njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
BT2MxBMCAAAT6sd.jpg

Carry on.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Nah, Quebec. I think the bow course is about 8 hours, so not too bad I guess. It's tough to find one in English though; I had to take my firearm course in french, which was a *****.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
4 more nights, then on to the new job! Can't wait. I can't even explain how happy I'll be to be off of night shift and back on a normal, 8 hour, Monday - Friday schedule. Making more money with no overtime will be nice too. As will not missing any Devils games.

Sherseys

Feb 15, 2013
New Jersey
The next time I decide that writing an essay at 6 in the morning is a good idea, someone stop me. I've been at this for almost 2 hours now, and the page has about 9 sentences on it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hopefully you're not one of the guys who drives around at 11mph scouting on narrow country roads. Been dealing with this the last few days. lol

No, I scout by walking and glassing :) My area this season is in Hunterdon Co. though. Along Rt31.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
No, I scout by walking and glassing :) My area this season is in Hunterdon Co. though. Along Rt31.

One of the SB preserves most likely I bet. So it's not hard for out-of-county people to get a HC permit? (I thought there was some sort of a lottery for the better counties, and I imagine Hunterdon, Warren, and Sussex are probably about the 3 best).

I definitely want to learn how to field dress and butcher deer so I can start hunting. Where I moved to I know a guy who butchers a bunch of deer into steaks and different cuts etc... each season, and he'll teach me that. For the field dressing, it doesnt seem like there's really a way to learn that unless your dad hunted or someone you know offers to teach you. Wouldnt want to screw it up the first time and kill an animal for nothing = irresponsible.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One of the SB preserves most likely I bet. So it's not hard for out-of-county people to get a HC permit? (I thought there was some sort of a lottery for the better counties, and I imagine Hunterdon, Warren, and Sussex are probably about the 3 best).

I definitely want to learn how to field dress and butcher deer so I can start hunting. Where I moved to I know a guy who butchers a bunch of deer into steaks and different cuts etc... each season, and he'll teach me that. For the field dressing, it doesnt seem like there's really a way to learn that unless your dad hunted or someone you know offers to teach you. Wouldnt want to screw it up the first time and kill an animal for nothing = irresponsible.

Not the SB Preserve but pretty close...More like the Arboretum.

The way Hunterdon County does their permits is you have to apply in person. The first day is only open to Hunterdon county residents. Each location has an allotment based on acres. Once the spots are filled the location is closed. So Hunterdon County residents get first choice. This is for County Parks Only.

Field dressing is relatively easy once you see how it is done.

Screw butchering. It is so much easier to take it to a butcher. You get perfect cuts wrapped beautifully and lot of options like sausages or jerky. The only time I butcher is when a friend asks, otherwise I get all mine done.

Bishop's Market on Rt 22 is approved by the State Health Department for venison processing and they do a great job.

They are approved by the Health Department approved because they belong to the program Hunters Helping the Hungry http://www.huntershelpingthehungry.org/about/ that distributes venison to food banks around New Jersey. A truly great organization.

Sherseys

Feb 15, 2013
New Jersey
Does anyone know the ideal humidity should be in a tank for a snake about to shed? I cannot find this stupid answer anywhere

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Not the SB Preserve but pretty close...More like the Arboretum.

Great spot. Echo Hill and DPP are near there, and the watershed of the SBR, plus it cant be more than 2 or 3 miles from Round Valley. Lots of perfect habitat. Then again, pretty much 90% of Hunterdon County is lots of perfect deer habitat. lol

Field dressing is relatively easy once you see how it is done.

Screw butchering. It is so much easier to take it to a butcher.
You get perfect cuts wrapped beautifully and lot of options like sausages or jerky. The only time I butcher is when a friend asks, otherwise I get all mine done.

I know, and at $75 or $85 it seems extremely reasonable. Still, I'm guessing someone must have taught you, and I think it's a valuable skill to learn, so I'm going to put in some time watching that guy this December (he does for him and his family and some friends).

Bishop's Market on Rt 22 is approved by the State Health Department for venison processing and they do a great job.

Interesting, I didnt know that and where I moved is pretty close to there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Great spot. Echo Hill and DPP are near there, and the watershed of the SBR, plus it cant be more than 2 or 3 miles from Round Valley. Lots of perfect habitat. Then again, pretty much 90% of Hunterdon County is lots of perfect deer habitat. lol

I know, and at $75 or $85 it seems extremely reasonable. Still, I'm guessing someone must have taught you, and I think it's a valuable skill to learn, so I'm going to put in some time watching that guy this December (he does for him and his family and some friends).

Interesting, I didnt know that and where I moved is pretty close to there.

That is the exact area. They have done a pretty good job in Hunterdon County preserving their farm land and wooded areas... Somerset county is practically all condos where farms used to be. Just look at that horrific monstrosity in Bedminster "The Hills" that is the general area I used to hunt and in the 80's and early 90's none of that was there...206 from 287 all the way to Chester was nothing but fields and woods...Although the Forbes building on 206 was always there.

Yes. My Dad taught me how to skin and debone. But a real butcher makes it look a lot prettier than I ever can..

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Does anyone know the ideal humidity should be in a tank for a snake about to shed? I cannot find this stupid answer anywhere

You win the Dennis Miller obscure reference award of the day for this question! :laugh:

It sounds like very humid is the answer.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/snakes/qt/snakeshsigns.htm

Make sure your snake has enough humidity - a shallow dish of water in which it can soak, and / or a humidity hide box (an enclosed plastic container, with an entry hole just big enough for the snake to fit in, containing damp sphagnum moss).

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/reptilesandamphibians/qt/humidityhide.htm

Homemade Humidity Hide
An easy home made humidity hide can be made from a plastic box of some sort (with a lid) and a substrate that can hold moisture. Plastic storage containers work well as you can choose from a wide variety of sizes to suit your reptile. Simply cut a hole in the side or lid just large enough for your reptile to comfortably get in and out of the box (file or sand away any rough edges). Then, fill the bottom of the container with a moisture-holding substrate. Sphagnum moss is a good choice, but you can also use paper towels (easy to use and maintain), or a reptile substrate such as Bed-a-Beast. Make sure the substrate is always damp - not too damp, but damp enough to make sure the hide provides a localized area of very high humidity.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Where?!

Better not be dollar pizza :laugh:

Haha actually it's near your Sony building on 56th between 5th and 6th. It was this place called Glaze Teriyaki. They just opened today and as a special (today only) they had lunch/dinner plates for $1. It's till 10pm so if you're around the area I suggest you try it out, it's delicious. Line might be long though, just a little warning.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Holy crap...

Huge fire started on Seaside Boardwalk. It's now a 6 alarm fire and getting bigger. It's under the boardwalk and spread from the non-working section to the working section. Wind is so strong it's spreading north and blowing embers and starting spot fires in Seaside Heights. This is real bad.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Holy crap...

Huge fire started on Seaside Boardwalk. It's now a 6 alarm fire and getting bigger. It's under the boardwalk and spread from the non-working section to the working section. Wind is so strong it's spreading north and blowing embers and starting spot fires in Seaside Heights. This is real bad.
I'm watching News12 looks real bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad