The Steven Stamkos Playoffs (Non-)Performance Thread

Should the Bolts Strip Stamkos of the C?

• Total voters

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
You really want a player who constantly does dumb **** when frustrated to be your captain? If the C was to be given to someone it's probably Point.

Constantly? You mean two, three times in his career.

Kucherov is the best player in the world right now and the best playoff performer in Tampa. Give him the C.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Constantly? You mean two, three times in his career.

Kucherov is the best player in the world right now and the best playoff performer in Tampa. Give him the C.
Yes, constantly. He's the best player on our team, but he's not the type of player to look up to when it comes to other areas of the game. Usually it's not as visible as it was last game, but if you do a good job at defending Kucherov, he'll probably take one or two slashes at your ankles during the game. Point would be a much better leader.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Whole team is a playoff choke, top to (almost) bottom.

Vasy and Cooper equally share the biggest piece of the choke award for me right now, though. Vasy has been absolutely awful. Soft goals left and right, enormous rebounds. Awful.

Cooper has done nothing to adjust to Columbus, sat one of the steadier Dmen we have in Coburn hasn't (until today) done enough line juggling to try and get something going.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Cooper is their BFF. He would never do this. I think that is another layers to the problems we face.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
If Lightning can't turn this series around, I do believe the Lightning should strongly consider trading him.

The Wings, much like the Lighting, had great regular seasons during the mid-90's and it wasn't until they started to utilize more grit on their top 6 (by adding Shanahan and utilizing Lapointe more) that they got the playoff results they were looking for.

I feel the Lightning need a Coffey for Shanhan type of deal.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
For everyone posting Kucherov’s and Stamkos’ stats saying how they aren’t playoff chokers, they aren’t getting the point.

They don’t show up in the big games. It’s easy to beat up on the Devils. But they had two shots to eliminate the Caps last year, and they were shutout both times. Where were Kucherov and Stamkos? They’re the team leaders, they need to step up.

What about the 2015 finals? Is it acceptable to only have 2 and 1 point in a 6 game series? People will stop calling them chokers when they show up for the real big games.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What about the 2015 finals? Is it acceptable to only have 2 and 1 point in a 6 game series? People will stop calling them chokers when they show up for the real big games.

I mean anything can happen when you're talking a 7 game series. Kucherov for his playoff career has been mostly fine in terms of production.

Stamkos on the other hand has been well below a PPG for his career in the playoffs which seems bad for a player of his caliber.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
He and Kucherov will be traded this off season

Toilets will start flushing clockwise.

To be honest, I liked Tampa Bay.

But having seen the whiny - knee jerk reactions to the series from their fans on HF, I'm now rooting for Columbus so they go away, and hopefully soon.

Some of their fans are being dramatic, but I also get the frustration.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Yes but no. You can't do that to him - especially after a great regular season. But yes in terms of he doesn't deserve to carry the C when he is this bad in the playoffs with a long track record of it too. Optics would be way too bad to strip him tho so no.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
They should put up missing person posters of him around Tampa....

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
11 G6 vs pens: 0pts
11 G7 vs pens: 0pts
11 G6 vs Boston: 3pts (1G+2A)
11 G7 vs Boston: 0pts
14 G4 vs habs: 0pts
15 G6 vs wings: 1pt (1A)
15 G7 vs wings: 0pts
15 G7 vs NYR: 0pts
15 G6 vs hawks: 0pts
16 G7 vs pens: 0pts
18 G7 vs caps: 0pts

4pts in 11 career games his team is facing elimination, 0pts in game 7s. Definition of a choker. What's worse for Tampa is that he seems to be rubbing off on Kucherov and the rest too.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He really played well this year and then umm yea. Playoffs seems to be his kryptonite. Looking for him to have a strong game. I mean we need all our guys to have strong games tonight. Stamkos will be looking to have his best postseason performance I feel tonight.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Stamkos plight is literally the exact same thing Steve Yzerman went through.

Yzerman won his first cup when he was 31. Before that he was called a playoff choker too. Scotty Bowman nearly traded him.

And even after he won his cups, he's was still a part of all-time hall of fame teams that were beaten in the first round in an epic upset for the ages (Anaheim and Edmonton).

Winning the Stanley Cup has always been insanely difficult.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I mean, being charitable, nobody but Gretzky puts up big numbers in game sevens, so it's not like you expect a bunch of goals and assists. But we've seen players with less talent than Stamkos -- Trevor Linden comes to mind -- be major studs in game sevens, while Stamkos has (since his final game of 2010-11) been a major dud.

In 3 game sevens Brandon Saad has 2 goals and 1 assist.
In 4 game sevens Patrick Sharp has 3 goals.
In 5 game sevens Jonathan Toews has 4 goals and 1 assist.
Kane has 5 assists in 5 games.
Seabrook and Hossa each have 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 games.

Big-game players show up in big games, maybe Stamkos just doesn't have it in him. He has a chance to prove everybody wrong now and lead the Bolts to an epic comeback. I'm cheering for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad