OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVII: The sNOwstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
so someone came forward and claimed the 1.5 lotto in south carolina. they are going to remain "anonymous". anyone buy that?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I certainly would if I lived in a state that permitted it (NJ doesn't of course).

but how would we know someone legit won it?

the state was on record saying that they needed this ticket claimed for the tax money it budgeted for. this person waited an entire year with life changing money without spending it? try keeping that secret for an entire year going about your life living paycheck to paycheck working the same crap job? yes i get that everyones situation is different but thats a huge risk.

it is amazing to me that none of these people that claim anonymous are ever found out? no one raises a question when their coworker just ups and leaves? or starts buying new fancy things? when the person does move no one near where they move to asks about them where they are from what do they do? just weird.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
There's a lot of good articles about what to do to stay anonymous if you win the lottery and win somewhere where you can't voluntarily stay anonymous. Sites always put them out when the jackpot goes up to extremely crazy money. To my knowledge, NY is like NJ where you don't have the option.

The long and short of it is to set up some sort of trust then have the trust claim it on your behalf.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I understand the whole wanting to remain anonymous so people don't come out of the woodwork thing, but I'm the kind of asshole who would look forward to telling off people asking for handouts who were shitty friends whom I haven't spoken to in years or had falling outs with.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
the state was on record saying that they needed this ticket claimed for the tax money it budgeted for. this person waited an entire year with life changing money without spending it?

That bit's amazing to me. I'm guessing maybe it's a really old person. I get hiring a lawyer and a CPA, but a few months and I'd be good to go, and itching to spend some $$$.

it is amazing to me that none of these people that claim anonymous are ever found out? no one raises a question when their coworker just ups and leaves? or starts buying new fancy things? when the person does move no one near where they move to asks about them where they are from what do they do? just weird.

Well, there's a difference between and handful of your coworkers and your neighbor finding out, and the national media being put on blast. I'm sure a few people know, but who cares. It's having CNN or NBC camping out on your doorstep and letting every huckster on Earth know who you are that they seek to understandably avoid.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
That bit's amazing to me. I'm guessing maybe it's a really old person. I get hiring a lawyer and a CPA, but a few months and I'd be good to go, and itching to spend some $$$.

I’m guessing whatever investment house wants to win your assets in the future sets you up with a line of credit using the ticket as collateral.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I’m guessing whatever investment house wants to win your assets in the future sets you up with a line of credit using the ticket as collateral.

That is quite possible. I hope so, because if not the person is a complete fool, you'd be wasting millions of dollars on lost interest alone.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Well, there's a difference between and handful of your coworkers and your neighbor finding out, and the national media being put on blast. I'm sure a few people know, but who cares. It's having CNN or NBC camping out on your doorstep and letting every huckster on Earth know who you are that they seek to understandably avoid.

no one can keep a secret esp this day with social media. if someone at my job won the lotto and they wanted to stay unknown i really doubt it would stay unknown. someone would go to the news and report it. i'm not even saying it would be done on purpose. maybe i tell my wife wow this guy won and then she tells someone at her job who repeats it and then someone finally goes to the news

which is why i find it really really weird that (as far as i can tell) EVERYONE who claims privately somehow stay private? to me thats just impossible. 13 people on long island hit for 500 million i think this year and not one person or someone that frequents their business blew the whistle on them?

i'm also not denying that you want to stay private but honestly the first thing i do when i hit for this i would hire armed private guards. pay an off duty town cop to sit at your house you can easily afford it. there are other people in this country who are way richer yet they are out there living their lives without worry of kidnapping or murder. so why is it different for the lotto winners? why are they at risk but other millionaires in the country?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
no one can keep a secret esp this day with social media. if someone at my job won the lotto and they wanted to stay unknown i really doubt it would stay unknown. someone would go to the news and report it. i'm not even saying it would be done on purpose. maybe i tell my wife wow this guy won and then she tells someone at her job who repeats it and then someone finally goes to the news

which is why i find it really really weird that (as far as i can tell) EVERYONE who claims privately somehow stay private? to me thats just impossible. 13 people on long island hit for 500 million i think this year and not one person or someone that frequents their business blew the whistle on them?

i'm also not denying that you want to stay private but honestly the first thing i do when i hit for this i would hire armed private guards. pay an off duty town cop to sit at your house you can easily afford it. there are other people in this country who are way richer yet they are out there living their lives without worry of kidnapping or murder. so why is it different for the lotto winners? why are they at risk but other millionaires in the country?

Well:

-A lot (Maybe most?) of the non-lottery millionaires aren't in the spotlight at all. No one's watching TMZ or reading Gossip blogs to hear what the president of a regional bank is doing in his off-time. And a lot of them also didn't come into an immediate windfall of $200 million. Athletes get contracts that large but get paid over many years. Celebrities earn that much over the course of a number of movies or albums or TV seasons. Lottery winners get it all dumped on them at once. 0-60 immediately. The lifestyle change is dramatic and immediate.

-Other millionaires, especially famous ones, do have security guards and entourages and such.We just don't care

Reactions: New Jersey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
If I won I would absolutely want to remain unknown. I would probably drop off the face of the planet, change my phone number, move, hell maybe even change my name. Only people who would even know about it would be a small handful of family and friends that I would help out.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

This is the winner. I’ve heard of cases where banks will hold the confirmed winning ticket in a safety deposit box while allowing the owner of said to ticket to borrow money based on the future winnings.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If I won I would absolutely want to remain unknown. I would probably drop off the face of the planet, change my phone number, move, hell maybe even change my name. Only people who would even know about it would be a small handful of family and friends that I would help out.

The 21 year old ( I think maybe younger) guy who won last years 1.1 billion out of Florida or whatever has done quite the opposite and shows off on social
Media. Apparently he’s constantly taking private jets to events like the Super Bowl and wrestle mania. I don’t really follow social media so I don’t see any of it thankfully :laugh:

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
until someone is revealed i will still question that legit people are winning these

LOL, wait, wut? You have a conspiracy theory about Mega Millions & PowerBall?

:laugh:

Robert Bailey wins $343 million Powerball. He's still playing the lottery - CNN

First sentence of this one literally starts with the winner's name.

And this one, right here in Jersey, which is actually a feel-good story among today's miserable news cycles: Man wins $273 million Mega Millions jackpot after forgetting ticket

Reactions: Darkauron

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
biggest bull shit ever…daylight savings time….

so. what?

3 months of early sunset …dark at 5 in december?

just stay on this time zone and be gone with the smoke detector blurbs….

….imagine living in costa rica where the sun sets at the same time all year, every year, give or take 40 minutes or so

…dark at around 6….too bad really

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad