OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVII: The sNOwstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
why do some of your jimmies get so rustled whenever there is a state of emergency called? do you guys not know what that means?

Reactions: Darkauron

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
NYC canceled school for tomorrow.

I never work from home, but I've spent the past year rearranging my desk at home to be more work-from-home friendly. Haven't had the opportunity to work from home yet since. (We only can with inclement weather.) Tomorrow would be my first day, but I made a physical therapy appointment before work two blocks from my office. Bah.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
why do some of your jimmies get so rustled whenever there is a state of emergency called? do you guys not know what that means?

State of Emergency | Frequently Asked Questions | NJOEM

The declaration empowers the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management (NJOEM) to act on behalf of the Governor to employ the resources and assets of State, local and private agencies to provide immediate assistance to localities. Typically, the New Jersey State Police, National Guard, and departments of Environmental Protection, Transportation and Health are called upon rather quickly to respond to the event, and other departments are added as needed.
After the Governor issues the declaration, NJOEM puts the State Emergency Operations Plan into effect. It may also activate the State Emergency Operations Center to full 24-hour staffing to coordinate and direct State response and recovery operations.

The horror!

Reactions: Darkauron

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

The declaration empowers the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management (NJOEM) to act on behalf of the Governor to employ the resources and assets of State, local and private agencies to provide immediate assistance to localities. Typically, the New Jersey State Police, National Guard, and departments of Environmental Protection, Transportation and Health are called upon rather quickly to respond to the event, and other departments are added as needed.
After the Governor issues the declaration, NJOEM puts the State Emergency Operations Plan into effect. It may also activate the State Emergency Operations Center to full 24-hour staffing to coordinate and direct State response and recovery operations.

The horror!

You realize all of this is completely unnecessary, right?

Not only that, but as countless people have pointed out it is counterproductive in, The Boy Who Cried Wolf fashion by desensitizing the hoards to ACTUAL emergencies. Which partially explains why some people stay at the beach during a Cat IV Hurricane due to the 1001 previous storms of 4 mph declared as a State of Emergency, etc....

Reactions: Big Drive

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So much this.....

School-s-Closed2019.jpg

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

The horror!

wait but then it goes on to say:

During the State of Emergency, all murder is legal and martial law is declared. Raping and pillaging is strongly encouraged.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
So much this.....

School-s-Closed2019.jpg

Fun fact: When I was an undergrad at NYU, they hadn't had a snowday in over ten years, and were quite proud of that fact. More than once I trudged along through three feet of snow to get to class.

One day, they finally realized that a lot of people who attended, and worked for, NYU came in from NJ, Long Island, and Connecticut - including the numerous professors who couldn't afford to live within walking distance of campus. Professors were the first people who were like "Hey, if we can't make it, maybe other people can't too?" (This is the value of a PhD, apparently; critical thinking), so they would unilaterally cancel their own classes. The university administration finally caught on and started issuing snow days, in my senior year of college.

Reactions: New Jersey

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Sucks the storm came so early. If it hit 3 hours later I would be sitting at home working remotely, but nope. Got 7 inches and it was plowed by the time I woke up. Sucks, man

Reactions: NjDevs4994

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
We got like 3"

I'm not shocked. As I mentioned before the storm, I couldnt figure out how/why some were predicting 10" for NYC, didnt make any sense to me versus what the various models output depicted.

Here in eastern Hunterdon County we got about 6", so the models handled it pretty well, and near-term pretty much nailed it here given the last ones predicted 7" from e.PA through c.NJ.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Why do all swim trunks have that mesh ball hammock in them?

I don't know, but it annoys me, so I usually wear board shorts as a result.

Though I got a short bathing suit this past summer just to try it, and that mesh is crucial in keeping me from getting indecent exposure charges.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hope he does beat, hell I hope everyone with cancer beats that ****. It's the worst.

Yes it is. I lost my mom in December after her second battle with cancer. It really does wake you up to the fact that, in the grand scheme of things, we're only here for a short while. I know I look at life differently now than I did before seeing up close and personal what cancer does, to not only the person with it, but to the people around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad