OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVIII: Limes On A Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Isn't the Wasatch Front technically, like, where everyone in Utah lives?

Yeah, that wouldn't make sense for you.
:laugh:

Correct, and correct.

Still, there are places on the front that are absolutely gorgeous, like Antelope Island State Park, a big island in the Great Salt Lake with wild bison, antelope, deer, etc...

A few pics from last Thursday.

AISP-1.jpg

AISP-2.jpg

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Secondarily, sort of. It was primarily a ski trip (hit Deer Valley twice, Sundance, and Snowbasin).

This was my 3rd trip to Utah in the last 3 years & I've decided we're more Wasatch Back people than Wasatch Front people. The Wasatch Front is like living around Paramus, the Wasatch Back is like living in Hunterdon or Sussex County. That large mountain range basically acts as a wall separating suburban/urban from rural.

I cannot stress enough how much it is BOOMING out there though, and home prices are skyrocketing as a consequence. I'd say homes are just as expensive as they are here, the difference is, instead of paying $14,500 in property tax every year, you're probably paying $2,200. Even towns a bit away from it all like Kamas, Wanship, etc.... you're seeing ranches get bought out & housing developments put up.

The town I like the best so far is Midway. It's near Park City & world class skiing, only 45 mins from downtown Salt Lake City, right by that Provo River I mentioned with trout the size of Cadillacs, sandwiched between 2 national forests & 2 huge lakes, and yet there are creature comforts like Walgreens & Walmart within 10 minutes. Regardless though, that entire Wasatch Back area from east of Orem in the south to east of Ogden to the north is absolute outdoor paradise.
Was in Breckenridge a month ago and I was severely dissapointed with how high end touristy suburban this supposed quaint old skiing town was.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Correct, and correct.

Still, there are places on the front that are absolutely gorgeous, like Antelope Island State Park, a big island in the Great Salt Lake with wild bison, antelope, deer, etc...

A few pics from last Thursday.

AISP-1.jpg
Pictures never do those mountains justice...The Rockies are so gorgeous that some of them don't even look real. And the smell of sage brush...I just love it. I don't know if you can smell it in the winter, I suppose you still can?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What would a super procrastinator be doing on a day like today?

That's right, his taxes.
Done(pretty much anyways, need to recopy and mail out).

Taxes would be so much easier if I did them more then once a year and I didn't have to figure everything out all over again.

Took me a couple hours. But I could definitely get it down to like 15 minutes with practice.

Not that I want to do them more often, but you know what I mean.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Was in Breckenridge a month ago and I was severely dissapointed with how high end touristy suburban this supposed quaint old skiing town was.

Yeah, you got poor info, Breck is pretty wealthy & surely touristy (art galleries, organic this and that, etc...). The closest thing to "quaint" in that area is Loveland, but there's no town there, just an old school skiing mountain. Love that place.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Pictures never do those mountains justice...The Rockies are so gorgeous that some of them don't even look real. And the smell of sage brush...I just love it. I don't know if you can smell it in the winter, I suppose you still can?

Not sure; I dont think I've ever hunkered my nose up to it. I was in deserty areas of Utah back in August, but I didnt notice a smell.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
:)

The Provo is nice....crowded though.

I usually don't fish the first week or so during the season...let the crowds die down... I usually stick to 3D archery in April but this year I have fished a lot. Good year.
The first two weeks are redic. Its like you are on a party boat in some spots. I will wait until the crazies stay home. Then I can go out relax and fish. It is rather stupid for the stamp not to be included it's obvious you are going to trout fish.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I've come to a realization that it's not living 24 miles from my job that makes my commute suck...

It's working in Jersey City that makes my commute suck.

It'll take me 20-25 minutes to get from Journal Square (perhaps longer) to the left turn onto Route 3 from Tonnele Northbound. The remaining 19-20 miles from that point takes roughly the same amount of time, and that's *including* 17's lights and bottlenecks from Hasbrouck Heights to Rochelle Park.

That sucks. Journal Square is just not meant to be driven to. I can't think of anywhere with a worse mismatch of street network and traffic.

The Keynote Speaker for this convention was Vanilla Ice. Who is surprisingly interesting.

My sister has worked with him a few times, booking flights/hotels, and says he's easily the chillest and least diva-ish of the B and C-level celebs she deals with. He goes by Rob.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The first two weeks are redic. Its like you are on a party boat in some spots. I will wait until the crazies stay home. Then I can go out relax and fish. It is rather stupid for the stamp not to be included it's obvious you are going to trout fish.
I have been going to the Ken Lockwood Gorge a lot...even when it is crowded I can find quiet spots but yeah I usually stay away early...

I miss the old trout stamps...when you actually got a stamp. I had all my old stamps in an envelope and I threw them in the garbage by mistake about 6 years ago...when I realized what I did I really felt like I was going cry....so my wife found a guy on eBay that has every year of NJ trout stamps both in Resident and Non Resident and replaced them for me.

Reactions: StvBroDan

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Did you collaborate and listen?

The title of the presentation was "Stop, Collaborate and Listen: [something or another]" and it was about service-oriented team building (We're IT after all). He really leaned into that song. The convention beat everyone to the punchline.

I'd say, worst speaker ever, but I once suffered through Chris Berman. Who is surprisingly arrogant.

Not even remotely. He's apparently really accomplished. Did you know he's had a home-renovating program on DIY Network for ten years?

My sister has worked with him a few times, booking flights/hotels, and says he's easily the chillest and least diva-ish of the B and C-level celebs she deals with. He goes by Rob.

Yeah, if there's one takeaway from this week for me, it's that Vanilla Ice is both more successful and much cooler than anyone would give him credit for.

Reactions: mdj12784

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It is rather stupid for the stamp not to be included it's obvious you are going to trout fish.

Out where I grew up this is true, but what about folks that live by the shore?

I miss the old trout stamps...when you actually got a stamp.

Same; some of them were quite beautiful. IIRC, some years they had contests.

my wife found a guy on eBay that has every year of NJ trout stamps both in Resident and Non Resident and replaced them for me.

You should put them all in order on a black felt background and hang them in a nice picture frame. Simple, cheap project, and it would look awesome on the wall.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
That sucks. Journal Square is just not meant to be driven to. I can't think of anywhere with a worse mismatch of street network and traffic.

Only two places I can think of are Lower Manhattan and Downtown Boston, and even then you might be right if we're talking specifically about the relationship between the subpar capacity of the street network and just how many people attempt to deal with it every day. Most people who work in the Financial District take public transit in, and that's just not the case with Journal Square which is a much more significant employment center than most might think with it essentially being the civic center of Hudson County.

My commute did get better since the 139 Upper Level was reopened and can now avoid JSQ completely to get to the train yard where we park our cars. Saves me like ten minutes every morning.

The only reason I do drive with the knowledge that Journal Square is one of the worst urban traffic hotspots in the states is my free parking in a fenced space with a 24/7 guard booth and the fact that my car still isn't paid off and refuse to pay for NJT (the time difference between car and train is a wash since I need to go to Hoboken and switch to PATH), although I will likely start taking the train once/twice a week once I get the pink slip from Chase.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Having listened to or read about the overwhelming bulk of JOHN and George interviews I am firmly convinced, for now, that while there would have been the odd moment involving three of them that other than the Anthology there would not have been anything approaching a formal project involving the four of them. It largely would have been GEORGE doing the avoiding.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Out where I grew up this is true, but what about folks that live by the shore?

Same; some of them were quite beautiful. IIRC, some years they had contests.

You should put them all in order on a black felt background and hang them in a nice picture frame. Simple, cheap project, and it would look awesome on the wall.

PA has optional buttons you can get now that mimick the old trout stamps. I've been adding it on to my liscence the last few years. They would have a different trout patterns and stuff. Well this year's was just an orange button. Pissed me off. 5 extra dollars for a plain orange button...

Anyway, my new wedge set arrived. It's glorious.

2MxDTdI.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Davegarri

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
PA has optional buttons you can get now that mimick the old trout stamps. I've been adding it on to my liscence the last few years. They would have a different trout patterns and stuff. Well this year's was just an orange button. Pissed me off. 5 extra dollars for a plain orange button...

Anyway, my new wedge set arrived. It's glorious.

2MxDTdI.jpg

an open faced club! the sand wedge!

i couldn’t help but stare at those shafts, are those graphite?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Judging from the picture, I'm guessing GW, SW, LW. @TheUnseenHand must be Mickelson.

48, 54, 60. I do like to play the game like Phil. Always go for the miracle shot!

I golf lefty, but I am most definitely right handed. I bat and shoot lefty as well, but can't throw or write worth a damn with my left hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad