Boston Bruins The Times, They Are a Changin’

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
I straight up wouldn’t want to get a beer with like 85% of you in this thread. Good lord. Team is still in the hunt of a playoff spot as currently positioned without their two best forwards AND captain?

Sheesh, show me where they’re at when the deadlines rolls around. I’d be willing to bet the roster isn’t the same.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I straight up wouldn’t want to get a beer with like 85% of you in this thread. Good lord. Team is still in the hunt of a playoff spot as currently positioned without their two best forwards AND captain?

Sheesh, show me where they’re at when the deadlines rolls around. I’d be willing to bet the roster isn’t the same.

Jeremy Jacobs would love to have a beer with you. That's exactly the sort of attitude he likes in fans of his team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They are in 2WC with Marchand& Bergeron.

Without them they wouldn’t be that much better than Montreal

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This team reminds me of the 2011-12 Capitals a bit. Down year, a team that could cause some real issues for teams in the playoffs.

Bergeron back, you have four all stars in your top 6.

Bottom 6 should be fine for the playoffs.

defense needs an upgrade right side. I would look for a 2nd pair guy and drop Carlo down to 3rhd.

goalies could be a mixed bag.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Nothing good happens at 3am....

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

With everyone healthy and focused they can beat anyone

To me
Bergeron & Marchand
Get Vaak back
Replace Cassidy with Sacco/Kelly
Minor additions like mojo at deadline

remember and you can look it up many wanted Sweeney fired & full rebuild 2 weeks before playoffs - and they would get destroyed if they played Capitals

They slaughtered Washington 3-4 weeks later

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
That's Lohrei. Or do you mean in addition to Lohrei?

It will be interesting to see what comes of Zboril and Vaak. They both looked like they had top4 upside in their small samples this year. Zboril is a UFA and Vaak is concussed again so not exactly sure things, but for the first time in a long time it looks like the potential is there.
I guess we will wait and see.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I’m with you, but they are an 8 seed with those guys healthy and pretty lucky the teams below them are terrible.

I have no issue with people wanting to “blow up” an 8th seed. I don’t share that opinion but I think you’re being a little unfair, this isn’t a 1 or 2 seed. They will make the playoffs regardless

Last edited:

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I’m with you, but they are an 8 seed with those guys healthy and pretty lucky the teams below them are terrible.

I have no issue with people wanting to “blow up” an 8th seed. I don’t share that opinion but I think you’re being a little unfair, this isn’t a 1 or 2 seed

people get stuck on terms, blow it up, bottom out. Whatever.

My question is, how do you acquire not only a number 1 center, but also a suitable #2? It’s going to take a lot of cap space and assets.

I don’t see this team outbidding or offering the best package in order to acquire those guys, so that leaves the draft.

I had used the term bottom out and that isn’t accurate, but I do think being stuck in the middle isn’t a good place to be either. With the current format, it’s harder to make the playoffs.

Bergeron is going to be 37 and Marchand 34 going into next season and while this team has some pretty good prospects, those are big skates to fill and by the time those prospects are (hopefully) impact players, those guys will be probably be retired.

I know Thursday is just one game and judging them off that isn’t fair, but that team looked like crap. Those are Donnys guys with the exception of Pasta. He’s been here 7 years, not 1 or 2.

Reactions: Gordoff

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
This isn’t a one year they are back on top folks. Anyone that thinks that is in for disappointment. Even if they start drafting better that’s usually a good 2-5 years away.

They should be looking to unload Marchand, Foligno and Hall at the deadline if they want to speed it up. They won’t we know this. So continue to expect middling and signing old stars like Coffey to try to fool ticket holders to keep buying. Then when they finally hit rock bottom and fans don’t pay up they’ll finally be changes

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My plan would be to keep your top assets this deadline, get a C and a RD and see what happens in the play-offs. I'm not expecting anything great there if I'm not paying a premium.

Off season. Make a decision on Pastrnak. You either sign him or trade him. I guess you could wait until the deadline, but his value would be highest with a full year remaining.

Get a Bergeron decision. Hopefully he's on board. If a center is there for the taking via UFA go all out to sign him (maybe Trocheck?)

Go into the season depending on the younger guys. Zboril, Vaak, Frederic, Steen and Studnicka should all be regulars, at their natural positions (JZ can play RD, he's good there)

If you re sign Pasta and Bergeron is back, you're looking at a 7-8 seed again (which is fine with me) and see how things go.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
The more we talk the more this seems to boil down to Chycrun or young d man x.....
chyc's high minus/poor play this year is too much for me to ignore but who am I? More importantly, who is young d man x who sakes loose?
There is one other critical concern when acquiring a premier, high-priced D-man. MURPHY'S LAW!
Before Chycrun was even 20 he had major surgeries on his shoulder and knee. He has also dealt with a hip injury in 2020..
Would hate to pay a heavy price for a guy who starts falling apart by his mid-twenties.
We wouldn't be getting him for light duty.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
We all can talk about what the needs are for this team , and throw names around etc etc BUT ! before they make any moves the first move should be to sign Pasta today ,not tomorrow or next week . Reasoning he is young , talented andd you are showing potential signings that you still have some talented young players that are signed Pasta,MacAvoy , Hall, and hope he pans out Lysell........Don't get me wrong I want Sweeney to improve this team........

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I wish someone on the blow it all up brigade would outline what the specifics of that plan would be.

Like…

“Haula to Wild for a 3rd
Pastrnak to Philly for 1st 22 and 2nd 23 and a prospect
Carlo to Vancouver for 2nd 22 and 2nd 23”

And take that through - finish 5th from last in 22-23, get 5th overall pick…

Because I can’t process it otherwise.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
upload_2022-2-12_9-59-39.jpeg

“I don’t play hockey for money man”

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I have no issue with people wanting to “blow up” an 8th seed. I don’t share that opinion but I think you’re being a little unfair, this isn’t a 1 or 2 seed. They will make the playoffs regardless

Serious question:

How many teams have been in the playoffs when management decided to blow it up for a complete rebuild?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I wish someone on the blow it all up brigade would outline what the specifics of that plan would be.

Like…

“Haula to Wild for a 3rd
Pastrnak to Philly for 1st 22 and 2nd 23 and a prospect
Carlo to Vancouver for 2nd 22 and 2nd 23”

And take that through - finish 5th from last in 22-23, get 5th overall pick…

Because I can’t process it otherwise.
I don’t consider myself in that “brigade” but if Bergeron retires imo this team is toast as currently constructed. Okay maybe you sign Hertl as a UFA, but does he replace Bergeron’s game? If so you’re still a 2nd wild card team at best.

If Bergeron retires I think you shop Marchand. I’d guess Colorado Vegas Pittsburgh NY Rangers to name a few would be salivating at the option to add #63. Lafrenierre, Kakko? Newhook?

The team would be built around Pastrnak McAvoy Swayman etc. Not sure what you could get for Hall.

With that said, if Bergeron re-signs you go for Cup.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You weren't alone. It seems that Sinden couldn't resist taking a
a defenseman who had major knee surgery right before the draft IIRC.

Bruins success has always been built around great defensemen. Kluzak was a might have been.

Bellows was billed as "the next one" after Gretzky. Harry didn't buy it.

Bellows turned out to be a very good player. Not a superstar.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
at 100% health and everyone firing on all cylinders, I see them incapable of coming remotely close to being able to beat the Canes, Bolts, Panthers, Rangers or Pens in a 7 gamer, this team has nowhere near the size and consistent physicality to withstand a 7 game series vs any of them

Do they have the means to acquire what it would take to beat any of the above? Doubt it, doesn`t mean I don`t try but this offseason is, for this fan, in a very good draft from what I understand, the year you reload/retool/rebuild, don`t care what you call it. As I stated earlier in this thread, I don`t trust the one`s calling the shots to do this well enough

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
2 Cup finals since the 2010/11 win, had some nice competitive teams, terrible miscues at the draft table in recent years has left this team with a seemingly unsavory succession plan/outlook

I like some of the younger pieces but this team needs a kid or two who comes along that injects some passion, some grit and some energy with some intelligent draft selections, trades and UFA signings

Biggest issue is this IMO, I don`t trust our current GM and Prez to deliver on those and I`m not sold the man behind the bench wants to coach kids/younger lineups but maybe I`m wrong

I`m bordering on a few emotions as we watch Tuukka retire, sadness and gratitude but I`ve also watched enough hockey to know that there are more than a few franchises out there who`d die to have the successes this team has in the last decade or so.

Time for new blood behind the bench and upstairs

2015, absolutely. Still, got Carlo & Lauzon

Where else were there terrible miscues?

2016 - McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, Steen
2017 - Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Swayman
2018 - no first round pick, no players of significance drafted after Bruins first pick (57th)
2019 - Beecher, Olsen too early to say, no one of significance yet after Beecher
2020 - With no first round pick Lohrei
2021 -Lysell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad