The Taylor Hall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
We need to pair Hall and Zajac with someone named Matt, so we can have the HAZMAT line.

Do we still own Matt Anderson's rights? :sarcasm:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We need to pair Hall and Zajac with someone named Matt, so we can have the HAZMAT line.

Do we still own Matt Anderson's rights? :sarcasm:

No

But I think we own MATTias Tedenby's rights still! :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even better, I think the Habs would be willing to send Matteau back. :D

Just not realizing this first, makes realize just how little I remember of Matteau.

I wonder if Hall could even push him to the 25 point mark. :laugh:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I would definately put hall with Henrique at least to try it off the get go. Hall is a very difficult player to play with and they already have familiarity from the spits. The good thing about Hall is he can play anywhere and produce on his own, the bad thing is it's tough to find linemates that work well with him and thrive with him.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/23-minutes-shook-hockey-world/

another Hall article. More tidbits about how the trade went down

I think the most telling quote from that article was:

“Hall and Subban are very similar. Great players…great players. Determined. Driven. They want to win,†he said. “But from junior, they’ve always done it their way. The toughest thing to learn is how you can’t go your own way — especially when you are losing. I had to learn that. That’s the final lesson.â€

Hopefully, Hall has had that beaten out of him with this trade. It would be great to have some of the old guard around to help him. It's where Stevens, Brodeur, Elias, Arnott, even Gomez could be really valuable. I'm hopeful that Shero and Hynes have enough clout to get Hall to buy in.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
i really wanna see a Hall-Henrique-DSP line. Hall and Henrique are familiar with each other as we all know. As for DSP I think he thrives off confidence if you put him with top line players it will help his confidence . He'll be able to create space for the other two. He'll also be able to crash the net and knock home rebounds in. I really think he could score 20+ goals with the right line mates.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Maybe its me but this team has long needed a big personality/confident guy especially at forward. The culture is stable and set enough here where Hall will fit in pretty well. Edmonton has always been a culture mess.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
That was a great breakdown of all three of those moves (Hall/Larsson, Subban/Weber, Stamkos signing with Tampa). Friedman is a pro.

Friedman is certainly one of the best NHL writers out there - pick up a lot of new information from him.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Maybe its me but this team has long needed a big personality/confident guy especially at forward. The culture is stable and set enough here where Hall will fit in pretty well. Edmonton has always been a culture mess.

If you're saying that the Devils never replaced the void left by Parise, I agree.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think the most telling quote from that article was:

Hopefully, Hall has had that beaten out of him with this trade. It would be great to have some of the old guard around to help him. It's where Stevens, Brodeur, Elias, Arnott, even Gomez could be really valuable. I'm hopeful that Shero and Hynes have enough clout to get Hall to buy in.

He's coming into a perfect situation for that type of attitude.

They're both going to teams with clear identities and clear directions as well as valuable veteran leadership. The Devils established their identity last year as a team under Hynes. Hall is the perfect addition to that fast, attacking, and relentless motif.

Also, we have enough veteran leadership here as well as a coach in Hynes that seems to be very straightforward with the players. If those quotes are true about Hall, that's not at all a bad quality to have. Edmonton just completely and utterly failed at getting the proper veterans to help channel that drive to a positive thing. There is not one veteran player that Hall played with in Edmonton that was not over the hill by the time he got there. You need that respected veteran presence to acclimate young kids in this league; the players that lead by example.

On top of that, after being in this league for six years, I would imagine Hall learned a lot of his lessons the hard way unlike some of the "problem" players that came through the Devils organization like an Arnott who was taken under Stevens wing.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Does anyone have that amazing gif of Mattias emerging from underneath someone's arm?

That's one of my favourites!

pr8mOWj.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's one of my favourites!

pr8mOWj.gif

Leach, Salmela, Tedenby, OMG! (well OMG isn't actually in that picture)

It's funny how people have said certain players like Crosby can produce with players, no matter what and no matter who they are. And that's why they why Shero was able to bring in guys like Dupuis and make them look like superstars.

It would be funny if Shero can save up some cash here, by bringing in players like Tedenby, who maybe Hall can make to look a lot better than he really is.

Okay, just kidding. Couldn't resist another Tedenby joke.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If defense wasn't necessary, Tedenby would be a good player. I think he gets ragged on too much. He's no Mark Fraser. The kid actually had a lot of hockey talent. It was just all on the offensive side of the game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If defense wasn't necessary, Tedenby would be a good player. I think he gets ragged on too much. He's no Mark Fraser. The kid actually had a lot of hockey talent. It was just all on the offensive side of the game.

Without trying to derail the thread, I maintain that offense was his problem. But the fact that he wasn't any good at defense (unlike his buddy Josefson), is why he had absolutely no use.

He was supposed to be an offensive player and he didn't score enough points. He had 22 points in his first 58 NHL games played. Not bad at all. I remember it being talked about that he had a very similar rookie season in points, to the one that Parise had when he was a rookie. Aside from the fact that Parise played pretty much the full season. He had 32 points in 81 games, Tedenby was on pace for 31 points in 82 games.

But in Tedenby's last 62 games played in the NHL, he scored 8 points. Just 2 goals in 62 games, while he had 8 goals in his first 58 games. And when you look at his game logs for 2011-2012, he had 3 points in his first 8 games, then had 3 points in his remaining 35 games played that season and just 5 more points in 54 more games played in the NHL after his first 8 games of the 11-12 season.

He needed to score more points, he was supposed to be an offensive player and didn't score enough offense.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Without trying to derail the thread, I maintain that offense was his problem. But the fact that he wasn't any good at defense (unlike his buddy Josefson), is why he had absolutely no use.

He was supposed to be an offensive player and he didn't score enough points. He had 22 points in his first 58 NHL games played. Not bad at all. I remember it being talked about that he had a very similar rookie season in points, to the one that Parise had when he was a rookie. Aside from the fact that Parise played pretty much the full season. He had 32 points in 81 games, Tedenby was on pace for 31 points in 82 games.

But in Tedenby's last 62 games played in the NHL, he scored 8 points. Just 2 goals in 62 games, while he had 8 goals in his first 58 games. And when you look at his game logs for 2011-2012, he had 3 points in his first 8 games, then had 3 points in his remaining 35 games played that season and just 5 more points in 54 more games played in the NHL after his first 8 games of the 11-12 season.

He needed to score more points, he was supposed to be an offensive player and didn't score enough offense.

Twas some dark times. I think the kid was destroyed and JJ never fully recovered from that either. I'm not saying he's great or anything, or that he should even be in the NHL. Just that we've had players on this team that were significantly worse than Tedenby. I'll leave it there.

Anyway, I kinda wish Canada would have picked Hall for the WC. I am anxious to see him play.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Twas some dark times. I think the kid was destroyed and JJ never fully recovered from that either. I'm not saying he's great or anything, or that he should even be in the NHL. Just that we've had players on this team that were significantly worse than Tedenby. I'll leave it there.

Anyway, I kinda wish Canada would have picked Hall for the WC. I am anxious to see him play.

I think one of the worst things for Tedenby and JJ (assuming they would have been better than they are) was being brought up to the NHL permanently in just their first year in North America and being 20 and 19 years old. Both of them looked good in their rookie years too, or at least much better than they'd ever wind up looking again. Both got sent back to the AHL later on and both wound up playing a few AHL games before being called up to the big club for the first time. But still came up too early. That's why I'm glad we took more time with a player like Boucher, and will be happy if we take our time with Blandisi.

Looking at Team Canada's roster, there are only one true LW and RW a piece. And then it's a bunch of other guys that are centers, that also play wing.

I absolutely would have rather have seen Hall there than Brad Marchand, and it's nothing against Brad Marchand either. I would have been okay with Hall instead of Couture, but I'm a big Couture fan and am cool with him being there as well.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
New article from the Post:

http://nypost.com/2016/09/21/taylor-halls-electric-upside-has-devils-dreaming-big/

One quote towards the end is particularly exciting.

“I think once the season shakes out and once training camp starts to happen, I know the expectations from the organization, from the coaching staff, we expect nothing less than playoffs,†Hall said. “And I’m looking forward to being in a race like that.â€

Shero says the same thing.

“He’s a player that can make his mark on this hockey team, on and off the ice, and that’s what I’m looking for,†general manager Ray Shero told The Post. “With the help and support of a group of some pretty talented players, and a group that we’re adding to in the last year and moving forward, I think he can make a contribution and make a difference to help us get over the hump and into the playofs.â€

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Hall shooting for the playoffs. Very good. If we are the first team he gets into the playoffs with, I think he stays loyal to us. After all, he didn't even want to leave the Oilers despite the bleak years there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad