Movies: The Suicide Squad (August 2021)

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
As a DC fanboy who’s been starved for good live action content over the last decade (and continues to be), I’m hopeful. I’m probably foolish, as well, but I’m hopeful.

DC, imo, has far more complex and interesting characters and stories. From the very beginning they should have planned this out, especially knowing what Marvel was doing, and especially after how successfull the MCU became.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
DC, imo, has far more complex and interesting characters and stories. From the very beginning they should have planned this out, especially knowing what Marvel was doing, and especially after how successfull the MCU became.
I am in full agreement on your first sentence! If DC had planned out their cinematic universe, a la Marvel, then the payoff would’ve been incredible. Especially with the additional depth of character that exists for the debug DC characters.

Like, could you imagine the Identity Crisis storyline playing out on the big screen after years of buildup? That would’ve been unreal.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Seems like they're hoping this becomes DC's version of the Guardians Of The Galaxy...

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I think that trailer is actually worse.

Nah, this trailer just made it feel more like a gonzo action movie while the first one showed it to try itself more towards the buddy comedy realm. I still think it's like I said, it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it's gonna be a whacked out James Gunn humor/action extravaganza, for better or worse depending on your opinion of him. I'm still excited to see what it is. And there's no way in hell it's worse than suicide squad 2016, which was fine for what it was, but as a 'comic book blockbuster' it was a disaster full of overacting egos and taking itself too seriously imo, amongst the awful story and writing. Not bad as a standalone, but given overall expectations, awful.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'm definitely not getting any different vibes about this one as opposed to the other Harley Quinn movies. Looks to me that DC is still playing the Dave Clark Five to Marvel's Beatles.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Joel Kinnaman Talks In Treatment, Suicide Squad Sequel - Variety

Have you seen the new “Suicide Squad?”
We saw it a couple days ago. It’s insane. It’s by far James Gunn’s best movie.

Why do you say that?
It just takes it to another level. It’s an insane film. At the same time, it was very much the movie that I thought it was going to be because the vision was so clear from the beginning. While we were shooting it, it was so clear what we were doing. It’s so entertaining. I’m of course hopelessly biased, but I found it to be one of the most entertaining films I’ve ever seen. From A to Z, it’s so well paced, it has such a drive and such comedic timing. It’s funny along the way the whole time, effortlessly. But then I think what really surprised me was I was struck by was how well it flowed, but also how he was able to create these little bubbles, these little moments of emotional depth and visual and emotional poetry. And I felt like it really transcended the genre, and it became something bigger. And then it’s also very silly, and ridiculous in many ways and super violent. Just gory almost at times. And it has shocking moments, but they are very comedic. At the end of the movie, it’s completely normal seeing this giant shark just standing gnawing on a person’s head, and some of the people just having a conversation next to it… When you’re one hour and 50 minutes into ‘Suicide Squad,’ that’s going to feel completely normal. It’s so irreverent.

I know the first “Suicide Squad” had critics who weren’t happy with it, but I loved it.
I thought the first 40 minutes of the film was f***ing great, and then there were conflicting visions and it just didn’t end up being what we all hoped it was. It didn’t feel like the movie that we hoped we were going to make, and this is something very different. …It’s just a different universe. It’s a James Gunn universe. It’s a very hilarious and depraved place.

Sep 19, 2008
It looks terrible.

Also very weird to see Viola Davis attempt another Suicide Squad after how well it went in Suicide Squad (2016). Yes I know this is likely a reboot which attempts to clear the slate but still. You literally have 2 to 3 people who were in the 2016 movie in this one. It puts off odd vibes.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Looks more promising than the 1st installment. Debating going to see it in the theater or just watching on HBO max. I usually see every DV movie in theater but didnt see Birds of Prey (movie got bad reviews) or W.W. 2 because of the pandemic. Will probably see this in the movies. Hoping John Cena as Peacemaker is good enough to warrant the HBO max series he is getting this winter.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
It looks terrible.

Also very weird to see Viola Davis attempt another Suicide Squad after how well it went in Suicide Squad (2016). Yes I know this is likely a reboot which attempts to clear the slate but still. You literally have 2 to 3 people who were in the 2016 movie in this one. It puts off odd vibes.
It isn't a reboot and the suicide squad was/is constantly changing.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This movie certainly wanted to have its cake and eat it too. It’s ridiculous, but self aware. It’s cartoonish and absurd, but also wants to have a message. It does a little of everything.

Bloodsport’s daughter being proud of him felt totally undeserved.

The Harley Quinn subplot with the El Presidente character felt totally tacked on and unnecessary. It was very clearly a “oh we f***ed up with her Joker romance (and the Joker) in the last movie, so we’re gonna do it over again and hopefully better” moment.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
The Snyder cult are very displeased this ended up being a critical hit.

Quite frankly, the same small crowd of Synder enthusiasts would likely be equally displeased if this didn't end up being a critical hit.

Sep 19, 2008
It isn't a reboot and the suicide squad was/is constantly changing.
So how do they handle the events of the last movie? You know, when Joker broke into the prison and busted Harley out? Do they act like the previous movie never happened :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
I'm not opposed to watching despite how awful SS1 was but did they at least tone down the f***ing soundtrack? The original used so many overused tunes we've all heard efore. THERE ISSSS A HOUSE IN NEW ORELANNNNNS THEY CALLL THE RISING SUNNNNN

yeah we heard this before

CAUSE IT FEELS SO EMPTY WITHOUT ME NOW THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR ME

This is not some 90's flick cool it with the f***ing overused songs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad