OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 196 Fall to Winter (BLAH) Wait its Hockey Time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Hate basketball, but LeBron exercised his termination option on his contract and is set to become a FA. Let the circus begin.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I honestly love the message of finding yourself in fishing... is as old as fishing itself...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

A Deliberate Life
There comes a time in all of our lives when we let ourselves dream about living life on our own terms. When we wrestle with the decision to take a step into traffic, follow our passions and live deliberately - or simply let another day, and daydream, pass.
In the end, it doesn't matter if we make the decision of our own accord, or life makes it for us. It's where our heart and soul are that matter. For some, the result is a closer alignment between vocation and avocation, for some it's a reprioritization of what's important in life, for some it's the very real difference between life and death.

Set primarily against the diverse, rugged and breathtaking landscape of Idaho and Oregon, A Deliberate Life explores the stories of five unlikely friends who share the same love of fly fishing and the outdoors and their choice to lead a life according to their passions.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Already stressed out with work. Is this how it is from now on in the real world?

It gets worse. Today was so bad for me that I felt like I was going to pass out from stress. I got dizzy and vision was blurry.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Already stressed out with work. Is this how it is from now on in the real world?

its a daily thing…..it seems like it is the way the world goes. take what jim posted above and make what you can of it to make your own life "satisfying"….enjoy the things you love and never be pressured to compromise your free time….. sure, work the hours if your asked properly without guilt-trip if you can AND if you want to.

dont kiss the boot of above ever if its to only impress.

…… today i lost some stress by talking with the owner about some things that were a concern of mine….. he respected my candor and an agreement was made. ill sleep fine tonight.

just make sure you stand up for yourself and do what is right in general.. command respect with your actions and words and things will fall in place.

if that doesnt work with the people you work with (for) ……. leave with your self respect and dignity. there are other places that hire people too remember.

no man is a robot/slave

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hate basketball, but LeBron exercised his termination option on his contract and is set to become a FA. Let the circus begin.

I'm not buying the "Knicks", "Nets" or "Clippers" talk given the fact one of the biggest reasons he ended up in Florida was for tax purposes.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
its a daily thing…..it seems like it is the way the world goes. take what jim posted above and make what you can of it to make your own life "satisfying"….enjoy the things you love and never be pressured to compromise your free time….. sure, work the hours if your asked properly without guilt-trip if you can AND if you want to.

dont kiss the boot of above ever if its to only impress.

…… today i lost some stress by talking with the owner about some things that were a concern of mine….. he respected my candor and an agreement was made. ill sleep fine tonight.

just make sure you stand up for yourself and do what is right in general.. command respect with your actions and words and things will fall in place.

if that doesnt work with the people you work with (for) ……. leave with your self respect and dignity. there are other places that hire people too remember.

no man is a robot/slave

Great advice! It takes time to adjust to the game...ahem, working world: Finding your niche, learning how office politics work (especially this), etc.

Do your best to leave work at work and home at home. If the lines get blurred, then you'll NEVER feel like you're away from either.

Don't sweat the things you can't control.

Always impose change on yourself before change is imposed on you. For example, I could get laid off next year because of budget cuts because I'm easy to get rid of than others. Once April comes around I'll have my resume out to have a Plan B in place.

My cousin also says, "There's a club where everybody gets together once a week to ***** about their job. It's called happy hour."

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have 5 more days before all the stress goes away :)

grand-teton-national-park_zps8a2db19c.jpg

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

Some things I applied in my life.

-Changed my diet around. Ate less processed foods and drank more water. Made a huge difference.
-Exercise 3-4 days in a gym per week.
-Get off the computer by 10 oclock. (May be a different time for you, but try to give a buffer of 1-2 hours before sleep.)Noticed it helped my sleep dramatically. If I do stay on longer I downloaded a program called flux which reduces the Hertz and brightness of the computer. It warms up the computer lighting to make it similar to indoor lighting.
-Watch comedies and take part in activities I enjoy. Take your mind off the stress. But avoid drugs. It is only a temporary fix and will not solve the underlying issue. Best yet, change your mentality about the stress. See it as a challenge since typically the greater the challenge the greater reward in comparison.

*Write goals down! I met Richard Branson from Virgin when I was in downtown out of all places. He was the most chill nonchalant person I had ever met. Just had a different vibe. He told me that only 3% of people write down goals. Yet these people make the majority of the money in the world. A few studies have been done 10 years after students graduate from university. The 3% made 10 times more money than the 97% combined. Writing goals makes your mind more focused and set your priories straight. Arnold Schwarzennegar said he even started writing goals at 18 years old. Still has all the notebooks with him. It has made a incredible difference in my life. Before I was living day to day and was swayed by the day. I knew I wanted to do stuff but I was like hell I will just do something interesting today and keep on working for the same people.

Finally remember that you can control to a certain extent how you respond to stress. If you have a flat tire for example you can chose to react to it in different ways. Hopefully you will realize that stress affects your health negatively and that as humans none of us want to be stressed. The strange thing is that as you start choosing to be happy your boss will notice it. You will be promoted and naturally make others around you happy. Your work output will go up because you will feel like doing more. But find what works for you!

:laugh: I wrote a lot.

Last edited:

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Do you like the White Stripes? I'm truly getting into The White Stripes more. Especially their debut album Get Behind Me Satan. A clear classic. Even with deeper cuts like White Moon. I think Get Behind Me Satan was the White Stripes' undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. Just listen to the duos White You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Take the lyrics to Little Ghost. In this song, Jack White addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

Jack White's solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like Lazaretto, Three Women and Would You Fight For My Love? But I also think Jack White works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Semak

Do you like the White Stripes? I'm truly getting into The White Stripes more. Especially their debut album Get Behind Me Satan. A clear classic. Even with deeper cuts like White Moon. I think Get Behind Me Satan was the White Stripes' undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. Just listen to the duos White You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Take the lyrics to Little Ghost. In this song, Jack White addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

Jack White's solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like Lazaretto, Three Women and Would You Fight For My Love? But I also think Jack White works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

I'm a big TWS fan but GBMS wasn't their debut, they had four albums before that. Was that a typo? The White Stripes debut album was called The White Stripes. Check it out, better stuff than anything in GBMS, at least for me. A lot of blues and Bob Dylan covers in the first few albums.

Also check out the documentary It Might Get Loud with White, U2's Edge and Jimmy Page.

His solo stuff is pretentious and hard to listen too. The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather stuff is great.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Some things I applied in my life.

-Changed my diet around. Ate less processed foods and drank more water. Made a huge difference.
-Exercise 3-4 days in a gym per week.
-Get off the computer by 10 oclock. (May be a different time for you, but try to give a buffer of 1-2 hours before sleep.)Noticed it helped my sleep dramatically. If I do stay on longer I downloaded a program called flux which reduces the Hertz and brightness of the computer. It warms up the computer lighting to make it similar to indoor lighting.
-Watch comedies and take part in activities I enjoy. Take your mind off the stress. But avoid drugs. It is only a temporary fix and will not solve the underlying issue. Best yet, change your mentality about the stress. See it as a challenge since typically the greater the challenge the greater reward in comparison.

*Write goals down! I met Richard Branson from Virgin when I was in downtown out of all places. He was the most chill nonchalant person I had ever met. Just had a different vibe. He told me that only 3% of people write down goals. Yet these people make the majority of the money in the world. A few studies have been done 10 years after students graduate from university. The 3% made 10 times more money than the 97% combined. Writing goals makes your mind more focused and set your priories straight. Arnold Schwarzennegar said he even started writing goals at 18 years old. Still has all the notebooks with him. It has made a incredible difference in my life. Before I was living day to day and was swayed by the day. I knew I wanted to do stuff but I was like hell I will just do something interesting today and keep on working for the same people.

Finally remember that you can control to a certain extent how you respond to stress. If you have a flat tire for example you can chose to react to it in different ways. Hopefully you will realize that stress affects your health negatively and that as humans none of us want to be stressed. The strange thing is that as you start choosing to be happy your boss will notice it. You will be promoted and naturally make others around you happy. Your work output will go up because you will feel like doing more. But find what works for you!

:laugh: I wrote a lot.

wise words. I agree...and diet/sleep are the easiest changes to make with the biggest potential impact.

also a white stripes fan, but I've never heard jacks solo stuff. fav album is Elephant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad