OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 193: Baby Names and Aruba Nights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I dont know if there's a new species of mosquito that's pushed it's way north, but I've seen some HUGE mosquitos in New Jersey this summer, and I just killed a mosquito that's approximately 2.75" to 3" long, like I've only seen in Florida before.

Florida does have giant mosquitoes (and a camping trip to go bass fishing is the reason I have a real freak-out episode anytime I start getting bit by them to this day) but they are usually only 1- 1.5" max. You sure you aren't seeing crane flies? These things are 3-4" and are usually found on walls near doors on patios and such.

crane-fly-top-view.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Florida does have giant mosquitoes (and a camping trip to go bass fishing is the reason I have a real freak-out episode anytime I start getting bit by them to this day) but they are usually only 1- 1.5" max. You sure you aren't seeing crane flies? These things are 3-4" and are usually found on walls near doors on patios and such.

:nod:

cr7_zps2ffb958a.jpg

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY

crane-fly-top-view.jpg

That looks like the bugger I killed.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Both of my ankles and feet are a mess. It looks like I have chicken pocks from all the bug bites. I honestly don't get it, I don't have a single bite anywhere else accept from the ankles down.

Mosquitoes apparently have a foot fetish?

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
So the video review our myself this other fellow reporter attending the Stone Temple Pilots show is up. Before I post the link let me say that I was really impressed with Chester fronting the group (and I go more detail on that topic in the video) For those who haven't given this new STP a chance because "it's the lead singer from Linkin Park" you have to. Bennington to me...dare I say sounded like a clean version of Weiland of a lot of those songs and you can tell the band isn't stressed anymore and is having fun.

I actually met Robert DeLeo after show and he said that adding Chester "Added ten years to our lives". A fan waiting for an autograph also told about a story about when he saw them in concert at PNC a few years back and Scott was two hours late and Rob sarcastically quipped "Well I'm always on time."

Also had the chance to talk and get a picture with Richard Patrick of Filter. I didn't get to have a long conversation with him since there was a long line at the Starland before STP went up to talk to the guy but I did ask on whether there was a possibility Army of Anymore had plans to reunite and Patrick said that "they would have to rehearse" first. Ironically enough STP and Patrick performed together the next night at the House of Blues in A.C. (Army of Anyone was a supergroup made up of the members of STP sans Weiland and Patrick)

Here are some pictures below as well as the video review:

rsz_1186295_10151635452526966_1132894959_n.jpg
- A very blurry picture of me and Stone Temple Pilots guitarist Robert DeLeo

rsz_970990_10151636031461966_1682436967_n.jpg
- Me and Filter frontman Richard Patrick

- AlternativeNation's fan reaction video to Chester Bennington as new STP frontman/video review.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Saw a walking stick last week...haven't seen one in forever.

But they've seen you! I bet we pass these things all the time and have no clue.

You sure you aren't seeing crane flies? These things are 3-4" and are usually found on walls near doors on patios and such.

I didn't really inspect it, he quickly met the business end of my salt shotgun. But if I see one again, I'll be sure to do a post-mortem, and I sure hope you're right.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

crane-fly-top-view.jpg

Yeah, I've seen one or two of those.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
i haven't seen a woodpecker before, would like to see

If you live in New Jersey, you've definitely seen them and just didnt know it's a species of woodpecker. Downy woodpeckers are all over the place (I probably dont go 2 or 3 days without seeing one). The one with the red back of the head is a male, the female lacks the red cap. We also have Hairy Woodpeckers, which looks EXACTLY the same as the Downy woodpeckers, with the same sexual dimorphism, they're just 1.5x bigger.

MFD2.JPG

What you may not have seen before is the Pileated Woodpecker, which is the biggest woodpecker in North America. I saw one in Hunterdon County a few months ago, but I tend to only see a few each year.

pileated-woodpecker-male_1421_web1.jpg

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008
image_zps93cf006e.jpg

This is one that frequented my backyard feeder last winter

It was a red bellied woodpecker

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I see all 3 of those woodpeckers in Ohio with the Downey being the most common and the Red headed (or Pileated) the most rare and the Red Bellied (also red headed?) being somewhat more common.

If memory serves, the Red Bellied is unbelievably loud when it pecks. We need a gene therapy to take whatever keeps them from getting concussions and modify ours for sports safety.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Nope, not a NJ native so I haven't seen those species specifically.

In Pitt, wonder if there are any pecking native species around here? Not exactly a wooded area around me either. Have to take a girl wildflower picking or something soon apparently ;)

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
I don't mean to spoil the nature talk, but I cannot decide what to tattoo next my chest or right sleeve. Pick one, help a ***** out. I'm so indecisive and no matter which it is, it'll take about 4 months to complete.

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
chest then sleeve.

That way when you take your shirt off it doesn't look like you're just a wanna-be ink guy who started with the sizzle and not the steak.

Hahah, well put man. Thank you. I already have one entire arm done, so I was really trying to decide what wouldn't look atrocious as it's slowly being completed. It's all very intricate, so it takes quite a while. My left arm alone was 23 hours.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I just put my old bowling ball on my bed trying to find a place for it. My puppy sees it and his eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas. He jumped on the bed and tried to chew on it. I left the room for a second and like the little terror he is it didnt take long for him to find and rip out the finger tips.

Sherseys

Feb 15, 2013
New Jersey
Sounds like my bird. He's rather destructive. I left him alone for a grand total of about a minute and a half and the completely shredded my phone charger. Just really happy it wasn't plugged in.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I did get bit more than usual

Between coaching baseball and hanging out in backyards/outdoors, I got some solid bites throughout the summer....normally never use bug spray but it was almost a necessity this summer for me

I got bitten horribly when I was in India. Bug spray is not a thing over there. I'm convinced the mosquitoes own the country, the humans are just renting it.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Mosquitoes were horrible this year here. They are bad normally but this year we got lots of rain and flooding causing more then usual.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Mosquitoes were horrible this year here. They are bad normally but this year we got lots of rain and flooding causing more then usual.

I noticed that when I was in Vermont last week, mosquito-city.

I had absolutely no flies or mosquitos at my place all summer, because there are 2 barns on the property with squadrons of barn swallows. Each barn swallow eats its' body weight in insects every day. They're like little acrobatic fighter jets. Now that they've taken off for their southern winter vacation, I'm starting to see mosquitos. Come back little barn swallows, come back!!!!! :rant:

barn-swallow-in-flight_48875.jpg

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think I'll be taking a trip to VT with my gf some weekend in October. Good beers, beautiful foliage, and great hiking. Sounds like paradise.

Sherseys

Feb 15, 2013
New Jersey
The mosquitos in my yard were absolutely horrid. They're usually worse at my house cause I have a high water table in the back and every time it rains, the water sits on the top of the grass for days, even if it only drizzles. Perfect mosquito breeding grounds

I hid in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad