Boston Bruins The Times, They Are a Changin’

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
With Mcavoy on the back end I don’t want to see a full scale rebuild at this point. Maybe look for one bad year and a higher draft pick.

Sweeneys drafting plain and simple needs to get better. That and the way they developed these young players needs to change.

If we are going to play these young guys Bruce needs to go as well. The younger players don’t respond the same way when called out in the media or when bounced around as they did 5-10 years ago.

I can’t help but look back on the 2015 draft and say that really screwed us out of being a long time cup contender.

Reactions: Gordoff

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
In theory, I’m pro-rebuild. This team feels directionless and they need a long term strategy. Middling ain’t it.

but I have absolutely no confidence in the current management group to execute a rebuild in a way that would pay off. Jacobs need to clean house in the front office and the culture needs to change. As much as I love the Bruins teams of my youth, I don’t want anyone from that era on Causeway.

As I said in another thread, this is the year to start the rebuild with the safety net of the winter classic next season to entice STH to stay on. Right the ship, come up with a strategy, sell the hell out of it, and get people excited about the direction of the team.

New blood, new ideas, new direction. Unfortunately I don’t see the Jacobs being invested enough in the hockey side of things to do that work, so who knows what happens.

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
I am starting to feel pro-rebuild also. Being middle of pack is too much treading water.
Management absolutely has to make change of mind and draft Best Player Available.
Not player who maybe good 200ft checker - we have to go high upside talent, kinda like Lysell pick and Pastrnak back in days. I think team is too damaged to sell future now. I am ready for rebuild - Go Bruins!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I've been a die hard Bruins fan for just about 50 years. I'm embarrassed to say that I've watched most of the games over the years and been to more than I can count. I've seen it all:

Bobby and the Big Bad Bruins as a young boy.
The glorious years where we didn't win anything major but iced O'Reilly and Wensink and Jonathan and so on.
The years where Thursday night against the Habs were a build up for days. You could feel the intensity in the city.
The glory of watching Bourque and Neely and Moog and Lemelin finally beat the Scabs in the playoffs -- oh what a night.
The beauty of 2011 and the magnificent make-up of that team.
and on and on and on

I've also been around for Jacobs screwing up labor stoppage (as lead of the owner group he was in PRIME position -- and f***ED it up), and Harry Sinden going from being a great hockey man to a bitter guy who took so many hostages we'd all have been better off if he'd stayed sitting at the end of a dingy bar nursing his scotch and just complaining to the bartender. God did he suck as a person and a manager in those years.

Still -- the worst was the Stevie Heinze, John Carter, Swoop Sweeney, years. What dull, drab, and lifeless hockey. I fear we are headed that way.

As far as now? My interest in the product the League puts on has waned. Gary Bettman may have been good for the finances of the owners, but he's dreadful for the game.

For the Bruins? This current team will not make a splash in the playoffs IMO and I believe Bergie will hang them up -- and to be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't either.

From there Brad Marchand is the most exciting and interesting player in the game IMO. I get it that he screws up and plays on the edge, but the League is trying to neuter him out of the game -- like they neutered our 2011 team the very next season. This team needs a few more (I'd settle for one) Adam McQuaids and Kevan Millers to be interesting over the next several years. Gonna be hard.

Need a complete rebuild but Jacobs will have to have some empty seats before he will let that happen.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
A complete lack of center depth organizationally says they will struggle for a long time unless they fix that issue. Charlie Coyle or Erik Haula are your 1C right now with Bergeron being hurt. Let that sink in.

This management team is asleep. I have zero faith they can figure it out. Jacobs will only notice a problem when people stop buying tickets and by then this team will be complete garbage..

Donny had lots of cap space, knew he wouldn't have Krecji and did nothing..how many team contend without a number 2 center?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I'm hoping picks from the last few years pan out, which would give us a jump on a rebuild.

Swayman, Lohrei, McAvoy, Pasta,Lysell could be a good starting base

Throw in Harrison, Kuntar, Beecher, Gallagher

Key is having a good draft, not signing old free agents
This ^
Just want to See Sweeney gone first

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Black & Gold until I'm dead & cold.

However, I simply do not trust present management to successfully rebuild this team. With the exceptions of re-signing their own UFAs to team friendly deals and signing undrafted free agents it has been clusterf*** after clusterf*** when it comes to drafting, trades and signing UFAs which are the main avenues to building & re-building successful teams.

I'm quite sure the only way this team is successfully rebuilt is to endure a repeat of the early to mid 2000s debacle that cost the Bruins so much money Jeremy Jacobs finally blew everything up and brought outside management in to right the ship.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
A lot of people saying “complete rebuild” but I still can’t seem to figure out what that means. And I can’t figure out why going down to the studs is necessary.

How do they get better? drafting isn't good. free agent signing's aren't all that good. You'll need both a number 1 and 2 center...how do you get those guys?

They haven't developed center in 7 years..

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
How do they get better? drafting isn't good. free agent signing's aren't all that good. You'll need both a number 1 and 2 center...how do you get those guys?

But I mean walk me through the particulars - is it trading Pasta and Marchand? Dumping mid tier guys for third round picks?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Last 6 years draft first round
McAvoy 14
Vaak 17
Lysell 20
Frederic 30
Beecher 31

second
Lindgren 45
Studnicka 52
Axelsson 53
Lohrei 56

pretty damn good

right now I want 8th
Gauthier
Kasper
Hughes

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
A lot of people saying “complete rebuild” but I still can’t seem to figure out what that means. And I can’t figure out why going down to the studs is necessary.

Because you need to give in order to get.

There's plenty of term left on McAvoy's deal, but why would Pasta take a team-friendly deal to be part of a rebuild? I fear the choice there is pay out the nose to keep him or lose him to free agency. I hate saying it (REALLY hate saying it), but for the long term success of the team you have to think about shopping him. Marchand is signed to a bit more term, but is another piece that could fetch a return that would set the team up for success down the line.

My heart hates it, but my head thinks you need to at least look at it.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've been a die hard Bruins fan for just about 50 years. I'm embarrassed to say that I've watched most of the games over the years and been to more than I can count. I've seen it all:

Bobby and the Big Bad Bruins as a young boy.
The glorious years where we didn't win anything major but iced O'Reilly and Wensink and Jonathan and so on.
The years where Thursday night against the Habs were a build up for days. You could feel the intensity in the city.
The glory of watching Bourque and Neely and Moog and Lemelin finally beat the Scabs in the playoffs -- oh what a night.
The beauty of 2011 and the magnificent make-up of that team.
and on and on and on

I've also been around for Jacobs screwing up labor stoppage (as lead of the owner group he was in PRIME position -- and f***ED it up), and Harry Sinden going from being a great hockey man to a bitter guy who took so many hostages we'd all have been better off if he'd stayed sitting at the end of a dingy bar nursing his scotch and just complaining to the bartender. God did he suck as a person and a manager in those years.

Still -- the worst was the Stevie Heinze, John Carter, Swoop Sweeney, years. What dull, drab, and lifeless hockey. I fear we are headed that way.

As far as now? My interest in the product the League puts on has waned. Gary Bettman may have been good for the finances of the owners, but he's dreadful for the game.

For the Bruins? This current team will not make a splash in the playoffs IMO and I believe Bergie will hang them up -- and to be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't either.

From there Brad Marchand is the most exciting and interesting player in the game IMO. I get it that he screws up and plays on the edge, but the League is trying to neuter him out of the game -- like they neutered our 2011 team the very next season. This team needs a few more (I'd settle for one) Adam McQuaids and Kevan Millers to be interesting over the next several years. Gonna be hard.

Need a complete rebuild but Jacobs will have to have some empty seats before he will let that happen.

I will be 70 in Dec and have been watching the Bs as long as I can remember (over 50 years). I have had ST for 20 years and attended most of the home games. (Every one of the home games in 2010/2011 even Prague).

I was able to get my seats 20 years ago because the Bs were not so good and my seats became available.

I don't know how many more years I will be able to afford the ST and I am now retired and living on
much less $$. Also, I will have to see how long the drive from NH to Boston works for me as an older person.

Seeing the last of the 2011 cup winners leave is difficult. I hope Bergy stays for another year but who knows (especially now with an injury). I wish Tuukka the best and kind of saw this coming.

Brad Marchand is one of (if not the) most exciting player to watch. Yes, he misbehaves sometimes but honestly the team is far more exciting to watch when he is on the ice. How dull this team would be without him.

There are some good building blocks with Pasta, McAvoy, Hall and some of the others. Bs need Brad too. He is clearly a leader on the team.

I am happy with our two net minders and feel Swayman will only get better. Linus is a good goalie and I think some here are starting to realize this.

I hope Don S. is looking into help (ESPECIALLY at least one top 4 D man).

I will say it again the Bs need an enforcer not goon) because Brad seems to think it is his job and it cannot be. I applaud him for always sticking up for his boys but someone else needs to be doing that job.

I will be signing up for another year of ST. It is one of the only things i am doing now that I have retired (and due to COVID)

The Bs are not a terrible team (if you think so you forget how bad they were and how
bad it was years ago and how terrible some other teams are.

GO Bs. I am a lifetime fan. I can't help myself.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Because you need to give in order to get.

There's plenty of term left on McAvoy's deal, but why would Pasta take a team-friendly deal to be part of a rebuild? I fear the choice there is pay out the nose to keep him or lose him to free agency. I hate saying it (REALLY hate saying it), but for the long term success of the team you have to think about shopping him. Marchand is signed to a bit more term, but is another piece that could fetch a return that would set the team up for success down the line.

My heart hates it, but my head thinks you need to at least look at it.
NO WAY Brad or Pasta goes. Both are on a good deal, and you would not be able to replace what they do. Even if you could it would be at a much higher $$.

Your head should know this.

Last edited:
Reactions: shelbysdad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad