McGrattan = 750k

DEFENCEMAN

Wideman = 5.25 - Giordano = 4.02

Franson = 3.5 - Brodie = 2.125

Smid = 3.5 - Russell = 2.6

Wotherspoon = 925k

GOALIES:

Ramo = 2.75

Ortio (UFA) = 617k

I think Burke makes a deal and trades for Franson in the offseason. Maybe he also throws some money at a guy like Downie? I also have Cammy resigned at 5.5 million.

That lineup has a cap of 52.34 million. Thoughts??

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So after seeing some of the callups, here is what I think we could likely see as our lineup next season.

FORWARDS:

Hudler (UFA) = 4.0 - Backlund = 1.5 - Cammalleri = 5.5

Baertschi = 894k - Monahan = 925k - Colborne (UFA) = 600k

Glencross = 2.55 - Stajan = 3.125 - Jones = 4.0

Bouma = 577k - Reinhart = 618k - Galiardi = 1.25

Granlund = 767k McGratton = 750k

DEFENCEMAN

Wideman = 5.25 - Giordano = 4.02

Franson = 3.5 - Brodie = 2.125

Smid = 3.5 - Russell = 2.6

Wotherspoon = 925k

GOALIES:

Ramo = 2.75

Ortio (UFA) = 617k

I think Burke makes a deal and trades for Franson in the offseason. Maybe he also throws some money at a guy like Downie? I also have Cammy resigned at 5.5 million.

That lineup has a cap of 52.34 million. Thoughts??

McGrattan*!

I don't think there's any chance we keep Granlund or Wotherspoon in the press box. They should be playing either here or in Abbotsford. It's more likely that we have guys like Derek Smith and Blair Jones occupy those spots IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
McGrattan*!

I don't think there's any chance we keep Granlund or Wotherspoon in the press box. They should be playing either here or in Abbotsford. It's more likely that we have guys like Derek Smith and Blair Jones occupy those spots IMO.

Oops, fixed.

I want them in the lineup to, but we would need to move out more vets like Hudler and Galliardi or even Glencross. Only problem with that is, we need their salaries. Perhaps, and I think it is very likely, we see Hudler dealt in the offseason at the draft, or Cammy let walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad