Proposal: The "Trade _______ Right ******* NOW" Thread

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Just to provoke discussion, why do you think that?

Also: :help:

Because it's what Holland does. Especially in this case since Quincey got away and Holland thinks it was a mistake. So how will he correct the mistake? 1st rounder + 4 years at a salary that Quincey's dictates. It'll be torture.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
Yeah if Nino wants out of NYI because of lack of NHL playing time I'm sure Detroit would be on the bottom of his preferable destinations.

On another note; seeing as Steve downie is out for the season does anyone think Colorado would be more inclined to trade him? I think he could bring a lot to this is team and really toughen up our top six.
How about,
Tartar + a 2nd for downie? Too much, too little?

I love Downie's game -- very rugged but still skillful. I would start with Tartar straight up and see what the Avs say in reply.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Although I know it will never happen, Bob McKenzie on tsn said that its leaning more likely that the Canadiens are gonna trade PK Subban. I love the guy and would definitely overpay to get him, he's a right hand shot to and I bet Babcock would love him.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414354

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Ken Holland likes where they are at. They have a lot of key veterns, that once healthy, can make a run for the Stanley Cup

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Holland does not make trades that involve roster players. It simply doesn't happen. Then you throw in the unknown as far as what it would cost Holland to sign Subban to a new contract. Holland prefers guys like Sammy and Bert and Cleary who will accept your initial offer. He doesn't like dealing with guys like Quincey and Ericsson who drive a hard bargain to get more money. Subban isn't likely to take a major discount for the honor of playing in the Winged Wheel. Heck, he's obviously not overwhelmed by playing for Les Habs.

So yeah, Holland doesn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole. You know who needs defense? Philly. I'd expect them to get a deal done if Subban ends on the trading block. They were the team to actually sign Weber to a contract while Holland was waiting to make his pitch to Weber this summer.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Holland does not make trades that involve roster players. It simply doesn't happen. Then you throw in the unknown as far as what it would cost Holland to sign Subban to a new contract. Holland prefers guys like Sammy and Bert and Cleary who will accept your initial offer. He doesn't like dealing with guys like Quincey and Ericsson who drive a hard bargain to get more money. Subban isn't likely to take a major discount for the honor of playing in the Winged Wheel. Heck, he's obviously not overwhelmed by playing for Les Habs.

So yeah, Holland doesn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole. You know who needs defense? Philly. I'd expect them to get a deal done if Subban ends on the trading block. They were the team to actually sign Weber to a contract while Holland was waiting to make his pitch to Weber this summer.

Well considering that guys like Weber and Suter wouldn't have taken a discount to play in Detroit either but Kenny still kicked the tires I wouldn't be surprised if Holland does the same with Subban. Also I think it's unlikely that the Habs send PK to an eastern team. Either way I give it a 1 in 1,000,000 chance that Kenny takes a serious run at PK.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well considering that guys like Weber and Suter wouldn't have taken a discount to play in Detroit either but Kenny still kicked the tires I wouldn't be surprised if Holland does the same with Subban. Also I think it's unlikely that the Habs send PK to an eastern team. Either way I give it a 1 in 1,000,000 chance that Kenny takes a serious run at PK.

Yeah, I'd agree that Kenny is a world class tire kicker. Never let's a set of tires get acquired by another team without getting a chance to kick 'em and declare them to be a bit more expensive than he'd like to pay.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I wonder which one of Nash, Richards, or Gaborik the NYR will buyout... They'll really be up against it trying to keep those three and they could ditch one of them and throw some cash at Ryder or Horton this Offseason and keep their Dcorps intact. Whoever does get bought out Detroit should pursue like a hound dog.

Good call- definitely worthwhile to see what the Rangers do with their roster. Not sure that they'll buyout any of the 3 you listed, but since they do have a lot of talented guys up for new deals soon, they may look to move one of the big 3. I'd guess it would Gaborik, given that losing Richards would hurt them too much down the middle and they just pulled off the big Nash deal. And good Lord, did Nash look unstoppable last night against the B's- I know that Gaborik got the hat trick but Nash owned that game.

I don't see why Dallas and Boston wouldn't try to retain Ryder and Horton, respectively, but I'd take either guy. I wish KH had landed Ryder when he left Boston- would have been a great fit on the top line.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Good call- definitely worthwhile to see what the Rangers do with their roster. Not sure that they'll buyout any of the 3 you listed, but since they do have a lot of talented guys up for new deals soon, they may look to move one of the big 3. I'd guess it would Gaborik, given that losing Richards would hurt them too much down the middle and they just pulled off the big Nash deal. And good Lord, did Nash look unstoppable last night against the B's- I know that Gaborik got the hat trick but Nash owned that game.

I don't see why Dallas and Boston wouldn't try to retain Ryder and Horton, respectively, but I'd take either guy. I wish KH had landed Ryder when he left Boston- would have been a great fit on the top line.

At least Holland would be listened to regarding a Nash trade this time...

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Forgot to mention when talking about the Rangers in the last post, but anyway... I know they've taken a lot of grief for some of the contracts they handed out, but their D corps is light years better than Detroit's and all of their guys are on great deals. Obviously McD should get a hefty raise after the season, but they just signed Del Zotto to a great 2 year deal before this season.

And I was stunned to see that Girardi's cap hit is 3.325m compared to E's 3.25m with Girardi's deal being signed 1 year before E's... the Rangers have one of the NHL's best defensive defensemen at a shade more than we're paying E, PRAYING he grows into Stuart-light. :amazed:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
At least Holland would be listened to regarding a Nash trade this time...

I don't see Nash going anywhere. I think he's going to respond to getting to play on a big stage in the NHL for the first time in his career, light it up, and be a franchise cornerstone. And even if he was made available, I have a REALLY tough time seeing Holland being willing to move the necessary assets to bring back an elite player in a trade. Even if it's a guy the Wings could really use.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I don't see Nash going anywhere. I think he's going to respond to getting to play on a big stage in the NHL for the first time in his career, light it up, and be a franchise cornerstone. And even if he was made available, I have a REALLY tough time seeing Holland being willing to move the necessary assets to bring back an elite player in a trade. Even if it's a guy the Wings could really use.

Yeah, Gaborik is likely the odd man out if they do have to move someone, but MAN would Nash be awesome to have.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Yeah, Gaborik is likely the odd man out if they do have to move someone, but MAN would Nash be awesome to have.

I think they'll have to use a buyout. GMs are too smart to fork over a fortune when they know they can just force New York to buy Gaborik out by utilizing their walk away power and pick him up for free.

Actual Thought*

I read a stat that said Holland hasn't traded a regular roster player (a guy who had played 82 games for us in prior years) since 2002 (might have the season wrong, but in that time frame), and it was Jason Williams. If it has been nearly a decade since Holland made a swap of players, maybe it is time to try again? :D
Holland has had a fair amount of success in that time. I don't believe for a minute that if a trade came up that made sense Holland wouldn't make it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Although I know it will never happen, Bob McKenzie on tsn said that its leaning more likely that the Canadiens are gonna trade PK Subban. I love the guy and would definitely overpay to get him, he's a right hand shot to and I bet Babcock would love him.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414354

Curious why do you think Babcock would like him?

PK makes mistakes and has discipline problems on ice. He is the kind of guy Babcock gets super angry at. He gives chances to both team, I can actually hear Babcock saying that right now. The package for him will be absurd anyway and while I like Subban I just can't see anyway we are the ultimate winners in this bidding war and if we are that I am happy with who has departed.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Curious why do you think Babcock would like him?

PK makes mistakes and has discipline problems on ice. He is the kind of guy Babcock gets super angry at. He gives chances to both team, I can actually hear Babcock saying that right now. The package for him will be absurd anyway and while I like Subban I just can't see anyway we are the ultimate winners in this bidding war and if we are that I am happy with who has departed.

Young, good skater, physical, right handed shoot and can is good offensively? Babcock would love him.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Dump White, but sign Hainsey? You DO realize that Hainsey would be about the 9th or 10th best defenseman under contract to the Wings, right?

9th or 10th best among this group? That's ridiculous. I don't know that I'd bother trying to acquire him [Hainsey], but c'mon now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Young, good skater, physical, right handed shoot and can is good offensively? Babcock would love him.

You just ignored the major point though, he is incredibly mistake prone. Hey people can believe whatever they want but once Babcock gets these kids in the lineup and they are in his charge, he doesn't play them a whole lot and punishes them for each mistake.

Subban might be established enough he wouldn't but you're talking about a guy that has been sent to the press box because of repeated stupidity on a very bad team.

Last edited:

Actual Thought*

Yeah, how's that working out for them?:sarcasm:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

and all they ended up doing was helping Nashville get him signed

there was no way in hell Nashville was ever gonna not match that after losing Suter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad