The struggling Larkin...

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I actually think Blash nailed it. Distilled what I was thinking about Larkin's game. He needs to stop a lot more, especially when he doesn't have the puck, offensively or defensively. How many times do you see him skate past the play?

Gotta use your head.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I actually think Blash nailed it. Distilled what I was thinking about Larkin's game. He needs to stop a lot more, especially when he doesn't have the puck, offensively or defensively. How many times do you see him skate past the play?

Gotta use your head.
Whole team needs to.

Too many flybys. And it'd be one thing if they did a flyby and came up with the puck but 90% of the time they don't.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
Went from leading the team in +/- last year to second to last this year at a -17 only Sheehan is worse at -19

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Larkin had his best game in a while yesterday, he went to the dirty areas and didn't back down. Hope he learns from this and keeps on truckin'.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Could have sworn I saw somewhere Zetterberg does not like the way Blashill runs the locker room

There's been a decent number of rumors to that effect. On one hand where there's smoke there's fire, but none of the rumors have been particularly trustworthy so I don't know what to think as far as their validity.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I still find it strange Larkin was so quickly pigeonholed as the "face of the new Wings", the "face of the franchise", etc. You see the focus on the NBC broadcasts for example. After last season may be the hype was understandable but right now the effort feels forced. Way too early to proclaim him as "the" core piece or a superstar.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I still find it strange Larkin was so quickly pigeonholed as the "face of the new Wings", the "face of the franchise", etc. You see the focus on the NBC broadcasts for example. After last season may be the hype was understandable but right now the effort feels forced. Way too early to proclaim him as "the" core piece or a superstar.

Wasn't just last season. Local boy, dominated at the local university. Played extremely well in international competitions. He has all of the ingredients to be the core piece you're talking about, even if he isn't a top 10 player in his prime or whatever the hype might allege.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Larkin had his best game in a while yesterday, he went to the dirty areas and didn't back down. Hope he learns from this and keeps on truckin'.

You could tell he got whatever message that was given to him. I hope he continues as well. He will not be successful in this league playing on the perimeter with his current shooting abilities. Not that he's a bad shooter but you basically need a rocket that is pinpoint accurate to score from a distance nowadays. I almost feel like his play mirrors that of someone who thinks they have made it. Hopefully the tough love will make him hungry again. I don't care if he doesn't score another goal all season as long as he plays like he needs to earn his place.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't understand what you mean by "being away from coverage."
By "being away from coverage" I'm referring to when a forward has a lot of space between him and the player defending him. He doesn't have to deal with a defenseman pokechecking him or anything. I think Larkin has a lot of trouble with that. But Zetterberg, for example, is excellent in coverage. He can do entire laps around the offensive zone with a player right on him.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
There's been a decent number of rumors to that effect. On one hand where there's smoke there's fire, but none of the rumors have been particularly trustworthy so I don't know what to think as far as their validity.

I'm pretty sure the young guns look up to Z.
I don't believe he'd like the crap Blashill has laid on all 3 of those guys.

The latest (but mildest) is cutting Larkin's time and taking him off the power play.
By the way the power play sucks with or without him.
Get rid of Blashill and Larkin will get a new lease on hockey life.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Wasn't just last season. Local boy, dominated at the local university. Played extremely well in international competitions. He has all of the ingredients to be the core piece you're talking about, even if he isn't a top 10 player in his prime or whatever the hype might allege.

Right but how far does Larkin need to fall off before the narrative of "Larkin and the Red Wings" gets ixnayed? I'd say the main focus is still on Z as the captain while Larkin is being worked into the spotlight but if he has another poor season I don't see how he'll be highlighted as the franchise star he was imagined to be. Or will the Wings and the NHL keep shoving it down our throats?

I thought last night was as weak as I've ever seen. Stripped like a child of the puck multiple times, just shut down. His "battling" in front of the net I also thought was childish. One day he's a perimeter guy and the next he's parked in front of the net slashing and whacking 2 defense at one time, lol. You can follow orders but have a brain of your own. Silly game from him last night, kid needs a rest.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Right but how far does Larkin need to fall off before the narrative of "Larkin and the Red Wings" gets ixnayed? I'd say the main focus is still on Z as the captain while Larkin is being worked into the spotlight but if he has another poor season I don't see how he'll be highlighted as the franchise star he was imagined to be. Or will the Wings and the NHL keep shoving it down our throats?

I thought last night was as weak as I've ever seen. Stripped like a child of the puck multiple times, just shut down. His "battling" in front of the net I also thought was childish. One day he's a perimeter guy and the next he's parked in front of the net slashing and whacking 2 defense at one time, lol. You can follow orders but have a brain of your own. Silly game from him last night, kid needs a rest.

How dare he battle to draw the penalty that led to our only goal? Dude was trying to punk him and he didn't give in.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
How dare he battle to draw the penalty that led to our only goal? Dude was trying to punk him and he didn't give in.

:laugh: That is hilarious the way you worded it. I was referring to another play where he slashed I think Boychuck and another guy, but same type of thing. Hey, good he's trying I just find small happenings like the idea Larkin cutting his teeth as a net-front guy comical. I doubt if Blashill told him to go to the dirty areas and not shy away from contact he meant stand directly in the crease. Larkin seemed to be making some kind of statement (never seem him in front like that) I just don't get what it was.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
:laugh: That is hilarious the way you worded it. I was referring to another play where he slashed I think Boychuck and another guy, but same type of thing. Hey, good he's trying I just find small happenings like the idea Larkin cutting his teeth as a net-front guy comical. I doubt if Blashill told him to go to the dirty areas and not shy away from contact he meant stand directly in the crease. Larkin seemed to be making some kind of statement (never seem him in front like that) I just don't get what it was.

To be honest before stuff got to rambunctious on the penalty call I was laughing at Larkin, then I was kinda proud of him after it all went down.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Yeah, Larkin sucked last game in the actual playing of hockey. Poor D zone coverage, bad decisions with pick, and gave the puck up on the slightest contact. His battle in front of the net was good but I'd like him to actually play hockey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Looking like a solid finish for Larkin at least, 8 points in his last 8 games.

And he's been moved back to center. It's good for us that he's finding his game and is looking to end on a high note. It might hurt our draft position, but it's a fair trade off.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looking like a solid finish for Larkin at least, 8 points in his last 8 games.

I like him and AA together. Actually, Abby fits pretty well too. Maybe that can be our 3rd line to start next year.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I like him and AA together. Actually, Abby fits pretty well too. Maybe that can be our 3rd line to start next year.

Lines really wouldn't be bad if we could have:

Tatar-Z-nyquist
Abby-Larkin- AA
?- Nielsen-mantha
Whoever

If we could find a legit good player to play with Nielsen and mantha it could be a pretty decent top 9.

The defense on the other hand is an absolute nightmare and needs a lot of work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad