GDT: The Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10...e-with-bruins/?p1=Article_Inline_Related_Link

When Zdeno Chara left Boston last year after 14 years as a pillar in the organization, it was an easy decision for coach Bruce Cassidy to turn to Patrice Bergeron to lead the locker room as captain.
As the Bruins prepare to start the season next week, they have another leadership void to fill after losing David Krejci in the offseason.
Cassidy plans on rotating the “A” patch that Krejci left behind. On Wednesday, David Pastrnak wore it on his chest in the Bruins preseason loss to the Capitals.
“It was obviously an honor,” Pastrnak said. “It just kind of reminds you how long you’ve been here. I’m going to become one of the leaders, getting older and older year by year, so just trying to learn. And being around one of the best leaders in hockey, so I had really good guys to learn from and I’ll continue with that.”

“I definitely don’t change, trust me,” he said. “There’s a reason I got to the NHL, there’s a reason I came here, so just trying to be myself.”
Cassidy said Pastrnak leads with his play, but his maturation over the years along with a growing comfort level have allowed him to take on that role in the locker room.
“He’s always talked,” Cassidy said. “He’s a very gregarious kid, full of personality. So that’s not an issue either. But just trying to pick the guys up and keep the room alive, I think, is definitely some of his traits.”
For Cassidy, rotating the second alternate captain is an acknowledgment of a new wave of leaders emerging in the Bruins locker room, including Pastrnak, Charlie McAvoy, and Brandon Carlo.

“Those are three younger guys that have now been here for a while. I can’t predict where they’re going to be, but let’s assume that contract-wise and all those things that they’re here, they’re the next probably wave of the leaders and the core group of this team. They’re already kind of pushing their way into that core group if they’re not already in it. I would say they are but they’re the younger core, let’s put it that way, and the old core was more Bergy and [Brad Marchand] .
“So to ask them to lead a little bit now, I think, will help them down the road. There’s a pretty good chance, I want to speculate, they might be a captain in the Bruins down the road. At the end of the day, those are guys that we’re going to rely on down the road.”
The title carries weight in the locker room, and Cassidy said several players are worthy.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Very surprised Sweeney waived Moore (and to a lesser extent Wags). I think this also means Kuhlman is staying, otherwise he'd also be on waivers, right?

They had to waive 1 veteran guy just to get down to a 23 man roster. Waiving 2 (Moore & Wagner) frees up 1 roster spot for a kid.

Are they going to stick with 8 defensemen and keep Lyle, or go with two spare forwards and keep Studnicka? (Or send them both down and go with a 22 man roster to maximize cap space?)

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Gotta say, I like what I've seen from Lyle, and I think he's a better fit for the role they're asking out of that 3rd pair RD. He's got the size to offset Gryz but he's also got the puck moving chops to offset Forbort. He fits with both.

Whereas Clifton seems to be a good fit for Forbort, but Gryz-Clifton is an undersized and, IMO, out of sync pairing. There seems to be a lot of "I got it. Ok you take it. Well, now we're both out of position," with those two.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Feel bad for Wags, great team guy. Enjoyed his time here. Was hoping for a bounce back opportunity. Get ready for Kuhlman to 'almost score' about 25 times this year on his way to five goals on the season.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Gotta say, I like what I've seen from Lyle, and I think he's a better fit for the role they're asking out of that 3rd pair RD. He's got the size to offset Gryz but he's also got the puck moving chops to offset Forbort. He fits with both.

Whereas Clifton seems to be a good fit for Forbort, but Gryz-Clifton is an undersized and, IMO, out of sync pairing. There seems to be a lot of "I got it. Ok you take it. Well, now we're both out of position," with those two.

It's a really interesting point. Cassidy mostly kept Gryz and Clifton apart last season, although whether that was intentional or more circumstantial I couldn't say. Either way, they spent just 35 minutes together 5v5. And statistically at least those were 35 awful minutes - 41% CF, 41% SF, 22% SCF, and not a single goal scored while they were on the ice together. Not a massive sample size, but you can see why!

It gets even more intriguing when you throw Mike Reilly in the mix. Of course Reilly is bigger than Gryz, but he's not massive and they both play a fairly similar style. Clifton and Reilly spent 99 mins together and it was dynamite - 64% CF, 65% SF, 71% SCF, all leading to 9 goals for and just 2 against. It's frankly astonishing, at least to me, how different those numbers are. And it just reinforces that it's not a Clifton issue, it's just that he and Gryz simply don't gel.

Which as you allude to doesn't bode well for the idea of switching between 1st and 3rd pair if Clifton is his RD on the latter. So what to do with it? I've really liked what I've seen of Lyle but he's still raw and to me Clifton is easily a better, more complete and experienced player right now. I'm pretty sure Lyle has the higher ceiling but he's going to take time to get there. Against that I agree that he may well already do better with Gryz than Clifton, and getting your pairings right is really important for effective defense. So I genuinely don't know which way they should go. I suspect injuries will quickly make it a largely redundant question anyway, and the best 6 will simply be whoever's fit at the time. It's still an intriguing issue though.

Reactions: PlayMakers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad