OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Glad to hear. I got power back too. Not sure if it's for good or not. Wind seems to have slowed down in the last hour-90 minutes. Down to 35, probably still gusting around close to 50.

House is fine, but I think my neighbors shed might be messed up. I'll have to check that out in the morning, once it gets light out.

That would be great if you have power the next day after this. You were about 3 hours behind me (Irma time). I've still got occasional gusts going on here right now. Same in regards to checking on the damage in the morning. Can't sleep now, what else is new?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That would be great if you have power the next day after this. You were about 3 hours behind me (Irma time). I've still got occasional gusts going on here right now. Same in regards to checking on the damage in the morning. Can't sleep now, what else is new?

It's weird because the wind here is currently 33 MPH and gusting to 49 MPH. Bradenton Beach is 26 nautical miles south of me and the wind there is 43 MPH and gusting to 64 MPH. Not sure if that's because it's on the Gulf, whereas I'm 3 miles from the Gulf. Treasure Island is only at 31 MPH right now.

I've been checking the conditions in Bradenton Beach, just cause I'm worried for my friend who didn't evacuate. He has an old Vette, which he took down to park in a friend's garage, since his garage will likely be flooded. Parked his bike there too, but didn't evacuate himself.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It's weird because the wind here is currently 33 MPH and gusting to 49 MPH. Bradenton Beach is 26 nautical miles south of me and the wind there is 43 MPH and gusting to 64 MPH. Not sure if that's because it's on the Gulf, whereas I'm 3 miles from the Gulf. Treasure Island is only at 31 MPH right now.

I've been checking the conditions in Bradenton Beach, just cause I'm worried for my friend who didn't evacuate. He has an old Vette, which he took down to park in a friend's garage, since his garage will likely be flooded. Parked his bike there too, but didn't evacuate himself.

They were saying last night that the wind gusts would be higher, closer to the Gulf.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Have friends who moved from up here to Palm Harbor and Dunedin (Northwestern Tampa Bay area) who I've been in touch with throughout. They seemed to have been doing well and had power throughout Sunday Night Football. Their property is in good shape as of last night as well. I'm sure I'll get a few more texts today.

My buddy was freaking out a bit during the week not knowing what to expect, especially when it was still a Cat 4/5, but he seemed in much better spirits in the thick of it last night. They're taking it in stride.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ya know, my last 3 vacations were to Antigua/Barbuda, St. Marteen, and Marco Island. I feel like the hurricane is trying to wipe out any record of my travels.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Glad our Floridians are doing okay. Stay strong, guys.

Thanks for the well wishes, it was nice to hear that our HFboards family was concerned. Strangely my phone wouldn't allow texts but allowed Facebook and HFboards so I kindve used those as my boredum get through.

Ya know, my last 3 vacations were to Antigua/Barbuda, St. Marteen, and Marco Island. I feel like the hurricane is trying to wipe out any record of my travels.

What in the WORLD did you do there? :laugh:

Better yet, where are you vacationing next?!?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My brother's family is without power, but my mother 3.5 miles away has power. They'll probably be "camping" at mom's house for the next few days.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't get how Key West got out of this pretty well, but some of the other Keys got pretty wrecked.

SHORT ANSWER: Given the track of Irma, Key West wound up being probably the best Key in the Florida Keys chain to be in.

LONG ANSWER: WARNING: dorky explanation following.......

Hurricanes (in our part of the globe) have wind gusts in a counterclockwise direction.

So the "best" place to be is just to the left of whatever direction the hurricane is moving.

Why? Because the forward motion of the hurricane fights directly against its' own wind speed, lowering the overall effect of the wind.

EXAMPLE: Irma's windpeed and movement speed changed over time, but lets say the hurricane was moved due north at about 15 mph, and lets say with 100mph wind. Those are pretty good for ballpark figures.

So if you're just to the left of it like Key West was, winds ARE coming back at you at 100mph, but the forward motion of the hurricane moving past at 15 mph "fights" against it, so you only experience 85 mph wind.

BUT....the place on the other side of you gets the opposite (worse) effect where winds come in whipping at the same 100 mph, they get a "boost" from the 15 mph hurricane motion and experience 115 mph wind.

That is a significant > 35% :amazed:difference.

Make sense?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Have friends who moved from up here to Palm Harbor and Dunedin (Northwestern Tampa Bay area) who I've been in touch with throughout. They seemed to have been doing well and had power throughout Sunday Night Football. Their property is in good shape as of last night as well. I'm sure I'll get a few more texts today.

My buddy was freaking out a bit during the week not knowing what to expect, especially when it was still a Cat 4/5, but he seemed in much better spirits in the thick of it last night. They're taking it in stride.

Dunedin is only about 15 miles from me.

Lots of debris from tree leaves and branches here today. No real wind damage, nor standing water on ny block. The ballfield is completely flooded though. My neighbor's shed didn't really come apart. He said it did blow his shed door open and he had to come out and shut it and lock it. That's the noise that I was hearing. Not sure what it's like over where my friend lives or if it flooded. He doesn't know either.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yup, info from basically half of all adults in America has been stolen. Unreal.

It's scary to think about how I never directly used Equifax (A company! Not even a public service!) for anything, and yet there's about a 50% chance that my Social Security number was in their database. And now on someone's computer.

I took great pains in my life to protect my extremely sensitive data. Guess that doesn't matter anymore.

143 MILLION people. Unreal.

(I guarantee that people looting Nike stores in Florida will serve more prison time than the people who failed to protect my SSN.)

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Lost in all the hurricane news is how absolutely devastating the Equifax breach is.

<----- Victimized

And my EBAY account was hacked last week, so it wouldn't shock me if they're the next company that comes forth a month later to be "honest" about being hacked.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
We've now entered the phase of coverage where CNN literally has all their reporters in various Florida geographies stationed directly in front of mobile home trailer parks to show the worst-possible looking destruction.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We've now entered the phase of coverage where CNN literally has all their reporters in various Florida geographies stationed directly in front of mobile home trailer parks to show the worst-possible looking destruction.

I do feel awful for these people, but yeah they are overselling.

Nothing beats TWC though. They are the worst. All I want from TWC is dudes with doctorates in metrology looking at maps.

All this extra garbage is not desired.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Dunedin is only about 15 miles from me.

Lots of debris from tree leaves and branches here today. No real wind damage, nor standing water on ny block. The ballfield is completely flooded though. My neighbor's shed didn't really come apart. He said it did blow his shed door open and he had to come out and shut it and lock it. That's the noise that I was hearing. Not sure what it's like over where my friend lives or if it flooded. He doesn't know either.

Word, glad to hear that your neck of the woods held up pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad