The Troops are Coming

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So after seeing some of the callups, here is what I think we could likely see as our lineup next season.

FORWARDS:

Hudler (UFA) = 4.0 - Backlund = 1.5 - Cammalleri = 5.5

Baertschi = 894k - Monahan = 925k - Colborne (UFA) = 600k

Glencross = 2.55 - Stajan = 3.125 - Jones = 4.0

Bouma = 577k - Reinhart = 618k - Galiardi = 1.25

Granlund = 767k McGrattan = 750k

DEFENCEMAN

Wideman = 5.25 - Giordano = 4.02

Franson = 3.5 - Brodie = 2.125

Smid = 3.5 - Russell = 2.6

Wotherspoon = 925k

GOALIES:

Ramo = 2.75

Ortio (UFA) = 617k

I think Burke makes a deal and trades for Franson in the offseason. Maybe he also throws some money at a guy like Downie? I also have Cammy resigned at 5.5 million.

That lineup has a cap of 52.34 million. Thoughts??

A part of me thinks we don't have room for Jones if he's not producing.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
So after seeing some of the callups, here is what I think we could likely see as our lineup next season.

FORWARDS:

Hudler (UFA) = 4.0 - Backlund = 1.5 - Cammalleri = 5.5

Baertschi = 894k - Monahan = 925k - Colborne (UFA) = 600k

Glencross = 2.55 - Stajan = 3.125 - Jones = 4.0

Bouma = 577k - Reinhart = 618k - Galiardi = 1.25

Granlund = 767k McGrattan = 750k

DEFENCEMAN

Wideman = 5.25 - Giordano = 4.02

Franson = 3.5 - Brodie = 2.125

Smid = 3.5 - Russell = 2.6

Wotherspoon = 925k

GOALIES:

Ramo = 2.75

Ortio (UFA) = 617k

I think Burke makes a deal and trades for Franson in the offseason. Maybe he also throws some money at a guy like Downie? I also have Cammy resigned at 5.5 million.

That lineup has a cap of 52.34 million. Thoughts??

If we signed Franson for that (3.5) we'd have to give the Leafs a 1st and 3rd becasue he's a RFA
EDIT: didn't see traded instead of signed

What I'd like to see
Baertschi (849k)-Monahan (925k)-Hudler (4)
Glencross (A) (2.55)-Backlund (1.5)-Jones (4)
Bouma (557k)-Draisaitl (925k)-Colborne (1.5)
Reinhart (618k)/Granlund (767k)-Stajan (A) (3.125)-Galiardi (2)
McGrattan (750k) Westgarth (600k)

Giordano (C) (4.02)-Brodie (2.125)
Franson (4.5)-Russell (2.6)
Smid (3.5)-Wideman (5.25)
SOB (2)

Ramo (2.75)
Ortio (1.5)

I like the idea of hetting Franson especially because Burke LOVES Franson. Just loves him. If Iggy wins the cup then I'd bring him back. I was also between on picking up Bourque or Gaustad as banker. SOB is up to make floor (which I did)

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
If we signed Franson for that (3.5) we'd have to give the Leafs a 1st and 3rd becasue he's a RFA
EDIT: didn't see traded instead of signed

What I'd like to see
Baertschi (849k)-Monahan (925k)-Hudler (4)
Glencross (A) (2.55)-Backlund (1.5)-Jones (4)
Bouma (557k)-Draisaitl (925k)-Colborne (1.5)
Reinhart (618k)/Granlund (767k)-Stajan (A) (3.125)-Galiardi (2)

Giordano (C) (4.02)-Brodie (2.125)
Franson (4.5)-Russell (2.6)
Smid (3.5)-Wideman (5.25)
SOB (2)

Ramo (2.75)
Ortio (1.5)

I like the idea of hetting Franson especially because Burke LOVES Franson. Just loves him. If Iggy wins the cup then I'd bring him back. I was also between on picking up Bourque or Gaustad as banker. SOB is up to make floor (which I did)

I don`t even think we hit the cap floor with that team.

Sven will not play 1st line next season with Burke here. He still wouldn`t play first line anyways.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I don`t even think we hit the cap floor with that team.

Sven will not play 1st line next season with Burke here. He still wouldn`t play first line anyways.

I calculated. It would make the floor of 52mil. And the Sven line would be 2nd or 3rd looking at it. They had good chemistry when he was up/ If not then I'd like a line of Baertschi-Monahan-Colborne

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Can't say for sure, but it was rumoured to be around 52 million at a 70-72 million ceiling. So I'm guessing probably somewhere between 45-48 million. Not a huge change, but it's a top 6 or a top 4 dman we need to add to our roster.

Franson or Dowine (top 9) or Iggy of he wins the cup. Or a Bourque or Gaustad plus pick

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
2014/2014 FLAMES

RED = New Player
BLUE = Played In Abby Last Year

FORWARDS
Baertschi (849k) - Monahan (925k) - Hudler (4)
Bouma (557k) - Backlund (1.5) - Downie (3)
Glencross (A) (2.55) - Draisaitl (925k) -Colborne (1.5)
Galiardi (1.5)- Stajan (A) (3.125) - Jones (4)

DEFENSE
Giordano (C) (4.02) - Brodie (2.125)
Franson (4.5) - Russell (2.6)
Smid (3.5) - Wideman (5.25)
SOB (2)

GOALIES
Ramo (2.75)
Khudobin (2)

CAP: 54,526,000 (over floor)

FORWARDS
I like Downie at only 27. Big forward that Burkie will like. And hopfully Benning (please make him GM). Call up Sven and draft Draisaitl. If Draisaitl is off the board then Dal Colle is there (assuming Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad are gone).

DEFENSE
Burke loves Franson, he'd be a good fit. If we cant't trade for him then Niskanen will do fine (FA). SOB is there just for his cap. And we don't want young guys sitting in the press box.

GOALIES
Ortio has done well but he shouldn't be a backup. Call him up with injury and have him start. Also if he's lighting up the AHL again then start him and Rano or Khudobin backup, trade one of the two

ABBOTSFORD HEAT

BLUE = Player From Junior/College

FORWARDS
Gaudreau - Arnold - Poirier
Byron - Granlund - Reinhart
Ferland - Knight - Hanowski
Agostino - Jooris - B.Jones

DEFENSE
Wotherspoon - Billins
Breen - Sieloff
Ramage - Kulak/Culkin

GOALIES
Ortio
Roy

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Why would this change your opinion of him? We know he dives a lot by watching him play, and it's not a point in favour of wanting him here.

And the logic regarding PP opportunity is broken. It essentially assumes that the Flames' powerplay would be just as efficient regardless of what players are on it. It's backward logic, though, because the players' production generates the PP%, not the other way around. Based on what we've seen from him in the offensive end, I wouldn't put him on the PP either, no more than Hartley. Galiardi is best at generating offence on the counter attack, not from working the puck around the zone.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Why would this change your opinion of him? We know he dives a lot by watching him play, and it's not a point in favour of wanting him here.

And the logic regarding PP opportunity is broken. It essentially assumes that the Flames' powerplay would be just as efficient regardless of what players are on it. It's backward logic, though, because the players' production generates the PP%, not the other way around. Based on what we've seen from him in the offensive end, I wouldn't put him on the PP either, no more than Hartley. Galiardi is best at generating offence on the counter attack, not from working the puck around the zone.

It depends to me if we get an offer for him I'd probabky take it. He'd get between 1 and 2 million. 1.5+ is a 2nd round compensation, 1.5-1.1 is 3rd. I don't think a team would give up that for Gally. But I would re-sign him and not let him be a UFA. For a few reasons

1) He's young a lot of fans are talking about how much they love seeing Backlund develop as a young player. Galiardi is 25, Backs is 24. He has a few years to develop more.

2) Not long enough sample size He did change teams and is ajusting to systems still but as the article mentioned he hasn't played on the PP at all. He was playing on the PP with SJ. Hispoint preduction would increase if he played there. He did well with the Sharks. It also could just be an off year.

3) He's had more defensive starts He's been askedto play a more gritty, defensive style. On SJ a team with lots of scoring Galiardi had more offensive starts than he does now with CGY. More defensive starts

4) Players he's played with this year is much worse than SJ Top 5 players he was with SJ, Pavelski, Burns, Thorton, Boyle, Stuart. CGY is Colborne, Stajan, Backlund, Brodie, Wideman. When CGY's competing he would step up easily with injuries or slumps. He doesn't look out of place with top players. With Monahan or McDavid :naughty: or Jankowski he'd be back at his pace.

5) He's played vs harder competition Gally has had to face the opponents team's top 6 the vast majority of time. He's playing vs top players where as Hudler, Colborne, Monahan etc are playing against joe blow called up from the Chicoutimi Baguetts.

6) He plays a gritty game We need that tupe of play. He hits, blocks shots, wins the little battles and he's one of our best PKers

A few other tnoughts. He leads the league in penalty differantial and the Flames in shot differential. He might be our fastest player in Byron isn't in.

This was outside of that article. A lot more to the article then the PP time. That was one paragraph out of maybe 8

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

You took the words right out of my mouth. No power play time is a pretty lousy excuse when the power play line-up is almost always made up of the most productive players at that time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad