OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 185: Implied oral consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
haha nice, yea Black Bear was the first bar I went to when I first went drinking down there

Unfortunately instead of coming home with a souvenir mug, I came home with a nice big bar tab receipt

hate when that happens. I did most of my drinking leading up to Hoboken so I had a reasonable tab.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
fixing up your resume and looking for jobs all day sucks SO much. 9 straight hours in front of a computer screen.

if anyone recently went through the process please drop me some advice.

Just keep at it. You'll have a lot of disappointments but if you stick with it, you'll find something. Don't be to picky either. In this economy you have to be willing to compromise a bit. I took a job at a factory operating a machine because nothing in my field was open at the time. Within 6 months I moved up to a quality control position making 45000 a year and I actually really like it. This is a person with a Fisheries Science degree from Penn State mind you. Not even close to my field of study, but no doubt the mere fact I have a degree allowed me to move up so fast.

Just try to find something that gives a wide range of options. Something where the experience you gain will allow you many options should it not work out with that particular company or organization. Something that will allow you to move up a salary ladder. Essentially something that's not a dead end job.

holikwillfindyou

Jan 19, 2010
booville
Just keep at it. You'll have a lot of disappointments but if you stick with it, you'll find something. Don't be to picky either. In this economy you have to be willing to compromise a bit. I took a job at a factory operating a machine because nothing in my field was open at the time. Within 6 months I moved up to a quality control position making 45000 a year and I actually really like it. This is a person with a Fisheries Science degree from Penn State mind you. Not even close to my field of study, but no doubt the mere fact I have a degree allowed me to move up so fast.

Just try to find something that gives a wide range of options. Something where the experience you gain will allow you many options should it not work out with that particular company or organization. Something that will allow you to move up a salary ladder. Essentially something that's not a dead end job.

awesome feedback man, thank you. im happy that you managed to move up in the company in such a short amount of time. its inspirational, and you've definitely given me some hope :laugh:

i just feel like im still living paycheck to paycheck. thats why i've finally bit the bullet and started throwing my resume out there. ive worked in sales since i began my first job (still working on a college degree) and i'd love to have a management position somewhere. You bring up a great point about dead end jobs. you can sense one from a mile away. right now im a graphic designer at a party store and it sucksssss. wedding invitations for 40 hours a week? i just cant do it anymore haha

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
awesome feedback man, thank you. im happy that you managed to move up in the company in such a short amount of time. its inspirational, and you've definitely given me some hope :laugh:

i just feel like im still living paycheck to paycheck. thats why i've finally bit the bullet and started throwing my resume out there. ive worked in sales since i began my first job (still working on a college degree) and i'd love to have a management position somewhere. You bring up a great point about dead end jobs. you can sense one from a mile away. right now im a graphic designer at a party store and it sucksssss. wedding invitations for 40 hours a week? i just cant do it anymore haha

I know what you mean. I felt like I was spinning my tires. Working seasonally year after year with the Fish and Boat Commission waiting for something permanent to open. Sending my resume out all over the country (almost got a job in Alaska) and being beaten to the position by people with Masters or higher degrees. Let down after let down after let down. I went to Dixie with the intent of just working there for a few months until the next PFBC season. I saw a QC position open and figured I might as well give it a shot. All the previous interviews I had for positions I didn't get came in handy as I nailed the interview. Sure enough I got the job and am now making more than a full time Biologist 1 does with PFBC. It's relatively enjoyable work too. Not nearly as fun as PFBC, but the peace of mind I have now makes me feel so much better. I also feel it opens up a lot more opportunities for me than I would have had in my original field. Anyone that manufactures anything needs a Quality Controller. I have some previous supervisory experience too so maybe someday I can move to QC supervisor somewhere. Can't say I've completely turned my back on my original field though. For now, it's just nice not to have to worry where money will come from and to feel like the experience I'm gaining will allow me to move up and make more.

Just applied to be part of the Devils ice crew haha

Good luck!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
btw seattle does have one of its own:

1rahag.jpg

not a whole lot of activity though..sometimes you can see an elevator rising or the space needle lighting up, but thats pretty much it.

its still the best place i know to have some tossed salad and scrambled eggs

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
fixing up your resume and looking for jobs all day sucks SO much. 9 straight hours in front of a computer screen.

Sucks dude, nothing you can do but keep plugging away. They say trying to find a job in this economy IS a full-time job, so maybe detach yourself after 7 or 8 hours. You'll probably keep your sanity better and be more refreshed for the next day.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ

That's such a nice read. It really is inspirational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad