OT: The Thread About Nothing CCXI: The Thread About Everything Besides Hockey and COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
It's a weird position to be in at my job right now because we're 100% capable of working from home and not impacted at all by coronavirus (tech job for a software company)...but we were recently bought out by a mega corporation that guts companies to bare bones to increase profits and, from what we were told by existing employees of that company, they typically do layoffs every June. So we're both safer than most people right now, but also relatively unsafe.

Sorta <knocks on wood> here but I seem to be in the clear, however they just laid off a SVP of my department. Guy was a technical architect of the software and had been involved in the design of the foundation of the product since the beginning. Over 20 years at the company...laid off in the middle of a f***ing pandemic at the start of what could very well be a depression, largely to avoid having to pay his bonus. A good guy I personally worked with and drank with after work multiple times.

It's weird because up until my company was bought out it was generally a great company to work for, and it's gotten to the point that I f***en hate it. Like I want to give my boss shit out of frustration sometimes, but I 100% know it's completely out of his hands and it's all on these greedy :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
It's a weird position to be in at my job right now because we're 100% capable of working from home and not impacted at all by coronavirus (tech job for a software company)...but we were recently bought out by a mega corporation that guts companies to bare bones to increase profits and, from what we were told by existing employees of that company, they typically do layoffs every June. So we're both safer than most people right now, but also relatively unsafe.

Sorta <knocks on wood> here but I seem to be in the clear, however they just laid off a SVP of my department. Guy was a technical architect of the software and had been involved in the design of the foundation of the product since the beginning. Over 20 years at the company...laid off in the middle of a f***ing pandemic at the start of what could very well be a depression, largely to avoid having to pay his bonus. A good guy I personally worked with and drank with after work multiple times.

It's weird because up until my company was bought out it was generally a great company to work for, and it's gotten to the point that I f***en hate it. Like I want to give my boss shit out of frustration sometimes, but I 100% know it's completely out of his hands and it's all on these greedy :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.
this story is way to common, it's just like that movie Office Space, cut and gut just to raise the stock price twenty five cents

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

As someone in tech, that pisses me of. Upper management does not realize how valuable years of experience are for an engineer in the same company, especially that of an architect. Your company will regret it.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
As someone in tech, that pisses me of. Upper management does not realize how valuable years of experience are for an engineer in the same company, especially that of an architect. Your company will regret it.
unfortunately upper management will move on (with mega bonuses) to destroy another company before they see the destruction they really caused

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
unfortunately upper management will move on (with mega bonuses) to destroy another company before they see the destruction they really caused

Sounds like my company. Pay some guy a lot of money to cut cost, increase profit at the cost of revenue. Each year more and more cuts and R&D reduction. Eventually we'll be squeezed out once our customers catch on and move on to companies who show more promise.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
This is bad, there was a lot of blood pretty quickly and for someone that guys age a fall like that can be deadly...

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
And another f***ing pig stops a guy from helping him. And their statement to the press? That he tripped.

How can you watch that and not mourn the loss of humanity?

Jack booted thugs.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
thats the problem (or the remedy?) EVERYTHING is caught on video. In the old days you'd read about it in the paper the next day and the story was watered down by the time it was in print.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
thats the problem (or the remedy?) EVERYTHING is caught on video. In the old days you'd read about it in the paper and the story was watered down by the time it was in print.

It's both...the fact everything's on film makes it feel worse and even more prevalant than it is cause it's more visceral and you can see everything on a loop. But also the fact everything's on film creates more outside pressure for change. Maybe this will be a tipping point to cause nationwide cleansing and change.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
It's both...the fact everything's on film makes it feel worse and even more prevalant than it is cause it's more visceral and you can see everything on a loop. But also the fact everything's on film creates more outside pressure for change. Maybe this will be a tipping point to cause nationwide cleansing and change.
I hope so, but honestly I've pretty much given up

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah but that old guy could’ve been LOOTING! Don’t paint with such a broad brush guys. It was only dozens of people who ignored a bloody innocent old man so they could go beat another innocent person.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hope so, but honestly I've pretty much given up

You want change? Vote, and vote local elections. Vote in different sherrifs, different district attorneys in these areas where it is happening. That, and protesting is what you can do to send a message. Police aren't going to be held accountable for this kind of culture until their bosses and enabling politicians are made to do so.

This kinda feels like what happened with the priests, when people realized way too many of them were...sexual deviants and it got out in the open, the churches had to start changing. It's not as easy as saying well all cops are bad. Too many are (hell, one is one too many), but to change that you have to change the culture that enables them to be so. You can't arrest them or fire them if the departments won't let them be arrested or fired and politicians are encouraging them to be more millitant.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Yeah but that old guy could’ve been LOOTING! Don’t paint with such a broad brush guys. It was only dozens of people who ignored a bloody innocent old man so they could go beat another innocent person.

The PD or the city (don't remember which) released a statement that the guy had tripped. There is no reforming this system, it is racist and rotten to the core. It must be removed.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The PD or the city (don't remember which) released a statement that the guy had tripped. There is no reforming this system, it is racist and rotten to the core. It must be removed.
I don't understand this? Seriously...it was an old white guy and a white officer...how does race factor into that?

Edit: or is that the "rotten" part? And if they are rotten how do you know when they are racist? If they knocked over and old white man then two blocks later knock over an old black man..is that rotten or the racist? Maybe they are just "rotten"? Or is the first one rotten and the second one racist?

Last edited:

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
If you want to protest... fine (though justice is being served). Once it goes to riot/steal/loot the message is lost and it's not about a protest anymore. 99% of Americans arent racist... 99% of cops are good. You can be both non racist and support cops.

Funny how black lives matter, unless you are talking about the black cops, store owners killed... then their black lives dont count.

Idk how dilousio keeps getting elected, hes one of the worst leaders in America, maybe the world. NYPD hates him (I play hockey with an all NYPD team and have multiple friends as city cops, not one of them supports him)

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Everyone gets the benefit of hindsight and everyone gets the benefit of a video clip that’s doesn’t tell the whole story, yet everyone is quick to criticize when they haven’t been in anything close to these types of situations

Just remember, All y’all loved NYPD etc after 9/11

Now you have mayors like the one in Chicago clamoring for officers to get fired over taking their name tags off and hiding star numbers, instead should be worrying about the 900 homicide that have occurred

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Now you have mayors like the one in Chicago clamoring for officers to get fired over taking their name tags off and hiding star numbers, instead should be worrying about the 900 homicide that have occurred

The two are not mutually exclusive. You can be concerned about their homicide rates and want officers to not hide their names and numbers, which they are legally not allowed to do. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad