Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well I would start with $10M, and go up to $15M if Yzerman still rejected. The increase in franchise value his hiring would lead to would more than offset the extra cost.
He was willing to spend $3 million on Linden...can’t see him offering more than $5. Yzerman would hangup pretty quick

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
He was willing to spend $3 million on Linden...can’t see him offering more than $5. Yzerman would hangup pretty quick
Why do you say he wouldn't offer more than 5 million to Yzerman?

Linden had zero experience as NHL gm and got 3 million. Yzerman would be one of the best free agent GMs this summer. I'd be surprised if the Aquilini's wouldn't consider at least 6 million.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Why do you say he wouldn't offer more than 5 million to Yzerman?

Linden had zero experience as NHL gm and got 3 million. Yzerman would be one of the best free agent GMs this summer. I'd be surprised if the Aquilini's wouldn't consider at least 6 million.
I wouldn’t call Aquilini a cheap owner...he is average. But he is running one of the leanest front offices in the league. The Aquilinis are very wealthy but a lot of their wealth isn’t extremely liquid. It would surprise me if they overpaid to get a premium executive

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I wouldn’t call Aquilini a cheap owner...he is average. But he is running one of the leanest front offices in the league. The Aquilinis are very wealthy but a lot of their wealth isn’t extremely liquid. It would surprise me if they overpaid to get a premium executive

Is that a product of Aquilini not wanting to spend or Jim not wanting more voices in the room?

Jim and John see eye to eye. They fired Henning, Gilman, and Crawford for having dissenting opinions.

He could probably hire another AGM but just doesn't want to.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Do you have a source about this?

No offense but you sound like you're making stuff up. I find it very difficult to believe even 10 million is a big deal to a family whose net worth is over 3 billion dollars.

406in604

Mar 4, 2019
Bennings time is up and maybe even Green. The next guy in will want his own crew. I am not sold on Green or Benning. Both have done some good tbings, but their stinks are next level stinks.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
This is a great way to start a very important week for our club. I couldn't be more pleased with how everything has unfolded. Kenny ticks all the boxes we're looking for. He's hard working. He's down to earth. He's a very honest and genuine person.

Reactions: B-rock

pomorick

Aug 8, 2015
Benning might offer Yzerman ten million a year. Just not making bad signings like Eriksson and Beagle
save the Canucks ten million per year. Benning has at least sixteen million dollars of unmovable negative value contracts.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I don't know why people are convinced any of these people or even Yzerman would be great hires...I get that they're smart people but they've all done some stupid things and do not have particularly strong records with first round picks where you'd expect a GM has the biggest input. For the next few years I'm still concerned about the draft above all else and feel more comfortable with the current management than a new hire in that area.

We've had abysmal drafting since forever and I don't want to go back to that. You could argue that amateur scouting in general supercedes all other management functions put together in terms of long-term impact on a team.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don't know why people are convinced any of these people or even Yzerman would be great hires...I get that they're smart people but they've all done some stupid things and do not have particularly strong records with first round picks where you'd expect a GM has the biggest input. For the next few years I'm still concerned about the draft above all else and feel more comfortable with the current management than a new hire in that area.

We've had abysmal drafting since forever and I don't want to go back to that. You could argue that amateur scouting in general supercedes all other management functions put together in terms of long-term impact on a team.
:laugh:

Benning has a 50% hit rate on top 10 picks

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
:laugh:

Benning has a 50% hit rate on top 10 picks

Actually he has a 75% hit rate (most likely 100% once Juolevi plays), with a 50% home run rate. The expected return on a top 10 pick is not a home run player, contrary to what some people seem to think...

And he got Boeser at 23, and other non-trivial hits in the later rounds like Demko, Tryamkin, Gaudette, Forsling, and an another amateur find in Stetcher. Other guys likely to come. I get it's not perfect, but man you could do a lot worse with some of these other "smart" GMs.

Let the guy do what he's good at, and then if you don't think he can handle converting a pool of amazing young players into a playoff contender then find somebody to do that at that time. We're not there yet.

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Maybe we get lucky and he sells the team. But I don’t see the Canucks spending big $ until they have a season long sellout and playoff revenue.

On the flip side, Toronto is apparently ready to spend up to $50mil this off-season on their analytics department.
I am so ****ing jealous of Toronto's front office. They're going to be able to remain a competitive team for YEARS. I also see a few cups in there as well.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Big fat hell no to Lombardi for me. I don’t want any part of him in the Canucks’ organization.

Either Francis or Holland would sit just fine with me.
Agreed. The mess he left in Los Angeles is unmatched anywhere currently. A shocking collection of dinosaurs on franchise sinking mega contracts. I'll pass thanks.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Agreed. The mess he left in Los Angeles is unmatched anywhere currently. A shocking collection of dinosaurs on franchise sinking mega contracts. I'll pass thanks.

That too, but I mostly despise him for his utter hypocrisy in how he treated Mike Richards and Slava Voynov. Just a garbage person who was running a garbage organization.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Do you have a source about this?

No offense but you sound like you're making stuff up. I find it very difficult to believe even 10 million is a big deal to a family whose net worth is over 3 billion dollars.
I know a little bit because of my job and the people I connect with professionally. They have a high net worth but perhaps it’s not as liquid as other owners given their wealth is primarily in their real estate holdings. You are right, $10 million is nothing for them on the larger scale but they are running a business and haven’t really shown a willingness to make big investments on the manegment side of the business. No offence taken

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Is that a product of Aquilini not wanting to spend or Jim not wanting more voices in the room?

Jim and John see eye to eye. They fired Henning, Gilman, and Crawford for having dissenting opinions.

He could probably hire another AGM but just doesn't want to.
You may be right. My opinion is they purposely went lean this year to save some $ and they will open the wallet more this summer. Not sure regarding benning but I don’t see him standing up to the boss. He is pretty docile

member 290103

I am so ****ing jealous of Toronto's front office. They're going to be able to remain a competitive team for YEARS. I also see a few cups in there as well.

They figured out what we have been hoping the Canucks would figure out. Linden figured it out, but only after the Sedin's retired.

Linden more or less admitted that he ran the team for the Sedins while they were here and only after they were gone did he attempt to actually do his job. Glad he was fired. The guy set the team back years.

Reactions: clunk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad