OT: The Thread About Nothing CCIX: VIEWS [from the 201]

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I still can’t f***ing believe that the garbage truck in Union City that crashed down onto 495 didn’t land on a car and no one got killed. Holy f***ing shit, that’s something that you would have literally ZERO warning for, imagine driving on 495 West past the Helix and a random ass garbage truck crashes through the parapet above outta nowhere. Terrifying thought.

Garbage truck overturns near NYC Lincoln Tunnel, injuring at least 12

Reactions: tr83

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Although I did not know, I figured, I was joshing.

It's (and this is 100% IMO) a very passive aggressive flag, as it basically uses the crown's flag and puts a 13 united states spin on it. On one hand, that actually makes perfect sense since many of them still considered themselves "British" and not American, hell, for plenty that was the goal, not a separate nation, but just representation in government.

Eventually, however, a 13 star pattern was mandated and the one in that Lego parody went bye-bye, precisely for looking "too English" as it were. CRAZY FACT? The first American flags werent mandated in uniformity, they just had to have "13 stars against a blue field", and since almost none of them survive, we dont really know.

I fly what is commonly known as the "Trumbull Flag", because IMO it was likely the original common American flag carried in battle. I believe this because Trumbull was an artist known for his uber-analness, and it is proven he got American, British, and French uniforms very correct, down to facings & buttons, as well as the fact that he was present at several early American battles. If this artist took the time to get various uniforms correct, am I to believe he just "guessed" on flags? I doubt it. That said, he did make some minor flag goofs in some of his paintings, so we will likely never know, but this is the flag I'll fly tomorrow:

RareFlags_IAS_00111.jpg

1920px-Surrender_of_Lord_Cornwallis.jpg

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
You get what you pay for.

Again, I personally have never had a poor experience with Airbnb, but a substandard effort - such as the one described - on their part would have me calling Starwood, rci, whoever, immediately after f'ing with my trip like that.

4 hours, no pool, and a 50% off coupon for a property that wasn't even being rented? That's trash service any way you slice it.

Pay the extra and put them on blast about it.

It really was, but at that point it was hot and we were a veritable buffet for mosquitoes and would have taken anything.

It's just another part of the trend of these "disruptive" companies. Uber and AirBnb, etc. are great when they work, but good luck when you have to get customer service on the phone.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It really was, but at that point it was hot and we were a veritable buffet for mosquitoes and would have taken anything.

It's just another part of the trend of these "disruptive" companies. Uber and AirBnb, etc. are great when they work, but good luck when you have to get customer service on the phone.

I love when people call a new technology disruptive. I prefer to use innovative instead

Reactions: New Jersey

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I see that you're from Finland and I was just kidding around, you're doing fine celebrating "our" 4th of July ! :thumbu:

Haha, no probs. I love country music, beer, American cars, hockey and BBQ, so what a i doing still in the Nordics? Well, luckily we got all of that except the cars, but German cars are alright for the time being (i drive a 2002 e46 BMW... :laugh: )

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I remembered that i have red solo cups. Am i doing it right now? Bud from a red solo cup?

Fyi, I am Finnish and live in Helsinki :laugh:
I agree with (Oops, meant) 29th Pick in regards to the beer and the music...

But you are probably doing the Americana thing better then either of us. Can't get much more American then Bud and Toby Keith.

The red solo cup is a nice touch as well. Just remember to recycle.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt Andy Poo

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I agree with Andy Poo in regards to the beer and the music...

But you are probably doing the Americana thing better then either of us. Can't get much more American then Bud and Toby Keith.

The red solo cup is a nice touch as well. Just remember to recycle.;)
Cheers! Defs recycling, we actually got a plastic recycling can to our building this year.

Switched from Toby to Johnny Paycheck!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Haha, no probs. I love country music, beer, American cars, hockey and BBQ, so what a i doing still in the Nordics? Well, luckily we got all of that except the cars, but German cars are alright for the time being (i drive a 2002 e46 BMW... :laugh: )
I drive a Honda.:)

But speaking of American Cars. What do we all think about the mid engine Corvette?

I thought it cool, but very much a euro looking supercar. My Vette buddies pretty much agreed. Great car, but where's the Vette?

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland

But speaking of American Cars. What do we all think about the mid engine Corvette?

I thought it cool, but very much a euro looking supercar. My Vette buddies pretty much agreed. Great car, but where's the Vette?

Yeah, that thing looks like a Bugatti/ Ferrari. Dodge had a nice touch with the Viper and the remake of Challenger also has the spirit of an American muscle car.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Hour 20 into my 25 hour drive to Colorado.

Currently in the middle of Kansas with a ton of windmills around. Pretty cool scene.

One thing I'm wondering is why did they make this road so uneven. This is the bumpiest highway I've ever driven on

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

The C7 to me was a perfect car. The new C8 in interesting but IMO far away from a "Corvette".

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I still can’t ****ing believe that the garbage truck in Union City that crashed down onto 495 didn’t land on a car and no one got killed. Holy ****ing ****, that’s something that you would have literally ZERO warning for, imagine driving on 495 West past the Helix and a random ass garbage truck crashes through the parapet above outta nowhere. Terrifying thought.

Garbage truck overturns near NYC Lincoln Tunnel, injuring at least 12

I passed it a few minutes after it happened as I was heading into the city yesterday. Of course everyone had to slow down and take a photo of it. It was wild looking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad