OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 194: Dos a Cero x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
This is pretty bad. I mean, really?

ukraine is exploding and all cnn cares about is justin bieber. their corruption is showing.

I was reading something interesting about the business of TV the other day which makes sense.

Lots of people think that networks bring in advertisers to sell things to you, when it's really the opposite. The networks bring in viewers to sell to the advertisers. The more viewers, the more money it can ask from advertisers since they're reaching a large audience.

This is why the history channel has no history on it anymore or why TLC stopped being about "learning" ages ago. Honey Boo Boo and Ancient Aliens bring in the viewers, not an analysis of the causes of Shays' Rebellion.

I remember when Discovery Health first came out and they used to have a show on called "The Operation." It was what it sounded like it was, they showed operations. I saw a liver transplant, ACL reconstruction, rhinoplasty, and the gruesome skin graft. It was the GREATEST channel ever (I know, I'm weird, but I thought about being a doctor for a long time)!

But it didn't get ratings because people can't stand the sight of real blood. Walking Dead blood is OK, but god forbid it came out of a real person.

Anyway, I digress. It's the reason the NFL can charge an unfathomable amount of money to advertise during the Super Bowl. It's the single most watched show on TV all year. As long as it remains that way, they can continue to ask for more.

It will always be about infortainment. That's what sells people on watching. It's even on the internet as well. Page views are what sells to advertisers. Justin Bieber, the Kardashians, their ilk will always win out as long as most of the population remains gullible to juicy gossip about celebrities. It goes for men as well. I mean, look what happened to ESPN.com. It's nothing but juicy gossip about athletes.

this is definitely something a lot of people don't realize. shows aren't a network's product, the viewers are.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
A few pics of my brothers rink in his back yard, 40'x50'. Pretty damn fun, way better than that garbage game earlier today.

IMG_2247_zps6082a644.jpg

IMG_2242_zpsa96abe5c.jpg

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I've avoided the market for a few years now after graduating from college, but I'm thinking about opening up an account with Scottrade or TD Ameritrade to just test the waters with a basic individual account. Anyone familiar with the stock market that could give any tips or advice for someone just starting out? Thanks in advance.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I've avoided the market for a few years now after graduating from college, but I'm thinking about opening up an account with Scottrade or TD Ameritrade to just test the waters with a basic individual account. Anyone familiar with the stock market that could give any tips or advice for someone just starting out? Thanks in advance.

Short BBRY (RIM) stock as often as possible. :laugh:

No advice to give really - just don't lose your butt in fees for dabbling around.

GhostofKenKlee

If you had bought BBRY a few weeks back, you would be up 50 percent. It has had a nice run.

As far as investing goes, you can never go wrong in high fructose futures.

Buy Low, Seller Lower.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

I trade every week, I had a Scottrade account, but switched to Ameritrade
if you want to deal with a person in an office, use Scottrade, if you want to just do online trading use Ameritrade, there are other brokers out there but Ameritrade has good customer service.
If youre a beginner start trading ETF's not stocks, I trade the same ETF'S over and over skimming small profits that add up, I trade 4 different ETF's each one follows one index the Nasdaq, the SnP, the Dow and the Russell index
QQQ, SSO, UDOW, TNA are the symbols

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Thanks for the help all.

I remember in one of my finance classes junior year I did one of those stock programs with fake money and I decided to use all of the $500k I had to buy Netflix stock in 2009 when it was about $38/share. Now currently at $380/share. If only.

Beetlebum*

I've had pretty good look with the market big movers for me have been Apple(04), DDD (11), SSYS (11), DB (12), HAIN (13), and a few others. Also did well with DXJ last year though I think that trade is over.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Thanks for the help all.

I remember in one of my finance classes junior year I did one of those stock programs with fake money and I decided to use all of the $500k I had to buy Netflix stock in 2009 when it was about $38/share. Now currently at $380/share. If only.

yeah I owned Google at around 300 a share now its over 1000
you definitely need to figure how much you will invest and for how long, also what profit you're looking for
Many people I know want to make money quickly, and that is hard
on the other hand many people own a stock, watch it go up up up and then watch it tank, never selling and taking a profit
Stick with one style, if you keep changing your mind or try to time the market you're gonna go nuts

Beetlebum*

If I were you i'd buy LNG and companies that make oil tanker rail cars. Infrastructure to support shale plays might never get built, and if they do the pipelines won't be operable for years. Also take a look at foreign affairs from this month they have the top 5 markets to invest in. Off the top of my head they are Poland, South Korea, Turkey, and two others.

Beetlebum*

you definitely need to figure how much you will invest and for how long, also what profit you're looking for
on the other hand many people own a stock, watch it go up up up and then watch it tank, never selling and taking a profit
Stick with one style, if you keep changing your mind or try to time the market you're gonna go nuts

Good advice also don't try to day trade if you don't have finance background.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC

Thanks. I'm not looking to make any money quickly, which I know can take a lot more money and time than I have. I'm going to start out with investing not too much in handful stocks and just keep my eye on it throughout the year. Definitely not doing day-to-day type stuff.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Thanks. I'm not looking to make any money quickly, which I know can take a lot more money and time than I have. I'm going to start out with investing not too much in handful stocks and just keep my eye on it throughout the year. Definitely not doing day-to-day type stuff.

I'm watching CNBC right now, and Apple is getting hit after todays close because they announced their earnings for the quarter at 4:30 and it didnt impress wall street, so its trading down 5 % right now
If you're gonna buy and hold to start out with, you could pick one of the phone companies, they pay a good dividend and are fairly stable, but you wont get rich from them either.

GhostofKenKlee

I buy boring stocks like PSEG and Verizon.

I also like nsrgy (nestle) and UL (unilever).

Certain segments are too overheated and due a major correction. Banking and technology stocks I'm looking at you.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Anyone familiar with the stock market that could give any tips or advice for someone just starting out? Thanks in advance.

Read some books on beginning investing (the type folks read in college). Try to learn as much as you can, and make sure to watch a little bit of CNBC, FoxBusiness, or Bloomberg every day, just to pick up a bit here and there and stay up on current events. In terms of investing, dont quit. Keep pouring a little bit in at a time, dollar cost averaging is a fantastic strategy for beginning investors or young folks without much money to build positions. It's sad how few people in their 20s invest, you'll have a leg up if you do.

If I were you i'd buy LNG

I'm a huge believer in the natural gas sector. This is the future of America.

Certain segments are too overheated and due a major correction. Banking and technology stocks I'm looking at you.

The entire US stock market is "overheated and due for a major correction".

It's a synthetic bubble created by the Federal government and the Federal Reserve to keep people placated. The "record earnings" you hear about tend to be based on ever-increasing cost cutting measures and thrift, which is not a sustainable business strategy, and PE ratios in many sectors are historically stratospheric. Toss into that the fact that interest rates only have one way to go (UP), enormously high US unemployment >10%, and about 101 other things I wont go into, but yeah, this stock market is a house of cards.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

Good for you! I've invested the last three years. Year one was DEFINITELY a hard one. I made a lot of mistakes even after reading many books. When you have made enough mistakes, and sometimes make a good call or two, you start to get a feel for the market. That feel is really important since the market is very much driven by emotion.

If you want to learn how the market works I recommend reading a couple of books. Jim Cramer's Real Money: Investing in a Insane World was a very good book for me to learn the basics of the market like diversification, homework, sector rotation, and stock price. Then I recommend the Motley Fool Investment Guide and Peter Lynch's Beating the Street have treated me well.

Homework is sooooo very important. I read the market currents on seeking alpha everyday to get that feel of the market. You should read about the articles that come out for your stocks as well as your stock's competition.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/all

Since then I've done really well. I made 28% last year on my investments.

Many times the best stocks to pick up quick gains are the ones that stare you in the face when you read the headlines. For example, after the two credit breaches at Target and Michael's, you need to think, people have to guard their credit. Those companies would be Experian and LifeLock. For long term gains, think about what brands are getting better in each sector and definitely invest in sectors that you understand. If you don't know anything about mortgage insurance, stay away. And don't cheer on your stock meaning, don't let emotion get in the way of your judgement.

I would get any account that allows you to reinvest dividends. This is where the money is made over a long period of time. Fidelity is good and it's $8/trade

A good portfolio for 5 relatively safe stocks with good dividends are Bristol Meyers Squibb, Apple, Boeing, Verizon, and Nike

Good luck!

It's a synthetic bubble created by the Federal government and the Federal Reserve to keep people placated. The "record earnings" you hear about tend to be based on ever-increasing cost cutting measures and thrift, which is not a sustainable business strategy, and PE ratios in many sectors are historically stratospheric. Toss into that the fact that interest rates only have one way to go (UP), enormously high US unemployment >10%, and about 101 other things I wont go into, but yeah, this stock market is a house of cards.

This is true, but you also have to remember that there have been enormous inflows of money from the bond market to stocks, which has also inflated stock prices a bit.

Last edited:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Good for you! I've invested the last three years. Year one was DEFINITELY a hard one. I made a lot of mistakes even after reading many books. When you have made enough mistakes, and sometimes make a good call or two, you start to get a feel for the market. That feel is really important since the market is very much driven by emotion.

If you want to learn how the market works I recommend reading a couple of books. Jim Cramer's Real Money: Investing in a Insane World was a very good book for me to learn the basics of the market like diversification, homework, sector rotation, and stock price. Then I recommend the Motley Fool Investment Guide and Peter Lynch's Beating the Street have treated me well.

Homework is sooooo very important. I read the market currents on seeking alpha everyday to get that feel of the market. You should read about the articles that come out for your stocks as well as your stock's competition.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/all

Since then I've done really well. I made 28% last year on my investments.

Many times the best stocks to pick up quick gains are the ones that stare you in the face when you read the headlines. For example, after the two credit breaches at Target and Michael's, you need to think, people have to guard their credit. Those companies would be Experian and LifeLock. For long term gains, think about what brands are getting better and definitely invest in sectors that you understand. If you don't know anything about mortgage insurance, stay away.

I would get any account that allows you to reinvest dividends. This is where the money is made over a long period of time. Fidelity is good and it's $8/trade

Good luck!

This is true, but you also have to remember that there have been enormous inflows of money from the bond market to stocks, which has also inflated stock prices a bit.

one mistake I made was reading too many books and getting "paralysis by analysis", best keep to one game plan and remember...the majority of socks follow the market.
The last 2 years just about everything went up

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
What the hell is going on in here?

Have you seen the trade proposals and prospect evaluation on this board, this is the last place I'd go for investment advice. :laugh:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
What the hell is going on in here?

Have you seen the trade proposals and prospect evaluation on this board, this is the last place I'd go for investment advice. :laugh:

you know the best place for investment advice is at the local bar !!!:laugh:

but also, people have gotten rich by suggesting stock picks on forums only because they already owned the stock and then people started buying it like crazy as word spread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad