OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 193: Baby Names and Aruba Nights

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
who knows what makes love stop or start?…I can’t help but think that now you’re engaged we’re drifting apart

cannot get this song out of my head (hbo rerun yesterday)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The mosquitos in my yard were absolutely horrid. They're usually worse at my house cause I have a high water table in the back and every time it rains, the water sits on the top of the grass for days, even if it only drizzles. Perfect mosquito breeding grounds

I hid in the house

Thermacell really works. The outdoor lantern works great for the patio.

http://www.thermacell.com/

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz

Wow. That's some Journey to the Center of the Earth type ****. Amazing. :amazed:

Hard to believe, yeah. But we also tend not to realize that while we perceive this highly civilized world, humanity hasn't gotten its fingers around everything. At least not in a way that things are well known.

Just think of how there are also tribes in which we (civilization) have never had known contact. It's very difficult to believe, but nevertheless true. Sad part is, we'll soon poison the ecosystem the same way we are Galapagos.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Amazing. Hard to believe this wasn't found until 1991.

That's an amazing story. I would love to do that.

Second best part of the story is the HuffPo bobblehead who thought a Flying Fox was really a fox with wings.

I think I'll be taking a trip to VT with my gf some weekend in October. Good beers, beautiful foliage, and great hiking. Sounds like paradise.

Book for peak now! It's the busiest tourist season up there by far.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Holy ****!

I have to renew my passport, and the fees have gone up > 100%! :rant: :amazed:

It's $140 just for a renewal. I believe I paid $65 for my first passport, and the renewals were even cheaper than that. Money. Sucking. ******.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Holy ****!

I have to renew my passport, and the fees have gone up > 100%! :rant: :amazed:

It's $140 just for a renewal. I believe I paid $65 for my first passport, and the renewals were even cheaper than that. Money. Sucking. ******.

This is why when I travel internationally I call a coyote.

coyote_zps3edfb88d.jpg

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
$140 for renewals?

thats hilarious

It gets better.

The new ones now also cost $140, so there's no discount, but for news ones they then tack on an additional $25 "processing fee", so it really costs $165.

Good to see the government is using the Gillette razor model* :facepalm:

*When Gillette comes out with a brand new, more expensive razor, instead of discounting the old razors they simply raise the price on the old model too.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Wow. That's some Journey to the Center of the Earth type ****. Amazing. :amazed:

Hard to believe, yeah. But we also tend not to realize that while we perceive this highly civilized world, humanity hasn't gotten its fingers around everything. At least not in a way that things are well known.

Just think of how there are also tribes in which we (civilization) have never had known contact. It's very difficult to believe, but nevertheless true. Sad part is, we'll soon poison the ecosystem the same way we are Galapagos.

In addition to that stuff, imagine how much untouched stuff there is at the bottom of the ocean - I'm talking the **** that is 5-6 figures deep in depth that we know little to nothing about

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Sony Music won't let me wait to find out about this other position I'm in consideration for. Really unprofessional imo but I understand that they need an intern asap. No choice really but to take the position. Not a bad thing but the other position was a paid and longer duration, which would of been awesome.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
It gets better.

The new ones now also cost $140, so there's no discount, but for news ones they then tack on an additional $25 "processing fee", so it really costs $165.

Good to see the government is using the Gillette razor model* :facepalm:

*When Gillette comes out with a brand new, more expensive razor, instead of discounting the old razors they simply raise the price on the old model too.

I know this....My brother in law is getting married in Jamaica on Jan 2...Only busiest and most expensive time.
Besides it costing me about $6k for me, wife, and two kids (6&2) i had to get all of us passports....Renewals for the Mrs and I, then new ones for them.

Kids are ONLY $85 each and have to be renewed every 5 years, but no processing fee luckily. Our renewals were $110 each (no card, just book) +$25 process fee.
So 170+50+220 (+$40 for pics at walgreens-bout half price)
so about $480 there. This trip is gonna kill me......

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Kids are ONLY $85 each and have to be renewed every 5 years

So in reality, kids are actually $5 more expensive than adults given the adult passport lasts for 5 years. Did your brother marry a Jamaican girl or did they want to have a destination wedding?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Obviously, many people on this board probably have a similar story to this day but I thought I'd share anyway. I was lucky enough to be in NYC the night before 9/11 for a Yankee-Red Sox game that I never got to see. My dad and I waited for the rain delay to end (it never did) and didn't end up getting out of New York until about 1 AM. So I can say that I was in the city the last time it felt "normal".

I was only in 7th grade at the time, and really had only been to the city a handful of times in my life to either see a Yankees game or do the touristy stuff. My class was not told anything by our principal until about 2 PM when all we were told was "There's been a terrorist attack in New York City". At that age, you really don't think of anything like that. I didn't know what he meant by it and we were left with such a vague feeling.

It wasn't until I was leaving that people who knew what had been going on started talking about the WTC. My father worked in the city and I never knew the location in comparison. I felt sick the entire bus ride home. That'd already been a terrible year in losing 2 family members, so by now, my belief was that if something bad had happened there would be multiple cars in my driveway. Sure enough, there were several and I sprinted into the house. Thankfully, somehow, my father was able to get out of the city but my whole family said I was pale as a ghost assuming the worst as soon as I opened the door.

I still have such a tough time coming to grips with what took place 12 years ago. I can at least say that I was very lucky that my father made it home and I hope everyone here was as lucky as I was.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Apple may be crafting a whole new marketing niche for consumer products going forward - big brother proofing? In light if the NSA sniffing scandal and digital tracking, they sure did call out the A7 "enclave" and storing your data securely on that chip and nowhere else pretty loudly...

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/videos/#video-touch

The touch ID is pretty cool regardless but I can see this differentiation on privacy/security becoming more and more common in advertising in the wake of the last year's leaks on national security monitoring activities.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
4th grade. My father worked at the time for AON on floor 90-99 (forgot the exact floor) in the South Tower. Fortunately, he was running late but decided to go home after the first plane had hit. He was a manager and was with co-workers who didn't take his advice and decided to go up to their floor. Last time he saw them. He was lucky to get a ferry to Hoboken. Very grateful he had gotten out.

Since I go to school at Pace I see the Freedom Tower everyday. Even more so since my friend lives very near there. Amazing how it has grown over the three years I've been in the city.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The touch ID is pretty cool regardless but I can see this differentiation on privacy/security becoming more and more common in advertising in the wake of the last year's leaks on national security monitoring activities.

At this point I assume I'm only not being monitored when I'm in my bedroom or bathroom.

Or. AM. I? :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad