OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
NYPD are terrorizing the city.

Convenient we don't see what happened prior to this. Maybe the dude on the bike instigated it, we weren't there, we don't know the whole story. Now I'm sure there are cops instigating shit and doing exactly this, but I refuse to believe it's all of them. Just like how I'm sure protesters are starting shit, but obviously not all of them.

As a society we all should challenge ourselves to reserve all judgement on specific instances unless we actually witness it ourselves. We get ourselves in trouble because we don't challenge what we see or hear in order to find the whole story. We just take what we're fed and run with it down a rabbit hole no matter if it ends up being true or not.

We all need to be better at this.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
This thread on Twitter is also illuminating:

Convenient we don't see what happened prior to this. Maybe the dude on the bike instigated it, we weren't there, we don't know the whole story.

One guy on a bike is trying ride away and three thugs are beating him with batons. How can you possibly "both sides" this?

Reactions: Darkauron

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Convenient we don't see what happened prior to this. Maybe the dude on the bike instigated it, we weren't there, we don't know the whole story. Now I'm sure there are cops instigating shit and doing exactly this, but I refuse to believe it's all of them. Just like how I'm sure protesters are starting shit, but obviously not all of them.

As a society we all should challenge ourselves to reserve all judgement on specific instances unless we actually witness it ourselves. We get ourselves in trouble because we don't challenge what we see or hear in order to find the whole story. We just take what we're fed and run with it down a rabbit hole no matter if it ends up being true or not.

We all need to be better at this.

In this day and age, if the cops were 100% in the wrong, there would be more video. I find it rather convenient for BOTH SIDES of any dispute that whichever side IS at fault never seems to have or want to provide video evidence.

Reactions: Davegarri

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Oh man. I'm going to get completely flamed for this but...

I don't exactly get why this has been considered a racial issue. The cop used to work with the guy he killed, he's married to an Asian woman, and of the 3 other cops, one was black and one was Asian.

My gut feel is that it's more of a personal grudge than something racially motivated.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
That's one example. Don't paint every encounter with a broad brush.

That's one example of what's been happening every night in NYC in multiple locations since this started. That brutality and indifference is what happened at the biggest, most visible protest in Brooklyn last night. It's bad enough that the mayor's staff are revolting against him because he can't reign in the cops.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
This thread on Twitter is also illuminating:

One guy on a bike is trying ride away and three thugs are beating him with batons. How can you possibly "both sides" this?

Because we didn't see what happened beforehand and therefore dont know what led up to it.

If you didnt, please read my entire post and don't stop after the first sentence. Otherwise you are sort of proving my point that as a society we rush to judgement way too quickly and dont question things to get the whole picture.

Now, is it totally possible this dude is minding his own business riding his bike and the cops all just started beating his ass? 100%. But isnt it also possible this dude was throwing stuff at the cops, or saying something to set them off? Totally. We just dont see that because of how it was cut. Therefore, I reserve judgement on this situation until I see more footage and I'm not going to make a baseless claim that the NYPD is terrorizing the population of NYC.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
There's literally hundreds of videos of cops doing just that, reporters on the ground saying the same thing, the Public Advocate of NYC experiencing the same thing last night in person, and the Mayor's staff revolting against him for just that reason, but okay.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I know this thread says not about covid but looking at some of the twitter threads included here it's amazing how many people don't seem to really care about it anymore, news media included. With as many people that have been out and together it's going to be interesting to see if the numbers rise or don't rise.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I've seen countless THREAD's full of posts of cops just assaulting peaceful protesters and it's disgusting.

The most damning one was a cop already on top of someone and another comes and visibly forces their baton into the civilians' hands I guess to try and show cause for their unnecessary force. f***ing sickening.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I've seen countless THREAD's full of posts of cops just assaulting peaceful protesters and it's disgusting.

The most damning one was a cop already on top of someone and another comes and visibly forces their baton into the civilians' hands I guess to try and show cause for their unnecessary force. f***ing sickening.

I've seen countless threads full of videos of protestors throwing bricks, molotov cocktails, and 2x4s at cops, reporters, and bystanders. All protestors must be thugs then. DISGUSTING.

See how this works? Dont judge an entire population of people because of the actions of few.

Reactions: Billdo

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate ungrateful people.

You try to do something nice for their child (when you know that no one else will) and you get called stupid and screamed at.

That’s so f***ed up.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I've seen countless threads full of videos of protestors throwing bricks, molotov cocktails, and 2x4s at cops, reporters, and bystanders. All protestors must be thugs then. DISGUSTING.

See how this works? Dont judge an entire population of people because of the actions of few.

I never said anything about judging all cops in my post.

And yeah, you know in a riot/non-peaceful protests I would assume things could get out of hand and that protesters do shit like that. I'd also assume that if they get caught they would be reprimanded, which I've seen videos of police catching those people. What I wouldn't expect is at a riot against POLICE BRUTALITY that some cops would think, huh you know what a great solution would be? Let's commit more police brutality against peaceful protesters. That's the last thing I'd think they would do. Yet, here we are with countless examples of some of them doing just that.

The onus should be on the police to keep the peace in these protests, and if things get out of hand then they take action where necessary. Why are some of them the ones to incite the chaos and violence?

Also, those cops that are doing such things - nothing's happening to them. They can go ahead pepper spray someone in the face, hit them with a baton, shoot them with rubber bullets etc and they walk away.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Yeah, it isn't all cops. You clearly have an ugly anti-cop agenda here and it's a bit psycho.

Still not over that speeding ticket you got it seems.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Nah, I have a "I don't want to get beaten by meatheads for exercising my 1st Amendment rights" 'agenda'. I happen to enjoy my constitutional guarantees, thank you very much. If not wanting to see innocent people get beaten by cops is ugly, then I worry about your priorities, not mine.

What's ugly is a group of people sworn to protect our citizenry that is out of the control of a mayor, who, as we speak, was booed off the stage during the George Floyd memorial.

Reactions: Blackjack

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Pointing out every single example of cop abuse when there have been countless peaceful protests in all fifty states over multiple days and acting like that is the majority isn’t any more productive or constructive than acting like every single protester is all the YouTube and Twitter clips of people looting and worse.

There are bad actors on both ends but it doesn’t solve anything to act like that’s all there is. Sure point out every instance of looting or every instance of abuse and make those specific people accountable and hold those local and state governments accountable. But it’s incredibly defeatist to just feed into the stereotypes and say nothing will ever change unless we burn it all down.

Last edited:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
We should hold cops to higher standards than we hold "looters" though. I do.

One is "sworn" to protect us. They receive a great salary to do so, paid for by our taxes. They have a privileged place in society. They should 100% be criticized and punished for breaking the public's trust. The protests are because they haven't been and they still aren't. Watch the goddamned news, reporters are getting shot with rubber bullets for reporting on the protests. That's 3rd world shit.

I'm no fan of looters but at least I'm not beholden to them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Everyone should be subject to the exact same rules, regulations and punishments for breaking those rules and regulations, whether it's a cop or a protestor. The problem isn't that cops should be held to a higher standard (and sure there's an implicit public trust that goes along with their job), it's that too many departments let them slide with far lower standards and puts shield solidarity above law enforcement when it comes to internal punishment.

And yeah a looter isn't held to a 'higher' standard but they should still be held to a standard of law-abiding citizen. Every looter and violent protester does their best to sully what the protests are actually about, which in the end causes people to ignore what the protests are about.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It should be pointed out that on the whole, NJ cops have been handling this with a lot more professionalism then other departments in major cities like NYC, Atlanta, LA, etc.

The Camden PD has also been putting in very progressive reforms since i believe 2012 so they have in fact been trying to walk the walk for a while now.

Cops in these departments should want to hold themselves to higher standards and not let their public outlook be dictated by the racists psychos.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We should hold cops to higher standards than we hold "looters" though. I do.

One is "sworn" to protect us. They receive a great salary to do so, paid for by our taxes. They have a privileged place in society. They should 100% be criticized and punished for breaking the public's trust. The protests are because they haven't been and they still aren't. Watch the goddamned news, reporters are getting shot with rubber bullets for reporting on the protests. That's 3rd world shit.

I'm no fan of looters but at least I'm not beholden to them.
There shouldn't be bad apples in the police field, but there is. You're painting with an extremely broad brush. The vast majority of cops are NOT what you are pushing. The vast majority of protestors are NOT what media wants you to see. There is a middle ground that far too many aren't allowing themselves to see. There is a huge difference between the rather small percentage wise dickhead cops compared to the good ones. Same with the peaceful protesters doing it for the right reasons and the scumbag looters stealing and destroying things for their own benefit.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It should be pointed out that on the whole, NJ cops have been handling this with a lot more professionalism then other departments in major cities like NYC, Atlanta, LA, etc.

Very true. Jersey has been doing it well. Newark's was great! My own city, however...

The Camden PD has also been putting in very progressive reforms since i believe 2012 so they have in fact been trying to walk the walk for a while now.

Cops in these departments should want to hold themselves to higher standards and not let their public outlook be dictated by the racists psychos.

Camden's PD is an example of what a lot of activists are pushing for in regards to police reform. This article is a little dated but describes what they did, for anyone curious: After Police Reform, Crime Falls In Camden, New Jersey - CityLab

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
There shouldn't be bad apples in the police field, but there is. You're painting with an extremely broad brush. The vast majority of cops are NOT what you are pushing. The vast majority of protestors are NOT what media wants you to see. There is a middle ground that far too many aren't allowing themselves to see.

But this is HFBoards human nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad