OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 189: Remembering Mogilny 100 Years From Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The fact that the turkey almost became a symbol of America also cracks me up a little.

Benjy had it right! He wanted to arm the Continental Army with longbows and make the Turkey the Nation Symbol. Franklin was brilliant!

That's one of those oft-repeated things that isnt actually true. Franklin only mentioned that in a private letter to a family member or friend (cant remember who it was to), it was never officially proposed or lobbied for etc...

It's not too late. Depending on there area there are lots of leftover permits available...

Wow! I didn't realize it was so easy to get a turkey permit in NJ. IIRC, it used to be tough, so I guess they've really relaxed it. There's even some zones with "A" block permits left. I just assumed it was still tough since they call it a "lottery".

But it's too late for me since I just moved to New Jersey. I have to take the "Hunter Education Course" this summer, and I'm in the process of getting my FID because the only shotgun I own is a tactical defense shotgun, which is obviously not suitable for turkey (unless the turkey attacks you at close range of course!).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's one of those oft-repeated things that isnt actually true. Franklin only mentioned that in a private letter to a family member or friend (cant remember who it was to), it was never officially proposed or lobbied for etc...

Wow! I didn't realize it was so easy to get a turkey permit in NJ. IIRC, it used to be tough, so I guess they've really relaxed it. There's even some zones with "A" block permits left. I just assumed it was still tough since they call it a "lottery".

But it's too late for me since I just moved to New Jersey. I have to take the "Hunter Education Course" this summer, and I'm in the process of getting my FID because the only shotgun I own is a tactical defense shotgun, which is obviously not suitable for turkey (unless the turkey attacks you at close range of course!).

You mean the turkey? Because he definitely suggested the longbow.

I hope you live in a FID friendly town...I've heard horror stories about some towns giving the run-around and taking forever to grant them... The story usually goes something like this; You need to get fingerprinted and the only time available is on Wednesday from 2:05 to 2:25PM and the next appointment available is 6 months from now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's a lot easy to get a turkey permit now than it was say 5 or 6 years ago. It still is technically a lottery but the areas get less applicants than available permits now. They essentially increased almost all areas quotas.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Finally closed the case yesterday and got final item value fee credited to my account. I couldn't even leave negative feedback on the guys profile.

I just looked at his feedback and a handful of sellers left "positive" feedback saying he's a deadbeat buyer and doesn't pay for things. Annoyed that eBay doesn't do more to fix this kind of stuff.

Once upon a time (about ~8 years ago and prior) there was value in EBAY's feedback system.

But bad feedback is bad for EBAY's business, and they made several alterations that make it difficult to leave feedback (like you encountered). They've also made it VERY difficult to detect illegal "Shill Bidding", under the guise of "privacy protection", which is BS. I know quite a bit about EBAY and could go on, but the point is "100% positive feedback" used to mean something, now it's common.

You mean the turkey?

Yea.

I hope you live in a FID friendly town...I've heard horror stories about some towns giving the run-around and taking forever to grant them... The story usually goes something like this; You need to get fingerprinted and the only time available is on Wednesday from 2:05 to 2:25PM and the next appointment available is 6 months from now.

I'm in the country, so I dont anticipate a problem. Like a common criminal, I go in for the finger-printing tomorrow. The laws are moronic, and frankly, illegal. There are some cases in court right now advancing against them that do hold some promise. I should have just bought the shotgun I want before I moved here.

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
That stinks. Were you forced into a new job?

Somewhat. My company is going down the toilet and probably won't be here in the next month. I wanted to use this as an opportunity to get out of the field I'm in and try something different, but I got suckered over to another company doing similar stuff for a hefty raise. At least I'll have more $ to do the things that I like to do.

I applied for a job in New Zealand, but didn't even get a call back. :(

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Somewhat. My company is going down the toilet and probably won't be here in the next month. I wanted to use this as an opportunity to get out of the field I'm in and try something different, but I got suckered over to another company doing similar stuff for a hefty raise. At least I'll have more $ to do the things that I like to do.

It's a fine line to tow between making enough money to be happy, but doing something that actually makes you happy.

Good luck dude.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

When I was trying to figure out what I wanted (I never did) and things got a little unpredictable, I would always take time off...You don't need much...Maybe three or 4 days to go someplace...The mountains or the ocean usually for me -- Then I make a 6 month plan in my head while fishing... It worked really well to keep sane and tame.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I just sold an old iPhone 4 on ebay I had laying around. Auction ended yesterday..

My question is do you wait for them to send the money and then ship the item?

Good God, yes! Never send something if they havent paid or you will be S.O.L. if they're a thief.

I sold my Samsung Galaxy S last month on EBAY and was amazed I got $130 for it (only cost me $150 when it was brand new).

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
When I was trying to figure out what I wanted (I never did) and things got a little unpredictable, I would always take time off...You don't need much...Maybe three or 4 days to go someplace...The mountains or the ocean usually for me -- Then I make a 6 month plan in my head while fishing... It worked really well to keep sane and tame.

Steph and I are going to Hawaii for a week at the end of May (before I start the new job). I may not come back.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Good God, yes! Never send something if they havent paid or you will be S.O.L. if they're a thief.

I sold my Samsung Galaxy S last month on EBAY and was amazed I got $130 for it (only cost me $150 when it was brand new).

Definitely. Yeah I got 175 for an iPhone 4 which I was happy about...

Couple that with selling my Galaxy note II soon and I'll make a good haul off phones. Ha

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I just sold an old iPhone 4 on ebay I had laying around. Auction ended yesterday..

My question is do you wait for them to send the money and then ship the item?

always wait for payment, and if the payment is non-standard you wait a few days to ship it. I only accept instant payment via paypal and do nothing outside the US/Canada for shipping and then always ship with delivery confirmation and signature for anything over $50 or so. Not taking any chances.

My favorite was selling my old PS3 with a bunch of games and accessories to some lady who wanted it because it was the backwards compatible PS3 that had the PS2 chip built in. She asks me a bunch of questions and after she bought it now, then starts asking about warranty and what if it stops working two weeks after she gets it... sigh. I thought for sure I was going to either not get paid or get a revoked payment a few weeks later.

Luckily nothing ever came of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad