The struggling Larkin...

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Doesn't have the talent or hockey IQ imo

He's got speed and a shot, that is all. Nothing had improved from last season.

I'm not sure you can qualify saying he has a lot hockey IQ when he can play all 3 situations. Problem is, he used to drive to the outside and burn people. Now, they are playing him closer and earlier, forcing him to the outside on their terms and he's left with nothing to do.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Second year players struggle. It happens. Players know who you are now, you're getting tougher match-ups, you have to adjust.. It sucks, but it happens. Year 3 should be really telling. I'd play him in the middle down the stretch. Our season is over now. It was over after the Washington smashing.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think he'll be fine long term, but he really needs to add strength. When guys are pushing you to the outside you have to have the strength to lean in on them and right now he doesnt. He really needs a full off season to work on the off ice stuff. He also needs to be stuck in a position and allowed to play it.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia

I think he has talent but IQ and strength are problems right now. 20 years old and still growing. I hope he gets better.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
He needs to learn how to play with his speed, rookie year teams were caught of guard. Now teams know Is game. True pros adapt and adjust. The next step is learning go play with speed, but not 100% of the time. Its the game of when to get on the gas and when to get off of it. I like the idea of Larkin and Mantha down the road, big body and a shot, and then speed...

He will learn but he should be playing 2nd line with 3-4 guys ahead of him easily on the depth chart but Detroit doesn't have that... So it.is easy to target him as an oppsoing team. Its literally just stop an aging Zetterberg, and a 20 year old kid when Vanek is out. And I love Vanek but at this point your not drawing up games plans to stop him, your making us stop them.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
He looks so weak on his skates. Any physical pressure and he goes down. Should improve as he hits the gym and gets older. Right now, he doesn't provide much at all.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He looks so weak on his skates. Any physical pressure and he goes down. Should improve as he hits the gym and gets older. Right now, he doesn't provide much at all.

A summer of working out instead of playing should help that. Kid's playing a lot of hockey in the past 18-24 months with multiple national team stints, GR, and Detroit.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

He may not be an all-star but he's definitely talented, though you're correct on the IQ, that one is most concerning imo.

He's still going to be a very good hockey player, at worst he'll be an effective 3rd line player, but I have faith that he'll be a top-6 50-60 point guy at some point in his career.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Once he gains strength and can hold onto the puck more, I think his IQ will become more prevalent. Right now he is so much faster than everyone else (outside of Helm & AA) that he literally skates himself into bad position. He races up ice and there is not one there to support him. Last year he was able to beat people 1 on 1, right now the book is out on him. He needs an off season to just purely train and watch video.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Once he gains strength and can hold onto the puck more, I think his IQ will become more prevalent. Right now he is so much faster than everyone else (outside of Helm & AA) that he literally skates himself into bad position. He races up ice and there is not one there to support him. Last year he was able to beat people 1 on 1, right now the book is out on him. He needs an off season to just purely train and watch video.

The problem is IQ is not something easily improved, sure with experience he'll learn not to rush things, but the truth is we don't know how effective he truly is because so far he has shown to only be very effective when his speed is in play. Now that the league knows his main weapon, the kid is really having a hard time making an adjustment because he's still not strong enough (Which I hope he can improve), and he does not have super hands like McDavid to make that speed work.

My issue with his IQ is more than just him rushing things, he also struggles a lot with positioning himself in the right spot, which is why he struggled thus far on the PP, players with good IQ are able to put themselves in the right spot to put up points on the PP, Larkin seems to lack that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The problem is IQ is not something easily improved, sure with experience he'll learn not to rush things, but the truth is we don't know how effective he truly is because so far he has shown to only be very effective when his speed is in play. Now that the league knows his main weapon, the kid is really having a hard time making an adjustment because he's still not strong enough (Which I hope he can improve), and he does not have super hands like McDavid to make that speed work.

My issue with his IQ is more than just him rushing things, he also struggles a lot with positioning himself in the right spot, which is why he struggled thus far on the PP, players with good IQ are able to put themselves in the right spot to put up points on the PP, Larkin seems to lack that.
It's not like he's doing much worse than anyone else on the powerplay this year. He's 2nd on the team in powerplay goals and 7th in PPP, while being 7th in PP TOI. So basically he's doing what you would expect.
Hockey IQ is hard to gauge, and he'll never be Datsyuk in that regard. But last year he looked like a very smart player. This year he just hasn't been finding any kind of groove, no chemistry and no confidence.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

His speed is neutralized on the PP, because of the controlled cycle environment. I think his biggest issue is he is forced to play on the perimeter when on a PP, because he can't carry the puck into the high danger zones. Even when there is more space out there available. He simply gets knocked off the puck far too easily. If you're not strong on the puck, and don't have hands like Marner or Kane where the D has to respect you and play off of you, you are pretty easy to neutralize.

I think many of Larkin's issues are correctable, either through training or just simply through trial and error of him realizing a lot of stuff that was easy for him last year is not there anymore. I think the offseason is going to be huge for him to try and correct a lot of this stuff.

If he comes back next year, or still has some of these issues as he physically matures, then it will most likely be a matter of IQ. But I have seen enough flashes of him doing the right things to hold out some hope that is not the issue at hand. Time will tell though. I think he is a very proud player and will come back next year on a mission to prove himself.

Aug 6, 2012
He's fast but his feet have slowed down. Seems to happen to a lot of the Wings emerging players after their initial season. Needs to be less on his heels. Questioning his hockey IQ and vision is interesting... that's what made him very good last year. Definitely not showing it this year tho.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
He's fast but his feet have slowed down. Seems to happen to a lot of the Wings emerging players after their initial season. Needs to be less on his heels. Questioning his hockey IQ and vision is interesting... that's what made him very good last year. Definitely not showing it this year tho.

Who wants to play for Blashill?

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
His speed is neutralized on the PP, because of the controlled cycle environment. I think his biggest issue is he is forced to play on the perimeter when on a PP, because he can't carry the puck into the high danger zones. Even when there is more space out there available. He simply gets knocked off the puck far too easily. If you're not strong on the puck, and don't have hands like Marner or Kane where the D has to respect you and play off of you, you are pretty easy to neutralize.

I think many of Larkin's issues are correctable, either through training or just simply through trial and error of him realizing a lot of stuff that was easy for him last year is not there anymore. I think the offseason is going to be huge for him to try and correct a lot of this stuff.

If he comes back next year, or still has some of these issues as he physically matures, then it will most likely be a matter of IQ. But I have seen enough flashes of him doing the right things to hold out some hope that is not the issue at hand. Time will tell though. I think he is a very proud player and will come back next year on a mission to prove himself.

Pretty much agree with this.

Would you send him down to GR for thier playoff run since the big club isn't going to make it? I would if he is playing 20+ a night as center. Then I'd hope he would be taking the offseason pretty serious. The Wings should set him up with someone like Bill Guerin. (Isn't he the former player with the off season training?)

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
He just needs to gain some strength and learn to slow the game down a little. He'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad