OT: The Thread About Nothing Part CXCI: Dick Trickle, flies, and even more microbrews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I like American Pickers, but dont try to tell me you make money driving around the country buying stuff for $50 and selling it for $100, when the average price of gasoline is $3.67 per gallon and you're in a 20mpg van.

Look at their website. They make double or trip on some really expensive items too - like 5, 10, or even 20k. A couple of those items and they do ok. The cheap stuff is just for making a name for themselves on tv and showing off what they know I think. I wonder how much they make per ep.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I like American Pickers, but dont try to tell me you make money driving around the country buying stuff for $50 and selling it for $100, when the average price of gasoline is $3.67 per gallon and you're in a 20mpg van.

Where we live in this country is very different from just about every other area in the country as you're aware of and you'd be surprised how much more popular antique and pawn type shops are in more rural areas of the country so what may seem like nothing to you and I, has much more value and meaning to those who love that stuff - it's just the way that lifestyle is, we hardly see any of those shops around here nor anybody with much interest in those kinds of things

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Look at their website. They make double or trip on some really expensive items too - like 5, 10, or even 20k. A couple of those items and they do ok. The cheap stuff is just for making a name for themselves on tv and showing off what they know I think. I wonder how much they make per ep.

That makes sense, but why not show it on TV? I've probably seen at least 50% of the episodes, and it's extremely rare they pull the trigger (at least in what they show you on TV) on a $1000+ item. There's TWO of them, there's gas expense, it's a small van with limited square footage for "picked" items and inventory, they have hotel/motel expense, etc... It doesnt seem to add up.

Where we live in this country is very different from just about every other area in the country as you're aware of and you'd be surprised how much more popular antique and pawn type shops are in more rural areas of the country so what may seem like nothing to you and I, has much more value and meaning to those who love that stuff - it's just the way that lifestyle is, we hardly see any of those shops around here nor anybody with much interest in those kinds of things

I grew up in a rural part of NJ where antique shops are relatively common, and in a county across the h2o from Bucks County, where antiques shops are ubiquitous. But if you watch the show, 90% of the stuff they're "picking" they're buying for $20 to $200 and reselling for $60 to $400.

As for pawn shops, that a different animal. They make tons of money off of the human trash of society, the truly (sadly) desperate, people addled with drug addictions and gambling problems, and a general catch-off of people who make/have made poor financial decisions.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I grew up in a rural part of NJ where antique shops are relatively common, and in a county across the h2o from Bucks County, where antiques shops are ubiquitous. But if you watch the show, 90% of the stuff they're "picking" they're buying for $20 to $200 and reselling for $60 to $400.

As for pawn shops, that a different animal. They make tons of money off of the human trash of society, the truly (sadly) desperate, people addled with drug addictions and gambling problems, and a general catch-off of people who make/have made poor financial decisions.

You have to take into account how much more $$ they are making from and as a result of, the show

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
That makes sense, but why not show it on TV? I've probably seen at least 50% of the episodes, and it's extremely rare they pull the trigger (at least in what they show you on TV) on a $1000+ item. There's TWO of them, there's gas expense, it's a small van with limited square footage for "picked" items and inventory, they have hotel/motel expense, etc... It doesnt seem to add up.

Because they don't find those things when filming? They do deals from calls and searches aside from the version of "picking" we see them do on the show. They just make it seem like this is their business going out on wild goose chases to hopefully score the big one and sometimes they do. But I think this show is much like those storage wars - mostly bust more than boom.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
TNiuJBH.jpg

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
2yoo20w.jpg

if cops enforced a 'go faster than 65 mph in the left lane' law, im of the firm belief that there would be LESS accidents. so *** ridiculous, some people. 90% foreign, 95% women, 100% stupid AF.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
2yoo20w.jpg

if cops enforced a 'go faster than 65 mph in the left lane' law, im of the firm belief that there would be LESS accidents. so *** ridiculous, some people. 90% foreign, 95% women, 100% stupid AF.

I've said this before and I'll say it again because it happened again on the way home today:

My biggest driving related pet peeve is when someone goes way to the right to turn left or way to the left to turn right.

On my way home a guy on a side street (or it might have been a woman) decided they would fly out in front of me from a side street. Of course there was no one behind me but I guess they couldn't wait. I slow way down to avoid hitting them, but whatever, that happens a lot. So we get to the stop sign at a busy road where I need to make a right. Of course the dope in front of me puts on their left signal. Whatever, I'll just go around and make my right. But no! For some reason they had to move literally all the way to the right hand side of the road completely blocking off my lane to get around. WTF! What's the point of this?!? There is none. It's a friggin jeep not an 18 wheeler! :facepalm:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I've said this before and I'll say it again because it happened again on the way home today:

My biggest driving related pet peeve is when someone goes way to the right to turn left or way to the left to turn right.

On my way home a guy on a side street (or it might have been a woman) decided they would fly out in front of me from a side street. Of course there was no one behind me but I guess they couldn't wait. I slow way down to avoid hitting them, but whatever, that happens a lot. So we get to the stop sign at a busy road where I need to make a right. Of course the dope in front of me puts on their left signal. Whatever, I'll just go around and make my right. But no! For some reason they had to move literally all the way to the right hand side of the road completely blocking off my lane to get around. WTF! What's the point of this?!? There is none. It's a friggin jeep not an 18 wheeler! :facepalm:

you spoke about the left-to-right thing before, right? i meant to comment but forgot.
I do the ‘wide turn’ every day to work, because one of the off streets I use has a major series of potholes that you’ll hit if you turn it too close. but other than that, and other extenuating circumstances, I agree 100%. and the turn I make is a right turn, so it doesn’t matter much (unless theres oncoming traffic down the street).

but seriously. on every friggin highway, the lanes should be painted every 200 feet:

75 III 65 III 55

I think to do that though, youd have to increase the speed limit…which should absolutely be done as well. so frustrating. oh, and plus: build a second route 80 right above the existing route 80. cut traffic in half. quit being morons about everything.

happy Monday!

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
For those on here who bring their lunch to work:

I usually go to stop n shop for fresh cut boar's head deli meats, but I'm growing a bit bored of sandwiches and pasta. What are some things you guys bring for lunch?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I usually go to stop n shop for fresh cut boar's head deli meats, but I'm growing a bit bored of sandwiches and pasta. What are some things you guys bring for lunch?

Fresh cut boar's head deli meat.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I thought it was fairly obvious I was talking about their business model. I thought.

just curious, did you think they made the majority of their profits off of selling junk? i honestly dont know, i dont watch it. i thought it was obvious that they made their money by putting what they do on a reality show, creating false drama, and getting….um….i’ll say ‘people’ to watch. same ‘business model’ for people killing ducks, or dancing, or singing, or making fish tanks, or whatever the hell else people are doing nowadays. the ****stain rash called ‘reality television’ would go by the wayside if people turned off the channel and enjoyed their own life instead.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

at most stop&shops, theres a cardboard stand right then you walk in that has an assortment of deli meats and cheese, kinda like the **** youd put on crackers at someone’s Christmas party…the whole thing is, IIRC, only 300 calories and is packaged fresh…really good stuff

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I thought it was fairly obvious I was talking about their business model. I thought.

They did one episode were they were asked by a celebrity to find a specific item for their yard/home.

I bet they get **** tons of requests like that pay out of the ass, on top of the profit they gain from buying/selling the item itself.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ

Leftovers and salads.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
They did one episode were they were asked by a celebrity to find a specific item for their yard/home.

I bet they get **** tons of requests like that pay out of the ass, on top of the profit they gain from buying/selling the item itself.

It was Captain Kirk himself.

Has anyone talked about the attempt at lowering the blood/alcohol legal level while driving to .05?
Apparently when places in Europe did this the drunk driving deaths were cut in half. Kindve hard to argue with those results when it's talking about saving lives vs having a good time.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
It was Captain Kirk himself.

Has anyone talked about the attempt at lowering the blood/alcohol legal level while driving to .05?
Apparently when places in Europe did this the drunk driving deaths were cut in half. Kindve hard to argue with those results when it's talking about saving lives vs having a good time.

we tried, but it doesnt matter because cnn reported it. next!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad