OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVIII: Limes On A Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I need to go buy my trout stamp. Last week while driving to Sundance, I saw a bunch of guys fishing the Provo River, and one of them I saw holding a massive beast, must have been 20" long (brown or cutthroat I imagine, couldnt tell from the road). It reminded me by All-Around Sportsman license doesnt include the stamp, and I'm looking forward to some spring fishing.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

"It has a mass 6.5 billion times that of the Sun. And it is one of the heaviest black holes that we think exists. It is an absolute monster, the heavyweight champion of black holes in the Universe."

that’s unbelievable

OccasionalJointBrownbear-small.gif

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Brother lives in Denver, said it was around 80 degrees yesterday and now he's getting a foot of snow lmao

Utah got 2 feet today and it's still snowing.

Of course, I missed that by 3 days, and 2 days before I got there last week they also got 2 feet. :rant:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Utah got 2 feet today and it's still snowing.

Of course, I missed that by 3 days, and 2 days before I got there last week they also got 2 feet. :rant:

Damn that's brutal!

Was this your trip out there to see what places you'd like to live? What was your favorite?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What would a super procrastinator be doing on a day like today?

That's right, his taxes.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Was this your trip out there to see what places you'd like to live?

What was your favorite?

Secondarily, sort of. It was primarily a ski trip (hit Deer Valley twice, Sundance, and Snowbasin).

This was my 3rd trip to Utah in the last 3 years & I've decided we're more Wasatch Back people than Wasatch Front people. The Wasatch Front is like living around Paramus, the Wasatch Back is like living in Hunterdon or Sussex County. That large mountain range basically acts as a wall separating suburban/urban from rural.

I cannot stress enough how much it is BOOMING out there though, and home prices are skyrocketing as a consequence. I'd say homes are just as expensive as they are here, the difference is, instead of paying $14,500 in property tax every year, you're probably paying $2,200. Even towns a bit away from it all like Kamas, Wanship, etc.... you're seeing ranches get bought out & housing developments put up.

The town I like the best so far is Midway. It's near Park City & world class skiing, only 45 mins from downtown Salt Lake City, right by that Provo River I mentioned with trout the size of Cadillacs, sandwiched between 2 national forests & 2 huge lakes, and yet there are creature comforts like Walgreens & Walmart within 10 minutes. Regardless though, that entire Wasatch Back area from east of Orem in the south to east of Ogden to the north is absolute outdoor paradise.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What would a super procrastinator be doing on a day like today?

That's right, his taxes.

I got married recently, so I did mine early as I wanted to see how it would vary. This also means I did taxes 3 times this year:

1) My taxes
2) My wife's taxes
3) Married taxes

The married option won the day. Holy crap, I had no idea how financially beneficial being married is for tax purposes, combined we saved a bundle.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I got married recently, so I did mine early as I wanted to see how it would vary. This also means I did taxes 3 times this year:

1) My taxes
2) My wife's taxes
3) Married taxes

The married option won the day. Holy crap, I had no idea how financially beneficial being married is for tax purposes, combined we saved a bundle.

Wait til junior comes along

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I need to go buy my trout stamp. Last week while driving to Sundance, I saw a bunch of guys fishing the Provo River, and one of them I saw holding a massive beast, must have been 20" long (brown or cutthroat I imagine, couldnt tell from the road). It reminded me by All-Around Sportsman license doesnt include the stamp, and I'm looking forward to some spring fishing.
:)

The Provo is nice....crowded though.

I usually don't fish the first week or so during the season...let the crowds die down... I usually stick to 3D archery in April but this year I have fished a lot. Good year.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Secondarily, sort of. It was primarily a ski trip (hit Deer Valley twice, Sundance, and Snowbasin).

This was my 3rd trip to Utah in the last 3 years & I've decided we're more Wasatch Back people than Wasatch Front people. The Wasatch Front is like living around Paramus, the Wasatch Back is like living in Hunterdon or Sussex County. That large mountain range basically acts as a wall separating suburban/urban from rural.

I cannot stress enough how much it is BOOMING out there though, and home prices are skyrocketing as a consequence. I'd say homes are just as expensive as they are here, the difference is, instead of paying $14,500 in property tax every year, you're probably paying $2,200. Even towns a bit away from it all like Kamas, Wanship, etc.... you're seeing ranches get bought out & housing developments put up.

The town I like the best so far is Midway. It's near Park City & world class skiing, only 45 mins from downtown Salt Lake City, right by that Provo River I mentioned with trout the size of Cadillacs, sandwiched between 2 national forests & 2 huge lakes, and yet there are creature comforts like Walgreens & Walmart within 10 minutes. Regardless though, that entire Wasatch Back area from east of Orem in the south to east of Ogden to the north is absolute outdoor paradise.

Definitely agree with this. Wasatch front is extremely overcrowded. Still a nice area with lots to do, but if you are used to open space you definitely won't like it.

I never spent too much time around the Park City area, but it is a gorgeous drive. Any idea what the traffic is like through the canyon into/from SLC during rush hour?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Wait til junior comes along

I knew there was a child tax credit, but I've never bothered to look into how much extra you keep.

:)

The Provo is nice....crowded though. I usually don't fish the first week or so during the season...let the crowds die down... I usually stick to 3D archery in April but this year I have fished a lot. Good year.

I guess crowded is subjective, but to me it doesn't seem worse than the South Branch, but I guess by western standards that would be crowded. Where the Provo flows in the national park seems desolate though, I imagine it's mostly mountain brook trout you're catching up there, but I absolutely loved doing that when I lived in Vermont. I'd catch a few 8" to 10" and that would be dinner. This reminds me, I need to get new waders, may have to hit the Cabela's in Hamburg this weekend.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I never spent too much time around the Park City area, but it is a gorgeous drive. Any idea what the traffic is like through the canyon into/from SLC during rush hour?

It's not bad at all, three lanes each direction. Compared to New Jersey rush hour on 78, 287, etc... it's a dream.

Driving in Utah in general is great, I especially appreciate the 70mph and 75mph speed limits.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

Isn't the Wasatch Front technically, like, where everyone in Utah lives? Yeah, that wouldn't make sense for you. :laugh:

Like I know SLC, Provo, and WVC are all pretty close together. That's the extent of my Utah knowledge.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
It's not bad at all, three lanes each direction. Compared to New Jersey rush hour on 78, 287, etc... it's a dream.

Driving in Utah in general is great, I especially appreciate the 70mph and 75mph speed limits.

I've come to a realization that it's not living 24 miles from my job that makes my commute suck...

It's working in Jersey City that makes my commute suck.

It'll take me 20-25 minutes to get from Journal Square (perhaps longer) to the left turn onto Route 3 from Tonnele Northbound. The remaining 19-20 miles from that point takes roughly the same amount of time, and that's *including* 17's lights and bottlenecks from Hasbrouck Heights to Rochelle Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad