OT: The Thread About Nothing CCX: Pet Emporium

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Here's another fantastic example of Hollywood bending to or actually promoting Communist China's goals, this time in a recent children' flic.

Backlash grows over 'Abominable' film's disputed S. China Sea map

Note, ONLY China itself would ever depict this map.

th

Probably not too different when other countries cultures areas of the world bent to the will of America back in the day. Times change

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Probably not too different when other countries cultures areas of the world bent to the will of America back in the day. Times change

Two things:

1) For clarity, such as?

2) America isnt a ruthless totalitarian nation that murders millions, has concentration camps, and brutally punishes (to put it charitably) and/or executes any dissenters. People in China dont even know about any of these controversies, because they're no allowed to "know" about them.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
@Davegarri

Update. Are you the next Andy Reid or Brian Schottenheimer

We've had so many injuries so we're in rough shape. Lost 21-20 last week on a 2pt conversion with a minute left and yesterday was bad, 24-8.

My D1 bound receiver is done for the year, QB done for the year, two OL are done for the year and two backups are done also, I have a 4th string receiver playing tackle, my best running back is nursing a quad pull, and my best remaining receiver is playing QB, it's just bad lol

Can't make excuses though. We're moving the ball still, but then we'll fumble or take a stupid penalty and kill the drive.

Good news is we're recruiting the shit out of the area. Got 5 verbal commits that are studs and should have a few more coming.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Not for nothing but the best people I work with are doing things completely unrelated to their degree field. They got through college, demonstrated competence at *something* then got a job and decided to do something else and got a shot based on interview skills and demonstrated intelligence without direct practical experience then climbed the ladder. Being able to figure things out and having a head for self direction/motivation and pride in your work gets you where you want to go far more than anything save a family run business maybe from my experience.

This isn't stuff like lawyer, doctor, pilot obviously but in the corporate world the saying get the right people on the bus then figure out where they sit later applies 99% of the time and works from my 25 years experience.

Use that as you will for the college debate. For some jobs the degree is just the ticket to enter, once in, they could care less what your grades were, where you went or what you're "good at".

-my .02 cents

I agree with this. I see a lot of this among my colleagues, and I myself am an example. My undergrad degree is in History, and I also completed the pre-med track requirements, but my job as a data scientist has nothing to do with either of those things.

I think people sometimes underestimate how much college (regardless of what you're studying) helps with development of critical thinking skills and exposure to new ideas. For all of the (sometimes valid) criticism of the anti-free speech tendencies of the campus left, on average people who go to college end up with more open minds and more independent thinking ability than before. I think there is value to society in that which goes beyond just GDP growth or whether your plumber is making bank.

Also, to the argument that a college degree should not be a requirement for all professional jobs: I agree in the abstract, many people are not using their degree in the sense that their college classes didn't prepare them for their job, or their job is not in the same field. So it's not really necessary for everyone to go to college.

But like it or not, that is the expectation from employers now, and everyone else you're competing against will have that credential. You can't unilaterally disarm, so to speak.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I agree with this. I see a lot of this among my colleagues, and I myself am an example. My undergrad degree is in History, and I also completed the pre-med track requirements, but my job as a data scientist has nothing to do with either of those things.

I think people sometimes underestimate how much college (regardless of what you're studying) helps with development of critical thinking skills and exposure to new ideas. For all of the (sometimes valid) criticism of the anti-free speech tendencies of the campus left, on average people who go to college end up with more open minds and more independent thinking ability than before. I think there is value to society in that which goes beyond just GDP growth or whether your plumber is making bank.

Also, to the argument that a college degree should not be a requirement for all professional jobs: I agree in the abstract, many people are not using their degree in the sense that their college classes didn't prepare them for their job, or their job is not in the same field. So it's not really necessary for everyone to go to college.

But like it or not, that is the expectation from employers now, and everyone else you're competing against will have that credential. You can't unilaterally disarm, so to speak.
Thank you for being much more eloquent than I probably was in expressing my own personal opinion.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
That show was amazing
How awesome?

Saw them at the rock last year and had a good time but was, I don't know, underwhelmed?

My gf's brother and I were tracking ticket prices while hanging out tonight and considered pulling the trigger once they dropped below $65, but couldn't justify it due to both of us having seen rancid in small clubs in the mid 90's and the misfits on their home turf.

Glad you had a blast.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
How awesome?

Saw them at the rock last year and had a good time but was, I don't know, underwhelmed?

My gf's brother and I were tracking ticket prices while hanging out tonight and considered pulling the trigger once they dropped below $65, but couldn't justify it due to both of us having seen rancid in small clubs in the mid 90's and the misfits on their home turf.

Glad you had a blast.
The Damned being there and knowing it’s 99% likely it’s their last show made it cool. I saw them at the rock too lol.

jerry broke about 10 basses, and gave a working one to someone in a wheel chair that people next to them helped lift up so they could grab it themselves.

seeing them in October, their last show, in the NYC, NJ area along with the Damned (I didn’t bother paying attention to rancid) was wild. Got some good pictures as well. Was GA and at one point almost right against the barricade in front of the stage.

Reactions: Bleedred

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The Damned being there and knowing it’s 99% likely it’s their last show made it cool. I saw them at the rock too lol.

jerry broke about 10 basses, and gave a working one to someone in a wheel chair that people next to them helped lift up so they could grab it themselves.

seeing them in October, their last show, in the NYC, NJ area along with the Damned (I didn’t bother paying attention to rancid) was wild. Got some good pictures as well. Was GA and at one point almost right against the barricade in front of the stage.
Was never a damned fan but that sounds awesome.

Cheers.

Reactions: Auto Pilot

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You forgot Rancid.

;)
last cassette i bought NEW in a record store when it came out was "life wont wait"…ya, 1998

and dig on this… 36:44 in

They were cool at one point and I still listen to their stuff pre-2000 or so, but I haven't listened to anything new that they've put out in about 20 years and Tim Armstrong's voice is completely shot at this point. You could tell by Life Won't Wait that his voice was falling apart. That ultra raspy voice he has is not conducive to vocal longevity.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
What did this boob Damon Lindlehof do to Alan Moore's Watchmen? He turned it into a cringefest.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
riled up some POS shit laywer harassing the staff at a wendys yesterday on an out of town 2 day trip in lindasy ON……..i walk in…him and (his 8 odd year old son?) are the the only two the the place………he's chomping on the phone with someone yelling "im a lawyer! i want these two here fired, ill call the health department!!" …it goes on……..

..im thinking……hell yes …..im gonna f*** with this guy….. i order…..he's pacing around the joint on the phone…..off his rocker….

my burger comes out and i take it to go, just wrapper…no bag…… same time some worker tells the asshole "im going to have to ask you to leave"……we were timed to meet at the door and i say, 'hey buddy…..dont you have anything better to do?" ….ask i walk right past him out the door…

sure enough he gets right up in my face and i laugh…. 'what the f*** are you going to do about it mr. fancy laywer man……nothing'….i turn and walk away he follows i get in my car sitting in the front seat window open eating the burger smiling……

he then insults me by saying, "oh what do we have here! look at this piece of shit that you drive…..what? do you make 2$ an hour?" takes photos of my car and plate and threatens some shit about my car "is done" …..i found it funny actually… then he goes away form the car and gets in my friends face in the middle of the parking lot, hurls multi homophobic insults….all the while all the wendys employees are outside watching this shit show…..

…i start calling him a typical piece of shit lawyer over and over and call my frind back to the car…… we leave driving right past him laughing (at him)

………

……..go to the store for food and beer……

……on the way back to my friends apartment……cops are turning into the wendys as we past the place……but no!

they pull a u-turn and pull me over….just f***ing great!

…anyways they just wanted our story……and even admitted the guy that called my plate in has already had a few calls against him in the last 15 minutes…..

and he did this all in front of his kid

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
riled up some POS **** laywer harassing the staff at a wendys yesterday on an out of town 2 day trip in lindasy ON……..i walk in…him and (his 8 odd year old son?) are the the only two the the place………he's chomping on the phone with someone yelling "im a lawyer! i want these two here fired, ill call the health department!!" …it goes on……..

..im thinking……hell yes …..im gonna **** with this guy….. i order…..he's pacing around the joint on the phone…..off his rocker….

my burger comes out and i take it to go, just wrapper…no bag…… same time some worker tells the ******* "im going to have to ask you to leave"……we were timed to meet at the door and i say, 'hey buddy…..dont you have anything better to do?" ….ask i walk right past him out the door…

sure enough he gets right up in my face and i laugh…. 'what the **** are you going to do about it mr. fancy laywer man……nothing'….i turn and walk away he follows i get in my car sitting in the front seat window open eating the burger smiling……

he then insults me by saying, "oh what do we have here! look at this piece of **** that you drive…..what? do you make 2$ an hour?" takes photos of my car and plate and threatens some **** about my car "is done" …..i found it funny actually… then he goes away form the car and gets in my friends face in the middle of the parking lot, hurls multi homophobic insults….all the while all the wendys employees are outside watching this **** show…..

…i start calling him a typical piece of **** lawyer over and over and call my frind back to the car…… we leave driving right past him laughing (at him)

………

……..go to the store for food and beer……

……on the way back to my friends apartment……cops are turning into the wendys as we past the place……but no!

they pull a u-turn and pull me over….just ****ing great!

…anyways they just wanted our story……and even admitted the guy that called my plate in has already had a few calls against him in the last 15 minutes…..

and he did this all in front of his kid
So a guy is told by his doctor that he has 1 year to live. Upon hearing that, he gets into law school, studies his ass off and manages to pass the bar before his time finally runs out.

On his death bed he's asked "why did you do it?".

With his dying breath, he replies "One less lawyer in the world"

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You just described every decent punk band that's ever existed.

Some genre's just run their course.
I think the same could be said of every band that stays around long enough. I always said the first two Clash albums (and maybe half of London Calling) are better than anything the Sex Pistols ever did, but everything the Sex Pistols ever did (which was very little) was much better than anything the Clash did post-London Calling. The Sex Pistols weren't around long enough to put out awful albums.

Bad Religion still put out good music, but even they have several clunkers and unlistenable songs on almost every record they've put out since the Gray Race and they also released at least two putrid albums in the late 90's, before Gurewitz came back and one in 2010 that was miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad