OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Has anyone taken a flight recently? I am considering it but not sure...

was wondering what the situation was... like protocols, crowds and that sort of stuff. Been looking stuff up online and besides the normal distancing and mask precautions, it doesn't seem like much of anything else is all that different?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

was wondering what the situation was... like protocols, crowds and that sort of stuff. Been looking stuff up online and besides the normal distancing and mask precautions, it doesn't seem like much of anything else is all that different?

I have not but I know Delta is the main airline that's continuing to keep open the middle seats and this should help a bit, has a list of what all the airlines are doing protocol wise...

Which US airlines are blocking middle seats?

Reactions: JimEIV

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

Flew from Newark to Denver on United in October and didn't notice anything different other than masks.

I personally felt fine flying. People in the airport respected space and it was a million times less crowded.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What the...

I've come to accept the late afternoon, 4pm meetings, but 5:30 am is pushing it a bit. It's because we have hourly shift workers as part of this meeting and they need to come in 30 minutes before their shift, so I get that. But it would be nice to schedule a separate salary team member meeting.

That said, if you have a position in manufacturing, whether hourly or salary, you get used to wild schedule fluctuations.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I've come to accept the late afternoon, 4pm meetings, but 5:30 am is pushing it a bit. It's because we have hourly shift workers as part of this meeting and they need to come in 30 minutes before their shift, so I get that. But it would be nice to schedule a separate salary team member meeting.

That said, if you have a position in manufacturing, whether hourly or salary, you get used to wild schedule fluctuations.
I'm spoiled with my scheduling but that's awful. What time do you normally start?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm spoiled with my scheduling but that's awful. What time do you normally start?

I have a lot of flexibility there, but I'm am a morning person and am usually on line by 5:30 am if working remotely and if in the plant I'm generally there by 6 am. I'm not going to be ready for a meeting at 5:30 though. But I've gone to the plant to lead trainings or troubleshoot systems much earlier than 5:30.

I just didn't realize until today that the 530 meeting was tomorrow morning. I love what I do so it makes crazy schedules easier. And inevitably as we grow I will move into a more regimented, corporate role as you would expect of someone in the Supplier Quality field. For now, I do a lot of things outside my title that tie me to the plant and thus, to some extent, the crazy manufacturing schedule.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Working for a school is confusing now.

They always email us before snowstorms to get ready for announcements re: the weather. They did that now, with the caveat of "...but I mean, since everybody is working or learning from home....". RIP snowdays.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I just love when someone schedules a 5:30 am meeting...
I didn't even know there WAS a 5:30 in the morining.

...I'm am a morning person and am usually on line by 5:30 am if working remotely and if in the plant I'm generally there by 6 am.
I HATE you :D

Current snow prediction here is 20-24 inches. This is very exciting!
Last I heard forecast was 15 inches. I generally enjoy the first shovel-able snowfall of the season, but this may end up being a bit excessive.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I've flown twice during COVID, most recently two weeks ago. Both with Delta and it's actually been the best experience I've had traveling.

-Masks required
-Very low density (like 30-40% capacity)
-Middle seats open (I have had the entire row to myself on every flight)
-Boarding from the back first
-Given an alcohol wipe as you enter the plane
-Water and snacks come in sealed bags

Now the airports vary from state to state so you might want to check how they're doing check ins and TSA, but I felt very comfortable flying on Delta. They were a little bit more expensive than flying Southwest or American (about $20 more). I tested negative after both trips.

That being said, I picked my trip to deliberately avoid both the Thanksgiving and Christmas rushes. I'm not sure what it would be like at the airports trying to fly the week of Christmas or right after.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I've flown twice during COVID, most recently two weeks ago. Both with Delta and it's actually been the best experience I've had traveling.

-Masks required
-Very low density (like 30-40% capacity)
-Middle seats open (I have had the entire row to myself on every flight)
-Boarding from the back first
-Given an alcohol wipe as you enter the plane
-Water and snacks come in sealed bags

Now the airports vary from state to state so you might want to check how they're doing check ins and TSA, but I felt very comfortable flying on Delta. They were a little bit more expensive than flying Southwest or American (about $20 more). I tested negative after both trips.

That being said, I picked my trip to deliberately avoid both the Thanksgiving and Christmas rushes. I'm not sure what it would be like at the airports trying to fly the week of Christmas or right after.

I had the same experience. Flew out to Utah a couple times on Delta and it's been pretty great experiences as far as flying goes.

I've liked Delta even before Covid though. Pleasant experiences ever time I've flown them.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I flew United yesterday out of Newark. The airport was very quiet, I pretty much walk straight through security. I was behind 3 people. The flight was pretty much full. I didn't mind because I had the first seat on the plane.

Welp, It's just about 6:30am and I got fish to chase.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I had the same experience. Flew out to Utah a couple times on Delta and it's been pretty great experiences as far as flying goes.

I've liked Delta even before Covid though. Pleasant experiences ever time I've flown them.

Delta is awesome, I wish they had more flights out of Newark. United is garbage

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I have been disappointed the last three/four years with the amount of snow we HAVEN'T gotten by me. I want one good one per year and we haven't gotten any. It sucks. The infamous I-95 like really is true.

Reactions: Darkauron

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
131100986_10158966332269583_4349784098304125703_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad