Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I would go up to $20 million a year for 3-4 years for Yzerman if he actually wanted to come. Lets say a 4 year deal at 80 million dollars for the best GM in the entire game, who literally molded Tampa into a perennial contender with an amazing farm team and drafting, along with great cap management and savvy hockey trade.

$80 million investment for 4 years... the investment could pay off real juicy is Aquaman was actually willing to do something crazy like that.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I would go up to $20 million a year for 3-4 years for Yzerman if he actually wanted to come. Lets say a 4 year deal at 80 million dollars for the best GM in the entire game, who literally molded Tampa into a perennial contender with an amazing farm team and drafting, along with great cap management and savvy hockey trade.

$80 million investment for 4 years... the investment could pay off real juicy is Aquaman was actually willing to do something crazy like that.

He’s fine with throwing away $36 million on bums like Loui Eriksson.

Yzerman is the McDavid of GMs - commands top dollar and is worth every penny and more.

If he is remotely interested, you do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Reactions: Hyzer

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
He’s fine with throwing away $36 million on bums like Loui Eriksson.

Yzerman is the McDavid of GMs - commands top dollar and is worth every penny and more.

If he is remotely interested, you do whatever it takes to make it happen.

I mean we already pay Loui 500k a goal and we pay Schaller 633k per goal. Whats the big deal about giving Yzerman some money, ya know?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean we already pay Loui 500k a goal and we pay Schaller 633k per goal. Whats the big deal about giving Yzerman some money, ya know?
It won’t be about money for Steve Y. He’s made a boatload if it. He has adult children now, yet he opted to return home. Between Van and TB the advantage of remaining in TB are time zone and slightly shorter flight to his home in Detroit. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t sign on with Detroit at the first chance he gets.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It's an absolute joke that Gillis isn't considered as President of Hockey Ops. Watch him get hired by Seattle.

If Seattle has their eye on him then Gillis would turn us down anyway. Find it very unlikely he would come back here rather than take a job in Seattle.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
The fans wanted Gillis fired so badly that they started a chant. We don’t deserve to have Gillis return after that treatment

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

member 290103

The fans wanted Gillis fired so badly that they started a chant. We don’t deserve to have Gillis return after that treatment

One of Gillis' biggest problems was that he came off as a smug pompous son of a bitch. He never handled the media well. I was ready for a change in 2013, but in retrospect, I think it's clear now that the problem was ownership. Gillis was ready to tear the team down and rebuild, but that was not going to be permitted.

I sure would have loved to have seen where we'd be now if a Gillis rebuild was permitted.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Do not want Lombardi. With him, there would be a top-down shift in thinking about players. More size and grit, less about pure skill. That will set the team back.

Better to go with a President that will keep the emphasis on skill. That's Holland or Francis.

Of the two, I hope it's Holland. I'm not sure if Francis has the clout or fortitude to stand up to Aquilini. Holland's voice would carry much more weight.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
One of Gillis' biggest problems was that he came off as a smug pompous son of a *****. He never handled the media well. I was ready for a change in 2013, but in retrospect, I think it's clear now that the problem was ownership. Gillis was ready to tear the team down and rebuild, but that was not going to be permitted.

I sure would have loved to have seen where we'd be now if a Gillis rebuild was permitted.
Based on the evidence we have, he wouldn't have been the guy for the job.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Yet somehow, during his own contract negotiations in 2012, he and the owners seemed on the same page regarding the direction of the team. A year later in 2013 it no longer meshes?

Like you said earlier, the way he came off back then, who knows how he broke it to ownership. How does he explain the change from the end of 2012 to 2013 to the owners? Did he accept blame for the drafting. Did he not offer up a retool, trading any of Bieksa, hamhuis, Edler, kesler, Burrows, Lu, Sedins to change up 2 members of the core?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Do not want Lombardi. With him, there would be a top-down shift in thinking about players. More size and grit, less about pure skill. That will set the team back.

Better to go with a President that will keep the emphasis on skill. That's Holland or Francis.

Of the two, I hope it's Holland. I'm not sure if Francis has the clout or fortitude to stand up to Aquilini. Holland's voice would carry much more weight.
Disagree
Lombardi built a team that won 2 cups and was dominant through out the playoffs
His problem was he got too attached to aging role players that won them the cups. Which won’t be a problem here until we win one

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Disagree
Lombardi built a team that won 2 cups and was dominant through out the playoffs
His problem was he got too attached to aging role players that won them the cups. Which won’t be a problem here until we win one

If you want to start comparing records, Lombardi's record pales to Holland's own. Take Holland's entire record into account and make a case for Lombardi. I'd be interested in seeing that breakdown.

Of the three names mentioned, Lombardi is the only one known to favour size and toughness. Watch some of his YT videos. He comes from the Bobby Clarke school of thought. That is not a fit for what is happening here. Pettersson and especially Hughes do not represent the type of focal points a Lombardi led team tends to have.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure if it's because Holland has been around so long, but he's 63 going on 64 at the end of the year. But, he's only 3 years older than Gillis who is 60 going on 61 at the end of the year. Thought Holland was much older than Gillis.

See what happens with Yzerman.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If Aquaman wants to save money ill take the job for $200k. I’m even Italian.

Reactions: vanuck

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Who would want to come work for these clowns?

Better be paying way over market $$$

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
You mean the Mike Gillis that was run out of town by the ownership, fans and media?

no i think he means the mike gillis that came within a game of the stanley cup, represented some of the richest players of the 90s and 2000s, founded a company that he sold for millions, and took down alan eagleson.

Reactions: B-rock

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
For all the Yzerman hype (and I’d want him too), his first round picks haven’t been great

Brett Howden
Deangelo
Drouin
Koekoek
Vasilevsky - elite
Namestnikov
Connolly

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
For all the Yzerman hype (and I’d want him too), his first round picks haven’t been great

Brett Howden
Deangelo
Drouin
Koekoek
Vasilevsky - elite
Namestnikov
Connolly

How about outside the first: Gudas, Kucherov, Palat, Paquette, Erne, Point, Joseph, Cirelli?

Now consider what he did with those first round picks, especially those who weren't working out with Tampa:
Used Howden, Namesnikov, Deangelo (traded for Hajek) to Acquire McDonough/Miller
Used Drouin to get Sergachev
Used Connolly to get 2 2nd round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad