Boston Bruins The Times, They Are a Changin’

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
My plan would be to keep your top assets this deadline, get a C and a RD and see what happens in the play-offs. I'm not expecting anything great there if I'm not paying a premium.

Off season. Make a decision on Pastrnak. You either sign him or trade him. I guess you could wait until the deadline, but his value would be highest with a full year remaining.

Get a Bergeron decision. Hopefully he's on board. If a center is there for the taking via UFA go all out to sign him (maybe Trocheck?)

Go into the season depending on the younger guys. Zboril, Vaak, Frederic, Steen and Studnicka should all be regulars, at their natural positions (JZ can play RD, he's good there)

If you re sign Pasta and Bergeron is back, you're looking at a 7-8 seed again (which is fine with me) and see how things go.

agree with you, like I said I’d wait until the off season but if they had offers on Gryz, DeBrusk and some others, even Carlo that were world beaters why not? They are going to make it regardless

Everything you've said in these 2 posts is bang on and in my mind the prudent approach. I'd even lock up Zboril now to protect an asset (slight overpay and commit to roster spot next season to entice) and deal Reilly and buyout Moore in the offseason (saves 4.5 mil next year and 2.25 following). For the remainder of this season, if you can move a current roster piece (Jake) or 2 for an upgrade do it but protect futures at all cost. I think the only way this team 'potentially' does any damage in this years playoffs is if they remove Cassidy, new voice/approach is needed.

Reactions: Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
2015, absolutely. Still, got Carlo & Lauzon

Where else were there terrible miscues?

2016 - McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, Steen
2017 - Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Swayman
2018 - no first round pick, no players of significance drafted after Bruins first pick (57th)
2019 - Beecher, Olsen too early to say, no one of significance yet after Beecher
2020 - With no first round pick Lohrei
2021 -Lysell

Perhaps I should have been more specific, I`m not close to being as comfortable that Frederic is going to be anything more than JAG at the NHL level, hasn`t proven to this fan anything at all other than he`s , at the very least, one of the few B`s players who will drop em` if necessary but his overall skill when the puck is on his stick still needs a ton of work

Like you say, Beecher/Olson too early to say and I`ve watched 0 minutes of either but what I read from those who have seen Beecher, I like what I`m hearing he`s a kid who pays attention to details defensively, appears his hands better than the stats indicate and has terrific speed but we`ll see

Lysell is a kid I love and I should say I think that Harrison kid might be something but too soon to tell. Where my concerns lie is with the mentality of drafting, I love the skilled kids, always important to have prospects in the system who play with a "push the play" mentality but I pointed out is in the grit department, this team as currently put together will get steamrolled vs a physical team and not just steamrolled but it`s a roster with few players who have it in them to answer the play physically, they simply don`t. Now, kids like Beecher/Harrison with that size might help and we`ll see but who`s the last kid who could play, play with physicality, take a regular shift and help out this team has drafted up front or on the back end?

A Prez who was as nasty as they come during his playing days, a GM who not a steamroller physically, held his own in a very different NHL era and they present fans with a lineup that I haven`t seen this soft in years with opponents consistently going after the best players on the team with zero answers

I want a scout (both amateur and pro) to identify a few kids/players who`ll bring the nasty when needed, these players aren`t perhaps as easy to find these days but I see other teams finding some . An extra mill /season would have secured the services of Coleman, yep, overpayment and I don`t like the term but when a window is closing fast, you do stuff like that and while I wasn`t hugely opposed the Foligno signing, I was way off base on what I thought he could still do and it`s been a colossal failure.

I don`t see/read/hear about kids in the pipeline who`ll bring "it" and who play like they hate to lose, this team is one, right now, that I`ll wager opponents game plan is simple, play them physical, there will be no answer or there may be one but it can`t be sustained, this team has zero toughness in the sense of being able to hang in physical games, players who`ll force an opponent to answer for a liberty take etc...that falls on scouts, GM, Prez.

This team is simply fortunate that those teams below them are pretty weak or they`d be the one`s on the outside looking in right now

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Perhaps I should have been more specific, I`m not close to being as comfortable that Frederic is going to be anything more than JAG at the NHL level, hasn`t proven to this fan anything at all other than he`s , at the very least, one of the few B`s players who will drop em` if necessary but his overall skill when the puck is on his stick still needs a ton of work

Like you say, Beecher/Olson too early to say and I`ve watched 0 minutes of either but what I read from those who have seen Beecher, I like what I`m hearing he`s a kid who pays attention to details defensively, appears his hands better than the stats indicate and has terrific speed but we`ll see

Lysell is a kid I love and I should say I think that Harrison kid might be something but too soon to tell. Where my concerns lie is with the mentality of drafting, I love the skilled kids, always important to have prospects in the system who play with a "push the play" mentality but I pointed out is in the grit department, this team as currently put together will get steamrolled vs a physical team and not just steamrolled but it`s a roster with few players who have it in them to answer the play physically, they simply don`t. Now, kids like Beecher/Harrison with that size might help and we`ll see but who`s the last kid who could play, play with physicality, take a regular shift and help out this team has drafted up front or on the back end?

A Prez who was as nasty as they come during his playing days, a GM who not a steamroller physically, held his own in a very different NHL era and they present fans with a lineup that I haven`t seen this soft in years with opponents consistently going after the best players on the team with zero answers

I want a scout (both amateur and pro) to identify a few kids/players who`ll bring the nasty when needed, these players aren`t perhaps as easy to find these days but I see other teams finding some . An extra mill /season would have secured the services of Coleman, yep, overpayment and I don`t like the term but when a window is closing fast, you do stuff like that and while I wasn`t hugely opposed the Foligno signing, I was way off base on what I thought he could still do and it`s been a colossal failure.

I don`t see/read/hear about kids in the pipeline who`ll bring "it" and who play like they hate to lose, this team is one, right now, that I`ll wager opponents game plan is simple, play them physical, there will be no answer or there may be one but it can`t be sustained, this team has zero toughness in the sense of being able to hang in physical games, players who`ll force an opponent to answer for a liberty take etc...that falls on scouts, GM, Prez.

This team is simply fortunate that those teams below them are pretty weak or they`d be the one`s on the outside looking in right now

I'll answer that question with another question:

Since Sweeney's been GM, who are the players that have fit your description that were available when the Bruins drafted that were obvious and the Bruins missed them?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

2018 - no first round pick, no players of significance drafted after Bruins first pick (57th)
2019 - Beecher, Olsen too early to say, no one of significance yet after Beecher
2021 -Lysell

Best forward they’ve drafted is DeBrusk….

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

2021 -Lysell
easy, Frederic over Debrincat
7 career goals vs 146.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm pretty sure Mr. Jacobs would do anything to not have to have a beer with anyone on this board.

Ha ha very true. There's a famous Australian song that has the chorus "I love to have a beer with Duncan, 'cause Duncan's my mate." Well if Mr. Jacobs has a beer with any mates, they sure aren't amongst us poor lowly schmucks here!

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
View attachment 506605
“I don’t play hockey for money man”
Not sure if serious...
not sure if serious.JPG

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Stud to the rescue?
Yeah, if Cassidy gives him the go ahead to play his game a bit more freely.Same with Studnicka. At this point they need all of the
youthful exuberance that can be gleaned from them.
During the game against the 'Canes (IIRC) the other night Stud had a
good shift and did some good stuff but when he got back to the bench
it seems (no idea if I'm right) Cassidy was giving him some "negative encouragement."
The NHL may not be a "development league" but if a coach doesn't
get all he can out of a young player he's doing himself, the player, and the team a dis-service. He's not getting the team's money worth out
of the player.
Weird thing is that Butch put Kuhlman in the game 7 lineup over
Backes (2019 finals) but didn't have the confidence to play certain kids during the regular season, which is when you teach the kids and give them a sense of confidence to be able to play on the bigger stage.

Wirelessbits

Dec 11, 2021

If i could pick my first post this would be it...well said. The only thing I would add is that I had(have?) hope for Frederic. His initial play with a couple of fights and it seemed some skill now look like a mirage...sigh. Also, Studnicka, like Sens is at best bottom six and perhaps never a regular NHL player. Maybe not a 'swing and a miss' but more of a 'advanced the runners' but leaves it to others to get the win. Not what he was drafted for...

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
If i could pick my first post this would be it...well said. The only thing I would add is that I had(have?) hope for Frederic. His initial play with a couple of fights and it seemed some skill now look like a mirage...sigh. Also, Studnicka, like Sens is at best bottom six and perhaps never a regular NHL player. Maybe not a 'swing and a miss' but more of a 'advanced the runners' but leaves it to others to get the win. Not what he was drafted for...
Welcome! I see you joined in Dec. You took a bit of time for your first post!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have been accused of hating Frederic which is incorrect, physical guy when engaged in the game, willing to drop the mitts, is precisely what this team lacks in spades. What I want to see more from him of is working on puck possession and decision making with the puck and staying focused for the full 60 which isn`t odd for younger players

I just don`t see him as a kid able to play top 6 minutes at this stage and a good game vs the Sens won`t change that and man do I hope I`m wrong, love to see him thrive but haven`t seen it yet and Studs, IMO, is being mishandled by Butch. I think Butch has put the fear of Gawd in him to the point that he plays gripping the stick constantly knowing his coach offers him little leeway when it comes to making mistakes

I get it, the NHL isn`t a development league but there are simply going to be players on every roster who aren`t the finished products. Butch too often, plants a guy`s ass to the bench for far too long after a mistake rather than tap that kid on the shoulder and tell him to get back out there and put that mistake in the rear view mirror

Wirelessbits

Dec 11, 2021
Welcome! I see you joined in Dec. You took a bit of time for your first post!

Thanks! I've been a reader on this forum for over 5 years as Bruins are by far my favorite team in my favorite sport, but I'm not a social media person (I loathe fb) and I can just appreciate all the discussions in this forum. Joined in December to buy some tickets and now...I've broken the posting seal! Appreciate your 'behind the scenes' inputs here...you're one of my fav's here...and I miss Qaider bigtime too!

I have been accused of hating Frederic which is incorrect, physical guy when engaged in the game, willing to drop the mitts, is precisely what this team lacks in spades. What I want to see more from him of is working on puck possession and decision making with the puck and staying focused for the full 60 which isn`t odd for younger players

I just don`t see him as a kid able to play top 6 minutes at this stage and a good game vs the Sens won`t change that and man do I hope I`m wrong, love to see him thrive but haven`t seen it yet and Studs, IMO, is being mishandled by Butch. I think Butch has put the fear of Gawd in him to the point that he plays gripping the stick constantly knowing his coach offers him little leeway when it comes to making mistakes

I get it, the NHL isn`t a development league but there are simply going to be players on every roster who aren`t the finished products. Butch too often, plants a guy`s ass to the bench for far too long after a mistake rather than tap that kid on the shoulder and tell him to get back out there and put that mistake in the rear view mirror

Agree...his puck handling can be embarrasing to watch and like many youngins, his sense of the play in real-time with passing is noticeably lacking. I did like his quick reaction and score last night so things like that give me hope, but I have to agree with your assessment...we shall see

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Debrincat was passed over by every team in the first round. And then 9 more teams after the Bruins took Frederic. That's not a terrible miscue. That's just one team stepping in it before anyone else.
Who drafted Swayman & McAvoy? One 14th overall the other round 4

does that count or does DeBrincat now The focus by posters

i looked back at that 2016 draft thread and only really one person wanted DeBrincat in live time and it was the know it all who uses that stupid hockey is my third sport dribble, DKH

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad