The Troops are Coming

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I thought I would start this thread now seeing as the trade deadline is fast approaching, and the Flames offseason isn't all that far off either. We have so many guys, particularly forwards in our system that are close to being or even NHL ready now. There will definitely be bodies moved out, whether or not that would be at this year's TDL or the offseason is still unknown.

Below is a list of all our players on the active roster and Heat along with their salaries (as per Capgeek). Guys like Sven, Reinhart, Knight, Granlund, Hanowski, Ferland, Wotherspoon and Ortio are all knocking on the door and could all see time before the season is over.

So who makes the cut long term? What players get moved and for who? Who are the likely targets UFA's to be signed this offseason? I think a couple of our prospects that are labelled with bottom 6 upside may get moved for an upgrade to reduce the logjam. Please list your targets, who would you move for them, and include salaries. The salary cap for next season is estimated to be around 71 million, with a floor of approximately 52 million.

FORWARDS:

Cammalleri (UFA) = 6.0 - Stajan = 3.125 - D. Jones = 4.0

Hudler = 4.0 - Backlund = 1.5 - Stempniak (UFA) = 2.5

Glencross = 2.55 - Monahan = 925k - McGratton = 750k

Bouma = 577k - Colborne = 600k - Galiardi = 1.25

Byron = 643k

DEFENCEMAN

Wideman = 5.25 - Giordano = 4.02

Smid = 3.5 - Brodie = 2.125

Butler (UFA) = 1.7 - Russell = 2.6

GOALIES:

Ramo = 2.75

Berra (UFA) = 850k

PROSPECTS:

Baertschi - 894k
Billins (RFA) - 925k
Breen (UFA) - 577k
Cundari (RFA) - 600k
Ferland - 612k
Granlund - 767k
Hanowski (RFA) - 900k
B. Jones - 650k
Kanzig - 692k
Klimchuck - 925k
Knight - 900k
MacDermid (RFA) - 660k
Ortio (RFA) - 617k
Poirier - 925k
Ramage - 690k
Reinhart - 618k
Siefloff - 925k
Smith (UFA) - 775k
Street (UFA) - 575k
Wotherspoon - 925k

Other noteables likely to be signed in the offseason:

Agostino
Arnold
Gaudreau
Gillies

Also, if I have missed anything please let me know and I will adjust it in the OP.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Cammy, Stempniak and Butler would be my trades.

Cammy for a 1st+ depending on where the first is. Stempniak for a 2nd. Butler for a 4th. Pretty simple.

Opens up two forward roster spots and one on D.

fallsviewafro*

Cammy for a first or we re-sign + he stays I hope. He's much better than this season's showing, and his return right at this moment probably wouldn't be great. I'd rather keep him if he won't get a decent return.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Trade Galiardi, Cammy, Stempniak and Wideman.

Opens up FWD positions for Byron, Granlund, Sven or Street.

Id keep Butler over Wideman.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Id keep Butler over Wideman.

michael-scott-no.gif

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Here's what I'd like to see next season:

Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Baertschi - Monahan - Colborne
Reinhart - Backlund - Jones
Bouma - Street - Knight
McGrattan

Giordano - Russel
Brodie - Smid
Ramage - Billins

That means I would trade Cammy, Stempniak, Butler, Street, and Garliardi. I doubt it happens because chances are there will be a two enforcer on the Flames starting line-ups. I also left Wideman out in the event we can trade him too in order to fill a desperate area in the off season.

I know it makes the team that much younger, but it leaves room in Abby for players to have a job, and also gives us options to sign a free agents.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Trade Stempniak, Cammalleri, Butler, Galiardi, Colborne and Byron. Street and B.Jones should either be let go or re-signed to AHL deals.

Guys like Reinhart, Knight, Granlund and Baertschi are knocking on the door. Then, there's Arnold, Gaudreau, Poirier, Hanowski, Agostino and Wotherspoon, one of more of who might surprise and steal a spot. And there's always a chance that whoever the Flames pick in the first round forces their way onto the roster as well.

Plus, it has to be expected Burke or whoever the new GM is will be somewhat active in the free agent market or acquire players through trade. It doesn't make sense to bring back most of a 27th place team - a healthy level of turnover is absolutely necessary.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Here's what I'd like to see next season:

Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Baertschi - Monahan - Colborne
Reinhart - Backlund - Jones
Bouma - Street - Knight
McGrattan

Giordano - Russel
Brodie - Smid
Ramage - Billins

That means I would trade Cammy, Stempniak, Butler, Street, and Garliardi. I doubt it happens because chances are there will be a two enforcer on the Flames starting line-ups. I also left Wideman out in the event we can trade him too in order to fill a desperate area in the off season.

I know it makes the team that much younger, but it leaves room in Abby for players to have a job, and also gives us options to sign a free agents.

Now thats a last place team if I ever saw one.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
TRADES

To Anahiem-Dennis Wideman
To Calgary-Devante Smith-Pelly, 2nd Round pick

To Phoenix-Jiri Hudler
To Calgary-Brandon Gormley, 2nd Round pick

To Pittsburg-Lee Stempniak
To Calgary-2nd Round pick

To Nashville-Paul Byron, Ben Hanowski
To Calgary-Mattias Ekholm, 3rd round pick

To Columbus-T.J. Galiardi
To Calgary-3rd Round pick

To Washington-Chris Butler
To Calgary-4th Round pick

My big FA signing would be to resign Cammy to a 2-year 5.5 million dollar deal.

Lineup for next is as follows:

Baertschi(894k) - Backlund(1.5) - Cammy(5.5)
Colborne(1.0) -Monahan(925k) - DSP(720k)
Glencross(2.5) - Stajan(3.125) - Jones(4.0)
Bouma(600k) - Knight (900K) - McGrattan(750k)
Reinhart

Gio(4.02) - Brodie(2.125)
Russell(2.6) - Ekholm(900k)
Smid(3.5) - Gormley(810k)
Wotherspoon/Seiloff

Ramo(850k)
Berra/Ortio

Those would be my moves, however that only gives us about 40 million in payroll. If the floor rises to 52 million, we would need to add to some significant salary somewhere. I would also try and package up 2 of acquired 2nd round picks and try and move into the 1st round with them.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I would like to see at minimum three of these assets moved by the time next season begins.

In order of priority/preference (estimated value's)
1. Mike Cammalleri (2nd round pick + B level prospect or a late 1st)
2. Lee Stempniak ( 2nd/3rd round pick or a prospect of equivalent value)
3. Dennis Wideman ( A somewhat established NHL player under the age of 25 i,e Luca Sbisa for example plus additional assets for whatever salary is retained or taken on by Calgary )
4. Curtis Glencross ( A trade centered around a high end defensive prospect..for example Brandon Gormley or Simon Despres+ )
5. Jiri Hudler ( 1st round pick + 3rd round pick )

May 27, 2012
Earth
TRADES

To Phoenix-Jiri Hudler

Reinhart

Wotherspoon/Seiloff

Ramo(850k)
Berra/Ortio

Those would be my moves, however that only gives us about 40 million in payroll. If the floor rises to 52 million, we would need to add to some significant salary somewhere. I would also try and package up 2 of acquired 2nd round picks and try and move into the 1st round with them.

Horrible. We are not going to ice that Lineup. Baerstchi will not be on the top line next season. 2nd line is abysmal. We can't trade everyone, we should keep Hudler because I doubt phoenix does it anyways. Icing this team won't help our porospects and players with their development if they are getting dumped on every night.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Horrible. We are not going to ice that Lineup. Baerstchi will not be on the top line next season. 2nd line is abysmal. We can't trade everyone, we should keep Hudler because I doubt phoenix does it anyways. Icing this team won't help our porospects and players with their development if they are getting dumped on every night.

Backlund, Glencross, Stajan, Cammy, Jones, Gio, Smid, Russell and Brodie would all be considered vets and are all key parts of our current leadership group. There is plenty of vets in my lineup and lots of opportunity for youth like many want. Also, I have no idea what line combos Hartley would use either.

Adding DSP (who has excellent size, hits and can score), Gormley who has top pairing potential, and Ekholm who has shown to be a very good, young top 4 defender would all be excellent additions IMO.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Backlund, Glencross, Stajan, Cammy, Jones, Gio, Smid, Russell and Brodie would all be considered vets and are all key parts of our current leadership group. There is plenty of vets in my lineup and lots of opportunity for youth like many want. Also, I have no idea what line combos Hartley would use either.

Adding DSP (who has excellent size, hits and can score), Gormley who has top pairing potential, and Ekholm who has shown to be a very good, young top 4 defender would all be excellent additions IMO.

Still bad. Hudler won't land us Gormely. The Yotes could easily fetch someone much better. Hanowski and Byron won't get us Ekholm, ducks won't do it because of Wideman's contract. The other three trades I can see happening, but with the other three I mentioned are ridiculous. They GM's would have to be drunk to do them.

No offense, but you are overvaluing our players. Take your homer hat off for a bit.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
With Hudler and Wideman having large continuing cap hits, they are rental type trades that occur at the deadline.

The teams that get them can't/don't want to fit their cap hits into their lineups going forward.

Unless, of course, Calgary keeps a bunch of their salary/cap hits.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I suspect the Flames might try to retain cap on a few of the trades, especially if they move guys like Wideman and Hudler, in order to A) increase the value of the player to get more in return, and B) reach the cap floor next season.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Trade Backlund for a 2015 first from a bubble team and then throw noodles at Stastny in the offseason to make it to the cap floor.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I thought it was fine. We're in a rebuild and unfortunately we have pending free agent vets. We simply can't lose them for nothing, especially when we're looking to stack the deck with our farm system and hopefully develop a few key players over time. Its the cycle of hockey my friend.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If we had an all-star line-up, we wouldn't need to rebuild, now would we? Maybe its time to put your glasses on ;)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
TRADES

To Phoenix-Jiri Hudler

Reinhart

Wotherspoon/Seiloff

Ramo(850k)
Berra/Ortio

Yeah why not. Except that 40 million is a problem. Who knows, maybe we throw 13million at Statsny and Miller and just get past the floor.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Still bad. Hudler won't land us Gormely. The Yotes could easily fetch someone much better. Hanowski and Byron won't get us Ekholm, ducks won't do it because of Wideman's contract. The other three trades I can see happening, but with the other three I mentioned are ridiculous. They GM's would have to be drunk to do them.

No offense, but you are overvaluing our players. Take your homer hat off for a bit.

I don't think I am, honestly. I also feel I took other team needs into account.

For example, have you seen the Ducks defence this year? They have had a ton of injuries and I think they would welcome a guy like Wideman. His cap hit won't be a huge issue at the TDL, also the cap is probably going up about 8 million next year so they will be able to fit him in quite easily. Anaheim has quite a few very good young forwards, I think DSP is expendable for a quality, #3 dman such as Wideman.

The Yotes could really someone that has some offensive creativity and someone that is a skilled player. They would not part with Gormley for Cammy being that he's an expiring UFA, but I think they would move Gormley quite easily for Hudler given their wealth of young defensive talent is ridiculous.

The Preds are also in need of offensive talent and seemingly always draft very good young talent. I was thinking of putting down Ellis in that proposal, which may be more realistic, but I think Ekholm has very similar upside and has similar value, he also fits our needs better.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Trade Cammy, Butler, Stempniak. Sign the bolded.

Billins (RFA) - 925k
Breen (UFA) - 577k
Cundari (RFA) - 600k
Hanowski (RFA) - 900k
MacDermid (RFA) - 660k
Ortio (RFA) - 617k
Smith (UFA) - 775k
Street (UFA) - 575k

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Trade Cammy, Butler, Stempniak. Sign the bolded.

Billins (RFA) - 925k
Breen (UFA) - 577k
Cundari (RFA) - 600k
Hanowski (RFA) - 900k
MacDermid (RFA) - 660k
Ortio (RFA) - 617k
Smith (UFA) - 775k
Street (UFA) - 575k

Maybe add Cundari to the list, depending on if he plays well for the Wolves.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I don't think I am, honestly. I also feel I took other team needs into account.

For example, have you seen the Ducks defence this year? They have had a ton of injuries and I think they would welcome a guy like Wideman. His cap hit won't be a huge issue at the TDL, also the cap is probably going up about 8 million next year so they will be able to fit him in quite easily. Anaheim has quite a few very good young forwards, I think DSP is expendable for a quality, #3 dman such as Wideman.

The Yotes could really someone that has some offensive creativity and someone that is a skilled player. They would not part with Gormley for Cammy being that he's an expiring UFA, but I think they would move Gormley quite easily for Hudler given their wealth of young defensive talent is ridiculous.

The Preds are also in need of offensive talent and seemingly always draft very good young talent. I was thinking of putting down Ellis in that proposal, which may be more realistic, but I think Ekholm has very similar upside and has similar value, he also fits our needs better.

Ok I agree to an extent. I normally don't call people out, I blame the two T3's I am taking every 4 hours, I just took some 20 mins ago and can feel them kicking in now. I have taken 13 the last two days. At least you have good intentions, for the betterment of the team.I hate the feeling of the T3's so they are making me out of character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad