The struggling Larkin...

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I'm actually quite surprised that through 22 games this is not a bigger issue on our board. Whats going on with this kid? Last year he slowed on the second half of the season but I assumed fatigue, now I'm not so sure anymore.

There was a few things I was concerned about last year despite his early success, and they were things that dealt with his positioning game and hockey IQ, this year so far he's proving that these are indeed issues, I mean 1 assist in 22 games? That's pretty insane for a kid that we assumed would take top line center duties at some point this season.

Don't get me wrong, he still looks good on the ice when hes not scoring, but if he's not scoring, he's pretty much a bottom six guy, and while I don't mind having another Helm like player in our hands, I'm disappointed because I thought we had picked our next star.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He's got a lot of talent, but he hasn't really found a way to produce offense up the middle on a regular basis. Defenders know he's going to try to go wide every time, and it makes him predictable. He also hasn't really found his playmaking game at the NHL level yet.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Needs time.

He'll eventually be a 60 point player in his prime, I hope, but for now he just needs to keep playing centre and develop more tricks to his game.

The concerns about hockey IQ and positioning are valid, but gradually he's showing signs that these are developing.

There was a play that stood out where he drove the net and instead of taking the low percentage shot he dropped it back for Vanek who probably should have scored.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I will tell you the one thing that really drives me nuts about him is that he's out there begging for calls. Every time he gets pushed off the puck, he's looking to the ref for a call. Every time he falls down, he struggles to get back into the play because he's making some stupid point to the ref.

Tighten that chinstrap, son, and get to work.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I will tell you the one thing that really drives me nuts about him is that he's out there begging for calls. Every time he gets pushed off the puck, he's looking to the ref for a call. Every time he falls down, he struggles to get back into the play because he's making some stupid point to the ref.

Tighten that chinstrap, son, and get to work.

At least I haven't really noticed any embellishment by him this season, which was my biggest criticism of him last season.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
This could be seen a mile away, before his first NHL season he went to the world's. Had a full nhl season and then he went to the world's again and then after that he went to the world cup.. The kid needs to chill and have a full off season to get rested and to work on balance, body strength and other skills like face offs.

In the long run I think getting that many games under his belt getting tips from different coaches and different players will be good for him, but it definitely led to what we are seeing now. I mean he is a guy that relies a lot on his speed, which take a lot of energy he needs to build strength/endurance and balance.

Also switching so much between Center and the wing must be challenging, he has to think the game in a different way depending on his position. Especially hard when you are coming in to the league when none of the positions feel natural yet at this level.

Give him time, I still see a kesler kind of player in him and could hit peak seasons at 70+ points. Kesler didn't produce much of any offense in his first 3 seasons.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Last year he just beat people with speed, and that is harder to do the 2nd time around. Once he adds strength and can drive the net more, his play will improve. He also needs to get used to using his teammates more. Last season with Z & Abby, it was basically do it yourself. Z cannot shoot anymore and Abby is useless outside of screening. Let him stick at center with Nyquist & Vanek for a bit and I think you'll see the playmaking start to come out a bit.

I expected him to struggle some this year. If he makes positive leaps in the 2nd half of the season I won't be concerned long term.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last season
38% starts from offensive zone
24% starts from defensive zone

This season
33% starts from offensive zone
34% starts from defensive zone

Makes some difference on scoring with every player on the league.

Aug 6, 2012
Sophomore slump but still lots to be excited about. You can't ignore his performance last season... kid has all the tools to be a very special player.

Needs to start driving the middle more with the puck though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tatar, Larkin, and Dekeyser have been the 3 most disappointing Wings for me so far. I think they can all play better than they have.

FWIW Larkin has the best CF% on the team, and he is the best on the team at entering the zone. His 66 shots lead the team by 16 shots. He is doing some things well, but in saying this obviously he still needs to do better.

He can score and distribute well in transition, but I really need to see him be a better playmaker when we set up in the zone. I think he has good hockey IQ and vision, I don't think that's his issue personally. I think the biggest thing is probably that he needs to get stronger so he can hold onto the puck a second longer and allow others to get open. That was the biggest catalyst in Zetterberg and Datsyuk becoming elite playmakers.

That said, he has 5 assists in his last 43 games... He had 18 assists in his first 48 games.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I also think his ego/ confidence took a bit of a hit at the WC. I mean this kid went from being elected to the all star game/ being a Calder candidate, and being one of his teams leading scorers/ go to guys to barely playing on a young stars team even when he was producing. I think that knocked him down a peg or two, which is a big deal for a young player.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Tatar, Larkin, and Dekeyser have been the 3 most disappointing Wings for me so far. I think they can all play better than they have.

FWIW Larkin has the best CF% on the team, and he is the best on the team at entering the zone. His 66 shots lead the team by 16 shots. He is doing some things well, but in saying this obviously he still needs to do better.

He can score and distribute well in transition, but I really need to see him be a better playmaker when we set up in the zone. I think he has good hockey IQ and vision, I don't think that's his issue personally. I think the biggest thing is probably that he needs to get stronger so he can hold onto the puck a second longer and allow others to get open. That was the biggest catalyst in Zetterberg and Datsyuk becoming elite playmakers.

That said, he has 5 assists in his last 43 games... He had 18 assists in his first 48 games.

Yeah, 100% agree. Patience and strength and that will push Larkin up in his game.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think he has good hockey IQ and vision,
Haven't seen this yet.

I've seen:

Fantastic speed. Great acceleration. Good hands. Good shot.

I want to see and haven't yet:

Top6 C vision and playmaking. Puck battle winning. Lower body strength.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's been unlucky to only have 1 assist. Last couple of games especially he has started to look really good.

That said it's a pretty typical sophomore slump season for him. He's fighting through some of the first real adversity he's faced in his career. I think he's starting to show signs of learning, being more patient with the puck and slowing the game down. Hopefully he starts to get it going at some point this season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Haven't seen this yet.

I've seen:

Fantastic speed. Great acceleration. Good hands. Good shot.

I want to see and haven't yet:

Top6 C vision and playmaking. Puck battle winning. Lower body strength.

I almost always like his decisions with the puck. I think when you are the fastest guy on the ice (often by a lot) it's easy to just fly through the neutral zone and gain the zone and get a wrister with the defense back on their heels. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but I think sometimes he is probably better suited to pull up and wait for reinforcements and set up in the zone.

He has 33% more shots than the 2nd guy on the team. Maybe he feels pressure to shoot on a team full of pass-first guys.

I don't know, but I don't think there is any reason he couldn't become a good playmaker. Nothing about how he plays makes me think he has low hockey IQ. I think it may be more of learning you don't have to do it all yourself, and also that you don't have to be balls to the walls all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad