The Steven Stamkos Playoffs (Non-)Performance Thread

Should the Bolts Strip Stamkos of the C?

• Total voters

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The Sharks took it from Marleau and Thornton and kept both of them

And did that change their playoff success ? Because I know Marleau left in the end anyways. I know it wasn’t related to captaincy but I can garuntee you no player likes getting the C stripped off their chest

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
And did that change their playoff success ? Because I know Marleau left in the end anyways. I know it wasn’t related to captaincy but I can garuntee you no player likes getting the C stripped off their chest

The went from "perennial chokers" to the Cup Final in his first season as captain. Jumbo, who had just been stripped of the captaincy, had probably his best playoffs ever.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yet you won't ever hear about it on a national tv (US or Canada). Because you know - he ain't no Russian.

What? Literally all I have heard is this on Canadian TV. I mean they aren't singling him out but that is because there is an allstar core on there and all of them have failed to show up. They all deserve the blame.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nope.

Unless Tampa management/teammates know something we don't. If the teammates don't follow/listen to Stamkos - or if he's feeling extreme pressure/not able to cope - or if it's become 100% obvious to everyone in the room that the real and true leader of the team has now become someone else on the roster.....maybe. Those could be valid reasons to do a change.

But from the outside perspective - you don't strip a player of a C for bad on-ice play. That's horrible. You could trade him if you're dissatisfied - but don't change the C. It will just lead to more trouble.

Pacioretty in Montreal was clearly something that had to end last summer - but at no time did it make sense to strip him of the C. It just makes things so much worst.

Reactions: behemolari

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nope.

Unless Tampa management/teammates know something we don't. If the teammates don't follow/listen to Stamkos - or if he's feeling extreme pressure/not able to cope - or if it's become 100% obvious to everyone in the room that the real and true leader of the team has now become someone else on the roster.....maybe. Those could be valid reasons to do a change.

But from the outside perspective - you don't strip a player of a C for bad on-ice play. That's horrible. You could trade him if you're dissatisfied - but don't change the C. It will just lead to more trouble.

Pacioretty in Montreal was clearly something that had to end last summer - but at no time did it make sense to strip him of the C. It just makes things so much worst.

I think this might be one of those situations. I'm not on the inside, but I think Point is the guy they rally around.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Kucherov gets most of the heat, but stamkos hasnt looked good last couple of playoffs.

Is he a playoff choker?

Which is so so so very stupid. I saw someone post "Kucherov's playing dirty because he can't score in the playoffs when things tighten up"...that's an unacceptable take unless this is the first year you've ever watched hockey. Dude was ppg in the playoffs before he was in the regular season, he's had a bad two games.

But yeah, Stamkos has been bad in the playoffs for a long time, its not too late to turn that around though.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Stamkos choking in the playoffs is rubbing off on the Lightning constantly choking in the playoffs.

So yes

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Pretty simple question. Stamkos underachieves in the playoffs... A LOT. And generally you want your leaders to be the guys that elevate their game the most when the hockey matters most. Pretty clear at this point that Stamkos might never have that second or third gear needed to win the playoffs.

Since Cooper just signed an extension and is 100% not going anywhere, the Bolts will have to shake things up if they exit the POs in embarrassing fashion, which isn't super unlikely at this point. Outside of trades, changing the C might be the only option.

Should they strip Stamkos of the C and give to a guy like Point?

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
What? Literally all I have heard is this on Canadian TV. I mean they aren't singling him out but that is because there is an allstar core on there and all of them have failed to show up. They all deserve the blame.
Weak excuse. For years it's been all over the media that Ovechkin always dragging Caps down by not showing up when it matters despite having such great teammates like Backstrom, Green, Holtby, Carlson. Now Stamkos with the excuse that he's got team with all stars so everyone is at fault, not just him. Weeeaaak.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Stamkos isn't the right scapegoat, even though as a leader he definitely holds some culpability. He was one of our best players in the Capitals series and I honestly don't think he's been the problem so far. In Game 1, which was far more open, he had 4-5 great chances. In Game 2 we were down and out quickly, and Columbus shut everything down because they could afford to hang back.

Right now our issues are defense and goaltending. When those two hold, and you don't give up the early lead, it's amazing how much things open up for your offense.

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
Honestly, people are way too easy on Stamkos. He should be getting a lot of flak for yet another chokejob in a long list of choke jobs throughout his career. Your best players have to step it up when it matters. Tampa should absolutely consider moving him if he doesn’t show up in the rest of the series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad