OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 196 Fall to Winter (BLAH) Wait its Hockey Time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofKenKlee

Anyone here have experience with Fios versus regular cable?

I just learned Fios is available in my area, and I'm wondering if their claims that their internet is eleventy billion times faster than cable is really true...

That, and Comcast has ****ed me off for the last time.

I have had both FIOS is a better product overall. They have a new interface and I like them because they are not Comcast. I do play each other off to get a better deal, but won't leave FIOS. They do have a free HBO promotion for a year going on right now for existing subs. You should just switch to take advantage of the deals, gift cards etc. YOu have 30 days to switch back.

What I do like is the internet speed is just for you and not shared. My buddy works for a large company and tells me it's all a lie regarding speeds. Comcast has different heads on the cable that deliver internet to your home.

What is bush league is the amount of money spent by Comcast to block FIOS from going statewide. At some point CordCutting has to hurt Comcast, but they still have a monopoly on high speed internet in alot of towns. Verizon has lame DSL overall, we need competition.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Anyone here have experience with Fios versus regular cable?

I just learned Fios is available in my area, and I'm wondering if their claims that their internet is eleventy billion times faster than cable is really true...

That, and Comcast has ****ed me off for the last time.

I had Comcast Internet and TV from roughly 96 or so until like 2009 (something like that?) when FIOS became available in my area. I now have Cablevision (Optimum) based on my building. I also have experience with virtually every major cable company in America cause of my job.

In terms of customer service, FIOS is better than almost all. Their TV service is better in the sense of their DVR/guide/software, but in terms of quality it's all pretty similar.

The internet is faster for uploads on FIOS. By a lot, like 10x or more. But the amount of uploading you do is probably low enough to not really matter. The neighboorhood has little impact anymore on cable (it used to have a high influence, if the people on the same network segment as you were downloading large files, streaming stuff, etc. it could impact your cable connection) but that mostly is fixed, especially in the more rural areas like where I believe you are? With that being said, from a purely technical standpoint, FIOS is better but in practice they are reasonably similar.

In my opinion, you should go with whatever the best price and reliability is. If you've had problems with Comcast and the price is similar, switch. If it's cheaper, switch. If it's the same and your happy with Comcast there's no reason to switch - but threaten to anyways to see if you get your Comcast cheaper. They like to throw in free HBO for a few months or a couple PPV rentals, that kind of thing.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I have had both FIOS is a better product overall. They have a new interface and I like them because they are not Comcast. I do play each other off to get a better deal, but won't leave FIOS. They do have a free HBO promotion for a year going on right now for existing subs. You should just switch to take advantage of the deals, gift cards etc. YOu have 30 days to switch back.

What I do like is the internet speed is just for you and not shared. My buddy works for a large company and tells me it's all a lie regarding speeds. Comcast has different heads on the cable that deliver internet to your home.

What is bush league is the amount of money spent by Comcast to block FIOS from going statewide. At some point CordCutting has to hurt Comcast, but they still have a monopoly on high speed internet in alot of towns. Verizon has lame DSL overall, we need competition.

It's very complicated about all this... Technically speaking, cable is a shared speed, but the total speeds are so high now (10Gb or more in certain cases) that per-circuit speeds of 50-100mbps is not a problem at all. Plus you rarely, if EVER, need it except for bursts. Actually required throughput for most purposes (i.e., even Netflix) is only 2-5mbps really. And anything over 20mbps is like having a Ferrari but only on a highway. 99% of the time you're wasting it.

FIOS availability is about the likelihood of an area switching to it (you can decipher that as higher income, or other certain demographics, certainly but not officially) If you don't switch, Verizon has to install FIOS for everyone else AND maintain copper lines. If enough of an area switches to FIOS they can remove copper line equipment which is VERY, VERY costly to maintain and is federally required for them to do, even if you use a different carrier! It's a truly weird, crazy system.

GhostofKenKlee

It's very complicated about all this... Technically speaking, cable is a shared speed, but the total speeds are so high now (10Gb or more in certain cases) that per-circuit speeds of 50-100mbps is not a problem at all. Plus you rarely, if EVER, need it except for bursts. Actually required throughput for most purposes (i.e., even Netflix) is only 2-5mbps really. And anything over 20mbps is like having a Ferrari but only on a highway. 99% of the time you're wasting it.

FIOS availability is about the likelihood of an area switching to it (you can decipher that as higher income, or other certain demographics, certainly but not officially) If you don't switch, Verizon has to install FIOS for everyone else AND maintain copper lines. If enough of an area switches to FIOS they can remove copper line equipment which is VERY, VERY costly to maintain and is federally required for them to do, even if you use a different carrier! It's a truly weird, crazy system.

From what I understand from a friend that works for Verizon. Alot of the towns and cities are wired already for FIOS. The problem is the approval on the town level. Comcast has bribed alot of towns with free internet for the schools and towns in exchange for hindering the rollout of FIOS for as long as possible.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
From what I understand from a friend that works for Verizon. Alot of the towns and cities are wired already for FIOS. The problem is the approval on the town level. Comcast has bribed alot of towns with free internet for the schools and towns in exchange for hindering the rollout of FIOS for as long as possible.

Yes and no. The wiring is one side... but the installation of the equipment to do the actual transmission of data is another thing. That isn't installed in most places. The town level also has 0 say over what Verizon does where they have the right-of-way because they are already the phone line carrier... Quite a loophole in the system, huh? (FYI, here: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/legacy/ntiahome/staterow/rowtableexcel.htm#NJ) Basically since Verizon is already approved (and federally FORCED to maintain copper POTS) they can just do whatever they want in basically in terms of laying fiber as long as they pay the local cops to keep the roads safe and orderly. This means TONS of overtime money for the cops which towns love.

Comcast bribing towns would only cover a relatively small portion of the FIOS network reach - denser population areas where fiber is cheaper to install/maintain are primarily TWC/Cablevision. It would have to be collusion between Comcast, TWC, and Cablevision. Which, frankly, wouldn't be shocking at all but it is a bit improbable given the current structure of cable co's competition. What *has* happened is Comcast 'bribing' towns as you put it in exchange for massive tax breaks. Not really bad for anyone, depending on how much money they're taking out of the system.

GhostofKenKlee

Yes and no. The wiring is one side... but the installation of the equipment to do the actual transmission of data is another thing. That isn't installed in most places. The town level also has 0 say over what Verizon does where they have the right-of-way because they are already the phone line carrier... Quite a loophole in the system, huh? (FYI, here: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/legacy/ntiahome/staterow/rowtableexcel.htm#NJ) Basically since Verizon is already approved (and federally FORCED to maintain copper POTS) they can just do whatever they want in basically in terms of laying fiber as long as they pay the local cops to keep the roads safe and orderly. This means TONS of overtime money for the cops which towns love.

Comcast bribing towns would only cover a relatively small portion of the FIOS network reach - denser population areas where fiber is cheaper to install/maintain are primarily TWC/Cablevision. It would have to be collusion between Comcast, TWC, and Cablevision. Which, frankly, wouldn't be shocking at all but it is a bit improbable given the current structure of cable co's competition. What *has* happened is Comcast 'bribing' towns as you put it in exchange for massive tax breaks. Not really bad for anyone, depending on how much money they're taking out of the system.

That explains alot of it. I feel for him, he has to sell DSL lines to companies in the market. :laugh: So, Comcast does go into market and tell others we beat Verizons DSL all day.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
That explains alot of it. I feel for him, he has to sell DSL lines to companies in the market. :laugh: So, Comcast does go into market and tell others we beat Verizons DSL all day.

DSL is broadband internet (by definition, but rarely in practice) over copper. It's the best way for Verizon to offset the cost of maintaining that copper as DSL (aside from the modem installed in your home/business) is very low cost for Verizon to run.

There's been some recent development in parts of the UK where laws and practices are much different and copper is still the best/only game in town, and they are pushing big speed out of copper over the next few years. Something like 100mbps over DSL where most DSL in the USA is like 5mbps max.

However, cause the federal mandates for Verizon to HAVE to maintain copper lines it's unlikely they'll push this DSL technology here cause their goal is to really remove the copper instead of re-investing in it.

DSL still has a great place as a cheap backup service, but that is also going away slowly but surely. Your friend might want to keep his resume ready, poor guy.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Completed 10 weeks without going out to eat or drinking a drop of alcohol. It has not been enjoyable.

Tomorrow night I'll be in Miami and the first order of business is the hotel bar to watch the Bills and the Dolphins :) --- I'm gonna drink something girlie with an umbrella.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Completed 10 weeks without going out to eat or drinking a drop of alcohol. It has not been enjoyable.

Tomorrow night I'll be in Miami and the first order of business is the hotel bar to watch the Bills and the Dolphins :) --- I'm gonna drink something girlie with an umbrella.

We are living opposite lives. I just got back from a long weekend in Sonoma CA. Nothing but family, wine, and food for 4 days... Constant barrage of 'try this' and 'have a glass of that'. So much I want to buy, and store, and share...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We are living opposite lives. I just got back from a long weekend in Sonoma CA. Nothing but family, wine, and food for 4 days... Constant barrage of 'try this' and 'have a glass of that'. So much I want to buy, and store, and share...

That sounds incredible! Did you find a new favorite wine?

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
That sounds incredible! Did you find a new favorite wine?

I don't know about a new favorite... Time will tell about that. My current favorites have stories that have happened over years. I will say I had some of the best wine I ever had, no question about that.

There's a small winery called Selby in Healdsburg. They have a Sauvignon Blanc that is almost hands down the best bottle of white I've ever had by an absolute long shot. The insane part is that it's $15 a bottle. Kind of just have to know it exists... It was the first time I ever felt really great about a white wine.

And there were so many reds (my Uncle shares my affinity for Syrah) I couldn't pick one...

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Thanks for all the great info folks, though it turns out it wont matter.

Get this.....

I do as Cowbell noted live somewhat rural, (by NJ standards anyway) so I was surprised I could get Fios where I am, because I'm aware of the economics and how they're targeting built-up areas first for obvious reasons.

Anyway, after placing the order for installation I called back to ask a question regarding various TV packages, and you know that moment when they always ask you to confirm your name and address? Yeah, well, the address they had for me was for someplace up in Sparta. So basically the Verizon sales rep lied to me and entered a fraudulent address (where you CAN get Fios) just to earn a sales scalp for her commission. Amazing.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
BG just the man I was looking for:

New Trump course opening up in the Bronx, a public course at that

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-links-ferry-point-bronx-golf-course-photos-2014-11?op=1

this-is-what-the-course-will-look-like-when-its-in-its-glory-next-summer-the-fescue-will-be-up-the-city-will-be-in-the-background.jpg

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
BG just the man I was looking for:

New Trump course opening up in the Bronx, a public course at that

Holy crapola, that looks amazing.

I think Trump really hit a homerun with this, because the other nice courses near the city (Bayonne) are private. And to be honest, I would have guessed $150, so $125 doesn't seem too horrendous if golf is really your thing. No floating range is a plus too.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Holy crapola, that looks amazing.

I think Trump really hit a homerun with this, because the other nice courses near the city (Bayonne) are private. And to be honest, I would have guessed $150, so $125 doesn't seem too horrendous if golf is really your thing. No floating range is a plus too.

That's the problem with this area is most of the nicest courses, several of which the Barclays tournaments play at each year are private courses. Those that are public are just your run of the mill nothing spectacular for the most part.

Yea definitely not a bad for that price, considering how it looks - and it's a bit off the beaten path per say so it'll be interesting to see how much play traffic there will be on the course

I had no clue it's been in development this long and I'm not sure many others have either

Some of those shots make it look like it's something out of Europe without the trees

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That's the problem with this area is most of the nicest courses, several of which the Barclays tournaments play at each year are private courses. Those that are public are just your run of the mill nothing spectacular for the most part.

I've played Bayonne Golf Club, or more accurately, it played me. Definitely the most intimidating round of golf in my life, and the first time I've ever had a caddy.

I had no clue it's been in development this long and I'm not sure many others have either

Some of those shots make it look like it's something out of Europe without the trees

I'd never even heard about it until you posted those pics. It went up quickly, because if you go to GOOG satellite imagery the photos are 2014, either Spring or Summer, and not alot was done at that point.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Might see our first inch of snow tonight (or tomorrow night depending on your perspective of time) in NW New Jersey. :yo:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And you're.....excited about that? :dunno:

I hate snow.

I hate shoveling it.

I hate the cold because of it.

I hate it. :rant:

I only hate driving in snow. BG must take mass transit to work not to care about that lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So apparently Phiale had a very bumpy landing yesterday...like literally bumpy. Its harpoons didn't work so it bounced at least three times before finally settling down, and is no where near its intended landing site. Good news is its on the comet, bad news its in the shadow of a cliff and that might kill its batteries sooner then hoped.

xfobp76wslb8xcotbzmq.jpg

Image from the surface. Nothing like this has ever been photographed before. Think about it. This lander is on a body that is made up mostly of undisturbed material that is 4 billion years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad