OT: The Thread About Nothing CCIX: VIEWS [from the 201]

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
@Bleedred From my desk, I'm treated to Manhattan from 23rd to maybe 110th street, sweeping across Northern Hudson County, the Meadowlands (including MetLife and the Monstrosity with Hackensack in the distance), out west to the northern reaches of the Watchung Mountains.

If I go to the other side of the floor, I have Essex County right in front of me with the Skyway snaking towards Red Bull Arena and Newark (can't see our rink, sadly, blocked by buildings haha), across the Port, down to Elizabeth and Staten Island. Perhaps I'll share some photos if I have downtime later today.

To your point, not only is NYC beautiful to look at, but the views of our own state can be quite serene as well.

Reactions: Bleedred

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I see an msg on twitter i think that grant marshall and nj devil will be at some place over the weekend. it got me wondering at what point do those players from yesteryear not become recognizable anymore? dano/bryce those players will forever be known for obvious reasons. driver? marshall? brylin etc etc you think many kids 5-15 year olds know who they are? do you think they get depressed when no one shows to these things anymore?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I see an msg on twitter i think that grant marshall and nj devil will be at some place over the weekend. it got me wondering at what point do those players from yesteryear not become recognizable anymore? dani/bryce those players will forever be known for obvious reasons. driver? marshall? brylin etc etc you think many kids 5-15 year olds know who they are? do you think they get depressed when no one shows to these things anymore?

UniformSpecificHarvestmouse-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Darkauron

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I see an msg on twitter i think that grant marshall and nj devil will be at some place over the weekend. it got me wondering at what point do those players from yesteryear not become recognizable anymore? dano/bryce those players will forever be known for obvious reasons. driver? marshall? brylin etc etc you think many kids 5-15 year olds know who they are? do you think they get depressed when no one shows to these things anymore?

It's a valid question. Nobody under 20 would really care Id imagine about Driver and Marshall. I don't even care about that type of stuff anymore tbh. I don't see myself fanboying over any of the younger guys though. Something weird about doing that for someone a little less than half my age in Hughes' case. Regardless, that's an interesting though.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I couldn't pick them out of a line up. I started watching in 03. Sure i went back and watched games of the 95 and 00 cup wins but we are closer to 2030 then 1995.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The best view is if you’re in one of the towns along the river on the hills, like W. New York or Gutenberg. Coming down either side and seeing either the city or towards the hills that Paterson and such are on is just amazing. Almost makes up for the frustration of trying to park anywhere there.

I have a view looking out west instead of east so I miss out on a pretty solid Manhattan view and instead get the meadowlands and all that.

The one benefit is this time of year you can see like 20 or so towns doing those local fireworks at once. It’s pretty neat.

Reactions: New Jersey

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I couldn't pick them out of a line up. I started watching in 03. Sure i went back and watched games of the 95 and 00 cup wins but we are closer to 2030 then 1995.
Honestly?

I started watching the Devils during the '94 playoffs and wouldn't recognize Marshall or Driver. And I pretty much only know what Brylin looks like because he was on the jumbotron frequently when I was a STH.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I posted this here before but I was in North Brunswick pub one night and the Devils were doing a promotion. Grant Marshall was there sitting at table. My wife and I were sitting in a booth across the room watching the poor guy sit there by himself for probably a good 45+ minutes. I am pretty sure no one knew who he was. My wife felt so bad so she talk to him from the first intermission until the 3rd period about the Ottawa series. Lol.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The best view is if you’re in one of the towns along the river on the hills, like W. New York or Gutenberg. Coming down either side and seeing either the city or towards the hills that Paterson and such are on is just amazing. Almost makes up for the frustration of trying to park anywhere there.
We used to say "New York looks like a nice place from New Jersey"

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
kAUe055.jpg

Excuse the mess, finally completed a couple work benches. Was able to mount the table saw and router table, but I think I need another table for the rest of my stuff.
I would have mounted the table saw in the other direction. It doesn't look like you have the room or the support to rip an 8' sheet.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I would have mounted the table saw in the other direction. It doesn't look like you have the room or the support to rip an 8' sheet.

I don't have room in either direction. Ultimately, that made the most sense for the things I do most often. It's pretty easily removed from the table if need be anyway. Additionally, I can flip the table if need be as well.

Reactions: Nubmer6

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
kAUe055.jpg

Excuse the mess, finally completed a couple work benches. Was able to mount the table saw and router table, but I think I need another table for the rest of my stuff.

nice! i just fixed up one side of my shed shop….raised the bench higher, built cabinets for below it and added a glass tile back splash and larger counter area for my 'sky sink' (a 15 gallon barrel that pipes into the shed into a 10" dollar store salad bowl converted into a sink with plumbing parts… drains out into a hole in the ground which i added large gravel wrapped in filter cloth and covered with soil which is now grass covered)

gotta have some way to wash up out there when dealing with the chooks ;)

of which i have only one left :(

6 day olds arrive on wednesday though

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I went away to the Catskills for the weekend with some buddies. We rented this awesome cabin off AirBnb in the middle of the woods with no neighbors and a private pool and grill. We get there and can't get in. After four hours on the phone with AirBnb, it turns out that they canceled the reservation (That we made a month ago) that day and never told us.

We ended up in a farmhouse like thirty minutes from there that was also pretty great but no pool. At least I got to drink a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aethon

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I posted this here before but I was in North Brunswick pub one night and the Devils were doing a promotion. Grant Marshall was there sitting at table. My wife and I were sitting in a booth across the room watching the poor guy sit there by himself for probably a good 45+ minutes. I am pretty sure no one knew who he was. My wife felt so bad so she talk to him from the first intermission until the 3rd period about the Ottawa series. Lol.

that would exactly be my wife and i and she isn't a hockey fan so it would be me that would have to do the conversation. you have to think the devils would know this too and address it? just send nj devil to these events. just have a road one and a arena one

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I went away to the Catskills for the weekend with some buddies. We rented this awesome cabin off AirBnb in the middle of the woods with no neighbors and a private pool and grill. We get there and can't get in. After four hours on the phone with AirBnb, it turns out that they canceled the reservation (That we made a month ago) that day and never told us.

We ended up in a farmhouse like thirty minutes from there that was also pretty great but no pool. At least I got to drink a lot.

Did whoever made the reservation absolutely rage? I would demand follow-up and hopefully AirBnb boots him/her from their system. That's outrageous.

Reactions: New Jersey

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Did whoever made the reservation absolutely rage? I would demand follow-up and hopefully AirBnb boots him/her from their system. That's outrageous.

Yeah, and he's going to rage at them further today during business hours.

To their credit, it was not AirBnb's fault, but the host's, but AirBnb refunded us immediately and gave us 50% off the much more expensive spot we ended up at.

The whole situation screwed our Friday though. We got to the first place at 4pm, but didn't get into our final spot until 10pm.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

To their credit, it was not AirBnb's fault, but the host's, but AirBnb refunded us immediately and gave us 50% off the much more expensive spot we ended up at.

The whole situation screwed our Friday though. We got to the first place at 4pm, but didn't get into our final spot until 10pm.

that's class, though. good on them.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

more expensive without a pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad