Visit site
Brett Howden -27th overall
Deangelo - 19
Drouin -3
Koekoek -10
Vasilevsky - elite
Namestnikov-27
Connolly-6

I mean the biggest screw up there is koekoek and passing on forsberg but the later picks are harder to fault him on.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
How about outside the first: Gudas, Kucherov, Palat, Paquette, Erne, Point, Joseph, Cirelli?

Now consider what he did with those first round picks, especially those who weren't working out with Tampa:
Used Howden, Namesnikov, Deangelo (traded for Hajek) to Acquire McDonough/Miller
Used Drouin to get Sergachev
Used Connolly to get 2 2nd round picks.
GM’s are primarily responsible for first round picks. It’s not like Yzerman is scouting guys ranked 40-150 on their list

Nov 1, 2011
Brett Howden -27th overall
Deangelo - 19
Drouin -3
Koekoek -10
Vasilevsky - elite
Namestnikov-27
Connolly-6

I mean the biggest screw up there is koekoek and passing on forsberg but the later picks are harder to fault him on.

Based on how we complain:

- Deangelo over Nick Schmaltz (1 pick later)
- Drouin over Seth Jones (1 pick later)
- Koek over Filip Forsberg (1 pick later)
- Nomestnikov over Ricard Rakell (3 picks later)
- Connolly over Skinner (1 pick later)

How does Tampa even still have a franchise?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Even if they keep picking consecutive Calder finalists?

Or if they try to deal one of those picks used on a Calder finalist for a washed out Lucic or when they want to draft Glass instead of the 2nd Calder finalist.

Just imagine that Benning thought one year of Lucic would be more valueable than anyone he could draft with the 2015 first and other assets (Läck and Hutton likely)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Or if they try to deal one of those picks used on a Calder finalist for a washed out Lucic or when they want to draft Glass instead of the 2nd Calder finalist.

Just imagine that Benning thought one year of Lucic would be more valueable than anyone he could draft with the 2015 first and other assets (Läck and Hutton likely)
Just imagine is right... it didn't happen...not really interested in woulda,shoulda,coulda...If we went behind the scenes of many GM's,there are all sorts of scenarios..Wasnt Gillis going to pay Sundin some ginormous amount?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
For all the Yzerman hype (and I’d want him too), his first round picks haven’t been great

Brett Howden
Deangelo
Drouin
Koekoek
Vasilevsky - elite
Namestnikov
Connolly

Many of those are later in the 1st. And even tho some people here think every pick has 50/50 odds to succeed, that is not actually the case.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Even if they keep picking consecutive Calder finalists?

You really want to judge a GM on hitting 50% of his top 10 picks as some sort of accomplishment, when they are drafting top 10 every year because he is so bad at every other aspect of his job the team he put together is a perennial bottom feeder that gets high draft picks??

Boeser was a good pick at 23. I’ll give him that. Not enough in 5 years.

Reactions: HSD19

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You really want to judge a GM on hitting 50% of his top 10 picks as some sort of accomplishment, when they are drafting top 10 every year because he is so bad at every other aspect of his job the team he put together is a perennial bottom feeder that gets high draft picks??
Half of those were Calder finalists ..probably have another one next year..

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Half of those were Calder finalists ..probably have another one next year..

And 2 top 6 draft picks were completely blown, including one top 5 pick that was blatantly obvious. You do realize Benning wanted to draft Cody Glass and his scouts talked him into Pettersson?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And 2 top 6 draft picks were completely blown, including one top 5 pick that was blatantly obvious. You do realize Benning wanted to draft Cody Glass and his scouts talked him into Pettersson?
Virtanen is an NHL player, Juolevi is 21,(,,missed practically a whole season through injury )..hardly a bust....Benning didn't want to draft EP ..?..(Botchford confirmed..TMZ)...

Last edited:

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I wouldn’t call Aquilini a cheap owner...he is average. But he is running one of the leanest front offices in the league. The Aquilinis are very wealthy but a lot of their wealth isn’t extremely liquid. It would surprise me if they overpaid to get a premium executive

Congrats on the spontaneous bullshit.

You don’t know what you are talking about.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Virtanen is an NHL player, Juolevi is 21,(,,missed practically a whole season through injury )..hardly a bust....Benning didn't want EP (Botchford confirmed)...

Virtanen is an NHL player whose equivalent could be picked up pretty easily any off season.

Juolevi has done nothing to appear like an NHLer.

More busts than anything considering their draft positions.

Reactions: vanuck

polloqpiu

May 20, 2018
Let's not judge a gm by his picks, even if he botched 2 very easy top 10 picks in consecutive years. Let's judge him by how he destroyed the farm team, how he acquired players with very bad intangibles that showed the kids how not to play the right way, how he gave bad contract so that for at least 6 years the team will not be competitive and be restricted in their acquiring assets in exchange for cap dumps, how he made bad trades, how he says stupid things like big players get injured less, how he signs players to illegal contracts, how he allows the mismanagement one of the best young defensmen in the team in years so he will leave for russia, how he failed to address the defense, how he failed to understand where the team is at and to give it a goal, a direction, how he says in boston we won without analytics.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Virtanen is an NHL player, Juolevi is 21,(,,missed practically a whole season through injury )..hardly a bust....Benning didn't want to draft EP ..?..(Botchford confirmed..TMZ)...
Virtanen is a 3rd liner, and you could have drafted 2 top 6 F. Juolevi isn't a NHL player (and I seriously doubt that he will ever be one ) and you took him instead of a 1st line F. He wanted Cody instead of Pete.... how much more prove do you need?

No wonder you don't listen to 1040. Your desire for ignorance is off the charts.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Virtanen is a 3rd liner, and you could have drafted 2 top 6 F. Juolevi isn't a NHL player (and I seriously doubt that he will ever be one ) and you took him instead of a 1st line F. He wanted Cody instead of Pete.... how much more prove do you need?

No wonder you don't listen to 1040. Your desire for ignorance is off the charts.
awesome.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
GMs bring in or change the scouts, though. Yzerman brought in the scout that landed them Johnson.

I agree. I remember when Benning was first hired, there were posters who argued that Gillis had "fixed" the Canucks' scouting and that it takes a long time to make changes. Yzerman in Tampa was an example of team where the GM quickly installed a new Director of Amateur Scouting. Benning of course took a year to evaluate his staff before making that change.

Did he? Who was the scout? He may have been there for a decade. Either way, let’s poach that scout!

Yzerman brought in Al Murray to be the team's Director of Amateur Scouting right away. I agree let's pouch him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad