Movies: The Suicide Squad (August 2021)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
For all of the flash of James Gunn — the quips, the gore, the soundtracks — he's really good at a lot of basic blocking-and-tackling of making a movie. I think that sometimes gets lost amid the dick jokes and splattering heads and pop culture references.

He has a true knack for establishing characters and creating a connection with the audience. A lot of it is classic structures and some screenwriting 101-stuff (the pseudo father-daughter relationship of Bloodsport and Ratcatcher 2, for instance, King Shark's arc, Chekov's smaller bullets) but he does it in a way that feels fairly seamless while you're watching the movie. He hides those strings pretty well.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I honestly cannot understand how this movie got made, and I mean that in a positive way. This movie is soooo violent and soooo ridiculous, I don't know how James Gunn pitched it and made the execs agree to make this film. Truly one of those films where you can see a studio let a director make the blockbuster film they wanted to. Love or hate this film, you have to give it props for being unapologetically what it is. This movie is truly one of those visionary comic books movies. Mad respects to James Gunn.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Fantastic movie. No overly political shit shoved in our face. It was refreshing. And as someone who f***ing hates Pete Davidson I love this movie even more. This was one of the best movies in a few years.

Reactions: LokiDog

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Fantastic movie. No overly political shit shoved in our face. It was refreshing. And as someone who f***ing hates Pete Davidson I love this movie even more. This was one of the best movies in a few years.

Huh, well I suppose if you don't count a pretty obvious criticism of America's interventionist policies and the positioning of its most "patriotic" character as a bit of a psychotic buffoon sure, yeah, not overtly political at all.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
No overly political shit shoved in our face.
This movie was far more political than 90% of the movies that folks bitch about for being "too political" or "shoving [whatever] down our throat." They were not at all subtle about their views on American foreign policy, to the point of cartoonishness. Waller and Peacemaker were both cartoonishly amoral in their unquestioning support for American military self-interest. These themes are constant through-out the movie, but the whole third act is literally about rescuing a hard drive full of incriminating information to the American government and saving the people of a city that the American government has determined to be expendable.

I don't disagree with the points that they were making, but it was most definitely a political film.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I was a little underwhelmed but enjoyed it overall. As much as a tried, I couldn’t stop comparing it to Guardians and in doing so I felt the chemistry between these group members didn’t click nearly as well. Harley, in particular. Not only did she seem like she was in a different movie, almost all of her jokes fell flat for me. I actually liked her a lot more in the first one as odd as that sounds. That limited chemistry led to a disjointed feel and I wasn’t able to completely immerse myself in the film as a result. That said, there’s still a lot to like. Gunn is a true original and there are several legitimately exciting and shocking (in a good way) moments. And Idris, King Shark, and Viola Davis were standouts on the acting front.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Saw this last night, and it came as advertised. Just a fun action packed movie.

It does feel a little forgettable, but I guess that's the entire premise. The emotional elements all felt too shallow to have any lasting impacts.

There were a lot of great gags that got me to laugh out loud, like the polka dot mom jokes or the Milton death.

I also agree that James Gunns visual style and capacity of a director is really a driving force here. It would be great to see him given a bigger budget and some freedom outside the comic book genre.

Reactions: LokiDog

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Better than the first one for sure. I was hoping a few more of Flags team would make it off the beach ohh well lol.

Also interesting to read that Gunn originally wanted to have Superman in the movie. Superman Almost Appeared in The Suicide Squad Movie

Who would have thought that Kal-El might have appeared in The Suicide Squad? Well, James Gunn wanted to make this a reality. Gunn reveals Superman was the initial big bad for the film instead of Starro the Conqueror in a new interview.
On the latest episode of the Script Apart, a podcast that talks to writers about the evolution of their scripts, The Suicide Squad director James Gunn mentions, “There was a time when I thought The Suicide Squad should fight Superman,” he says. He continues explaining why Starro was a much better choice.
“I thought that was a very interesting story. Then I came up with Starro. He’s a character I love from the comics. I think he’s a perfect comic book character because he’s absolutely ludicrous but also very scary in his own way. What he does is scary. He used to scare the crap out of me when I was a child, putting those facehuggers on Superman and Batman.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Holy shit that wasn't just better than the first SS, it was to me the best DCEU movie by far and by quite a lot.

A small handful of jokes fall flat but for the most part my brother and I were laughing out loud (especially TDKs beach scenes) throughout.

This was honestly better in literally every sense. Better pacing, better character development, better acting, funnier, better soundtrack, better writing overall, better visuals. Superior in every way.

I can't claim any of the DCEU movies as among my favorite comic book films but I think TSS makes the list. Not flawless, but to me it was dumb, outrageous, and fun in all the best ways. At this point if the DCEU can deliver that, I'm satisfied.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad